Solstice - Somewhat disappointing (Lengthy)

lddam

I loved the bathroom!! Tons of storage which there is never enough in the bathroom and the little foot bar in the shower was a nice touch. The closet, however, was too small I mean really small. I bring generally the same clothes every cruise and it couldn't fit it all. I liked the shelves over the bed and the drawers in the dresser were nice.

In 1974 my house was totally destroyed by a tornado, leaving me with two young children and homeless. And by the way, the government didn't come to our aid, so we were on our own. If I learned nothing else from this harrowing experience I learned: DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF.

"Sweating the Small Stuff" includes being bothered by a review that includes some negatives.;)

I thought that the OP wrote a very interesting, balanced review. He emphasized that they had a wonderful cruise experience and that the issues that they were disappointed with were minor annoyances.

JMHO, but I think he deserves credit for taking the time to post his thoughts (in a very well written format) rather than being criticized for his attitude.

We are in SR 9247, which I think has the bed next to the Balcony. Was your bed next to the bathroom bulkhead? I believe the Solstic alternates the configuration, so knowing yours would help us know 9247. It looks like 9245-47 are connecting. I understand the connection is a common entry area, not a door through a common wall. True?

How as the view from the Veranda and how quiet was the room quite?

Thanks in advance.

My opinon on changing venues is that a number of the entertainment groups repeat their songs/music/etc, so if a particular group was always at the same venue same time, you might 'see' many repeats. I noticed that with a quartet we enjoyed on the Infinity - many repeats. My personal wish is I like the groups to rotate through the various venues, but that is subjective.

The Infinity did lock the mini-bar up the night before we pulled in. I normally don't use this, so haven't noticed on other Celebrity cruises. Did this time.

Denny

We are going on Equinox in November and I appreciate the honest review. Knowing some of the things you found disappointing will help us be ready for some of these things and hopefully "knowing" will equal not disappointed. I always like everyones opinions - good and bad. I feel that the more different opinions I have read, I can form my own opinion of how important I think each thing is by the time I get on the ship or to the hotel, and I am ready for what is going on and don't have my expectations too high.

We are in SR 9247, which I think has the bed next to the Balcony. Was your bed next to the bathroom bulkhead? I believe the Solstic alternates the configuration, so knowing yours would help us know 9247. It looks like 9245-47 are connecting. I understand the connection is a common entry area, not a door through a common wall. True?

How as the view from the Veranda and how quiet was the room quite?

Thanks in advance.

Denny -

In 9245, the bed is located closer to the bathroom. The two cabins are connecting, and you are correct in that they share a common entry area not the traditional door through a common wall. We found the room to be very quiet and the only time we heard our neighbors is if we and they happen to be on our verandas at the same time. Because these rooms are so close to the "bulge" it is not possible to sight down the side of the ship when looking forward. However, we did not find this to be a problem and simply enjoyed the vistas open before us.

Have a great time on your cruise...Bon Voyage.

On the Infinity, we had a veranda that was 'blocked' forward a bit and I kind of liked it because it also blocked the wind - which was strong at Cape Horn and in the Chile Fyords. The only trouble was I would lead out over the rail a bit to see forward, and unfortunately, our neighbor saw me leaning, and I think she thought I was 'peeping' around the veranda wall! Embarrassing, but funny. Bought them a drink when I saw her staring at me in a lounge. We got a good laugh.

Altough I can be accused of being a Celebrity-Polyanna a bit, I understood the point of your review and appreciated it.

Denny

:DWow! How wonderful that so many pax attended Mass on your Solstice cruise!

Usually, it's pretty disheartening to see how few Catholics attend Mass, especially on vacation.

I'm glad they HAVE mass....i haven't had mass on an RC cruise since the 1st one on Adventure.....hopefully there is always a priest onboard......

"Sweating the Small Stuff" includes being bothered by a review that includes some negatives.;)

I thought that the OP wrote a very interesting, balanced review. He emphasized that they had a wonderful cruise experience and that the issues that they were disappointed with were minor annoyances.

JMHO, but I think he deserves credit for taking the time to post his thoughts (in a very well written format) rather than being criticized for his attitude.

Nicely said Susan. I also thought it was a fair and balanced review and I'm glad the OP took the time to write it all out for us. Thank you very much!

Bummer about the theatre. Celebrity finally moves forward by leaps and bounds on the shows on this ship and with a theatre design that waters the experience down. I loved all the theatres with the tables that lit up from underneath the glass and the comfort of the overall seating design. They also were successful in the past where they had bragging rights to impressive sight lines.

Oh well OP, (sigh) I guess I will have to rough it with my Sambucca in March too. :o

I wonder if the theatre design is so more people can be accommodated? It was rare to see people sit as close on those long sofas as they do when there are seats. Also, I suppose, the lack of tables allows more rows.

I was intrigued by the comment about the lounge entertainment. I wonder if the rotating of the talent is a reaction to previous criticisms we've read where folks don't like that a group in the same lounge all week gets monotonous, since they generally only have one night's set? Just a thought.

Thank you for your post and I'm so glad you brought up the locking-of-the-mini bar issue. This happened to us on Millenium last year when they removed my medication from the mini bar and left it in the bathroom. I was very surprised and annoyed as no other cruise line has done this. I even said to my husband, "Isn't our cruise supposed to be seven days long?" But I didn't complain at the time. I'm glad you did. On Solstice this year they did not lock the mini bar or remove my meds but did put new robes for the next passengers in the closet.

I also agree with you about the armrests in the seats in the theater. But for me what really made me miss M-Class after going on Solstice were some big things: not having a T-pool, the Persian Gardens being far inferior, and the cafe and Aqua Spa Cafe not having enough seating. And also a lot of little things: no water in the room, no late-night bites, awkward plate carrying without trays in cafe etc.

I'm sorry if people don't like to read complaints -- and certainly no one wants to hear griping on a vacation -- but it's reflections after a cruise (when you're thinking of which line to book the next cruise on) and observations like this that help a line improve. With one-week cruises costing upwards of $4,000, money getting tighter and tighter, and cruiselines getting more competitive I would hope Celebrity would want to hear how they could improve.

I wonder if the theatre design is so more people can be accommodated? It was rare to see people sit as close on those long sofas as they do when there are seats. Also, I suppose, the lack of tables allows more rows.

I was intrigued by the comment about the lounge entertainment. I wonder if the rotating of the talent is a reaction to previous criticisms we've read where folks don't like that a group in the same lounge all week gets monotonous, since they generally only have one night's set? Just a thought.

Lee, I think you are spot on with the occupancy. People gravitated around the tables and it provided a nice niche for familar groups. Not theatre style seating at all. Why did it have to change??? (Hear me whining?:D)

I too was surprised about the lounge entertainment. It seems a double edge sword to me, but I enjoyed being a vagabond on several RCCL ships so I think I can be OK with this. That is if I ever decide to venture out of the Martini Bar. ;)

OP thanks for the perspective and details. It will help me have a better cruise in March!

OP, thanks for a well-written, thoughtful review. I agree with you about the theater design; I miss the tables too. I was on the Solstice in December and had a great time. Nevertheless, I really prefer M-Class ships because I like having aft elevators and stairs. That's just my personal preference though. My next cruise will be a TA on the Equinox and I'm sure I'll have a good cruise, especially since I'll be traveling with a large group of friends. But the cruise after that, if it's on Celebrity, will be back on M-Class.

p.s. We especially liked the acapella quartet on our Solstice cruise and felt like we were on a scavenger hunt trying to track them down in the evenings!;)

We were in a CC cabin on Galaxy in 2007 and they took my flowers away on the evening of our last night, leaving a forlorn empty vase.... as you say Lddam, its not a major issue, just a bit disappointing.

I dont really think it would be too much extra work or trouble for them to be thrown away on the morning of departure after we have left ( even if they were on the wrong side of "fresh" ;) )

And on Solstice last week, they took away the vase and left the flowers. And I really had planned to take the vase home, as it came as a "gift" for Captains Club.

(I would have rather had a hat or Cova chocolates)

The OP wrote an excellent review which was not only very well written, but really informative for all of us who may be considering this ship. That's what I thought Cruise Critic was all about. I want to know what experienced cruisers have to say about the various ships. Clearly, the OP was discerning in his taste and thorough in his commentary. I loved it! include me in the number of posters who appreciated his review and all other reviews which include such attention to detail.

Now on the subject of posting negative commentary and expressing disappointment, I have never understood the backlash that comes from some posters on the Celebrity boards. The intense loyalty and the degree to which these individuals take offence to any kind of criticism, makes me wonder just how much money they must have invested in the company's stock...;)

To dismiss this person's critique of the ship and his experience onboard the ship as an indication that he hasn't suffered enough in his life is simply ridiculous. To refer to his criticisms as petty just doesn't make any sense. We read these reviews to learn about the positive and negative aspects of particular ships. We are all able to draw our own conclusions at the end of the day. Are we not?

The OP wrote an excellent review which was not only very well written, but really informative for all of us who may be considering this ship. That's what I thought Cruise Critic was all about. I want to know what experienced cruisers have to say about the various ships. Clearly, the OP was discerning in his taste and thorough in his commentary. I loved it! include me in the number of posters who appreciated his review and all other reviews which include such attention to detail.

Now on the subject of posting negative commentary and expressing disappointment, I have never understood the backlash that comes from some posters on the Celebrity boards. The intense loyalty and the degree to which these individuals take offence to any kind of criticism, makes me wonder just how much money they must have invested in the company's stock...;)

To dismiss this person's critique of the ship and his experience onboard the ship as an indication that he hasn't suffered enough in his life is simply ridiculous. To refer to his criticisms as petty just doesn't make any sense. We read these reviews to learn about the positive and negative aspects of particular ships. We are all able to draw our own conclusions at the end of the day. Are we not?

yes...you're right. mea culpa.

We are booked on the Equinox in October, so really appreciated your review. We are elite on Celebrity and have enjoyed many enjoyable cruises.

I must admit many of the issues you raise as disappointing, I too would find less than agreeable. The info you provided with help us anticipate and try to avoid repeating some of these experiences to the extent possible. For example, we have found sometimes room stewards removed robes a day in advance on a ship, so now we tell our steward we intend to use the robes. I am inclined to do the same with the refigerator, don't know that it will work but do believe in letting the staff know our desires and management too.

Also think it is important to fill out comment cards with such info.

I do find it interesting that Celebrity had made such a PR issue that they involved "women" in making design suggestions for the cabins, yet the amount of storage space is less than desirable and not very well organized. I highly doubt woman passengers had much input from what I have read and seen looking at the pictures passengers have posted.

So thanks again for your thoughtful review. I really like to hear what folks don't like, as well as what they do. :)

Wow...this thread has definitely taken a different turn from others ... what started out as a legitimate critique (again, one person's opinion) turned into a pseudo-sociological discussion.

I believe Celebrity has changed their cruising model with Solstice. Probably due to the economy (I expect that they are not getting any stimulus money), and a possible predicted downfall in cruising in the future, or maybe it was an attempt to stay competitive..to counter an opinion that Celebrity is a bit "stuffy" and too formal. There appears to be some corners cut, (no dessert cart, no water pitchers or canapes in CC room unless you ask...) looks like they are trying to lower their operating costs ("you call THAT a lobster tail?"), and maybe that means that their faithful needs to also change.

The ship was beautiful, but we cruise, not only for the itinerary, but also for the little things that we don't see on a day-to-day basis at home - the pampering, the feeling of elitism (Ha!), the no-need-to-decide-where-or-what-to-eat, or what-do-we-do-tonite....simply stated - relaxing vacation in a semi-vegetative state.

So we now have another choice with Celebrity. We are next booked on Azamara Journey in 2010, (for some of the little things they claim they do) but when we cruise Celebrity again, it will probably be on an M-class.

And concerning Mass - in our experience, every ship has had it, (Sat nite and Sun AM) Constellation once did it in the theater, and also in the movie theater, but most had it in a lounge that was separated from the daily flow of passengers.

All that said, I still would rather be on a ship (any ship!) than typing here on my computer this morning.

Nick (& Barb)

OP, thanks for a well-written, thoughtful review. I agree with you about the theater design; I miss the tables too. I was on the Solstice in December and had a great time. Nevertheless, I really prefer M-Class ships because I like having aft elevators and stairs. That's just my personal preference though. My next cruise will be a TA on the Equinox and I'm sure I'll have a good cruise, especially since I'll be traveling with a large group of friends. But the cruise after that, if it's on Celebrity, will be back on M-Class.

p.s. We especially liked the acapella quartet on our Solstice cruise and felt like we were on a scavenger hunt trying to track them down in the evenings!;)

That just goes to show there's different strokes for different folks :p We run as far as we can as fast as we can when we see the acapella quartet - after 1 song - I've heard more than enough acapella stuff.

We have been looking at the Soltice or Equinox - but really not sure - really too big for us, plus - most of the things the OP was disappointed with - we also would be disappointed with. Although - I firmly believe - any day at sea is better than a day anywhere else. Life is too short.

Wow...this thread has definitely taken a different turn from others ... what started out as a legitimate critique (again, one person's opinion) turned into a pseudo-sociological discussion.

I believe Celebrity has changed their cruising model with Solstice. Probably due to the economy (I expect that they are not getting any stimulus money), and a possible predicted downfall in cruising in the future, or maybe it was an attempt to stay competitive..to counter an opinion that Celebrity is a bit "stuffy" and too formal. There appears to be some corners cut, (no dessert cart, no water pitchers or canapes in CC room unless you ask...) looks like they are trying to lower their operating costs ("you call THAT a lobster tail?"), and maybe that means that their faithful needs to also change.

The ship was beautiful, but we cruise, not only for the itinerary, but also for the little things that we don't see on a day-to-day basis at home - the pampering, the feeling of elitism (Ha!), the no-need-to-decide-where-or-what-to-eat, or what-do-we-do-tonite....simply stated - relaxing vacation in a semi-vegetative state.

(snip)

Nick (& Barb)

LOL I love it (and that is a perfect characterization of some of my cruises) ;)

I loved this ship. Yes, there are little things that need improvement-like the oindoor pool area needs to warmer. I could use more drawers or deeper ones. But in general this ship is geat. I like the idea when i had a drink before dinner i got to hear different music most nights. the piano player never moved and i lvoed beign in Michaels at night. I do wish they did ont over cook my fish in Blu- three times but i got over that.

i know Celebrity kept a water pitcher in the room but i still want bottle water so what is the big deal?? Time changes and the ship with it. I am so looking forward to the Equnox next winter. No ship as a good lobster anymore. we al deal with that too.

The ship was not dissapointing and I loved the cruise.

So we now have another choice with Celebrity. We are next booked on Azamara Journey in 2010, (for some of the little things they claim they do) but when we cruise Celebrity again, it will probably be on an M-class.

And concerning Mass - in our experience, every ship has had it, (Sat nite and Sun AM) Constellation once did it in the theater, and also in the movie theater, but most had it in a lounge that was separated from the daily flow of passengers.

All that said, I still would rather be on a ship (any ship!) than typing here on my computer this morning.

Nick (& Barb)

Thanks for beating me to the "little things" we talked about. You forgot the peppermill though! I am pretty sure we will do an M-class again. I really, really missed the "lopsi" pool!!

Look out, we're sending our snow your way!!

el

Archived