Solstice - Somewhat disappointing (Lengthy)

lddam

I think that over the past few months there have been a number of posters who have used Solstice as a major opportunity to hit and run this board, with incredible anger for some unimaginable reason. I don't think any of these people have any intention of cruising any time soon, and are nothing more than loud mouths who log for the sole purpose to troll and argue and insult.

And from someone who hasn't sailed her, I just don't understand this, I've never seen any renderings or posts that make me think of her as Gaudy, she looks elegant. Now I don't have to sail on Oasis to know she's not for me, but I just don't see that on Solstice. I was/am concerned about some of the reviews/posts about the MDR, but surely they're working on fixing that.

I actually like the theater style seats with the cup holder on Freedom & Liberty, though they cannot be used with the regular bar glass I so often received. I did not notice that the arm rest became uncomfortable with the use of the cup holder, maybe RCI Freedom class has larger armrests. It is too bad there are lots of obstructed views, that would be a pain.

Hi GxmanDC !

I thought it would be worth mentioning there were only a handful of obstructed views in the Theater, and yes I have been in Solstice's Theater many times. The commentary about the views being obstructed is being blown way out of proportion. I thought the Solstice Theater was one of the nicest Cruise Ship Theaters I have ever seen.

I agree that the cupholders, (while nice to have) were virtually useless. I saw far too many drinks being spilled. Not that I'd lose any sleep over this, but Celebrity should arrange for a more functional cup holder on future S-Class ships.

I am over 50 and I like being up front partly to see and i jsut enjoy being near the stage. i did not find any show too loud but coming of off 60's rock i am use to noise. The cup holder has to go as i almost knocked over someone champagne can you imagine if it was red wine:eek: I want the airplane trays Princess uses.

The tables in the theatre on the M class, are not perfect either...I always try to squeeze pass them, and if the people sitting there are rude they do not move there drinks, makes it hard,

How does everyone Manage at the Movies??? since I was born they have always had cup holders?

I usually just hold my Crown Royal, Red wine, Mojito, Martini...and yes all at the same time LOL

HAHA

we were in aqua class, and on the last evening, not only did they lock the fridge and remove the flowers, but they removed the binoculars and lighted makeup mirror well as the stationery. we were so insulted; it was almost as if they were hiding them so we wouldn't pack them. we questioned guest services and were told that this is not their policy, but now, from what i have read, it seems as if it is.....our cruise was not over until the following morning; these things should have been at our disposal until our cruise had ended. these things were removed in the afternoon when we were out of our cabins.

I suspect the early-close-out-the-cabin stuff was based on the individaul room attendants. We did not use the fridge so cant say whether they locked it on Friday nite. But our attendant was ordinary, not one of the best we have had, and I frequently challenged her on things...like the canape order...and finally, on thursday, we received a form to fill out for canapes. I mentioned to her that our friends on the deck below didnt have to request the canapes...they were automatic. Another time she didnt make up the room until close to noon, after I asked her if there was a problem, and she replied that I had posted a "Do Not disturb" sign. (We have never, in all of our cruises, hung out that sign).

I had the feeling that she bordered on the lazy side, and if others had the same work ethic, I can see them making efforts to quicken the process for changeover on the final day...especially if they were given free time during embarkation.

So maybe it is not something attributable to the Solstice itself, and could happen on any ship.

Whatever - it was still a memorable cruise, beautiful ship, just that the service was a bit different from what we ahve experienced on past X cruises.

Nick

I would never have guessed that many people attended. We have seen it in very small venues on most ships.

I usually see week day mass in one of the medium sized lounges.

But thinking of it - there are not any on the ship.

Just small and large.

The next larger is Sky observation lounge.

we were in aqua class, and on the last evening, not only did they lock the fridge and remove the flowers, but they removed the binoculars and lighted makeup mirror well as the stationery. we were so insulted; it was almost as if they were hiding them so we wouldn't pack them. we questioned guest services and were told that this is not their policy, but now, from what i have read, it seems as if it is.....our cruise was not over until the following morning; these things should have been at our disposal until our cruise had ended. these things were removed in the afternoon when we were out of our cabins.

Hi Nancy !

On our last few sailings, we've experienced much of the same, though it happened during the final evening, not during the day. Frankly, I do not agree with it either, as it really gives you a "your cruise is over, now get off the ship" feeling. Since they made this change, it's been a running joke in our family :). I give them some slack on the refrigerator being locked, as I can see that being an accounting nightmare, should things be consumed the last night.

While I understand the cabin attendants have a million things to do on turnaround day, I truly wish they could leave the cabin as is, until the morning of departure.

Hi Nancy !

On our last few sailings, we've experienced much of the same, though it happened during the final evening, not during the day. Frankly, I do not agree with it either, as it really gives you a "your cruise is over, now get off the ship" feeling. Since they made this change, it's been a running joke in our family :). I give them some slack on the refrigerator being locked, as I can see that being an accounting nightmare, should things be consumed the last night.

While I understand the cabin attendants have a million things to do on turnaround day, I truly wish they could leave the cabin as is, until the morning of departure.

I can undrestand the mini-bar-from an accouting standpoint. ..But what are they going to do with used flowers and PERSONALIZED stationary-how many other people have your exact name?

Carole

I can undrestand the mini-bar-from an accouting standpoint. ..But what are they going to do with used flowers and PERSONALIZED stationary-how many other people have your exact name?

Carole

The flowers could be for immigration purposes. The ship or passengers are not allowed to bring fruit/vegs, flowers, seeds, and the like into the U.S. They are probably just trying to get a head start on clearing the ship of those items.

Has no one noticed this going on before? It's just not the Solstice or Celebrity, all ships clean out the rooms the night before. Robes get changed out, all literature is usually taken out, frigs get cleaned out and locked, etc. I have been told that they sanitize all these things before the next sailing so it is taken out the night before and is ready to put back in the next day. It has been going on for years, funny none of you noticed it before your sailing on the Solstice.

My extended family of 20+ people sailed her last month, nothing special, but an okay cruise.

I am fairly young 23, and have been traveling the world since age 3 as my father is an ambassador.

I do love all the retro look, my folks not so much, but us younger kids liked looking into that 80's type of decor, and acting like we were in the period. :)

My extended family of 20+ people sailed her last month, nothing special, but an okay cruise.

I am fairly young 23, and have been traveling the world since age 3 as my father is an ambassador.

I do love all the retro look, my folks not so much, but us younger kids liked looking into that 80's type of decor, and acting like we were in the period. :)

ok, that just made me feel really old!

heehee

thanks for all the good input, the good, the bad, its all relevant and interesting to read about :) I will be on the Solstice in 12 days and look forward to forming my own opinions (and sharing them when I get back)!

Has no one noticed this going on before? It's just not the Solstice or Celebrity, all ships clean out the rooms the night before. Robes get changed out, all literature is usually taken out, frigs get cleaned out and locked, etc. I have been told that they sanitize all these things before the next sailing so it is taken out the night before and is ready to put back in the next day. It has been going on for years, funny none of you noticed it before your sailing on the Solstice.

Judy -

I don't mean to be argumentative, but on our cruise through the Panama Canal on Millie, all stateroom amenities were available to us until we vacated the cabin in the morning of the last day, including access to the refrigerator/mini-bar. It had been replenished the evening before, and I just assumed that since they had our credit card on file, if we had taken anything from the mini-bar, it would simply be charged to us afterwards, same as any fine hotel/resort. Because of that experience on Millie, perhaps that is why I was taken aback that our mini-bar had been locked and was no longer available. In retrospect, I thnk our frustration was probably heightened by the fact that it was Valentine's Day and we were really looking forward to enjoying a cold bottle of Pouilly-Fuissie and a plate of chocolate covered strawberries that I had placed in the mini-bar for chilling. As I mentioned in my original post, because they were removed from the refrigerator, the wine was warm and the chocolate on the strawberries had turned soft and mushy. Not the ending to which I had aspired.;). Ah, well,...the best laid plans...

Dave

You might want to add your Cabin info to the Sticky at the top of the Celebrity threads. Mysticks1 is compiling the info on Solstic staterooms and it is very handy.

Thanks in Advance, Denny

Denny, thanks for the reminder. It's done.

Archived