3 days in St. P, doing 2-day tour - what to do on the 3rd day?

Leejnd4

We just booked a Baltics cruise on Crystal Symphony that spends 3 days in St. Petersburg. We're probably going to do a 2-day St. Petersburg tour with Denrus. So, what can we do on the third day? What are our options? I know we don't need to get a visa for our Denrus tour - would we have to get one to go do something on our own in St. P on the third day? We don't really want to take another tour - I think after two full days touring, we'll probably be toured out and want to just do something on our own. Any suggestions?

If you are not doing a ship's tour or a tour with a registered guide you need a VISA

I would maybe do a 1/2 day ships tour of something you may have missed or want to see more of

That's what I was afraid of.

Denrus actually offers a 3-day St.P tour, but for some reason they only offer it to Oceania and Azamara cruisers. What gives with that?

Perhaps we'll be able to join a ship tour that only goes to the Hermitage, as we would probably enjoy being able to spend more time there. They haven't posted their excursions for this cruise yet, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what they offer.

Try some of the smaller companies, they will tailor the tours to your needs. We used Anastasia Tours and I would highly recommend them. She will do a three day tour that fits in with your energy level and the amount of time you would like to spend in each place. Her prices we found were very reasonable also.

I'm not locked in...but I can't afford a "private" tour, and I haven't yet met anyone else on my cruise, so I have no idea if we'll be able to find someone to book a van with. Denrus offers "value" tours, with a set itinerary and price, so I don't have to round up fellow cruisers.

I'll go check out Alla, and see if they have something that would work.

That's what I was afraid of.

Denrus actually offers a 3-day St.P tour, but for some reason they only offer it to Oceania and Azamara cruisers. What gives with that?

Guess you will have to try one of those!! :D

It could be those were the only cruise lines that did a 3 day stop so far.

We have booked with SPB tours & she offers 3 day tours maybe you can find others to share the private tour on your roll call

http://www.spb-tours.com/flash.html

Guess you will have to try one of those!! :D

It could be those were the only cruise lines that did a 3 day stop so far.

We have booked with SPB tours & she offers 3 day tours maybe you can find others to share the private tour on your roll call

http://www.spb-tours.com/flash.html

Problem is, there isn't a roll call. The Crystal forum tends to not be quite as active as some other forums in here, and so far I only know of one other CC member even booked for our cruise, and I haven't seen them on the boards lately. So it's not quite as easy to book private tours with others when you can't find anyone else going on your cruise! Hopefully I'll hear of others at some point before we set sail.

Thanks for the link - I'll check it out.

Alla has their own forum, so you can try and reach more folks touring the same time as you. They will also try to join you to an existing tour.

Have you also considered visiting one of the "port calendar" type websites, to see if any other ship's visits coincide with yours?

Problem is, there isn't a roll call. The Crystal forum tends to not be quite as active as some other forums in here, and so far I only know of one other CC member even booked for our cruise, and I haven't seen them on the boards lately. So it's not quite as easy to book private tours with others when you can't find anyone else going on your cruise! Hopefully I'll hear of others at some point before we set sail.

That is too bad they do not have a Roll Call.

You could also ask Viktoria at SPB tours if any other ships in port the same time as yopu are.

She has already asked me about another couple from another ship wishing to join my group.

Alla has their own forum, so you can try and reach more folks touring the same time as you. They will also try to join you to an existing tour.

Have you also considered visiting one of the "port calendar" type websites, to see if any other ship's visits coincide with yours?

That's right, Alla will help you find other folks to fill your tour. There is a message board where you can ask for folks to share the tour with you as well as have Alla working to fill your car or van.

She also offers a value tour as well. Maybe you can combine the value tour with a one day private tour. If you are docked right in town, maybe you can arrange a walking/shopping tour of the down-town area --or to spend more time at the Hermitage. The one thing that I would have loved to do on our tour was to have just walked along the Nevsky Prospect and that area and have spent some time just having coffee in a local cafe and watching the people go by.

Keep this in mind-- the visa is going to cost you at least $100pp (I don't know the going rate these days) if you want to strike out on your own. One way or another you will have to spend money if you plan to leave the ship on day 3. How much will it cost to add another day with Alla?

In any case, you have lots of options and a smaller company may be more willing to be flexible. You still have plenty of time to work on your plan and find the right company to work with. Personally, I suggest Alla but there are many viable options.

The one thing that I would have loved to do on our tour was to have just walked along the Nevsky Prospect

Wandering around in St Petersburg, on Nevsky or along the river embankments, is a great way of spending time, I agree. It's such shame that, to be able to do it alone, you have to cough up a visa fee of 131 dollars (which is the same sum as the state department charges Russians for visas to the US).

The City of St Petersburg wants to lower the barriers to visitors and has asked Russia's parliament to remove the visa requirement from passengers arriving by sea and staying ashore for less than 72 hours. It looks as if this will happen in 2009. But the bad news is that, in the draft law, the change applies to EU citizens only.

I follow this for the "Discover the Baltic" website and you can always find the latest information in its St Petersburg section here:

http://www.discoverthebaltic.com/spb/index.htm

Hi LeeAnne:

When is your cruise with Crystal?

Barb

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and info. I just booked this cruise, and I'm at the very beginning of doing all my research. This, to me, is one of the most fun parts of a cruise - researching all the ports. :) I usually spend way more time doing all the research than I do actually on my vacations! This will be my first Baltics cruise, so I know very little about the region. I have much to learn.

I've been reading good things about Alla - I'll check out the website.

Barb, we're on the June 30-July 11 Stockholm-Copenhagen Crystal Symphony cruise.

Try some of the smaller companies, they will tailor the tours to your needs. We used Anastasia Tours and I would highly recommend them. She will do a three day tour that fits in with your energy level and the amount of time you would like to spend in each place. Her prices we found were very reasonable also.

Also highly rec Anastasia. We did a 3 day tour that was very reasonable, and I can't imagine leaving out anything that we did--it was all wonderful.

Also highly rec Anastasia. We did a 3 day tour that was very reasonable, and I can't imagine leaving out anything that we did--it was all wonderful.

We did a 2 day with Anastasia this past July and I have already contacted her for another 2 day tour in 2010 and has already given me ideas that far out.

LeeAnne --

A bit more food for thought as you make your plans.

Without a doubt St. Petersburg is the highlight of this cruise. At the same time, for various reasons (but less so for passengers docking downtown, which I beleive you might be), St. Peterburg is the most difficult to do on your own. I am not saying impossible to do on your own and I am not saying don't attempt it but having a guide to help you negotiate the language barrier (scarcity of English speakers and the strange alphabet) is a time saver--unless of course, for you, getting from place to place is part of the adventure.

Put your tour budget into StP first. If you have to, cut back in other cities, they are much easier to do on your own. However, do not short change your stay in StP; I promise you that you will regret it if you do.

BTW, here is another reason for considering getting your own visa, especially if Crystal is docking along the Neva and not out of town in the commercial port. With your own visa, you will be able to leave the ship during the evening on your own to take an evening canal cruise OR see the ballet or folkloric show OR eat dinner in a local restaurant without having to depend on the tour company for the visa and the guide needed to leave the ship.

Enjoy the next few months of planning and anticipation!

BTW, here is another reason for considering getting your own visa, especially if Crystal is docking along the Neva and not out of town in the commercial port. With your own visa, you will be able to leave the ship during the evening on your own to take an evening canal cruise OR see the ballet or folkloric show OR eat dinner in a local restaurant without having to depend on the tour company for the visa and the guide needed to leave the ship.

Enjoy the next few months of planning and anticipation!

We are planning on dinner out & the guide will have the driver wait for us for extra $$ so you can still enjoy the evening out without a VISA if you choose.

• 3 weeks later...

Put us down as a strong "third" saying Anastasia was great, super great! In late July, we did Crystal Symphony and had three days in St. Petersburg. Our first day was doing the Moscow one-day trip through Crystal. It was a long, but super day there. Seeing the Kremlin Palace, Red Square, etc. was a once in a lifetime experience, especially to understand fully Russia's complex and long history. We got back to the ship a little before 1 am. We started our custom tour with Anastasia a little later the next day to allow a better timing situation and more rest after the long day in Moscow. Here is what we did in St. Petersburg:

THURSDAY, JULY 31, 2008

10 am, depart Crystal Symphony

11 am-12:30 pm, Catherine's Palace, including Amber Room

1:30-4 pm, Peterhoff & Gardens

4-4:40 pm, Hydrofoil to downtown

5:15-6 pm, St. Isaac's Cathedral

6-7 pm. Private Canal Cruise, just our private guide and us as two couples

7-8 pm, Savior on the Spilt Blood Cathedral, plus a little around the downtown and then return to the ship

This busy day was not as tiring as you might think. We had a nice mix of riding, walking, riding, no long lines, seeing, riding, walking, etc. And the sights and sites!!! WOW!

FRIDAY, AUGUST 1, 2008

8:30 am, Depart Crystal Symphony, shopping stop enroute, more photo opportunities

9:30 am, Hermitage early admission (ahead of crowds and normal 10:30 am opening). No rushing. Plenty time for questions, pictures, soaking up the history, architecture and great art. We brought pre-arranged boxed lunches from the ship and had a great picnic lunch in a our van parked on the great square overlooking Alexander Column and the military headquarters on Palace Square. We could have dined in a regular restaurant, but this saved time and was a perfect outdoor setting in a "to die for" location with a world-class view.

1:30-3 pm, Yusupoff's Palace, just the four of us and our guide in this historic palace.

3-4 pm, Shopping/other options to see or do in main St. Petersburg

5 pm, return back to the ship where they had local dancers do a great show

6 pm, ship departure

It was a super great three days! For people who love to ask questions and take pictures, this was a great experience in two of the most special cities in the world. Lots done and seen in just three days.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

TLCOhio--how much did that tour cost you?

The TOTAL cost was just a little over $1600 for the four of us, two couples, for two full days on the highly active tour we did. This included the services of a licensed English-speaking tour guide, air-conditioned Western vehicle/Mercedes van with a professional driver, all museum entrance fees, photo permits for us two photographers, transfers, boats rides and all the necessary paperwork for VISA-FREE disembarkation (“blanket visa”), etc. This cost will vary based on exchange rate. That exchange rate was higher this past summer than what it is now.

Anastasia gave us a complete list of options and costs. Some were more costly, such as the private boat cruise, just the four of us and our guide on the large boat traveling the canals of St. Petersburg. Costly, but super worth it. With someone like our guide we were able to mix and match, adjust and custom fit based our needs, interests and desired schedule. We started this planning process with Anastasia in January. She was excellent in working through that process, explaining the pro-con factors, etc. Her responsiveness and substance was amazing through the whole six month period leading up to our visit to St. Petersburg. She had our tickets in advance and we didn't have to waiting in lines, be delayed, etc.

There are many, many options. You can't do it all in a day or two or three while there. Getting your flowing and pacing is vital! Ship tours might be a little cheaper, but you pay in lost/wasted time, being marched around in a "crowd", not getting all of your questions answered, etc. Time is money and being most efficient in your limited time there in Russia is worth lots and LOTS! Let me know any other questions.

Terry - I just went to the Crystal forum and found your thread from your cruise, with almost-daily reports. WOW! Great info, great descriptions - a very fun read! I hadn't even considered doing the Moscow thing - it's pretty pricey - but after reading your descriptions, I'm now giving it some serious thought.

So that's my big question right now: is it really worth it? Is it really one of those can't-miss experiences? Or would we be just as happy spending all three days touring St. P? It's a pretty big budget-buster, but if it's really that much of an amazing, unforgettable experience, I'll bite the bullet and fork over the cash, and maybe trim the budget in other areas of the trip.

In the meantime, I'll do some research into Anastasia. The price certainly sounds good!

Terry - I just went to the Crystal forum and found your thread from your cruise, with almost-daily reports. WOW! Great info, great descriptions - a very fun read! I hadn't even considered doing the Moscow thing - it's pretty pricey - but after reading your descriptions, I'm now giving it some serious thought. So that's my big question right now: is it really worth it? Is it really one of those can't-miss experiences? Or would we be just as happy spending all three days touring St. P?

THANKS for the nice comments and reactions/interest! I'll offer up some added background, along with various pro/con factors for your consideration. My wife thought it was lots of money, but she viewed it as very much worth it after completing the trip as a "once in a lifetime" experience.

CON FACTORS: It's a long day! Leave the ship about 8 am (greeted by a small welcoming band dockside); lots of driving and traffic; get back by return flight to the St. Petersburg airport around midnight and back to the ship a little before 1 am. The cost through Crystal Cruises is not cheap, but it does include everything, including all bus transfers, your jet air flights on regularly schedule commercial airlines, lunch on the bus, dinner in a nice/historic club/restaurant, admissions, etc., etc. Moscow is a super large city of about ten million people. There has been huge growth in the suburbs of this city during the past decades or so. Traffic and time from the airport to the main downtown takes about an hour. You can get a good feel as you travel into town through the coach windows about the “new Moscow” with its suburban growth, commerce, advertising, capitalism, etc.

PRO FACTORS: It’s Moscow with its unique sights and sites, from Ivan the Terrible up through Lenin, Stalin and the new Russian leaders of today. After a stop at a new hotel for coffee/tea/break, we ride the Moscow subway and see a couple of their very unique and artistic stations. This subway ride offers a good sampling of real life for people who live and work in Moscow. You will see more key places enroute, including the home of the Bolshoy Ballet, KGB Headquarters, various Stalin era buildings, etc. Then we go to the Kremlin with its 19 historic towers. WOW, you’re really there!

Inside the Kremlin are three key “super stars”. First, was the State Armoury with its spectacular Faberge Eggs, plus so many carriages, crowns, gowns, jewels, etc. Second are the various historic Cathedrals within the Kremlin Walls, plus the Tower Bells, Icon art, etc. Third is the Great Kremlin Palace with its spectacular reception halls, inlaid wood floors, gold and more gold, fancy ceilings, etc. The Czars were crowned here, plus the current heads of the Russian government, etc. The size and scale of these areas are hard to describe in words, let alone reflect and capture the history that has happened in some of these rooms dating back to the late 1400’s. We’ve seen lots all over Europe, but this is something else for eyes, heart and brain.

Then, it’s outside of the Kremlin Walls and walking next door to Red Square and St. Basil’s and the re-done Gum Department Store. Red Square is so historic, especially having grown up seeing the military May Day parades there, visuals of Lenin’s Tomb, etc. Have the words “spectacular” and historic been used too much? Maybe, but it fits for many of these unique places. To be able to “CONTRAST” and compare Moscow and St. Petersburg during these three short days adds to the benefits of seeing both of these great Russian capital cities. Each is a very different and special city.

Is one day too short and limited? YES! You can, however, do and see lots in only that one short day. You get a small sampling above. How often do you get to Russia? The Cold War might not come back in full force, but there are going to increasing and revisited tension in future years involving Russia and its access. Crystal has done this tour many times and has its details down well and timing perfected. Let me know any questions, thoughts or reactions.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Put us down as a strong "third" saying Anastasia was great, super great! In late July, we did Crystal Symphony and had three days in St. Petersburg. Our first day was doing the Moscow one-day trip through Crystal. It was a long, but super day there. Seeing the Kremlin Palace, Red Square, etc. was a once in a lifetime experience, especially to understand fully Russia's complex and long history. We got back to the ship a little before 1 am. We started our custom tour with Anastasia a little later the next day to allow a better timing situation and more rest after the long day in Moscow. Here is what we did in St. Petersburg:

THURSDAY, JULY 31, 2008

10 am, depart Crystal Symphony

11 am-12:30 pm, Catherine's Palace, including Amber Room

1:30-4 pm, Peterhoff & Gardens

4-4:40 pm, Hydrofoil to downtown

5:15-6 pm, St. Isaac's Cathedral

6-7 pm. Private Canal Cruise, just our private guide and us as two couples

7-8 pm, Savior on the Spilt Blood Cathedral, plus a little around the downtown and then return to the ship

This busy day was not as tiring as you might think. We had a nice mix of riding, walking, riding, no long lines, seeing, riding, walking, etc. And the sights and sites!!! WOW!

FRIDAY, AUGUST 1, 2008

8:30 am, Depart Crystal Symphony, shopping stop enroute, more photo opportunities

9:30 am, Hermitage early admission (ahead of crowds and normal 10:30 am opening). No rushing. Plenty time for questions, pictures, soaking up the history, architecture and great art. We brought pre-arranged boxed lunches from the ship and had a great picnic lunch in a our van parked on the great square overlooking Alexander Column and the military headquarters on Palace Square. We could have dined in a regular restaurant, but this saved time and was a perfect outdoor setting in a "to die for" location with a world-class view.

1:30-3 pm, Yusupoff's Palace, just the four of us and our guide in this historic palace.

3-4 pm, Shopping/other options to see or do in main St. Petersburg

5 pm, return back to the ship where they had local dancers do a great show

6 pm, ship departure

It was a super great three days! For people who love to ask questions and take pictures, this was a great experience in two of the most special cities in the world. Lots done and seen in just three days.

Hi Terry,

Enjoyed reading your tour arrangements and comments. I have been researching options and am very interested in Anastasia. It is very difficult to determine who is "the best" when most comments are positive. I believe the price with Anastasia is likely a bit lower and felt additionally reassured by your posiitve review as well as some of my feedback from her. I wonder if you could tell me if you found Yusupov's Palace very different from the others or generally worthwhile. When I contacted Anastasia she suggested that if we wanted to do that palace, we would be rushed if we tried to include the others, and perhaps we should omit Peter & Paul Fortress as you seem to have. It also appears that you didn't do the Metro station. Is this so? I think if you do the hydrofoil, you tend to miss the chance to do the Subway, but I may be wrong.

You also said that you took a boxed lunch from the ship on the second day. What did you do on the first day and was there any problem with taking one from the ship? We are on RCL, but likely will find it similar. It does seem to make sense for timing.

We will only be in port 2 days, so will just try to enjoy what we can there. I also appreciated your comment about feeling like you had a nice balance with your activities while in St Petersburg. Would you change anything if you were to do it again?

I know we all have different tastes and interests, but any feedback is appreciated. Maybe next trip we will get to Moscow!

Thanks so much,

Linda

Archived