"Must See, Must Do" on Crown Princess

xnavydoc2

Hello to all,

Just discovered "Y'all" and am having fun reading all the posts. I know I will feel welcome here. My wife and I will be on an Eastern Caribbean cruise aboard the Crown Princess (we are celebrating paying off the mortgage on our house) in April.

My question is this, every place has a "Must See, Must Do" ie When in Las Vegas, one "Must See" the MGM Grand etc. What about the Crown Princess? In your opinion, what are the "Must See Must Do" things on board? This will be our third cruise, have been on NCL and Crystal, loved them both.

Thanks

Hello to all,

Just discovered "Y'all" and am having fun reading all the posts. I know I will feel welcome here. My wife and I will be on an Eastern Caribbean cruise aboard the Crown Princess (we are celebrating paying off the mortgage on our house) in April.

My question is this, every place has a "Must See, Must Do" ie When in Las Vegas, one "Must See" the MGM Grand etc. What about the Crown Princess? In your opinion, what are the "Must See Must Do" things on board? This will be our third cruise, have been on NCL and Crystal, loved them both.

Thanks

One of the things always talked about here is the Chef's Table. $75.00 pp but well worth it. The following is a link to a great review.

Click here: Chef's Table Review - Crown Princess 4/5/08 - Cruise Forums - Cruise Message Boards - Cruise Critic

Also, check out Vines for flights of wines. It's an overlooked venue if you like wine.

Enjoy your cruise and congratulations on paying off the house.

My DH and I have sailed on the Crown twice -- once not so good and the next time around -- fantastic.

Must do: go to the International Cafe for a quick bite but don't make it too quick. They have amazing salads and sandwiches there and cute little cafe style tables from which you can watch for the freshly baked cookies coming out of the oven (too die for) and the strolling entertainment in the lobby

Must do: there are two lines to the seafood buffet -- if the one you are in is two hours long -- hunt for the other one (coming from the aft portion of the ship --- you will save yourself hours

Must do: go to the buffet with a sense of humor!! poor design

Must do: go to the Sanctuary at least once -- yes, you do have to pay but it is well worth the peace and quiet and comfortable day beds. Maybe even get a massage up there

Must do: go to any show or entertainment venue early to ensure a seat! again, poor design and you may get skunked out if you wait too long

Must do: Crooner's martini bar --- go with some song selections -- many fun evenings spent there

Must do: watch a movie under the stars -- bring a hat if ship is moving -- again, get there early for a good seat selection but well worth it. You can grab popcorn or pizza and during the day, they brought milk and cookies around -- very cute idea!!

Have a great time and a big congrats on paying off the house! Definitely something to celebrate

Go to the Lotus spa pool - adults only, very quiet, and warm. Best of all, free despite it appearing like it is part of the Sanctuary (you have to go through the doors marked 'sanctuary' to get to it).

Make sure you get the pizza - really good (and I'm not even a huge pizza lover ;))

And, make sure you go to the champagne waterfall - it was one of the coolest things I've seen (OK, so probably not huge with the cruising regulars but it was so intricate and deliberate. It entralled me from start to finish). Get there early 10:30 or so to get a good viewing spot.

Finally, as someone else mentioned do go to the area over the bridge. On our cruise the port side door was always locked and it did take some time before they opened the starboard door (Thursday, I believe) but keep trying. Well worth the view but be prepared for some wind!!! :D

Do the galley tour too on the last sea day.

Enjoy your cruise and congrats on being mortgage free too!

Miriam

Thanks JFV, by the way, our cabin is on the Plaza Deck, any info on that? I like your Viet Nam Vet icon. When were you there? I was there in 1969 and 70. I was a Navy Corpsman with 3rd Marine Recon. "Welcome Home My Brother"

Sorry, I hdon't have any info on Plaza Deck.

66-67, 1st inf. Div

Thanks

Try the gelato at the International Cafe and don't miss the entertainment in the Piazza!

And if you like to snorkel and plan to do it at several ports, the next best thing to bringing your own (we don't do it anymore because it takes up too much room in our limited luggage space!) is to rent it on board. Get it early the first day out. It is up on the deck where the spa is - a small door in a corner. I hate to get the snorkel equipment they give you on excursions (when was it really cleaned last??!! :eek:) so we get it on board, thoroughly clean it and then use it all week.

Have a great cruise. The Crown was my most favorite of 18 cruises!

Deffinetely do the Chef's Table.....Best single cruise experience out there....

Bob

Diamond Princess Aus/NZ 01/09

Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06

Celebrity Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Carnival Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

Hi we loved the thermal beds in the spa....and all the different saunas and showers.....we got a couples pass for the week..that was on 2006 and think it was about 120.00 not really sure on that...we will be on the Crown next month and hopefully the couples pass wont be too out of sight for price....

also the seafood buffets...I also liked the resistance pool off of the spa...its open to adults only....except for the guy who kept bring his 8 year old kid to it.......the Crown is a beautiful ship......we also enjoyed the different music shows that were held in the lobby at dinnertime..nice place to have a drink and enjoy live music...have a fun cruise

Marianne

And, make sure you go to the champagne waterfall - it was one of the coolest things I've seen (OK, so probably not huge with the cruising regulars but it was so intricate and deliberate. It entralled me from start to finish). Get there early 10:30 or so to get a good viewing spot.

Miriam

Great advice!!! Like someone else said - definitely do the movies under the stars! Also, the midnight comedy shows.... hilarious!

Kerrytens - which day is the champagne waterfall? Is it towards the end of the cruise? I think we missed this last time so want to make sure we don't miss it again!

Also, does anyone know if Princess still does the midnight buffets? This is a must-do, Carnival has started to cut these out, just wondering if Princess has.

I did not know that this was a possibility. Where do you rent this at and how much do they charge? We were considering bringing ours, but have the same thought on how much space it will take in our luggage.

The ship does not rent it, take you own, and it will be much more sanitary....and you know that the mask will fit properly.

Must do: there are two lines to the seafood buffet -- if the one you are in is two hours long -- hunt for the other one (coming from the aft portion of the ship --- you will save yourself hours

2 hours? to stand in line at the buffet?? did people just pull up a chair and start eating?? :eek:

what time was this?

Thanks JFV, by the way, our cabin is on the Plaza Deck, any info on that? I like your Viet Nam Vet icon. When were you there? I was there in 1969 and 70. I was a Navy Corpsman with 3rd Marine Recon. "Welcome Home My Brother"

We sailed on the beautiful Crown in 2006. Our cabin was on the Plaza deck, and we loved it. It is the deck where the International caffe, Vines, Art Gallery, ect are located. Please don't let that put you off though, the cabin (outside P316) was very quiet, you would never know it was such a busy deck. I would book on this deck again in a heart-beat. Having a balcony is not important to us, just as long as we have a window.

Have a great cruise and congrats on no more mortgage!

My vote is to go to the Crown Grill...they have the BEST "black and blue" onion soup! It was my absolute favorite food on the entire cruise. On our last night we went to Da Vinci dining room and I asked the head waiter if he could get me some. He said that he could not fill a special request on that day, but that if I requested it a day in advance, he could! If I had only known that I would have enjoyed it several more times...

Sorry, I hdon't have any info on Plaza Deck.

66-67, 1st inf. Div

Thanks

me and my son were both in the big red one, me 84 -88 my son 08.

...as for the Crown, we are sailing in April too (our first on princess) really looking forward to the trip!

We sailed on the beautiful Crown in 2006. Our cabin was on the Plaza deck, and we loved it. It is the deck where the International caffe, Vines, Art Gallery, ect are located. Please don't let that put you off though, the cabin (outside P316) was very quiet, you would never know it was such a busy deck. I would book on this deck again in a heart-beat. Having a balcony is not important to us, just as long as we have a window.

Have a great cruise and congrats on no more mortgage!

Do you have any pics of the cabin. On May we will be on P315 and wonder about how it looks.

thanks

We just got off the Crown Sunday and a highlight for us was Ultimate Balcony Dining...it was just fabulous. It was pretty windy on the balcony so they set it up in our room. We had three waiters, flowers, candle, 2 drinks, Champaign, and a wonderful dinner...the cost was $100.00 and worth every penny in my opinion. Have a great cruise.

Archived