Solstice - Somewhat disappointing (Lengthy)

lddam

"i know Celebrity kept a water pitcher in the room but i still want bottle water so what is the big deal?"?

The big deal is that bottled water costs the same as a beer...so why waste my beer money on water when you can get it free?

I refuse to participate in the recession, but until I get a stimulus check, I demand free water! Besides, we prefer to go "green".

Nicely said Susan. I also thought it was a fair and balanced review and I'm glad the OP took the time to write it all out for us. Thank you very much!

The review was balanced. There are always negatives in the best events. Hopefully Celebrity reads the boards and can address some of the issues before our next cruise ( locking the mini-bar, taking the flowers etc). In the meanwhile I (hope) everyone else is looking forward to their cruise. Pls post when you return.

Carole

I wonder if the theatre design is so more people can be accommodated? It was rare to see people sit as close on those long sofas as they do when there are seats. Also, I suppose, the lack of tables allows more rows.

I was intrigued by the comment about the lounge entertainment. I wonder if the rotating of the talent is a reaction to previous criticisms we've read where folks don't like that a group in the same lounge all week gets monotonous, since they generally only have one night's set? Just a thought.

I agree.

You always hear about those that complain that they can't get a good seat unless they come very early. This kind of seating definitely adds seats to the theater. In fact, I can only rember one cruise I've been on that had couches and tables.

The Tropical, my first cruise in 1991.

I might have missed a thread that already stated this....but I believe that X locks the bars at turn down on the last night, not because of servicing them the next day at most said. The reason is accounts are closed in the middle of the night on the last night. If they were to remain open, they would have to post after the passenger departures. If people are complaining now, can you imagine everyone complaining after they departed about late charges on their account?

I have no problem paying for water as i have bottle water in two homes and in the car. by drinking from a bottle i know i drank my half gallon a day. i do not drink beer but i do drink anything else.

The clothes above the fridge get warm and i had candy in there but it seemed fine when I ate it at home.

I agree with the OP, style is very subjective.

From the get go, all pictures told me in my comfort zone that the new ship was gaudy, I lived the 70s and I have no want to revisit it.

I love classic woods, and fine furnishings.

I think so many people are in love with anything that is new.

In a few years Solstice will be a tacky old ship.

I wil never sail Solstice because of that, in my opinion it is one of the most ugly ships ever made.:(

Beat me up if you want, but I want to feel there is something left of old time sailing, other than wanna be formal nights out there.

Give me classic over glitz and gaudy anytime.

Solstice I will never sail you ole gal.

:(

Having sailed on the Solstice, she is anything but glitzy and gaudy. Where did you ever come up with that??? Have you been on her???. She is a beautiful and elegant ship, just not cluttered with a lot of gaudy dressing and dark colors. Try her you will like her!!

Having sailed on the Solstice, she is anything but glitzy and gaudy. Where did you ever come up with that??? Have you been on her???. She is a beautiful and elegant ship, just not cluttered with a lot of gaudy dressing and dark colors. Try her you will like her!!

No I have not sail her, but of course I had seen the hundreds of pics, people have posted.

Trust me in a few years when the new has worn off she will be that gaudy ole ship.

Give me real mahogany and teak wood work, real classic ships, and I will be there.:)

You are very mistaken about the decor of Solstice. She is very classic looking in some areas and the colors are much more tasteful than the other ships. For heavens sake the M-Class ships have the gaudiest looking colors in the cabins I've seen. There are some areas that are slightly retro looking but very well done. The colors and fabrics are lovely in most areas. You need to see her in person.

I agree with the OP, style is very subjective.

From the get go, all pictures told me in my comfort zone that the new ship was gaudy, I lived the 70s and I have no want to revisit it.

I love classic woods, and fine furnishings.

I think so many people are in love with anything that is new.

In a few years Solstice will be a tacky old ship.

I wil never sail Solstice because of that, in my opinion it is one of the most ugly ships ever made.:(

Beat me up if you want, but I want to feel there is something left of old time sailing, other than wanna be formal nights out there.

Give me classic over glitz and gaudy anytime.

Solstice I will never sail you ole gal.

:(

As far as the ship being "gaudy"...there is nothing further from the truth. It is not retro 70's whatsoever.

It is extremely elegant and warm. I have to admit, when at first viewing the artist's renderings, I too thought that it would be a bit stark...but in all actuality, the colors and fabrics used are very warm and rich. Beautiful woods, patterns and art work. A very beautiful ship. There is nothing on this ship that even suggests glitz.

We were not sure we'd like it--too big , this & that---- BUT, from the minute we were on board...-We loved it!!!! yes some things not perfect but overall it will be hard to go back to others--it is just far above & beyond..esepcially the staff & crew.. can't wait to sail her again in sept..

One really cannot appreciate it til you get on board & see how nicely it is laid out & what a great time you can have--but like someone else said--move on to another ship--we like this one! It is certainly the anti-mall compared to what Royal is coming out with !!

BTW--DH figured out the heat in the top drawer warming his socks is from the fridge-- no venting...we left the drawer open to cool!

error

The link posted takes awhile to load but leads to a terrible rendering of the Sky Obs lounge..

This is a great example--in person the room is nothing like this--it is one of the nicest areas on any ship at sea! & from the photo ,I too would have cringed! but each to his or her own..

We were not sure we'd like it--too big , this & that---- BUT, from the minute we were on board...-We loved it!!!! yes some things not perfect but overall it will be hard to go back to others--it is just far above & beyond..esepcially the staff & crew.. can't wait to sail her again in sept..

One really cannot appreciate it til you get on board & see how nicely it is laid out & what a great time you can have--but like someone else said--move on to another ship--we like this one! It is certainly the anti-mall compared to what Royal is coming out with !!

BTW--DH figured out the heat in the top drawer warming his socks is from the fridge-- no venting...we left the drawer open to cool!

Hcat, I couldn't resist, we booked again for June.:):D

Jewells78

The Solstice is a beauty. It is a beautiful, elegant and classic ship.:cool: You must have sailed on her, pictures are not enough.

Gitte:)

For heavens sake the M-Class ships have the gaudiest looking colors in the cabins I've seen. There are some areas that are slightly retro looking but very well done.

I could not agree with you more. The ship and cabins do not match at all on the M class. The faded pastel cabins look like they belonged in an old Winnebego and not a new cruise ship. They really did look older than the ship on Constellation.

Getting back to the Soltice, when I saw the renderings, I worried that it would be too stark for the average Celebrity customer but in reality, we hard so many people liking the look of the ship. I heard two different people say that it for them, it had become their new favorite ship over the Queen Mary 2. I haven't sailed QM2 but that seemed a great compliment.

It is interestting to me that the people who are most vocal about how they hate Solstice have never sailed it and yet they seem to have angry feelings about how they darned well never will. I find that fascinating. I think it's because they see Solstice as putting in peril their beloved older ships but who knows.

I always take with a grain of salt the opinions of people who make very vocal statements (be it about a class of ship or another line) and then find out that they've only ever just done the same thing over and over and they're presuming that their experience is somehow more significant than it is.

I think that over the past few months there have been a number of posters who have used Solstice as a major opportunity to hit and run this board, with incredible anger for some unimaginable reason. I don't think any of these people have any intention of cruising any time soon, and are nothing more than loud mouths who log for the sole purpose to troll and argue and insult.

This site seems to be a major target. Lee are you seeing this over on the RCCL boards at all?

Yes, the RCCL boards have become a very toxic place and if you can believe it, this board is downright civil in comparision! Well, except for last night when I kept reporting some wing-nut's posts because they were getting very personal and very obsessed with a poster I like very much.

I wonder if it's the uncertainty of the economy which leaves some posters upset about an opportunity they can no longer explore and so they feel the need to degrade the opportunity itself? If you can affford a holiday, cruising is still one of the most cost-effective ones out there, in my opinion.

So its everywhere then. :( A lot of stress, an awful lot of stress. I sure do hope that overall we are coming to the end and are at about bottom out point. Yes, last night not so good. :(

At least of you can't cruise right now, this board or any other is still one way to stay connected, there are plenty who post here who are not cruising or have only one planned in the distance that they may or many not take depending.

I suppose the continued uncertainty is really taking its toll.

Thanks for keeping and eye out.;)

OP- Thanks for the review. I'm not sure if I would agree with everything, I'll have to sail Solstice and see for myself. I've never sailed Celebrity, but Solstice has me excited to do so.

I was surprised to hear about the locked fridge. On RCI cruises I have always had access to the fridge on the last morning. In January I remember grabbing the bottled water we'd pruchased in Labadee and taking it with us. My partner grabbed a Diet Coke and we told our room steward about it when we said goodbye. Our intent was to have him add it to our account. I'm sure the Solstice crew did it to get ready for the next cruise, but they don't have to.

I actually like the theater style seats with the cup holder on Freedom & Liberty, though they cannot be used with the regular bar glass I so often received. I did not notice that the arm rest became uncomfortable with the use of the cup holder, maybe RCI Freedom class has larger armrests. It is too bad there are lots of obstructed views, that would be a pain.

Archived