No kids....?

watermelon5

I think there must be some cruises around that are adult only.

After being on this board only a couple of months, we have come to see that there are a lot of issues that seem to be hot topics. DH and I love cruising, maybe not as much as some as we do take other types of holidays, but we take all the little quirks/rituals/annoyances with a grain of salt. We wrote the following poem as a lighthearted look at cruising. Hope you enjoy it. (I originally posted it on Cruise Rituals.)

"Twas The Night Before Cruising." (with apologies to Clement C. Moore)

'Twas the night before cruising and in our hotel,

The kids were all hyper, the eight "darlings" from Hell.

The bags were all packed and ready to go,

We'd paid a small fortune to escape winter snow.

Morning came quickly and at ten on the nose,

In our suitcases we hid all the booze in our clothes.

And Ma in her flip-flops and I in my Crocs,

Corralled all the kids to head for the docks.

When boarding the ship, we heard such a fuss.

"Let us on early, cuz we're Diamond Plus!

We round up the rugrats and tell them to pose

For 8X10 glossies....We'll pay through the nose!

We check our room number and head for our suite.

There we meet "Stuart", he'll keep our room neat.

He'll leave us all chocolates, towel bunnies galore,

We've even brought streamers to cover our door!

We hear a loud warning and Stuart gets flustered.

Ma is refusing to go for the "Mustard."

An egg crate is promised, if she'll follow the rules.

"Just put on your vest. We ALL look like fools!"

Now Billy, Now Jenny, Now Penny and Justin.

And Bobby, And Levi, And Britney and Dustin.

"Adult Pool Only" reads the sign on the wall.

But splash away, splash away, splash away all!

Evening has fallen, it's time to get ready.

Traditional dining. "Our waiters named Freddy."

Decked in our glitter, like a moll and a mobster,

We sit in our places demanding our lobster.

Dining is over, we head for the show.

Ten places to save, in the front row.

The kids aren't around, "Who really cares?"

They're out in the hallway and playing on stairs.

We round up the brood and head for our suite.

What fun we've all had. Day one is complete.

The kids are all snoring. We're sure they're asleep.

Ma's feeling frisky. To the balcony we creep.

"Brace yourself Ma!" I shout with delight.

"Let's try for another in the moonlight."

The quickie is over, we sneak back to bed.

I think of tomorrow and what lies ahead.

I plan to rise early and be out the door.

Ten deck chairs to save. (We'll only use four.)

Buffet for breakfast, we'll cut into line.

The kids will be hungry, and starting to whine.

Ten days have gone by. It's over I fear.

But from other guests, I hear a loud cheer!

With the holidays over, we're all out of booze.

"HAPPY SAILING TO ALL. WE'LL SEE YOU NEXT CRUISE!!!!!!"

Bill in collaboration with Pearl.

Pearl

Is there such a thing as an all adult cruiseship? If so...please do share!

None of the larger mass market lines are kid free, but you can help yourself by going off-season and on a longer cruise. We were on the 8-day Spirit week before last (presumably spring break), but there were only 350 kids of which we saw about 10 and never any problems with anyone under 18. Now some of the middle aged folks....oh, that was our own group!!!

Three of the luxury cruise lines (Seabourn, Silversea & Regent) have very few children when school is in session. Regent and Silversea offer special programs for children during the summer, spring break and Christmas. Seabourn probably has the least amount of children.

For the parents who want to take an "adult" vacation and those of us who have "been there done that", it would be nice for at least one cruise line (or one cruise ship) to be 100% adult.

This is currently a hot topic on the Silversea forum. In general, the "luxury" lines have had few kids due to the cost factor. Simply too expensive to take them for many people. Many people (myself included) tend to choose these lines for the small amount of people on board the smaller ships and the lack of kids. However, recently several of these lines have offered promotions for children. People who prefer to sail with few or no children ARE NOT HAPPY!!:mad: If you want the kids around, great, but choose a larger line where you know kids will be there.

I currently have an Alaska cruise scheduled on one of these ships for our 15th anniversay and have found out they are offering a special $199 fare for children. I selected this b/c I did not want a bunch of screaming kids around on our special trip. I may cancel and plan something else instead.

The fewest number of kids on the cruises we've taken was on our cruise to New England and Canada. I guess that's not an itinerary--plus the time of year (early October)--that attracts a large number.

But even on the several Christmas cruises we've taken, we usually manage to find quiet areas where there are not many children. The worst ship was the Sun Princess, because its "adults only" pool was right beside the regular one. The best was when we bought passes to the thalassotherapy pool on Celebrity's Century. It was adults only. (Unfortunately, that pool was a victim to the refurbishment and doesn't exist anymore.)

Unfortunately, there are no entire lines that are children free. Your best bet (especially if you cannot afford the luxury lines), is to sail during the times when kids are in school, book cruises longer than 7 days, and the more exotic the destination the better!

This is a problem/consideration for DH and myself, as we prefer no kids on our vacations.

We've only been on Oceania twice, so I'm by no means an expert, but there weren't any children on either sailing. They have no kids' programs, which makes them less appealing to families.

P&O's Arcadia and Artemis do not allow anyone under age 18. But those ships aren't really marketed to the US market.

The rule of thumb is: The longer the cruise the fewer the kids. I just returned from Celebrity Infinity's Panama Canal cruise--14 days---and there were less than 15 kids on board. Crystal and Seabourn don't attract many kids either, especially if you cruise during the winter months. Their itineraries don't attract families and the cost of those cruises don't attract families.

This is currently a hot topic on the Silversea forum. In general, the "luxury" lines have had few kids due to the cost factor. Simply too expensive to take them for many people. Many people (myself included) tend to choose these lines for the small amount of people on board the smaller ships and the lack of kids. However, recently several of these lines have offered promotions for children. People who prefer to sail with few or no children ARE NOT HAPPY!!:mad: If you want the kids around, great, but choose a larger line where you know kids will be there.

I currently have an Alaska cruise scheduled on one of these ships for our 15th anniversay and have found out they are offering a special $199 fare for children. I selected this b/c I did not want a bunch of screaming kids around on our special trip. I may cancel and plan something else instead.

I understand completely! I love children, don't get me wrong, but sometimes, one simply needs to be in a place where there are none around! Think peace, quiet, relaxation......

Yeah....

We tried to organize a Adult Only Cruise Critic group...lots of interest but not much in the way of commitment....Changed the name and had a great group....funny thing was it was 99% kid free.

Celebrity X had a kids free ship years ago....

Now you can find less kids on cruises scheduled when school is in session and you choose longer itins.

BUT Here's some of the difficulties...

We all want a cruise that is:

• Our favorite cruise line, priced reasonably, stops at the ports we want to see, the departure port is ok, the ship is not to old or too big, the time of year is just right, the entertainment and food is great,etc:eek:

Mike

For a while Celebrity would run about 4 to 6 Adult only cruises a year, but I don't know if they still do. I wish they did. That said the last cruise I was on over Christmas had 1000 children, under 18 on board and I hardly saw them at all, of course I don't hang out at the pool either.

Apart from Arcadia and Artemis, there's another British line, Saga, which is for the over 50s only. Although they are all marketed to the Brits, there's no reason why anyone else couldn't use them, especially when they're based in the Caribbean, or for a section of Saga's world cruise.Just beware that they'll probably have fish and chips with mushy peas.....jocap.

We did a Celebrity TA last May, and there were only 21 kids (toddler through 18 YO) on board (one was our 9 YO). The ended up combining all the ages in the Kids Club, and many spent a good chunk of the day there. It seems most of them were home school families - people won't pull their kids from school for 2+ weeks. You might want to look at a TA, which run in spring and fall when school is in session. It's unlikely that such a small handful of kids will disrupt your trip too much.

You might want to look at a TA, which run in spring and fall when school is in session. It's unlikely that such a small handful of kids will disrupt your trip too much.

Not everyone wants to do a TA just so they can avoid children.:rolleyes:

There are cruiselines that do not cater to children but may cost a bit more than mass market lines...you just need to shop around.

A few have been suggested to the OP

Lyn

For a while Celebrity would run about 4 to 6 Adult only cruises a year, but I don't know if they still do. I wish they did. That said the last cruise I was on over Christmas had 1000 children, under 18 on board and I hardly saw them at all, of course I don't hang out at the pool either.

OMG -- that must have been one heck of a large ship to not see 1000 children!

I agree with the other posts- the longer cruises seem to have less kids. We did a 13-day TA cruise last November from Barcelona to New York. When I booked it and asked about the likelihood of lots of kids, I was told one factor that resulted in less children had something to do with embarking and disembarking in different continents, i.e. costs of passports for children? That's all I can recall that is. Nevertheless, there were about 2400-2500 passengers and only 55 kids! I saw a couple babies in strollers, and only saw one small group of preteens during a kid's scavenger hunt activity, and at a couple of the evening shows. That was very nice for us. :p

Archived