Cruise Critic's On Mariner Now! Got Questions?

Hi Graytstuff

We are looking forward to meeting you on the ship. Thanks also to the other responders to my questions about reservations at speciality restaurants. I am sure we will not be short of fantastic food. I do hope they don;t make the same mistake that Silversea did when we were on her over Thanksgiving. They served "turkey roll" instead of the real stuff. They almost had a revolt from the Americans on board. I am sure that Regent is a bit more American focused.

Graytstuff we would like to chat more about this cruise with you. Please contact us. email is pvgambleuk@aol.com. We will be spending a few days in LA before the cruise as well. Not sure exactly where to stay. We have booked the Renaissance in West Hollywood at the moment.

Cheers from Rainy UK

Phillip and Stephen

Hi Graytstuff

We are looking forward to meeting you on the ship. Thanks also to the other responders to my questions about reservations at speciality restaurants. I am sure we will not be short of fantastic food. I do hope they don;t make the same mistake that Silversea did when we were on her over Thanksgiving. They served "turkey roll" instead of the real stuff. They almost had a revolt from the Americans on board. I am sure that Regent is a bit more American focused.

Graytstuff we would like to chat more about this cruise with you. Please contact us. email is pvgambleuk@aol.com. We will be spending a few days in LA before the cruise as well. Not sure exactly where to stay. We have booked the Renaissance in West Hollywood at the moment.

Cheers from Rainy UK

Phillip and Stephen

LOL about the turkey roll. I have seen a real roasted turkey on Regent even when it wasn't Thanksgiving thought, so I think there are no worries.

I just found this forum, wife and I are committed to the 11/18 cruise out of Sydney on the Mariner. I was wondering if this was the right thread to find others making this same trip? Ask questions?

I just found this forum, wife and I are committed to the 11/18 cruise out of Sydney on the Mariner. I was wondering if this was the right thread to find others making this same trip? Ask questions?

Hello,

Welcome to CruiseCritic! There is a roll call for the voyage you are on. Just click this link!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=970365

Host Dan

When we were on Voyager, you couldn't hold more than one reservation at a time on Signatures OR Prime 7, but once you went, you could get back on the list.

Debbie, wasn't your cruise the first one after drydock? Was it a 7 night cruise? I'm hearing people having difficulties getting second reservations in Prime 7 on the shorter itineraries (like Alaska). Maybe Regent will decide to do something different with Signatures -- that would give passengers a choice of two great dining venues instead of one great and one so-so:confused:

We also enjoy Signatueres, had our best meal at sea (LCB workshop graduation dinner) there. Believe there is synergy with Signatures as the LCB outlet and Regent's offering the LCB workshop

Signatures has been inconsistent for at least two years. Several regular CC posters have had poor meals there (including us). If they can get their quality up to that of 2-3 years ago, we'd be happy to dine there in the future. It is interesting that Prime 7 has been full recently and Signatures usually has open spots for walk-ins. There is more to it than just the fact that Prime 7 is new and has rave reviews. JMO

We just completed our first Regent Mariner cruise from Seward to Vancouver ending May 27. Our meal, service, ambiance, etc., was perfection at Signatures.

Prime7 on the other hand gave mediocre service, overdone,crab and lobster with a rushed attitude.

Compass Rose was excellent in all respects also. We preferred Compass Rose over Signatures.

Signatures has been inconsistent for at least two years. Several regular CC posters have had poor meals there (including us). JMO

I don't think "inconsistancy" is a good reason to close Signatures down even if there was evidence of this. I know that you, Travelcat2, felt you had a poor evening there in your last cruise, but in your review you said that other cruisers had a different experience and in the review of your previous cruise you felt the meal was "excellent". I have read through some other reviews for Voyager, (I haven't gone through Mariner's reviews) and don't find much criticism. So for my part, I do hope a bandwagon doesn't get under way to change Signatures to yet another commonplace theme. Also JMO.

I don't think "inconsistancy" is a good reason to close Signatures down even if there was evidence of this. I know that you, Travelcat2, felt you had a poor evening there in your last cruise, but in your review you said that other cruisers had a different experience and in the review of your previous cruise you felt the meal was "excellent". I have read through some other reviews for Voyager, (I haven't gone through Mariner's reviews) and don't find much criticism. So for my part, I do hope a bandwagon doesn't get under way to change Signatures to yet another commonplace theme. Also JMO.

Definitely not trying to start a bandwagon to change Signatures. We did have a poor meal on our last Voyager cruise as well as our Mariner cruise (did not review it on CC but did on another site). DebbieH103 had very salty food in Signatures and has discussed it on more than one thread.

There have also been some different reports of the Signatures menu. We saw the same menu on the Mariner in May, 2008 and the Voyager in October, 2008. Someone else said their menu changes (on the Mariner). It would be more appealing if the menu did change around a bit -- particularly on 14 night itineraries.

I'll definitely be checking it out on the Voyager in September. We are doing the Le Cordon Bleu class and will have an opportunity to use their kitchen and have the graduation dinner at Signatures.

We are generally big fans of the cuisine on Regent ships (loved Latitudes) and am counting the days until I can make a reservation for Prime 7:)

Hi, Hambagahle, thanks for the info -- I have dug a little deeper into the galley issue. According to cruise line folks onboard, Seven Seas Mariner did not have a “proper” galley next to the Latitudes (rather it was a pantry-type of facility). Now the restaurant is supported by a fully-equipped hot galley, which at least in my experience, was a reason for the very high food quality.

You are right about the Coffee Connection. It was actually added to Seven Seas Mariner on the previous dry dock some two years ago.

To answer another question: I was asked about the sound levels of the newly combined library and coffee bar; the area’s got a wooden floor so could be kind of noisy when crowded or when people are moving chairs around.

Teijo

Are there staterooms over or beside the coffee area that would be disturbed by the noise?

Is the noise level louder on H deck as a result of all the common areas on that deck?

Thank you.

Regarding the Coffee Connection. . . . you could probably hear the scraping of chairs if your suite is below it (the same kind of thing that happens if you are below the pool or La Veranda). I found the Coffee Connection quite noisy -- especially if you are on the computer or the library hoping for some quiet time. The new coffee area on the Voyager is in a much more secluded area (it seems that they try things on the Mariner first -- then make corrections on the Voyager)

My advice when selecting a suite is to simply look at what is above you that could cause noise. Of course, on the Navigator and Voyager, avoid the aft suites unless you are not bothered by vibration. If you are prone to seasickness, low and midship is the best place to be. :)

Are there staterooms over or beside the coffee area that would be disturbed by the noise?

Is the noise level louder on H deck as a result of all the common areas on that deck?

Thank you.

Regarding the Coffee Connection. . . . you could probably hear the scraping of chairs if your suite is below it (the same kind of thing that happens if you are below the pool or La Veranda). I found the Coffee Connection quite noisy -- especially if you are on the computer or the library hoping for some quiet time. The new coffee area on the Voyager is in a much more secluded area (it seems that they try things on the Mariner first -- then make corrections on the Voyager)

My advice when selecting a suite is to simply look at what is above you that could cause noise. Of course, on the Navigator and Voyager, avoid the aft suites unless you are not bothered by vibration. If you are prone to seasickness, low and midship is the best place to be. :)

Have no fear. The H suites on deck 7 are not noisy because of the Coffee Connection on deck 6 or the common areas on deck 7 of the Mariner. Deck 7 is the lowest deck containing suites on the Mariner. The Coffee Connection is on top of Compass Rose which is located on deck 5.

Dave

Hi,

We are booked on Mariner in October around SE Asia for 16 nights. It is our first trip on Regent, although we have done other cruises.

We are keen ballroom dancers: we often find that dancing aboard is a bit disappointing - not enough room, poor music, short sessions.

Can you tell us what we can expect on Mariner? We also take our own music and try to find some space to practice on deck or in unused parts of the ship - is this an option?

Many thanks,

Quest Couple

Hi,

We are booked on Mariner in October around SE Asia for 16 nights. It is our first trip on Regent, although we have done other cruises.

We are keen ballroom dancers: we often find that dancing aboard is a bit disappointing - not enough room, poor music, short sessions.

Can you tell us what we can expect on Mariner? We also take our own music and try to find some space to practice on deck or in unused parts of the ship - is this an option?

Many thanks,

Quest Couple

Just thought I'd mention that this is a very old thread -- no one from CruiseCritic is currently on the Mariner. You might want to start a new thread regarding dancing, music, etc. -- you'll receive more responses.:)

• 4 weeks later...

We are somewhat veteran cruisers (10 in all, 5 with Princess), but have just booked our first cruise with RSSC. Next year will be our 30th wedding anniversary and we have booked the June 28th, 2010, sailing from Istanbul to Rome on the Mariner. Would very much like to be contacted by folks who have sailed on Mariner in the last couple of years, and especially anyone who is booked on the same cruise. It would be nice to get to know our fellow cruisers before the trip. :rolleyes:

Archived