2 cabin stewards-tipping?

tjcletsgo

OUr stewards were absolutely wonderful. On the last evening, before we went to dinner, we left two addressed envelopes on the bed with a significant tip for the main steward and a lesser amount for his assistant.

Great question.

It is rare when DH and I don't instinctively know who/when/how/how much to tip but the first time we had a cabin steward working with an assistant, we had to pause and think through what we wanted to do about tipping.

They provided us with excellent service. Everything was meticulous and it is always our habit to tip additonal to the automatic tip added to our shipboard accounts.

We decided to tip both by envelope that last evening of our cruise.... Same amount to both? We decided No. The fellow who introduced himself to us said he was our steward and that we would later meet his assistant. We did later meet the assistant. Another delightful young man who could not have been nicer or more obliging. But we chose to tip a lower amount to the assistant and have done that since on all our subsequent cruises.

I did not "double" the extra -- I left more or less what I'd have done for one person, in an envelope addressed to both, so they could split it however they chose.

Hmmm... now there's a good idea. I might suggest that to DH for our upcoming Maasdam cruises.

I did not "double" the extra -- I left more or less what I'd have done for one person, in an envelope addressed to both, so they could split it however they chose.

When we had 2 cabin stewards we were puzzled what to do. We ended up doing the same as you. We handed the envelope to them (they were both present) and mentioned that we know they split it between them.

IMO they both seemed to work equally hard, but we were giving them the opportunity to split it as they deemed fit.

We gave separate, equal amounts to both, which was a little more than half what we used to give a solo steward. Since the two-man teams now cover twice as many cabins than the solos used to, this is a slight increase from us!

But - I like the idea of giving one envelope addressed to both! I think I'll change to that method.

We gave each one equal amounts. Didn't notice any different service between them. They had a total of 29 cabins and worked very hard.

We handed them their envelopes personally and thanked them for their service.the total amount was a bit more than what we would have tipped for one. by the way leaving the tip in one envelope and addressed to both may not be the best idea. Unless you give it when both are present, one doesn't know if both will actually get their share or one may have a windfall.

Do all rooms on all sailings have two stewards? I don't remember having two two years ago, but I could be wrong.
The 2-man team concept just started last Sep or Oct. Innlady1 said for her cruise (this Feb) in a stern cabin she had only one.

Unless you give it when both are present, one doesn't know if both will actually get their share or one may have a windfall.

These people work so VERY closely together that I cannot see either steward attempting to cheat the other. They have to count on each other on an ongoing basis. Personally I don't like handing out gratuities in person -- I feel that a little note of thanks along with the grat is more respectful to the people receiving the gratuity.

For both our Eurodam and Noordam cruises, we saw one steward more than the other one -- so we gave the main cabin steward more than the assistant.

And we gave them their tips personally.

We thought about putting the tips money in one envelope as we had done in the past and letting them decide how much each one should get. But that would have meant that the main steward would have to make the decision as to how much each of them should get and we didn't want to make one person feel responsible for making that decision.

On our recent Westerdam cruise, both cabin stewards worked together every day in our cabin -- they both worked equally as hard as the other one. Then one of our stewards told us that he was going home the day we got into San Diego. No problem -- we gave him one amount and the new steward that took his place got the rest of what we would have given him. Of course the cabin steward that was there the entire time got the amount of what we gave the other 2 together.

These people work so VERY closely together that I cannot see either steward attempting to cheat the other. They have to count on each other on an ongoing basis. Personally I don't like handing out gratuities in person -- I feel that a little note of thanks along with the grat is more respectful to the people receiving the gratuity.
We write the note on the envelope that we hand out in person, with a verbal thanks as well.

We have not experienced 2 room stewards, and will look to see what we get on our Med cruise next month. In the dining room we have always given the headwaiter a little more than the assistant. We may give each room steward the same amount. I do like to do it in person to thank them warmly and to let them know they are appreciated.

Karen

I give the same total amount to the two stewards as I used to give to one.

It matters not how often I see either one, as long as my cabin is properly serviced; I have no idea who did what. I've come to the conclusion that it's just as well to leave one envelope, addressed to both, with the thank-you note and money inside. I'm certain they already have an agreement for distribution between them.

I do make sure that the note lets them know this is a "little extra" so they know they don't have to turn it in---that I have left the service charge intact.

Although we haven't cruised HAL yet, but in the past cruises we give each room steward (extra, in addition to the auto tips) the same amount each in 2 envelopes, with their name on each and a thank you note.

We try to see them on our way to dinner on the last night, but if not, leave it on the bed for evening turndown. They have always acknowledged the gift the next day.

I figure, the amounts are divied up for the auto tipping, so giving each the same extra tip is fair. The single envelope with both names could work too.

The first time I encountered two room stewards was on my recent Noordam cruise and, like others, was puzzled at what to do in offering an additional gratuity to them. They told me that one of them was responsible for taking care of the bathroom and the other was responsible for caring for the living/sleeping area. (It was my understanding that this was done consistently in all of the cabins that they serviced.) It seemed to me that both areas require relatively equal work so that their duties were fairly evenly divided. Thus, what to do?

I decided to give them both a separate, but equal gratuity whose sum was more than what I would have given to just one steward. (I felt, by the way, that I was being too generous at the time I did this.)

I like the idea of one envelope addressed to both of them with boosting my "regular" additional amount by a bit.

My only complaint with their service--which I indicated on the end of cruise comment form--was the lack of attention to keeping the salt residue off the veranda's railing and furniture. This, I attributed to the increase in the number of cabins for which they are responsible. If I am right in my thinking, HAL has taken a step backward in this area: Whatever happened to the "Spotless Fleet"?

We had the same problem on the Noordam -- concerning the balcony -- we had to ask them to clean it every day.

But on the Westerdam -- they automatically cleaned the railing and everything else on the verandah -- didn't have to ask.

I was surprised that the veranda was not being cared for. It has been my experience on other HAL ships (as well as on Princess and Cunard) when I have had a veranda that cleaning the veranda was part of the daily routine. Salt residue on the veranda was the first thing I noticed when I entered my stateroom. And, I was, as I said, surprised. The second thing I did was to get a towel and clean the railing and furniture--which I did each day from that point on. On that first afternoon, after wiping the railing and the towel became BLACK, I was just a bit more than disappointed. As I said, whatever happened to the Spotless Fleet?

I don't know if this is too personal but what range would you suggest total for the two for a seven day cruise? This is new for me.

For me, my usual additional gratuity for a cabin steward is $3.50/person/day. I would probably add an extra $1.75/person/day for the assistant.

When we give additional tips, we just took whatever the "cut" of the $11/day autotip the steward gets ($3.75 or $4, something like that) and multiplied by the days on ship. So 7 days X $4 x 2 people. Same for the dining stewards if we have fixed dining. Bear in mind, whatever you give is additional, over and above the auto-tip. So it is completely discretionary, completely what YOU are comfortable with. If I knew that others were giving $10/day, X 2 people X 7 days OR $2/day X 2 people X 7 days, I'd still be comfortable with my decision :)

Archived