Going out of Boston

Can anyone suggest a GOOD hotel for 2 nights before our october cruise out of Boston? RCI suggests the Westin but $400 a night is a little steep for me, $300 or even $250 is more what we usually spend. I know Boston's prices are high but unless the Westin is 5 star which is isnt I would rather spend a little less. Also since we are in Boston for 2 days what are the must sees? I do want to go to Quincy Market as I have been there before, any others? I know there is lots to do there, but always love CC's suggestions.

Thanks,

I really can't answer your question, but I know that the answers are located on the East Coast Departure Boards. We will be staying at the Hyatt Harborside by the airport. I've been there before and it is very nice. But, I think that the Boston residents that help on that board can give you better ideas. ($400 seems a little steep, even though Boston is usually expensive). Jan

we're from Plymouth, MA.. highly recommend the Marriot on the Wharf. You can walk to Quincy Market, the aquarium, the North End. The Marriot has great views good bars and restaurant. Just make sure you don't get a room facing the highway..unless of course you want one.

we're from Plymouth, MA.. highly recommend the Marriot on the Wharf. You can walk to Quincy Market, the aquarium, the North End. The Marriot has great views good bars and restaurant. Just make sure you don't get a room facing the highway..unless of course you want one.

I second this, the Marriot on the Wharf would be the perfect place for a pre cruise stay. Also second the room facing the harbour, youo"ll be able to watch your ship sail in.

We stayed at the Marriott Longwharf and got it for $175.00 on priceline. The hotel is in a great location and has a Starbucks. We did the Northeast cruise last September. It was a wonderful trip.

GPG

I would definitely suggest walking the Freedom Trail. It starts at Boston Common and if I remember correctly is marked on the sidewalk. There are also guides dressed in period costumes if you want to do a walking tour with them (I don't know if there is a charge). Boston is a great walking town with PLENTY of history crammed into a small area. If you stand in the right spot you can see the Old State House and the New State House at the same time. If you go to Quincy Market, don't forget to pop into Faneuil Hall. You can even stamp your passport at a desk upstairs if you want!

As a rule I hate cities, but I loved Boston!

All of the major hotel chains have properties in the downtown Boston area. Check out their websites for any special offers that they may have available for the time you will be there. You could also try Priceline. In the past several of our friends have had good success getting quality lodgings for about $100 a night. In October you will be faced with higher rates because of the leaf peepers, and the fact that many of the local colleges will be having homecoming weekends and many business meetings and conferences are held downtown at that time of year. If you are willing to stay outside of the downtown area, there are less expensive hotels in the neighboring communities of Quincy, Dorchester, Cambridge, Somerville, Revere etc. many of which are on the rapid transit (T) subway lines. Your roll call thread will probably be your best source of information.

:)

If you're looking for value, the Doubletree Guest Suites near Cambridge is usually $175-$200 a night and they have a free shuttle that runs from the hotel to most of the popular attractions in Boston. It's an all-suite hotel, too, and located right on the Charles River, which is nice.

We have a really good aquarium, so if you're interested in that, that's always a fun place to visit. Quincy Market is a neat place to visit also. My family did the Freedom Trail the first time we visited Boston, but it's a long walk to do the whole thing and it won't be all that warm in October, so if you like, you could always pick out the most interesting parts of the Freedom Trail (like the Old North Church and some of the cemeteries) and visit those.

I live in the Boston area. I recently booked the Hyatt at Logan airport of for $70 on priceline. (I had an early flight) It is right on the harbor overlooking the Black Falcon Pier which is where you will be leaving from. Most people don't bother booking here because it is a $25 cab ride from Downtown but people don't realize there is a water taxi that leaves from the Hyatt that will drop you off close enough to walk to your cruise terminal.

http://www.massport.com/logan/getti_typeo_water.html#MBTA

I also got the Hilton downtown for $100 on Priceline.

Check out Hotwire too.

The Seaport Hotel, Renaissance Boston Waterfront & The Westin Waterfront are all walking distance too and have shuttles available.

Book on Priceline and use the Boston Waterfront - Convention center as your primary booking zone and Quincy Market, Faneuil Hall - Downtown as your secondary choice.

Harborside Inn is another cheap alternative. Well cheap as far as Boston goes but I have booked here for $99.

What date in October are you looking for a room? As others said, that is peak season. There have been some good deals on Priceline and Hotwire. Are you only 2 people? Do you need more than 1 bed? If you feel comfortable getting a non-refundable hotel, that seems to be the way to go to get a downtown hotel. Otherwise you will be staying out in Cambridge or Charlestown or northeast of the airport. Come to the East Coast Departures or New England boards so your posting doesn't get lost in a sea of RCL chatter.

That's the Jewel cruise. It was the subject of a lot of discussion when I went on the Explorer in February. People were trying to find reasonable rooms then and were having trouble. Somebody who has been on it several times said it is a very popular cruise - there is a group of at least 300 repeat cruisers.

I'm looking at Hotwire and I see a 3.5* Back Bay hotel for $109 and a 4* Back Bay hotel for $189. Better Bidding indicates that these are probably the Sheraton and Westin. You may have to roll the dice and gamble on a non-refundable room.

Both the Westin & Sheraton are great convention type hotels but I am surprised listed as 3.5*. Grab the $109. It's a great rate for the location. Parking sucks though. Approx $35 a nite in the area if u need it. No more than $15 cab ride to black Falcon pier. Anything in back bay under $250 is a deal.

The Sheraton is the 3.5* and the Westin Copley Place is the 4*. I agree - either is a great deal if you are willing to do a nonrefundable. The only issue may be the bed size. The Sheraton offers kings and 2 doubles and the Westin offers kings and 2 queens. However, they both do offer kings, so it may not be a problem at all. The dates are also weekdays which are always a higher price. From what I've seen, I don't think they will do any better.

what are you doing with your car? we drive down from maine and stay near the airport-sheraton,comfort,hampton inn and leave our car for the duration. cheapest has been comfort inn at $189. called park and fly-you need to call direct. not as convenient as being downtown but can't beat the price.

Every hotel chain has hotels in Boston. I used to go to the Marriott at

the Wharf for brunch. Nice hotel. I have stayed at the Colonade

and in downtown Boston there are lots of hotels.

I would go to Expedia or Travelocity and put in the dates you want and

see what the best rates are and then go to the hotel website and

book it directly.

I like the Residence Inn and Hampton Inn because you get a living room and kitchen

at the Residence Inn and free breakfast daily at both hotels and its usually reasonable.

Boston is a great city to stay a day or 2 before going on a cruise.

The Sheraton is the 3.5* and the Westin Copley Place is the 4*. I agree - either is a great deal if you are willing to do a nonrefundable. The only issue may be the bed size. The Sheraton offers kings and 2 doubles and the Westin offers kings and 2 queens. However, they both do offer kings, so it may not be a problem at all. The dates are also weekdays which are always a higher price. From what I've seen, I don't think they will do any better.

I doubt you will have any issues getting the bed/room you need. I am astounded by the price of the Sheraton. It tells me the hotel plans to be very empty during your stay.

what are you doing with your car? we drive down from maine and stay near the airport-sheraton,comfort,hampton inn and leave our car for the duration. cheapest has been comfort inn at $189. called park and fly-you need to call direct. not as convenient as being downtown but can't beat the price.

Parking is available at the Black Falcon pier for $15 a day with valid cruise ticket.You can probably get it cheaper elsewhere but will have to cab it.

http://www.massport.com/ports/cruis_parki.html

Lovrccl, are you sailing on 10/27/2009 Jewel repo? I can't find you on our Roll Call list. Won't you come on over to the Roll Call and join our great group. As mentioned, there are many who have taken this cruise before. Lots of fun things planned on board, too.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

The Renaissance on the Boston Harbor is nice and not quite as pricey as some of the others, I believe the AAA rate is less than $300. I don't think I would want to walk to the pier from there, but it would be a short taxi ride.

I doubt you will have any issues getting the bed/room you need. I am astounded by the price of the Sheraton. It tells me the hotel plans to be very empty during your stay.

My dd graduated from B.U. two days ago, so I had my share of visiting and staying in a hotel in Boston. We always stayed at the Hilton Back Bay, for its proximity to B.U., and its great location in the Back Bay. October is the busiest month in Boston because it is a HUGE college town and all of the colleges have their parents and alumni weekends in October. On top of that the Red Sox are usually in the playoffs and there is a huge boat race in October. Reserve the room you want, pronto. I am not crazy about the Sheraton, because it is open to the Prudential Center and the Hynes Convention Center so there are transients in the lobby which makes it less safe, jmo. The Hilton is accross the street to the Sheraton. You can walk to Newbury Street and all of the lovely shops and restaurants. You can walk to Fenway.

Archived