How Good are HAL Libraries?

Chelly

Do the HAL libraries have a good selection of books? I read alot when traveling and usually bring two new, hard-covers. I hate to weigh down my luggage with more books, but hate to run out of reading material on a TA crossing. How does the check-out routine work? Thanks!

The New York Times is in charge of HAL libraries -- and there are lots and lots of books in all categories.

If you don't see a book that you want to ead -- just ask the librarian -- they have ectra books stored in locked cabinets.

Once you select a book -- you check it out at the librarians desk -- the person in charge will ask for your cabin number -- they record everything on their computer.

I have always found the libraries to be well stocked, and I am an avid reader. There is also the alternative of the book exchange, which is free of charge - pick a book and leave one of yours and the book is yours to take home with you:D.

Honestly, on my last couple of cruises the book exchange has been so well stocked that if you don't leave a book in exchange they are not going to go short and nobody is going to complain. I should add that most of the books are paperbacks although every once in a while a hardback copy will show up and often the books are fairly recent best sellers.

Valerie:)

We have sailed with lots of different cruise lines. HAL has the best libraries at sea, in my opinion. Lots and lots of stocked shelves and they have more stored away so that they can find something suitable for every taste. Well maintained, too with complete listings on their computer. ----Penny

Do the HAL libraries have a good selection of books? I read alot when traveling and usually bring two new, hard-covers. I hate to weigh down my luggage with more books, but hate to run out of reading material on a TA crossing. How does the check-out routine work? Thanks!

We have been on different cruise lines, HAL libraries are far superior it is more than a library the whole ambiance is lovely and we love the local newspapers which come on board at each port. Great selection of reading and a free dvd service if you are in a veranda suite, add room service especially breakfast and for us the perfect cruise line.

I agree with other posters. We sail a few different lines, and HAL definitely has the best stocked libraries of them all.

You can easily leave your hard covers at home and will not run out of any good reading material on HAL.

Many people will bring paperbacks and leave them behind for others to read when finished.

Our experience has been very nice libraries. We are avid readers and if we are on a cruise for less that 15 days we are bringing books that we enjoy.

If we were on a much longer cruise we have found literature in ship libraries that would draw our interest.

Just can't imagine starting a cruise without a couple of books we brought that would guarantee our interest.

No matter the book or read, the atmosphere of a Hal library has always been a great venue to spend a sea day and catch up on reading.

I feel like I am at a little branch library when on HAL. They are wonderful, lots of reference book, travel books, picture books and general reading plus fiction. Such comfortable chairs, large areas. Puzzles, crosswords etc. Open all day and evening with staff. They take care of their libraries. Other ships have junk like remainder sales and no staff. The return boxes are overflowing and you can't see what's there because nobody puts them away. On my last RCCL trip, I became the librarian - kept calling the main desk to get somebody to open the return boxes and I put the things away. (I was a librarian before retirement. People asked if I worked there!)

Yeah HAL

I feel like I am at a little branch library when on HAL. They are wonderful, lots of reference book, travel books, picture books and general reading plus fiction. Such comfortable chairs, large areas. Puzzles, crosswords etc. Open all day and evening with staff. They take care of their libraries. Other ships have junk like remainder sales and no staff. The return boxes are overflowing and you can't see what's there because nobody puts them away. On my last RCCL trip, I became the librarian - kept calling the main desk to get somebody to open the return boxes and I put the things away. (I was a librarian before retirement. People asked if I worked there!)

Yeah HAL

:):):):):)

Just back from the Eurodam and the Explorers Lounge that houses the library was one of my favorite places on the ship. We found the entertainment on this ship to be very boring so we resorted to checking movies out and catching up on ones we haven't seen yet. Great selection of books and DVDs. One of the best libraries on the sea that I've seen! They even had an entire section of large print.

I've found HAL's libraries to be more than adequate. I especially appreciate them now that airline weight restrictions make it more difficult to bring my own books to read.

Roz

HAL libraries are staffed and have large well-stocked collections - including recent works. The shelves are well set up -by category, unlike most other lines, which have few selections with returns frequently not re-shelved for days. N Y Times crossword puzzles are available daily, as are condensed versions of the daily paper, plus daily quizzes - and la arge on-going jigsaw puzzle is ready for you to place a piece or two. They are comfortably furnished, premium coffee is available for purchase ---in all superior places to pass some time.

My family are Large Print avid readers. While we bring books, we've been pleasantly surprised to find interesting LP's on the shelves, or tucked away. I've also donated/taken LP's from the book exchange.

My husband and I also used the library - very good selection. I never once saw a librarian :eek:, so I just took what I wanted :eek: :eek: :eek: and put it back when I was finished :). I was wondering how anyone would know if something was not returned. The announcement on the next to last day said that we would be charged if a checked book was not returned. I also did not see a section for "take a book and leave a book." Maybe I didn't look in the right area ???

We tend to take cruises with lots of sea days and I find the library invaluable. Not only for reading that long awaited book while looking up now and then to watch the ocean. The music centers are very nice and I love putting on the headset, keying up a selection of favorites and watching the world roll by. Heaven . . .

On one cruise on Sitmar from LA to FLL, many years ago, we took an entire collection of Hemingway because we wanted to read them all. It was most memorable for us. Wouldn't want to do that nowadays with the airline weight restrictions and all. Left the collection of books in the library when we left so they could add them. ----Penny

On one cruise on Sitmar from LA to FLL, many years ago, we took an entire collection of Hemingway because we wanted to read them all. It was most memorable for us. Wouldn't want to do that nowadays with the airline weight restrictions and all. Left the collection of books in the library when we left so they could add them. ----Penny

Martha Gellhorm who was married to Hemingway,we watched a great programme on Fox about her life, she was a famous war correspondent, compulsive viewing!

:):):):):)

I have always found something interesting to read in the HAL libraries. The Explorations Lounge is great for everything but reading. The lighting is rarely good enough for my middle aged eyes.

My DW is an avid reader and loves the HAL libraries. Once onboard, it is usually among the first destinations to visit. Many take advantage of checking out books and the best selection is usually at the beginning of the cruise. We used to bring along reading materials with us but now we only carry a paperback for the plane ride.

What ship will you be on? We were on the Noordam last year and Library was really EXCELLENT.....!!!icon14.gificon14.gif

There was a HUGE selection of books in many different genres. I read three books from the library, two of which started me on reading ALL the books by those two authors (Charlaine Harris and Brian Haig) when I got home. :D

The Library on the Noordam is a large room and is a lovely place to hang out on sea days. Nice comfy chairs and sofas, good lighting, and a puzzle table (my DH LOVED that!!!:)).

There is a Librarian (on the Noordam) in the room next door to the Library. I forget what that space was called, it had a coffee bar, newspapers, magazines and movies to rent.

So, keep your books at home and peruse those in your "Library at Sea".......:)

What ship will you be on? We were on the Noordam last year and Library was really EXCELLENT.....!!!icon14.gificon14.gif

:)

I will be on the Oosterdam's Oct TA. I understand when Ms O goes into dry dock this month, the library will be relocated and combined with the Explorations Lounge. But, I may be wrong

In any case, for me, the Library is more important than the Lido Pool :o

Ahhh..Sitmar! I have fond memories of my first cruise on Sitmar. I recall my TA telling me it was the Cadillac of cruise lines, and for me it was. I packed a trunk for a ten day cruise. At Sail Away in LA, the staff passed out packetts of confettii and streamers to toss.

Archived