Royal Champions

Admin

Hey Terri:),

CC did not just give out our emails, they emailed us first, said we had been selected as RC's, asked us do we want to accept? and if yes they needed our permission to give RCCL our names and addresses. If we accepted we gave name and address to CC and they forwarded it to RCCL. Simple. CC asked our permission and we gave it to them, CC did nothing wrong. If they had just given RCCL our addresses without asking that would be another story but they didn't do that.

Hi Suzanne - how are you? ;)

I know - I quoted Laura Sterling's previous post in response to another poster who said that CC gave out email addresses ;)

OB...thats not a realistic response to after all this brouhaha IMHO. We all have many things to deal with in our daily lives. Unless you want to suggest that by virtue of your profession you earned a particular right. :rolleyes:

No Finely, I don't consider myself as having any right. But it is getting really tiring that some posters here keep trying to draw out an emotion that doesn't exist. It is a realistic response. I simply don't care enough about it to get upset. It is very small potatoes in the grand scheme of life. That is my feeling about it plain and simple.

As someone who's semi-retired from working in advertising/public relations' date=' I find this whole idea fascinating. I had been assuming "Royal Champions" was just one of those cutsy group names.

After finding out on the Princess board about this whole controversy, I decided to look up what exactly is "viral marketing" and went to everyone's favorite source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_marketing

Scroll down to "notable examples" for a fun fact.[/quote']

WOW! Ponzi and the pyramid scheme! :o

It's been pointed out that prior to this club being formed those 50 people gave their insights into RCI and its product. Anyone who thinks those 50 people weren't RCI cheerleaders to begin with, raise your hand.;)

The intriguing part is that RCI felt the need to form this club to begin with. I don't think it had much to do with the original 50. RCI had them in their corner anyway. It had to do with those who wanted to be part of it. So maybe they began to write nothing but glowing reports of RCI, in order to get chosen. Maybe they embellished what happened on their cruises? Did they start listing numerous upcoming cruises on their sig lines, even if they hadn't booked them, for effect?

You seem to be one of the posters here carrying things to extremes, insulting extremes.

The accusations you have thrown around are just on the edge of personal attacks of RC members and baseless.

We didnt do anything we know of to get picked, we certainly didnt make up lies and pretend to book cruises and write fake reviews. Most people will tell you I am honest to a fault. You are very close to breaking the rules on CC, and personal attacks. imo Making up stuff, and posting it about this group, because you are so upset doesnt make it true.

In less than 3 weeks, I will meet my current and very active roll call on Voyager. I have never written a review, fake or not and dont have cruises in my signature. I certainly have enough booked cruises that I wouldn't put fake booked cruises in my signature?

You seem to forget that we are real people when you are throwing around these generalizations that dont fit me and I doubt fit others in the group. It may be easy to attack a faceless organization like Royal Caribbean, but attacking RC members with these comments about what we did to get invited, .... remember we are invidividuals. Your baseless comments are just on the edge of personal attacks which are against the CC guidelines.

Im not upset, so dont read that into it, I was upset about the things being said at first, now Im just past it. Before you defend what you said and say well you said "maybe", I did see that, but posting maybe and then posting innuendo as if it might be true, you are crossing a line in my opinion. Im just stating how I feel too about the things people are posting about RCs and reminding them we are real people.

fire

In no way are Royal Champions involved in Ponzi or Pyramid schemes. They do not ask for money; they do not get money. No one invests money. No profits, fake or real are earned.

Even the editors at Wikipedia said some of the facts in the article quoted above are in dispute and asked for further discussion.

Sigh.:rolleyes: These were two examples among many others of forms of viral marketing. Let's not go off into fantasy land here- NOBODY IS ACCUSING ANYONE OF BEING IN A PONZI OR PYRAMID SCHEME.

"Originally Posted by Charles4515 viewpost.gif

Take a deep breath. It is not a sorry mess. Even in this thread most posts are by the same few and say the same stuff over and over. Those who were designated Royal Champions will keep posting and reading. The great mass of everyone else will keep posting and reading. Cruise Critic discussion forums will keep growing. Other discussion forums will remain small compared to Cruise Critic. Royal Caribbean bookings will only be affected by the state of the economy. Royal Caribbean will continue to have marketing programs. Maybe the particular Royal Champion program will end but there will be others. With the growth of social networking, Facebook and Twitter, the death of newspapers and print, we have only seen the beginning of new kinds of marketing."

This has been one of the best posts in this thread.

I've highlighted one sentence that I agree with. Having read so many posts expressing anger, accountability, and upset, maybe that sentence isn't accurate. That said, I do have a question for those they feel they have been deceived by RCCL and those that feel they are now Royal Chumps......

Has this program made you decide to cancel any upcoming cruise with RCCL?

I asked this yesterday and received no answer so I have moved the whole post up to again ask..........

Has this program made you (those that feel deceived and feel they are Royal Chumps) decide to cancel any upcoming cruise with RCCL?

I had been assuming "Royal Champions" was just one of those cutsy group names.

Me too!! I find it interesting, the RC people who say "I wasn't hiding anything, I had RC in my signature". How were the rest us of suppose to know what that means?????

I want to try to cut through all the fog and express why I have a big problem with the actions of RCI and the acquiescence of CC. Many of us support CC because we think it's the best place on the net to exchange personal opinions on various aspects of cruising and the cruise industry. We all assume that the opinions shared on CC are free of commerically induced bias and are not posted for personal gain. When CC contributors think they can gain some favor from the cruise lines by posting positve remarks, this taints the boards and runs counter to CC posting policies. It also calls into question the sincerity and accuracy of the posted opinions. RCI is only guilty of trying to use CC and some of their members as one more marketing gimmick. But, when CC lent support to RCI efforts (by cooperating with RCI) CC breached an implied trust with all the other posters and readers. What's done is done and hopefully everyone learned from the experience. I, for one, now find it difficult to accept opinions posted on this thread since I now wonder if positive posts are only put here for the purpose of trying to get a free "fam" cruise from RCI.

Hank

Take a deep breath. It is not a sorry mess. Even in this thread most posts are by the same few and say the same stuff over and over. Those who were designated Royal Champions will keep posting and reading. The great mass of everyone else will keep posting and reading. Cruise Critic discussion forums will keep growing. Other discussion forums will remain small compared to Cruise Critic. Royal Caribbean bookings will only be affected by the state of the economy. Royal Caribbean will continue to have marketing programs. Maybe the particular Royal Champion program will end but there will be others. With the growth of social networking, Facebook and Twitter, the death of newspapers and print, we have only seen the beginning of new kinds of marketing."

I asked this yesterday and received no answer so I have moved the whole post up to again ask..........

Has this program made you (those that feel deceived and feel they are Royal Chumps) decide to cancel any upcoming cruise with RCCL?

The more pertinent question is:

If the Royal Champion program is shown to be a marketing campaign and not the innocent loyalty program that a few still cling to, will those chosen to be RCs resign?

I do not see how RCs can be allowed to continue to post on CC if they are part of a marketing campaign and if they can no longer post then what's the point of the program?

I want to try to cut through all the fog and express why I have a big problem with the actions of RCI and the acquiescence of CC. Many of us support CC because we think it's the best place on the net to exchange personal opinions on various aspects of cruising and the cruise industry. We all assume that the opinions shared on CC are free of commerically induced bias and are not posted for personal gain. When CC contributors think they can gain some favor from the cruise lines by posting positve remarks, this taints the boards and runs counter to CC posting policies. It also calls into question the sincerity and accuracy of the posted opinions. RCI is only guilty of trying to use CC and some of their members as one more marketing gimmick. But, when CC lent support to RCI efforts (by cooperating with RCI) CC breached an implied trust with all the other posters and readers. What's done is done and hopefully everyone learned from the experience. I, for one, now find it difficult to accept opinions posted on this thread since I now wonder if positive posts are only put here for the purpose of trying to get a free "fam" cruise from RCI.

Hank

You said it perfectly :D

I want to try to cut through all the fog and express why I have a big problem with the actions of RCI and the acquiescence of CC. Many of us support CC because we think it's the best place on the net to exchange personal opinions on various aspects of cruising and the cruise industry. We all assume that the opinions shared on CC are free of commerically induced bias and are not posted for personal gain. When CC contributors think they can gain some favor from the cruise lines by posting positve remarks, this taints the boards and runs counter to CC posting policies. It also calls into question the sincerity and accuracy of the posted opinions. RCI is only guilty of trying to use CC and some of their members as one more marketing gimmick. But, when CC lent support to RCI efforts (by cooperating with RCI) CC breached an implied trust with all the other posters and readers. What's done is done and hopefully everyone learned from the experience. I, for one, now find it difficult to accept opinions posted on this thread since I now wonder if positive posts are only put here for the purpose of trying to get a free "fam" cruise from RCI. Hank

WELL SAID!

IMHO, it is time for the RC to end if CruiseCritic wants us to believe this is an "open/honest" forum.

Hank

One of the BEST posts on here - thanks Hank

We still await a Statement from RCI+CC !!

jj.....

Hank

A very astute analysis, you said it perfectly. :)

Wow. The hosts are being uncharacteristically patient with this thread.

Suffice it to say that the greater issue of message boards that purport to be around to share unbiased information is at question.

Folks can complain all they want concerning those of us who have voiced concerns. Quite frankly, it is well beyond this thread. Many professionals, with more speaking up every day, in the industry are now looking and speaking their mind and voicing opinion from a professional stand point. They are also raising legitimate concerns about the ethics of allowing a viral marketing campaign by members on supposed unbiased boards.

So the RC folks and those that share kinship to them in this discussion can bash those here that have raised concerns. But in the end it doesn't matter. I said it at the beginning and I'll say until the end, it is CC that needs to decide the future of this site and what is allowed based on what they purport their function is here and their stated guidelines. It has nothing to do with individuals.

I haven't cancelled any upcoming cruise (have Majesty booked in April, payed for/no cancelling). It has tainted my interest in looking to book future cruises with them. I just have issues with RCI and how they chose to treat their most loyal fanbase in hopes of manipulating the rest of us. So, as the old saying goes...Put up or shut up. I'll put my money where my mouth is and book elsewhere.

I'll save a bunch of you the trouble of replying to that comment by responding to myself.

"Good riddance!" "We don't want your kind on board anyway" "Why don't you go try Carnival, then you'll see what bad is!" oh yeah... and don't forget..."You're just jealous!!!"

Fellow Chumps, did I leave anything out?

Now wait a minute........if we do not display the RC in our sigs we are "sneaky plants" working for RCCL, if we do display the RC in our sigs we are now only Sam's Club worthy? LOL :D

I'll tell you exactly what I think RCCL is going to do with the RC program. Nothing. They are leaving it exactly as it is. Why?

Despite what you think the program is crystal clear in the details RCCL has provided us a few days ago. They are giving us an opportunity/invite to events to get our opinion on the brand but we must pay all our own expenses to go to the event to give our opinion.

Prior to Sept 2008 when I was first selected as a RC, I gave my opinion on the brand all the time and it didn't cost me anything! Now I have to pay. lol:D All RCCL is giving us is the "opportunity/invite" we will pay to be part of the opportunity/invite and they get our opinion for free. Its pure genuis! WHY would they cancel it? lol:D AND they have everyone talking about RCCL and it didn't cost them anything. I've lost count of the stories of the RC's and RCCL that are in various forms of media now which is all free marketing for RCCL. You may think this has hurt RCCL but there are many that would say there is no such thing as bad press. Free press is even better! The details of the program are very clear in this email from RCCL.

Here is a brief summary about the Royal Champions program.

Royal Champions are a small group of passionate travel enthusiasts and prolific individuals, who were identified by an independent third party on behalf of Royal Caribbean International, as frequently engaging in online discussions and sharing information about cruising on the internet. With the proliferation of online social networks, blogs and discussion boards on the internet – many of which serve as forums where vacationers visit consistently in search for travel information and advice – Royal Caribbean decided to engage these enthusiasts knowing that they would be a valuable source of information for our current and prospective customers. Thus in early 2007, in keeping with our legacy of innovation, we initiated a program in which the Royal Champions were invited to learn more about our brand, our ships and our amenities.

We have provided the Royal Champions with the opportunity to experience our product during inaugural sailings so that they can provide their opinions and informed reviews in the online spaces they are participating in. On a few occasions, they also have served as focus groups providing us with valuable feedback on a number of topics. Royal Champions have been invited - along with traditional media, top travel partners, and loyal Crown & Anchor Society members - to preview new ships and programs and share their opinions if, when and how they see fit. They are responsible for their own travel arrangements and expenses, which are not paid by Royal Caribbean. Royal Champions do not receive any compensation for their participation nor do we influence what they share or how they participate in their online discussions.

We are gratified by the enthusiasm these Royal Champions have for cruising and our goal is to continue to incorporate their insights to continually improve the Royal Caribbean vacation experience for all of our guests.

This bottom statement hurts more than it helps.

So some say they were invited because they talked positively about RCI.

Then you have those who say they were invited because they are probably DP.

Now my question is:

Thus in early 2007, in keeping with our legacy of innovation, we initiated a program in which the Royal Champions were invited to learn more about our brand, our ships and our amenities.

Why would a DP or someone with 10k posts, mostly on the RCI board need to learn about the RCI brand?

Based on that information every RC should be a newbee.

To be honest: after roughly 15 cruises or so with RCI (on different classes) nobody can tell me any news on the RCI brand. I would expect that cruisers with 30 plus know even more about the RCI brand.

Which brings me to the point of RCI. How come Royal Champions and even the 'charter' members still refer to RCI as RC or RCL or even RCCL? As a Royal Champion shouldn't they all know it is RCI. Not all of them do but I see quite a few doing that. How can one be a brand advocate referring to a non existing cruise line?

Now my question is:

Why would a DP or someone with 10k posts, mostly on the RCI board need to learn about the RCI brand?

To be honest: after roughly 15 cruises or so with RCI (on different classes) nobody can tell me any news on the RCI brand. I would expect that cruisers with 30 plus know even more about the RCI brand.

Which brings me to the point of RCI. How come Royal Champions and even the 'charter' members still refer to RCI as RC or RCL or even RCCL? As a Royal Champion shouldn't they all know it is RCI. Not all of them do but I see quite a few doing that. How can one be a brand advocate referring to a non existing cruise line?

RC = royal champion not Royal Caribbean International or Royal Caribbean Cruise Line

jc<---- still finds a lot of information about RCI in the RCI forum

jc

Now my question is:

Which abbreviation is correct?

If I go to Royal Caribbean's website I go to http://www.rccl.com so that's what I call them in posts.

As well intended an RCer might be when I read their posts now, I look at the posts as being tainted. In the back of my mind I read the post as coming from the RCI marketing dept and not an RCer.

I agree. This whole mess creates an air of suspicion around all. I find myself subconsciously checking post#'s and signatures now. I NEVER used to do that. I don't mean to do it, I try not to do it but it's almost an auto-response now. Is this person an RC, a wannabe, a plant, a troll...leaving you with the ultimate, sad question of who do I trust?

Yes, I too have been infected.

Is there anybody reading this thread that is able to make up their own minds about cruising or anything?

YOU WOULD NOT THINK SO

RC's being able to influence all of us is the biggest joke out there. There are just as many negative post as positive post on CC and it has been this way for years now.

Some of you must think there are some posters on here with some kind of magic power or something. ITS a message board.

Get over it and get back to cruising.

Have to say, this whole thing seems overblown. I assume many people who post online have some type of agenda so I take things with a grain of salt.

What does bother me is that CC makes such a big deal about their 'no advertising' policy. Sometimes, I would like to ask someone about their travel agent but it's a huge no-no. So in that respect, the RC thing is kind of hypocritical.

Archived