How to cancel AA flight within 24 hours and get full refund?

vossjemi

Long story short, booked flight yesterday, need to cancel today. Called res # and Advantage # on AA website and got told no. I don't think transaction has went through credit card yet. I tried to call refund #, but noone ever answered, totally automated. Was able to email a question to the refund dept but haven't heard back...doubtful they will reply within 24 hours. In most major transactions in our state we have a 3 day buyer's remorse where buyer can cancel the transaction...like buying a house, car, furniture, whatever... Heck, even most stores take back unused items with a receipt for 30 days.

I guess I'm just wondering if there is a way to get a refund through a different contact at AA? Or by challenging cc bill? Or any other option that may have worked for someone? Thanks.

First suggestion, seeing as it's urgent: go to http://www.flyertalk.com and look at the American Airlines/AAdvantage forum to see whether there is any information already posted there about AA's policy on refunds requested shortly after booking. Different airlines have different policies about these things.

But normally, if I buy a non-refundable ticket I work on the basis that it's non-refundable. Any policy that is more lenient than that is a bonus.

Long story short, booked flight yesterday, need to cancel today. Called res # and Advantage # on AA website and got told no. I don't think transaction has went through credit card yet. I tried to call refund #, but noone ever answered, totally automated. Was able to email a question to the refund dept but haven't heard back...doubtful they will reply within 24 hours. In most major transactions in our state we have a 3 day buyer's remorse where buyer can cancel the transaction...like buying a house, car, furniture, whatever... Heck, even most stores take back unused items with a receipt for 30 days.

I guess I'm just wondering if there is a way to get a refund through a different contact at AA? Or by challenging cc bill? Or any other option that may have worked for someone? Thanks.

I see you have found the thread and posted to it.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-aadvantage/944256-24-hour-refund.html

I would say you are out of luck. You can't dispute this with your CC company. Be careful when traveling to Canada if you have certain past legal problems, but I see you have discovered that on your own.

Yes they were, and for that I am thankful. It was not my crime. I just got us into a pickle not realizing Canada law and am just trying to figure out our options. We have been to at least 6 countries since this incident so it never occurred to me it would be an issue. And dh doesn't even know I was trying to set up this whole trip for him so its not like he was trying to get away with anything. And, truth of the matter is, there really isn't a conviction....he's had to pass criminal background checks since then for various things, like his job (he has to drive to various clients as part of his job), organizations for which he volunteers, and he has always passed the criminal background check. I can even check public records here and can see anyone's criminal convictions, from big things like murder, all the way down to simple traffic tickets. Its public info, and there is nothing there about him criminally at all period. Its just the dmv standard administrative 90 day suspension that might show up that worries me. I hate to spend a ton of $ planning a Canada trip to have it fall apart in his lap.

You've already received lots of advice. Take the trip and book a hotel on the American side if you don't want to risk it. If you want to try to cross the border, book a refundable hotel on the Canadian side, that will allow you to cancel if your husband can't cross. I am honestly not even sure you would have a problem with the very, very detailed information you have provided.

This is really not an earth shattering issue as you have options. Loads of unnecessary drama, IMO.

Have a good trip.

Unfortunately as others have said you cannot cancel the flight without a penalty. Right before you paid in full there was the opportunity to have put the reservation on hold but once you pay then it is too late.

Keith

Weird, I don't remember seeing that option. Probably in my haste to get a great rate. Last week, trip was $400pp; this week $258!

Weird, I don't remember seeing that option. Probably in my haste to get a great rate. Last week, trip was $400pp; this week $258!

We buy AA on their website and generally put the reservation on hold ... the reservation and price are held until 11:59PM the following day.

Yes, once you get to the point where you can hit the "buy" button, there also is a "hold" button right next to it.

Sorry you are having issues.

Why not call AA and ask for the lower rate...all they can do is say NO;)

Oh, I didn't book at $400! I booked at the $258. But, we may have entry into Canada issues not discovered until after I booked, so rather than deal with all the red tape and worry, I was just going to cancel. But, after 3-4 calls and an email, no can do.

Oh, I didn't book at $400! I booked at the $258. But, we may have entry into Canada issues not discovered until after I booked, so rather than deal with all the red tape and worry, I was just going to cancel. But, after 3-4 calls and an email, no can do.

Go and still enjoy your time around Niagara. I've been considering a trip there in August, and while much of the good stuff in Canada, there is still plenty to do on the US side.

I was just going to cancel. But, after 3-4 calls and an email, no can do.

Just go & enjoy the trip.

If you are denied entry to Canada just worry about it then.

Just enjoy the US side ...not as nice as the Canadian side but... :D

There probably is a way to check if you will incur problems but DH would have to ask so that would ruin the surprise.

I screwed up and book online (NORTHWEST AIRLINES) from Detroit to Miami instead of Fort Lauderdale. Realized it four hours later. Called the online 1-800 # and talked to a gal and she walked me through cancelling on line. According to the contract I had till MIDNIGHT OF THE NEXT DAY to cancel with NO PENALTY.

Did you book online?

Just clicked on the link above and realize you're so out of luck. Sorry.

I realize this is a different airline, but I'd check further. Read your contract.

I then booked the correct flight a few days later.

EDIT - Just clicked the link in an above post and realize you are So out of Luck. Sorry.

Why not call AA and ask for the lower rate...all they can do is say NO;)

As OP stated, she booked at the lower rate. But if she had booked at the $400 price, AA would have let her have the lower rate if it was still available when she called. However, she would have to pay at least a $150 change fee per ticket, thus rendering this a pointless waste of time.

Archived