Splendor offer FROM CARNIVAL for may 3 cruise....

hommebronze

April 29, 2009

Dear Carnival Guest:

We will cancel and replace the scheduled Mexican Riviera itinerary with visits to San

Francisco, Victoria and Seattle on the Carnival Splendor May 3, 2009 departure. Guests that

sail on this cruise will receive a $75 per person onboard credit.

We know you will enjoy your cruise aboard the beautiful Carnival Splendor. However, if this

itinerary change is not acceptable to you we ask that you contact as soon as possible. We

will provide a future cruise credit in the amount you paid for this cruise and you can sail with

us anytime prior to December 31, 2010. Please understand that refunds will not be

provided.

Most importantly, we are looking forward to welcoming you aboard the Carnival Splendor.

The Captain, officers, staff and crew are dedicated to providing you with a fun and

memorable vacation.

Best Regards,

Lynn C. Torrent

Senior Vice President of Sales and Guest Services

Carnival Cruise Lines

Personally I can't see why people are up in arms about stuff like this. Carnival is either offering people an extra $75 to take the trip as it is, or they can take the credit for the amount they paid for the cruise, and do any other cruise you would like. Seems fair to me! As I've said before.. Any cruise is better than a day at work :)

Personally I can't see why people are up in arms about stuff like this. Carnival is either offering people an extra $75 to take the trip as it is, or they can take the credit for the amount they paid for the cruise, and do any other cruise you would like. Seems fair to me! As I've said before.. Any cruise is better than a day at work :)

I have to agree. Swine flu is out of their control and they're doing their best to compensate in some way. I'd be fine with these choices.

I think this is fair. Carnival can't magically make other islands from another country appear off the west coast of Mexico, the ship is still sailing and it's in the contract that they can alter the ports, and 100% cruise credit, well, that's good!

But heck you have options! You have the option of a cabin on a new ship with all the usual great onboard stuff, your tips are going to be paid for you (and you get to pocket $5) and while it will be a different experience it you can still have a great vacation! Or just wait and use the credit on your next vacation.

I can understand people being upset, but this is outside of anyone's control, all we can do is make the best of it. I say take a deep breath and start researching your new ports of call! These are all great cities to visit, you won't begin to experience all they have to offer in a day. True, it's no day at the beach, but that really isn't an option right now, is it?

Finally, a thread with some common sense people! We’re on the May 10th sailing of the Splendor, and like so many others are in a holding pattern. We’ve started looking at the new ports for activities and such, and will modify our packing a little bit. We’d love to be going somewhere a little warmer, but come August in Indiana we’ll be looking for someplace cooler!

We agree that this isn’t what we had in mind, but are also hoping that things don’t get worst in the near future. Instead of wishing we were cruising the Mexican Rivera, we could be wishing that we could just leave home. Under the circumstances, it seems that Carnival is doing all that they can to at least offer some form of a trip.

If the itinerary up to the northwest continues, we are talking about skipping the tanning booth and being water proofed instead.

I imagine if you b*tch enough, they will give you a refund. I would state the policy you agreed to in your contract regarding 24 hour notice of port changes.

I don't mean to be snarky or anything, but this is involving the May 3 sailing, correct? (And I would imagine, all the sailings thereafter...)

You're being given well more than 24 hours notice about a port change.

We're sailing on the Splendor in July...if the swine flu situation isn't resolved by then, then we're going to go ahead and take this cruise (we've already purchased the airfare and have cashed in hotel rewards points for pre-and post-cruise hotel stays...) and we're going to make the best of it. Heck, I've never seen the Pacific Northwest...

It's time people (And I don't mean anyone on this thread, I mean people in general) get a friggin' grip. This is a situation outside of the control of every cruiseline, every airline and it's a situation that changes every day. Sometimes, it changes multiple times in one day.

At this point, I'm giving them all the benefit of the doubt that they're trying to do the best they can.

I think the option Carnival is giving here is beyond fair.

I am sitting here in a spring thunderstorm and rain...if I had booked a crusie to Mexico for the warm weather destinations then I would not want to do the alternative route. I would be happy to switch to another ship with a warm weather destination.

Carnival's contract that you signed with them says you can cancel without penalty within 24 hours of an itinerary change notice. They can say all they want that they will not be issuing refunds but they have no legal leg to stand on. If someone wants a refund - they have to give it. They are just hoping people will accept the statement that they will not be issuing refunds. This is a common business practice but saying it doesn't make it legally binding.

I don't mean to be snarky or anything, but this is involving the May 3 sailing, correct? (And I would imagine, all the sailings thereafter...)

Just to take the other side... I noticed when I had a problem because of a hurricane, folks who werent cruising all lectured me and flamed away.

Remember until you walk a mile in someone else's shoe you cant' know what they are going thru. It is different when it affects you. When you are sitting in your armchair and not affected its much easier to say, well if I were you, I wouldnt be griping. Not everyone is going to be happy and some need time to digest the news.

We are on the May 3rd Splendor to the great Northwest. I just hung up with Carnival. They (the agents) don't know the days/times for the ports yet. So, it remains the Magical Mystery Tour.

There is a $75 OBC per person (but you already knew that). The shore excursions will be available on board only - too late to book on line.

If you had shore excursions booked they are crediting to your S&S account rather than your credit card. Their reasoning is it would take 7 to 10 days to get to the credit card and this way you can have to spend now. I didn't think to ask - does anybody know what happens if you have a credit on your S&S at the end of the cruise? I know that sounds odd, but... we booked shore excursions in all three ports in Mexico. Since we have been to SF and Seattle (actually have children in Seattle so excited about getting to see them), we will probably do our own thing rather than ship shore excursions. So there is a possibility of having credit. Will it be credited back to our credit card?

Yes we were looking forward to warmth. Yes we were looking forward to the ocean. Yes we were looking forward to sand. Yes we were looking forward to snorkeling. Yes we were looking forward to hiking in the Sierra Madres. But, we now get to see Victoria which we have never seen. We get to see our kids in Seattle. We get to ride a bicylce across the Golden Gate Bridge. We have a better chance of seeing whales. There is no language barrier. There is no currency conversion.

The best, however, is... we were booked in a 4E inside cabin. We are now in an 8G extended balcony cabin - at no additional charge :D

We're sailing on the Splendor in July...if the swine flu situation isn't resolved by then, then we're going to go ahead and take this cruise (we've already purchased the airfare and have cashed in hotel rewards points for pre-and post-cruise hotel stays...) and we're going to make the best of it. Heck, I've never seen the Pacific Northwest...

It's time people (And I don't mean anyone on this thread, I mean people in general) get a friggin' grip. This is a situation outside of the control of every cruiseline, every airline and it's a situation that changes every day. Sometimes, it changes multiple times in one day.

At this point, I'm giving them all the benefit of the doubt that they're trying to do the best they can.

I think the option Carnival is giving here is beyond fair.

Very well put. Interesting that Carnival stepped up to plate (they are hit the hardest in terms of number of ships and passengers), and from what I see from the rest of the crowd is a lot of soft shoe

We are on the May 3rd Splendor to the great Northwest. I just hung up with Carnival. They (the agents) don't know the days/times for the ports yet. So, it remains the Magical Mystery Tour.

There is a $75 OBC per person (but you already knew that). The shore excursions will be available on board only - too late to book on line.

If you had shore excursions booked they are crediting to your S&S account rather than your credit card. Their reasoning is it would take 7 to 10 days to get to the credit card and this way you can have to spend now. I didn't think to ask - does anybody know what happens if you have a credit on your S&S at the end of the cruise? I know that sounds odd, but... we booked shore excursions in all three ports in Mexico. Since we have been to SF and Seattle (actually have children in Seattle so excited about getting to see them), we will probably do our own thing rather than ship shore excursions. So there is a possibility of having credit. Will it be credited back to our credit card?

Yes we were looking forward to warmth. Yes we were looking forward to the ocean. Yes we were looking forward to sand. Yes we were looking forward to snorkeling. Yes we were looking forward to hiking in the Sierra Madres. But, we now get to see Victoria which we have never seen. We get to see our kids in Seattle. We get to ride a bicylce across the Golden Gate Bridge. We have a better chance of seeing whales. There is no language barrier. There is no currency conversion.

The best, however, is... we were booked in a 4E inside cabin. We are now in an 8G extended balcony cabin - at no additional charge :D

Good for you, make the best of it and enjoy the ship and your cruise!

If the itinerary up to the northwest continues, we are talking about skipping the tanning booth and being water proofed instead.

DH and I were talking about that last night. We started tanning 3 weeks ago. Could have saved all of that time! But, we will be nice and tan - people will think we have been to Mexico or something :)

April 29, 2009

Dear Carnival Guest:

We will cancel and replace the scheduled Mexican Riviera itinerary with visits to San

Francisco, Victoria and Seattle on the Carnival Splendor May 3, 2009 departure. Guests that

sail on this cruise will receive a $75 per person onboard credit.

We know you will enjoy your cruise aboard the beautiful Carnival Splendor. However, if this

itinerary change is not acceptable to you we ask that you contact as soon as possible. We

will provide a future cruise credit in the amount you paid for this cruise and you can sail with

us anytime prior to December 31, 2010. Please understand that refunds will not be

provided.

Most importantly, we are looking forward to welcoming you aboard the Carnival Splendor.

The Captain, officers, staff and crew are dedicated to providing you with a fun and

memorable vacation.

Best Regards,

Lynn C. Torrent

Senior Vice President of Sales and Guest Services

Carnival Cruise Lines

Just start making plans for rescheduling......they will be giving you this same offer believe me.......

Good luck!

With all the cancellations you might be able to get a suite......bigger cabin would be better....because you won't be able to use the balcony:D

I think this is fair. Carnival can't magically make other islands from another country appear off the west coast of Mexico, the ship is still sailing and it's in the contract that they can alter the ports, and 100% cruise credit, well, that's good!

But heck you have options! You have the option of a cabin on a new ship with all the usual great onboard stuff, your tips are going to be paid for you (and you get to pocket $5) and while it will be a different experience it you can still have a great vacation! Or just wait and use the credit on your next vacation.

I can understand people being upset, but this is outside of anyone's control, all we can do is make the best of it. I say take a deep breath and start researching your new ports of call! These are all great cities to visit, you won't begin to experience all they have to offer in a day. True, it's no day at the beach, but that really isn't an option right now, is it?

What a great thoughtful post. :)

Covers all possible viewpoints IMHO. Potential whiners should read and reread this post.:D

I didn't think to ask - does anybody know what happens if you have a credit on your S&S at the end of the cruise?

We had this happen when our catamaran tour was canceled in Cozumel due to rough seas. If you end up with a credit then they'll send you a check along with your final sail and sign bill.

You WILL be able to use the balcony! I have been on two Alaskan cruises and we loved having the balcony!

I think you will have a wonderful time tulsacubfan.. I love your attitude! ellen

Sure if you can stand the cold I suppose........

Victoria is amazing! You will love it! The hanging flower baskets, the Parliament building lit at night, Roger's Chocolates... I am envious. Have a wonderful cruise. :) This is actually an itinerary that I would pick for myself over the Mexican Riviera. Too bad my summer vacation doesn't start until June. I would love to grab one of the cancellations that is sure to be a result of the port changes.

What i mean is that stated in your contract, you have 24 hours from the time your cruised is announced it will be missing ports, to cancel for a full refund.

I agree that Carnival has done a tremendous job rerouting the ships.

BUT, I do have to say, the Splendor(while there really are no other options) cruises are a COMPLETELY different itenerary then what people signed on for. To get a Pacific Northwest sailing after booking Mexican Riviera, I think customers should have the option to walk away completely.

My original post meant that I wouldn't take the future credit as the end of the line. If you want your money back, I would keep pressing.

BUT, I do have to say, the Splendor(while there really are no other options) cruises are a COMPLETELY different itenerary then what people signed on for. To get a Pacific Northwest sailing after booking Mexican Riviera, I think customers should have the option to walk away completely.

My original post meant that I wouldn't take the future credit as the end of the line. If you want your money back, I would keep pressing.

I agree!

I am sitting here in a spring thunderstorm and rain...if I had booked a crusie to Mexico for the warm weather destinations then I would not want to do the alternative route. I would be happy to switch to another ship with a warm weather destination.

Carnival's contract that you signed with them says you can cancel without penalty within 24 hours of an itinerary change notice. They can say all they want that they will not be issuing refunds but they have no legal leg to stand on. If someone wants a refund - they have to give it. They are just hoping people will accept the statement that they will not be issuing refunds. This is a common business practice but saying it doesn't make it legally binding.

Their passenger ticket contract refers to VOLUNTARY itinerary changes... This is not voluntary. Carnival has posted a clear message concerning these changes due to CDC advisory and swine flu:

STATEMENT REGARDING SWINE INFLUENZA

Miami - April 29, 2009 7:00PM

Carnival Cruise Lines has canceled port of call visits to Mexico for 11 of its ships that are currently operating voyages and had scheduled stops in Mexico.

Additionally, for the 15 ships departing between Thursday, April 30 and Monday, May 4 with itineraries including calls in Mexican ports, those schedules have been modified. In many instances, the modification simply involved substituting an alternate port. Click here to see the details on the modified itineraries.

Guests who do not wish to sail on a modified itinerary may opt to receive a refund in the form of a future cruise credit equal to the full amount paid for the voyage. The credit may be applied to an alternate sailing departing through the end of 2010. Compensation for missed ports/altered itineraries (where applicable) for guests who sail varies by itinerary.

With four and five-day cruises from Galveston and New Orleans that are being converted to seven-day voyages, those guests may opt to receive their refund in the form of a future cruise credit or money back.

For cruises departing after May 4, an update will be provided in the near future. Guests are encouraged to check carnival.com periodically for further updates.

It's hard to understand how folks simply don't get that this situation is beyond Carnival's control....... Heaven help us if we ever have any serious problems that are truly life threatening.

Archived