Obtaining Euros at the Barcelona Airport

It has been discussed that the best way / cheapest way to get your Euros is to use your credit card and use the ATMs...

While at dinner the other night with friends, one mentioned that their was an exchange or teller windows at the airport where you could get your Euros and then if you had any left over, they would purchase them back for free when you got back to the airport???

I am just curious from those who know is the a good way to do it??? I am not even 100% sure of where they did this, but they said you couldnt miss it at the airport.... prob on the way out after you got your luggage...

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

Certain there are currency exchange bureaux and banks at the airport. You can use them if you prefer, but the combination of fees and exchange rate are almost always going to be less in your favor than getting money using an ATM.

It is fairly common for a "buy-back" provision. You need the receipt and, supposedly you will get an exchange back to dollars sans fees and at the inverse of the exchange rate you paid (that is, you don't lose any money this time around).

No to be cute, but the do not hide the exchange desks .. exit baggage and you will see them.

My experience is to just use the ATM's over the exchange booths.

To be honest nothing is free in life. Many other companies do what you have heard. You end up paying for it whether it either in the initial fees and/or in the exchange rate itself.

Keith

It has been discussed that the best way / cheapest way to get your Euros is to use your credit card and use the ATMs...
The best way is to use your debit card and an ATM. Debit cards charge 0% to 3% conversion fee plus $0 to $5 transaction fee.

My credit card, on the other hand, would cost 3% of the amount of the cash advance but not less than $10, plus 3% currency conversion, with interest at 22% APR.

Comparisons of credit and debit card fees are here: http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Credit/Debit/ATM_Cards_and_Foreign_Exchange

While at dinner the other night with friends, one mentioned that their was an exchange or teller windows at the airport where you could get your Euros and then if you had any left over, they would purchase them back for free when you got back to the airport???

I am just curious from those who know is the a good way to do it??? I am not even 100% sure of where they did this, but they said you couldnt miss it at the airport.... prob on the way out after you got your luggage...

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

This is a dreadful way to do it. I priced pounds at an exchange booth at Heathrow. The markup was 28% with the buy back guarantee and 22% without the guarantee. Avoid the rip off exchange booths and save by studying the above link and this link, too: http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/moneytip.htm .

When we arrived at the Barcelona airport this past January there were official "helpers" in uniforms to direct folks to exactly where the ATM machine was and some basic directions on how to use it. With the two guards nearby, but keeping their distance and also keeping everyone else away from the machine while we were using it. we felt very safe using our card and then they directed folks exactly how to get to the taxi stands, Metro or the Renfre train. That was the best and easiest airport ATM experience we have ever had!

Based on the above recommendations, I checked out the website listing the banks and the fees they charge, and contacted Capital One (we already have a credit card with them and plan to take it on our cruise this fall - no additional fees for purchases). They have an account called an electronic "high yield" money market account in the banking division. Opening balance can be $1. It is interest bearing and FDIC protected, of course. There is no fee to open or close, no minimum balance and no minimum deposits. You can request an ATM card (cash, not debit) and checks if needed. The most important: there is no fee for withdrawing from any ATM in europe (ATM must use PLUS system), and the maximum per day withdrawal is $500 USD. So now we have 4 months to save up our money and when we get to Barcelona we can withdraw our Euros with no additional bank fees from the US bank. We also have a special "travel savings account" which makes it easy to save for our trips. It was simple to set up - right over the phone. The lady at Cap One said that she had been getting calls from people learning about them on travel sites - hopefully all this free publicity for them will keep the fees as they are:)

I have 4 credit/debit cards-accounts at 3 banks. I take 2 of the cards DH the others. We have learned that some countries have one bank therefore system that dominates and cards are only "good" at ATMS on same system (Plus, Star etc.). Call your bank a few days before leaving to notify that you will be in ___ country on these dates AND ask about the current rules and fees for that bank for that time period. FEES and rules do change even if you just traveled a few months ago. We upgraded to a premium checking account (no charge) to get a larger limit and FREE ATMS withdrawal (they pay back other bank's fees automatically). One account we just put money in it when we travel -- if should need more than what can take out under the daily limit. One of the largest needs for money quick would be medical needs -- pay before treatment in cash! We have a medical travel insurance (medjet assist) for a yearly fee. Thankfully never have had to use it but have seen on 3 different cruises folks that had to have a medvac helicopter. Costly!

Barcelona was easy to use ATMS at airport. We came out of customs and ATMS were half-way or a little more down the building. Exchange bureaus were closer to customs. The thing we couldn't find was the airport bus into the city but the taxi sure was nice after a long flight!

It was very easy to use the ATM's against the wall at barcelona airport. we will only carry 2 ATM cards in the future, in case one stops working. we had that happen. big deal and lots of phone calls to the bank to reinstate it, even tho' we told them where we were going. TD bank doesn't charge an ATM fee in Europe if you keep a balance of $2500.

the airport has an info booth and they can tell you what bus to take to your hotel. it was a breeze. buses didn't pick up passengers in the city, so you were only travelling with people from the airport. it was very safe and cheap

We absolutely stay away from those currency exchange booths in airports and in some train stations (rome especially). Their exchanges rates are scandalous. We also stay away from banks at home for the same reason. We use foreign exchange offices in the city where we live (there are two within a block and we get competitve rates) or we use the atm at the airport. Be careful, some ATM's are dressed up to look as bank/post office ATMS..they are not and have a userous exchange rate. After many, many trips our habit is to use ATM's and always get the maximum withdrawal possible. We never use ATM's at night or ATMs that are not in a very busy public. We prefer the ones that are actually inside a bank.

When you get euros from the ATMs at BCN, what denomination bills do you get? Small enough to use for the airport bus fare? Do you buy your tix from the driver or is there a booth to go to first? Thanks

If I recall, as at any ATM, you can take any denominations.

I don't recall if you buy the bus tix from the driver, but the information booth can give the info, as well as a map and plot the route to your hotel from the bus. They were very helpful

When you get euros from the ATMs at BCN, what denomination bills do you get? Small enough to use for the airport bus fare? Do you buy your tix from the driver or is there a booth to go to first? Thanks
Request €295 instead of €300 if you do not want all €20 notes. I hope ATMs do not dispense €50 notes.

As others have said, the ATM was right outside of baggage claim and was very easy to use. One word of caution is to watch your stuff when you are waiting for your bags. There was only one belt in use and a few hundred people waiting for bags...when the bags came out there was a mad rush. One of my Mom's suitcases never showed up so we went to the lost luggage office to file a claim...an American lady had gotten her wallet, passport, and a lot of cash stolen in the mad rush of people. This was in Sep 2008.

The bus driver will have lots of change. You can actually purchase the ticket from a machine or from the driver. We do the latter. Depending on where you are staying, it may be better to take the train from the Airport to Sants station, and then hop on the subway. We usually travel very light so this is not an issue but it is if you have lots of luggage, or big suitcases, it could be a hassle.

I will be needing more euros than a single ATM withdrawal or two as we have arranged several private tours. this will be about 1500 euros. Any suggestions as to the best way to get a larger amount of euros beforehand (and not have to use the airport exchange windows)?

Not certain where you live. In our city we have several foreign exchange offices. We typically check the bank, and then check their rates. They have always offered significantly better rates than our bank.

Request €295 instead of €300 if you do not want all €20 notes. I hope ATMs do not dispense €50 notes.

You likely will not get €295 from an ATM. I have never seen an ATM in the US that would give you $295.

ATM's do give €50 notes. I asked for €500 at AMS airport last October and received ten €50 notes.

It worked out fine!

An ATM at BCN is against the wall of windows facing the road where the buses, taxis, etc are -- the final exit after customs, etc, on the right side.

AS far as amounts, I withdrew 220 e. There were higher denominations offered at some ATMs, I wasn't sure what my home bank (ETrade, no ATM fees, no transaction fee) would think of a $500 or more withdrawal.

Our city is too small for a foreign exchange office. Is my only option the local banks?

If you're a AAA motor club member, they can send you foreign currency. I think that's how I'm going to get my initial euros before my cruise.

Based on the above recommendations, I checked out the website listing the banks and the fees they charge, and contacted Capital One (we already have a credit card with them and plan to take it on our cruise this fall - no additional fees for purchases). They have an account called an electronic "high yield" money market account in the banking division. Opening balance can be $1. It is interest bearing and FDIC protected, of course. There is no fee to open or close, no minimum balance and no minimum deposits. You can request an ATM card (cash, not debit) and checks if needed. The most important: there is no fee for withdrawing from any ATM in europe (ATM must use PLUS system), and the maximum per day withdrawal is $500 USD. So now we have 4 months to save up our money and when we get to Barcelona we can withdraw our Euros with no additional bank fees from the US bank. :)

So, you can use an ATM card in Europe to withdraw money? I thought you only could use a debit card.... Is the CapitalOne ATM card affiliated with MasterCard/Visa??? (The ATM card I currently have [not through Capital One, but through my credit union] doesn't have any type of affiliation, i.e., MasterCard or Visa, so I'm not sure I would be able to use that in Europe???

Archived