Looking for NEWS on VOYAGER-Galveston!!!

TEXASMUNK

We cruise next week and our roll call is planning to meet an hour before muster (I am assuming that is about 3pm) in the Viking Crown Lounge. But looking at the Cruise Compass for a year ago posted by Fighterone, it appears that the VLC will not have bar service at that time. Can anyone who has cruised out of Galveston this month please tell me if muster is still about 4 or 4:15 and if the VCL bar is open before muster? Also, did your roll call meet before muster and if so, where and when and how did that work out? Thanks!

Patti

Please, please, please, do you have compasses?

Yes I have compasses...

Bars open during first day afternoon were:

Sky Bar

Pig and Whistle

Aquarium Bar : probably the best selection for a group gathering

Limited alcohol selections are available while in Galveston (Texas law)

I'm just home today from the Dec. 21st sailing of the Voyager. Overall, I'd give the cruise an A-.

Pros:

*Activities for the sailing

1. Holiday on Ice was spectacular - if that didn't bring a tear to your eye..you are a scrooge

2. Christmas carolling on the Royal Promenade with all the passengers and singers

3. Cruise director reading "Twas the night before Christmas"

*Service

1. Our asst. waiter and cabin steward became quick friends and made us feel like we were honored guests.

2. Plenty of waiters around with fast service

*Weather

1. With the exception of the first day, it was great weather all the way around.

*Portafino

1. What regular dining room food used to be like! Delicious!

*Cabin

1. Junior Suite with more than enough storage for 4 people and we only had two in our cabin. 1/3 of the cabinets had nothing in them!

2. The tub!

Cons:

1. Our Junior Suite room temperature was never quite cool enough for us? Not hot, just not cold like we like it.

2. Room service took 2 hours for a bowl of soup and hot tea?

3. Dining room food was good, never great and sometimes poor.

PBO--

Thanks for your comments about the trip. You were on the Cayman/Jamaica route, right? I look forward to seeing your compasses, and am wondering what nights were formal nights? Thanks...

I think we would all like to see them. If you can email them to me, I can post them on my website for all to see. Thanks!

tron2k1 at yahoo dot com

I will scan them this evening. Formal nights were Monday and Wednesday (Christmas Eve). Think ordinarily it's Friday for second formal.

We cruise next week and our roll call is planning to meet an hour before muster (I am assuming that is about 3pm) in the Viking Crown Lounge. But looking at the Cruise Compass for a year ago posted by Fighterone, it appears that the VLC will not have bar service at that time. Can anyone who has cruised out of Galveston this month please tell me if muster is still about 4 or 4:15 and if the VCL bar is open before muster? Also, did your roll call meet before muster and if so, where and when and how did that work out? Thanks!

Patti

wow, I have never met BEFORE muster. usually it is right after muster for sail away. mostly it has been on e of the pool bars; once it was in Bolero's (Monarch) Good luck

it says in the compass that muster drill is on deck four? can someone tell me excatly where it is held so we don't just run aimlessly around the ship thanks!:)

it depends on where your muster station is. your life jacket will have the number on it & there will be lots of crew pointing you in the right direction.

we are in a Js on deck 7!:)

it depends on where your JS is. for the most part (not always), your muster station is located on the same side of the ship as your cabin & in pretty much the same location on the life boat deck. so if you are all the way AFT on port side (left side), your muster station is the last station AFT on port side. There is a picture of the ship on your cabin door (I think) or somewhere close to the door that shows a dot where your muster station is. Even if you post your cabin number, unless someone has had that same cabin & remembers, odds are high you still won't know exactly where your station is until you get on the ship. Not to worry, the crew will make sure you are in the right station.

You will be directed to return to your cabin, get your lifejackets then proceed to your life boat station. It is posted on the back of your cabin door. You cannot use elevators (unless you are handicapped). They will cram you all into lines and ask for your patience (several times...lol). They will take roll (each lifeboat holds approx. 150 people). There will be saftey announcements from the bridge. Then it is over, it is a zoo getting back to your cabin to dump off the jackets ....then head to the pool deck and enjoy sailaway at 5pm.

Bon Voyage!

Another thing, your muster station could be out on deck or inside the ship. We have been on three cruises with RC and our muster station was on deck, in Portofinos, and the main dining room. So you just never know. It doesn't last very long and when it is over, the fun really begins.

Enjoy your cruise.

You will be directed to return to your cabin, get your lifejackets then proceed to your life boat station. It is posted on the back of your cabin door. You cannot use elevators (unless you are handicapped). They will cram you all into lines and ask for your patience (several times...lol). They will take roll (each lifeboat holds approx. 150 people). There will be saftey announcements from the bridge. Then it is over, it is a zoo getting back to your cabin to dump off the jackets ....then head to the pool deck and enjoy sailaway at 5pm.

Bon Voyage!

ZOO for sure. Once, when I had on a fracture boot, they would not even let me use the elevator--fortunately I only had to go down 1 or 2 decks. they said they would carry a person down if they could not do the stairs:eek:

Your muster station is also on your seapass card ! Just thought I'd drop that little fact......Enjoy :)

I forgot about that one Pete.

Another thing, your muster station could be out on deck or inside the ship. We have been on three cruises with RC and our muster station was on deck, in Portofinos, and the main dining room. So you just never know. It doesn't last very long and when it is over, the fun really begins.

Enjoy your cruise.

in all the cruises we have been on, only been inside once for muster and that was on Carnival! have wished for a chair on the inside before!!!

You can only use the stairs during muster. I never put my jacket on to go down the stairs. I think its too dangerous. I've almost tripped trying to see my feet going down. The collar on the darn jacket is too big:rolleyes: Be sure and take your time getting there too. Then when you get down to your station, they put your jacket on for you. You look stupid, but you get in the front of the line:D;)

ZOO for sure. Once, when I had on a fracture boot, they would not even let me use the elevator--fortunately I only had to go down 1 or 2 decks. they said they would carry a person down if they could not do the stairs:eek:

I got flamed here for complaining about the hard time I got my first RCL cruise muster drill. If we couldnt go up on a elevator, then it wasnt going to happen. The rep got kinda smart mouthed with me, saying well he guessed he couldn't stop me from using the elevator. Everyone here yelled at me for not knowing the drill on my first RCL cruise?? That it was my fault for not getting there early (believe me we have since).

My sister is handicapped both physically and mentally and I'm not so they don't want to allow me to stay with her because I am able to walk the steps.

Muster drills ain't anyones favorite time on the ship!!! lol :D

You can only use the stairs during muster. I never put my jacket on to go down the stairs. I think its too dangerous. I've almost tripped trying to see my feet going down. The collar on the darn jacket is too big:rolleyes: Be sure and take your time getting there too. Then when you get down to your station, they put your jacket on for you. You look stupid, but you get in the front of the line:D;)

depends on the ship--on another cruise, they let me & my sisters go in the elevator--with the same fracture boot!!! I remember asking if I needed to go down early to be able to use the elevator & they said NOPE & let us go down right before muster.

Texasmonk, good point about the coral. While I was snorkeling I kept thinking that with all the development going on on Roatan it wouldn't be long until the coral at Tabyana is dead. I heard a snorkel guide telling people not to stand on or touch the coral, but I wish he had stressed it more. I could really see a difference in the coral around Cozumel and Roatan.

Archived