Check This Out - Princess INCREASES Perks For Loyal Cruisers!

The crowded Concierge Lounge and the free drinks are all so silly!! I have never cruised in a suite before but if I did, I'd have my butler bring drinks or just order a bottle in MY SUITE!! So the people paying the big bucks in the suite also need the Concierge Lounge for a free drink before dinner? <Gulp!!> If they want their free drink, let them fight with everyone else!! Big deal!! Its the Diamond members who are fillilng up the CL, the the Diamond + or suite passengers! Lets wait and see what RCCL does when the CL goes empty. Cancel it all together? LOL.... Let them eat shrimp!!

Um......what?!?!?!?!?

No butlers on Royal Caribbean.

No bottles of liquor on Royal Caribbean.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

The crowded Concierge Lounge and the free drinks are all so silly!! I have never cruised in a suite before but if I did, I'd have my butler bring drinks or just order a bottle in MY SUITE!! So the people paying the big bucks in the suite also need the Concierge Lounge for a free drink before dinner? <Gulp!!> If they want their free drink, let them fight with everyone else!! Big deal!! Its the Diamond members who are fillilng up the CL, the the Diamond + or suite passengers! Lets wait and see what RCCL does when the CL goes empty. Cancel it all together? LOL.... Let them eat shrimp!!

Huh?? =X= has butlers and you can order bottles in the room, not RCCL.

I agree that the free drink issue is nonsense, and would not change which line I cruise on. However, this argument is non-sensical.

KEn

I am annoyed at Royal C & have one still booked with them. (The rate is good so we can't afford to cancel it at this point)

That said--I did check out the Princess Boards the other day to get a feel for that line.. To my surprise there were threads indicating that they also do not treat their "peeps" so well. They wiped out an entire set schedule & cancelled cruises--reasons unknown! Lots of unhappy customers for a variety of reasons......

So for now we'll focus on Celebrity S class, if we can & also looking forward to the two newer Cunard Ships--Queen Victoria & now Queen Elizabeth.....

You are so bad!

You are a very good influence. Thank you for publishing this, and right on the RCI page.

I was checking that out too...and you only need 50 days at sea to be part of their elite program too right ?? I think I can manage that.;)

I understand what you are saying and those are the things that you enjoy about the RCCL ships. I am a RC and I feel you are giving an honest opinion of why you like to cruise RCCL. I do not believe your age matters, you're entitled to express your opinion of why you cruise RCCL and CC welcomes teens to post here as well as adults. :)

We all have our reasons of why we like certain cruiselines and people have to just choose the ships that suit them best. If people want to sail other lines now because of recent C & A changes they have that right and I wish them the best on all their cruises. :) I never cruised RCCL for the CL, I cruise it because I like the ship, the itinerary's in spring, fall and winter and I live close to the departure port. Those are my reasons to continue sailing RCL:)

Good Points!

Chris, you live in Wisconsin, you can skate on a REAL lake!

LOL! Its not the same! ;)

Today I canceled 3 cruises with Royal. Thank goodness only one was booked with a Next Cruise cert. I lost $100 for a cancellation fee!

OUCH!

When they asked WHY I was cancelling all I had to say is that we're Diamond. I take it that mine wasn't the first cancellation today.

Congrats, we need more people like you so RCL gets the message. I get tired of the

"so what?" people here. They are the reason RCL is asking everyone to grab their ankles as some others have said. I think the board needs to throw out management asap!

I agree, at your age, you'd probably enjoy RCI more than Princess

But I also think the waterslides on the new Carnival Dream look like a lot of fun. :)

waterworks.jpg

I posted this a while back and i must say it looks REALLY cool! I wish RCCL would have done this on the Oasis!

I'm surprised that you lost the $100. I have cancelled several cruises made with NC certificates and have received a full refund of my deposit.

You're too young to be in a rut!:D

This is what I thought, too. I think he's an 80 year old trapped in a 14 year old body. :D If he thinks change is hard at his age........ LOL

Gina

RCCL kicks you in the teeth, Princess adds to their perks. Boy am I glad I switched my reservations from RCCL to Princess:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=958435

New perk for Elites/Suites

In case you didn't read my review of our lovely week on The Ruby, I want to let everyone know of a great new perk Princess has rolled out.

On 5 of our 7 days, Princess had a wonderful and exclusive lounge set up for Elites and for those booked in Suites. It was held in Skywalkers from 4:30 each afternoon to 8:00 p.m.

We were told that our group was the first group to enjoy this new perk and that is going to now be introduced fleetwide.

Each evening that the lounge was opened, there was a drink special for just for that day. It was not like the drink of the day that the rest of the ship has. These were made with the premium alcohol and were fabulous.

The special drink was only $5.00 per drink and it was worth it. One could order any drink you wanted but paid regular price unless it was the special drink.

The only one I didn't care for was the "Chairman of the Board", but I gave mine to my husband and he loved it.

As for the appetizers, they were wonderful and different from anything I have ever eaten on a cruiseship. No canapes!

This turned out to be the best place on the ship for pre-dinner drinks. It is card contolled.

You will love it! :)

<yawn> Who cares? :confused:

I certainly don't think my tastes and opinions are valid for everyone, but despite some misgivings about RCI's recent decisions, it still best suits us and continues to be our cruiseline of choice.

My question to you, is HOW FAR and, HOW MANY cuts of service

and, amenities to RCCL's "cruise experience" will you endure before

saying to yourself... "The old Royal Caribbean is not the same anymore".

Everytime I cruise them, I see cuts or inferior services from the previous cruises.

It is time for us to move on..and, I hope RCCL understands this.

After the cruises we have booked now, we will look elsewhere.

Everyday, my mailboxes are full of opportunities with other companies

and, cruise lines. If RCCL wanted my/our business they certainly should NOT be cutting services now...and, they are! :mad:

I started cruising regularly back in the 80's with Princess Cruises. Also sailed on NCL, HAL , and Royal Caribbean back then too. Guess what, none of those companies are the same. In fact Princess has probably gone through the most dramatic change, from an upscale cruise line with intimate ships to a mass-market line with mega-ships. It's all good, and I still enjoy Princess just as I still enjoy Royal Caribbean. Cruise lines will continue to evolve and change, and some of the changes you will like and others not so much. My point is if you think it's only Royal Caribbean that has and is changing, you are wrong. They are all changing constantly and doing what they need to do to survive in this business environment.

Ernie

I started cruising regularly back in the 80's with Princess Cruises. Also sailed on NCL, HAL , and Royal Caribbean back then too. Guess what, none of those companies are the same. In fact Princess has probably gone through the most dramatic change, from an upscale cruise line with intimate ships to a mass-market line with mega-ships. It's all good, and I still enjoy Princess just as I still enjoy Royal Caribbean. Cruise lines will continue to evolve and change, and some of the changes you will like and others not so much. My point is if you think it's only Royal Caribbean that has and is changing, you are wrong. They are all changing constantly and doing what they need to do to survive in this business environment.

Ernie

From reading your posts, I feel that you are in a bit of denial.

In this "business environment" things are more competitive than ever, everyone is tired of paying more for less. Customers are looking to get the most for the least amount of money. I don't think that in this highly competitive market that continuing to offer less and less while charging more is going to prove successful.

This is the time for companies that are strong and that have been run well, will shine, they are in the position to make themselves attractive to customers while companies that were not run as well are now reacting to this environment and struggling to stay profitable.

From reading your posts, I feel that you are in a bit of denial.

In this "business environment" things are more competitive than ever, everyone is tired of paying more for less.

Denial? Hardly. I've been cruising since the late 70's and I have seen this industry go though more changes then you can imagine. I understand the realities of being a consumer and running a business, simple as that. I don't consider removing access to a small, interior facing lackluster lounge to be anything significant. Frankly I could care less. In fact I have yet to find a past passenger program on any cruise line that has kept me loyal. The reality is the benefits are just not that great, on any of the lines and I'm a high-level member on most cruise lines. Princess offers the free internet (used to be unlimited) which is pretty good, but RCI has the balcony discount which is just as valuable. To me, those are the only two benefits that have real value. The rest is just fluff.

So you can accept that Royal Caribbean made some changes and move on, or you can take your business elsewhere. That is the beauty of a free market. As you say, the strong will survive. If you do take your business elsewhere, it's quite likely that eventually that company will also do something to piss you off. I've been there.

Me, I will continue to book my cruises based on how well I like the overall experience the cruise line provides, the value for the $$, the ship itself, and the itinerary. The little benefits I get on the side for being a past passenger are icing on the cake, but certainly not a determination of how I pick my next cruise.

Ernie

Denial? Hardly. I've been cruising since the late 70's and I have seen this industry go though more changes then you can imagine. I understand the realities of being a consumer and running a business, simple as that. I don't consider removing access to a small, interior facing lackluster lounge to be anything significant. Frankly I could care less. In fact I have yet to find a past passenger program on any cruise line that has kept me loyal. The reality is the benefits are just not that great, on any of the lines and I'm a high-level member on most cruise lines. Princess offers the free internet (used to be unlimited) which is pretty good, but RCI has the balcony discount which is just as valuable. To me, those are the only two benefits that have real value. The rest is just fluff.

So you can accept that Royal Caribbean made some changes and move on, or you can take your business elsewhere. That is the beauty of a free market. As you say, the strong will survive. If you do take your business elsewhere, it's quite likely that eventually that company will also do something to piss you off. I've been there.

Me, I will continue to book my cruises based on how well I like the overall experience the cruise line provides, the value for the $$, the ship itself, and the itinerary. The little benefits I get on the side for being a past passenger are icing on the cake, but certainly not a determination of how I pick my next cruise.

Ernie

You seem to be missing my point. Many other cruise lines are upping their game to attract passengers, while Royal is taking things away and adding charges that were not there before (although many optional), this can't be good for business.

I have been cruising for just over 20 years and I agree that it is a different experience than it was then, but these are very trying times and offering less for more money doesn't seem to be a good business plan.

We could argue about this forever, but what is important to some may not mean anything to you, so all things are relative. For me Carnival's over the top decor is not a concern, for others it can ruin their trip. For some access to the CL adds something meaningful to their experience where it would mean nothing to you.

Long story short, high prices, less amenities than before doesn't seem like a great plan to me.

but these are very trying times and offering less for more money doesn't seem to be a good business plan.

Well that is the thing. Cruising has never been more of a bargain then it is today. I look at the big picture, and in all the years I've been cruising the prices have never been so cheap. I mean bargain basement prices for brand new, spectacular ships and onboard credits on top of it! The service and food is not quite what it used to be, but the amazing new ships and cheap prices more than make up for it.

I still have a cruise ticket from a cruise on the NORWAY from 1980. My Grandmother took my brother and I. We had to book a year in advance to even get a cabin, and the price for our inside 3-berth was just over $800 per person (1st & 2nd passenger). Today I can book a cruise 30 days before departure on a brand new ship and pay less for a balcony! Go figure.

So in the big scheme of things I feel I've never gotten more for my money. So I can't access a small, insignificant lounge, it's a small price to pay. If and when cruising no longer feels like a value, only then will I reconsider my vacation options.

Ernie

Everytime I cruise them, I see cuts or inferior services from the previous cruises.

It is time for us to move on..and, I hope RCCL understands this.

After the cruises we have booked now, we will look elsewhere.

Everyday, my mailboxes are full of opportunities with other companies

and, cruise lines. If RCCL wanted my/our business they certainly should NOT be cutting services now...and, they are! :mad:

As far as I can determine all of the major mainstream cruiselines are making cuts and changes as they try to stay afloat in this time of economic uncertainty. None are actually improving their loyalty programs and to my mind, RCI still offers more value to me than the other lines. Obviously some will disagree but that is only natural especially since the various benefits have more value to some than to others. Overall I still find that I am treated better on RCI and I enjoy the overall cruise experience they provide and the ships they sail. I guess I am more likely to look into other types of vacations than other cruise lines and if and when I find that cruising is less satisfying, I will switch to another type of vacation. For now I still find it provides the best bang for my buck. I have not yet seen any offers from their competition that make me believe that I would be better off sailing with them. I am certainly not pleased with some of the changes that RCI is making or the benefits they are reducing or eliminating but I recognize that some of their actions are the inevitable result of a failing ecomony. I also realize that switching my cruising allegiance to another line will not result in my regaining those lost benefits because the other line never offered those perks in the first place. We have sailed with Princess, HAL, Celebrity, NCL and Carnival and found that while each of them provided a pleasant cruise experience, overall, none was better than what we have experienced on RCI.

Well that is the thing. Cruising has never been more of a bargain then it is today. I look at the big picture, and in all the years I've been cruising the prices have never been so cheap. I mean bargain basement prices for brand new, spectacular ships and onboard credits on top of it! The service and food is not quite what it used to be, but the amazing new ships and cheap prices more than make up for it.

I still have a cruise ticket from a cruise on the NORWAY from 1980. My Grandmother took my brother and I. We had to book a year in advance to even get a cabin, and the price for our inside 3-berth was just over $800 per person (1st & 2nd passenger). Today I can book a cruise 30 days before departure on a brand new ship and pay less for a balcony! Go figure.

So in the big scheme of things I feel I've never gotten more for my money. So I can't access a small, insignificant lounge, it's a small price to pay. If and when cruising no longer feels like a value, only then will I reconsider my vacation options.

Ernie

Well that we can agree on. ;)

Many people didn't cruise during those days and don't realize how dirt cheap cruising is these days. My first cruise was in '88 during spring break, my parents paid $1500 each and the third person rate for me, this cruise cost them about $3500 just for the fare, oh and this was in an inside cabin on the then brand new Sovereign. My last cruise was $700 each for a balcony!!!

Had done more cruises on RC than I have on Princess but Princess is my favorite. I don't know if it was just that we were treated better or if it was just over all a better cruise with better ports. I live close to New Orleans and we don't have a Princess Ship near us anymore. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my RC cruises too.

Archived