Where can I buy city maps?

gorettilam

Where can I buy city map of each port/city? Can I buy it on Celebrity cruiseship?

You will probably be able to buy something close to the pier however as a good rule of thumb for many things, ask a crew member such as your room steward or waiter. They generally know a lot of inside tips about the places you will visit...

Also, if you go to web sites for various locations many will send you a packet of info for free.

One of the suggestions I wrote down on the comment card after our Century cruise in December was for Celebrity to provide a good map of each port. The maps they provide are basically ads for the shops that have paid them.

Try amazon. Or your local Barnes and Noble. We go there to buy maps each time we book a vacation. They have all the major cities in the world, even in our little Idaho Falls branch. The giveaway maps on the ship are just shopping ads as stated above--basically useless--unless you want to spend your whole vacation shopping, that is. :eek:

If you have enough lead time and don't want to spend the money, you could contact the tourism offices in each city and they will be happy to send you maps as well.

we also order tourist info from the larger cities' tourism offices.

ship's maps are not very helpful & are not complete or made to scale..

it'd be nice if they did have maps in the libraray that everyone could share...

Streetwise maps are great, but you only find them for major cities. They also have a line of Artwise maps if you are into exploring the museums, but once again only selected major cities.

Regards

You're right. I actually use Google Earth and make my own maps for some places, even if there are streetwise maps. For those that haven't played with Google Earth it's highly recommended. Not just streets. It has museum, restaraunt, transport, heck even ATM locations that you can add.

But for a big city getting something that will fit on one or two sheets of paper can be challenging.

I first search the internet. Many tourism sites have great city maps. Google and Yahoo both have good map systems, and you can list where you want to go, and they will route you to them, including walking.

Then, if I want real detail, I look on ebay and amazon for used laminated ones. I love the "pocket" ones that fold up tiny and are laminated.

Then, if I haven't found what I want I go to Borders or Barnes and Noble and buy the Streetwise maps which are $8 each.

If you're looking for major cities - I'd recommend buying a map at a bookstore (online or local) well before your cruise to use in planning. By far the best of these I've found as a tourist is the "Mapeasy's Guidemap To..." series. Their map of Barcelona was by far the best we've used for tourist and walking tour purposes and the series is worth a look.

If it is freebies you're after: I've also tried emailing, or writing, the tourism bureau in the cities we're going to visit requesting a package of tourist oriented maps and pamphlets. Usually we'll get a nice thick envelope full of the kinds of booklets and maps you find at hotels and tourist stands at these places - full of advertising but none the less very handy. But this is best done a good couple of months in advance. When I emailed for info on Florence (Firenza) a couple years back I received a box full of maps and directories!

Archived