New Itinerary

brian_uk

Thanks Frank, another superb job!

Okay, now that we're back in business, here's my best shot.

Insignia's 76 day repositioning, beginning on or about March 7, 2011.

Santiago, Chile

5 sea days

Easter Island

2 sea days

Pitcairn Island

4 sea days

Bora Bora

Raiatea

Moorea

Papeete, end of 17 day segment.

Papeete

Sea day

Rarotonga, Cook Islands

Sea day

Pago Pago, American Samoa

Suva, Fiji

2 sea days

Russell(Bay of Islands), N.Z.

Auckland

Sea day

Wellington

3 sea days

Sydney (overnight), end of 16 day segment.

Sydney

Sea day

Melbourne

Sea day

Hobart, Tasmania

2 sea days

Adelaide

3 sea days

Perth

Geraldton, Australia

Sea day

Exmouth, Australia

2 sea days

Bali

2 sea days

Singapore, end of 20 day segment.

Singapore, beginning of a standard repo to Istanbul.

Sea day

Phuket

3 sea days

Cochin

Sea day

Mumbai

2 sea days

Salalah, Oman

4 sea days

Petra (Aqaba)

Luxor (Safaga) (overnight)

Transit Suez Canal

Port Said

2 sea days

Istanbul, end of 23 day segment, or full 76 day repo.

Full 76 day repositioning will end on or about May 15, 2011.

Owners Suite pricing for the full 76 days: $115,998.

I have really enjoyed reading all the input to this discussion. Many of the ports I am familiar with, but quite a few are new to me. I would like to read about why you selected those ports and what you would like to do there. I'm interested in how you would visualize your cruise, what you would do in each port, and why you/I would enjoy that cruise. This has been very educational for me and now I'm curious about many of the places. I did this for my two selections and will post them separately right after this to go first. I think we can have a lot of "what if" fun with this.

Originally Posted by portpuno

This is a great idea. Here is my suggestion

Paris (Rouen/Le Havre)

St Malo

Bourdeaux (great city to visit and walk around)

Lisbon

Sea day

Porta Delgada, Azores

Funchal, Madeira

Tenerife, Canary Islands

Santa Cruz, Canary Islands

Lanzarote, Canary Islands

Sea Day

Casablanca

Tangiers

Gibraltar (fun place with apes, plus great view from top)

Barcelona

Several other close ports could be inserted like Cadiz, Seville, Valencia, or Palma de Mallorca.

This includes all the stops you normally have to do a transatlantic to visit without the many sea days.

After checking some of the distances, I need to submit a revision as follows:

Paris (Rouen/Le Havre) This gives a chance to do Paris pre-cruise instead of London

St Malo

Bordeaux

Sea day

Lisbon

Sea day

Porta Delgada, Azores

Sea day

Funchal, Madeira

Tenerife, Canary Islands

Santa Cruz, La Palma, Canary Islands

Lanzorate, Canary Islands (Pick 2 Canary Island ports or half days)

Casablanca

Tangiers

Gibraltar

Sea day

Barcelona

I think this will work timewise. If Bordeaux isn't possible due to the river/tides then Bilboa, La Coruna or Oporto can be placed here to make the timing work.

Why I want to do this. My DWs family is originally from Madeira. She wants to visit, but it doesn’t make sense to us to do a transatlantic with the many sea days. We like to visit many different ports if we are going to invest in a cruise. Also, the timing is always in spring or fall. I would hope this could be incorporated into the European season and be done maybe in June or August. We live in Florida, so the heat doesn’t bother us. We would think the weather would be nicer closer to summer. No other cruises currently offer the opportunity to visit the Azores, Madeira, and the Canary islands in one itinerary. This is the prime point of this cruise, with the other ports being secondary.

Paris would be a pre-cruise city for us. We had one day during “London to Rome” on Regatta in 2005. Just time for an overview. Need to go in the Louvre, Notre Dame, up the Eiffel Tower, go to Versaille. No other cruises leave from Paris. Only city I went to before that I need to go back to. (already did London-don’t need to do again)

St Malo- cancelled on previous cruise due to weather-still want to do Mont St Michel.

Bordeaux-great city to walk around. We lived in California, love winery tours. May be problem with time to go up river and tides. Can substitute some other to make timing work out. New place for us to explore.

Lisbon is a neat city. We went to Fatima, so we need to explore the city more this time.

Islands Just want to see them and explore.

Casablanca/Tangiers. Never been there, just curious to see.

Gibraltar. Most fun place we have visited. Great views from rock. One of my favorite pictures is with the ape sitting on my head. DW got to feed them out of her hand. (Both of these were supervised by the guide-don’t do this w/o help-apes can be dangerous). Would love to go back.

Barcelona. DW wants to go to Monserret. She didn’t go last time because the tour description indicated extreme walking and scared her off. There was a cart available to transport people from bus parking to the church. Just incredible place.

As an alternative after Gibraltar, the ship could return to Lisbon to disembark to save a sea day. It might take two days to get to the Azores, so a day could be made up here. As I initially the islands is the reason, so I would forego another port to be sure I had a full day in the Azores and Madeira and at least two days in the Canaries (preferably three).

Here is my second submission (with suggested overnights added)

Miami

Nassau/Freeport-need one non US stop

Jacksonville

Savannah

Charleston

Norfolk

Baltimore(overnight)

Philadelphia

New York (overnight)

New Haven

Newport

Boston (overnight)

Select enough overnights for 14 days. Tie this into Canadian itineraries or the northern transatlantic through Canada-Greenland-Iceland. Or do a reverse back to Miami.

Why I want to do this: Overview-We live in Florida, so this would be a great chance to explore the east coast and just have return air. I have done several of these places before when I was much younger, but would love to revisit and DW would be new to most of the ports. These ports are full of American history and would be an opportunity to explore it in one trip w/o the driving time in between stops. Plus, no one else does an itinerary this extensive for the east coast.

Miami-just go to ship for us, but for others South Beach, Everglades, even Key West if you arrive a couple days early. (Key West could easily be added to this as the first stop).

Nassau or Freeport need to be here to satisfy Jones act. Been to Nassau several times. Always a fun place. Never been to Freeport, could be a change of pace for Oceania.

Jacksonville is near St Augustine, an interesting place to visit.

Savannah has the southern charm.

Charleston is filled with old homes and Fort Sumter.

Norfolk is the port for colonial Williamsburg.

Baltimore is the gateway for Washington, DC. Baltimore has a wonderful aquarium. More than enough to do for two days.

Philadelphia has Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, Betsy Ross home, cheese steaks and soft pretzels. Who could ask for more.

New York has Times square, Empire State building, Statue of Liberty, Radio City. Stay overnight and see a show on Broadway.

New Haven has Mystic Seaport.

Newport has many scenic areas, home of the Astors and Vanderbilts.

Boston has many historical buildings, visit Lexington and Concord or the USS Constitution. Having a day to visit the last port is one of Oceania’s best offerings.

Portpuno, My husband and I keep meaning to take a vacation, driving up the coast from South Florida, where we live. Your "Eastern seaboard" itinerary would sure save us a lot of driving and what is better than an Oceania sailing?

Portpuno, My husband and I keep meaning to take a vacation, driving up the coast from South Florida, where we live. Your "Eastern seaboard" itinerary would sure save us a lot of driving and what is better than an Oceania sailing?

I figure it would take almost 4 weeks to do this by driving. It is three days just to drive straight back from Boston. The ports are close enough together that each day can be many hours long to do excursions. No sea days, either. I agree with what better than Oceania. We did London to Rome, then Istanbul to Venice and covered the whole Med. Best experience both times.

When looking at the world map in the Oceania brochure, it is easy to see where Oceania ships do not venture to date. We have returned recently from the 35 day cruise from Hong Kong to Athens and it was without a doubt the best holiday we have ever had. We like the longer sea voyages and so with this in mind a cruise from Barcelona to Cape Town would be very appealing. We have never been to Africa and so a cruise along the West Coast would be a wonderful opportunity to see some of this diverse continent while enjoying the comfort and luxury of a cruise. The next leg of the trip could go from Cape Town to Dubai or Singapore or even onto Australia.

1. Barcelona, Spain

2. Palma de Mallorca, Spain

3. Gibraltar, UK

4. Casablanca, Morocca

5. At Sea

6. Tenerife, Canary Islands

7. At Sea

8. At Sea

9. At Sea

10. Dakar, Senegal

11. Banjul, Gambia

12. At Sea

13. At Sea

14. At Sea

15. Takoradi, Ghana

16. Lome, Togo

17. Cotonou, Benin

18. At Sea

19. At Sea

20. At Sea

21. At Sea

22. Walvis Bay, Namibia

23. Walvis Bay, Namibia

24. At Sea

25. Cape Town, South Africa

26. Cape Town, South Africa

If my estimates of the distances between ports are incorrect, then another sea day may need to be added.

Wouldn't it be great if O were to put together a world cruise on the Marina using some of the itineraries suggested here?

It could be booked as a world cruise or in segments (probably appealing to most cruisers and more practical).

Between the novelty of cruising on the Marina AND doing brand new itineraries, I bet the entire cruise would be booked in a few weeks or so, regardless of the economy.

What is your opinion?

Paulchili I think you have a great idea going. Think what a madien voyage this would be -- special memories in every port. Seeing the "history galleries" on the Queen Mary II was one of my favorite activities. The madien voyage photos and commemorations/art work were very interesting and the new ship/new itenerary would be on my short list.

Paul,

Doing a world cruise on one of Oceania's ships would be an ideal cruise for me. Even if we could just do one segment, it would still be very special. Hopefully, one day this dream will become a reality not only for myself but for Oceania as well.

Jennie

Paul,

Doing a world cruise on one of Oceania's ships would be an ideal cruise for me. Even if we could just do one segment, it would still be very special. Hopefully, one day this dream will become a reality not only for myself but for Oceania as well.

Jennie

Jennie,

I agree. It would be special on the Marina, but if that is not possible or practical, I would do it on any of O's ships.

It would be even more fun if we were on the same segment and I would get to meet you (along with other CC posters here)!

Paul

As the one who actually started this thread may I suggest that we also be allowed to discuss some of the suggested Ports and even ask why ?

For example I doubt that many Americans have visted any of the Canary Islands (just a guess) and quite frankly I can understand why.

We were in Tenerife in February and all it is, is a holiday place full of Brits, and German Tourists in very tatty resorts. Certainly there is a vast amount of shopping but not a single beach worthy of mention. The only thing that may be worth a visit is Mt Teide an inactive Volcano........but thats about it.

Much the same goes for the other two main islands. Last year we were on Az and there were two Greek Islands that were just awful and most of us were back on board in 1 hour.

I realise that we are all entitled to select locations for the " Perfect Cruise " but I think that some suggestions need tweaking to give them a better chance.

Its just my view of course.............

Brian

Hi!

We are resubmitting our cruise since it seems to have gotten lost when the thread was canceled:

Day 1 Leave from Dover, England

Day 2 St. Peter's Por

Day 3 Bristol, England

Day 4 Holy Head, Wales

Day 5 Liverpool, England

Day 6 Douglas, Isle of Man

Day 7 Sea Day

Day 8 Portree, Isle of Skye

Day 9 Kirkwall, Orkney Islands

Day 10 Aberdeen, Scotland

Day 11 Edinburgh, Scotland

Day 12 Sea Day

Day 13 Dover, England

Rhea and Michael

As the one who actually started this thread may I suggest that we also be allowed to discuss some of the suggested Ports and even ask why ?

For example I doubt that many Americans have visted any of the Canary Islands (just a guess) and quite frankly I can understand why.

Brian

That's too bad--I had an old friend who spent time there 30 years ago and it was delightful then. But sounds like it's gone the way of the Costa del Sol.

As for the Greek Islands, I'm dead sure some are truly awful. I had the luxury of travelling around Greece in 1971, and went back in 2004 with fear and trepidation. There are plenty of lovely authentic places still, albeit much more modern, that will not be visited by any cruise ship. And I would hesitate to recommend any that I knew of. The one place that I loved, and that does get the odd cruise ship is Napflion--under valued, but then, no, it's really awful, don't go there! :)

Brian

Maybe we could start another thread on why so as not to take away for the routes already posted.

That way the new cruise ideas are clear to all

some are posting duplicate cruise ideas due the the length of this thread and not wanting to re read previous posts

Lyn

This is my second entry:

1. San Francisco or L.A.

2.@sea

3.@sea

4.@sea

5.@sea

6.Honolulu

7.@sea

8.@sea

9.@sea

10. @sea

11. Tokyo

For day12 and 13, Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Then end in Hong Kong on day 14 or 15. This would be a repositioning cruise. From here you could do the Hong Kong to Bejing cruise. Thanks, Ron:)

Here is my first entry

London (Dover)

*Saint Peter Port, Guernsey Islands, UK

*Cork, Ireland

*Liverpool, UK

*Oban, Scotland, UK

*Kirkwall, Orkney Islands, UK

Inverness, Scotland, UK

Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

Sea Day

Brugge, Belgium

Le Harve, France

London (Dover)

The places with * are new. This itenerary would lend itself to be expanded (Dublin, Belfast, Brest, Lorient, Larochelle, Amsterdam, Rotterdam or some combination of these), but would then fall outside of the 50% new rule.

Simon

Tokyo

Nagoya

Kobe

Hiroshima

At Sea

Seolu

Shanghai

Tai Pai

Hong Kong

At Sea

Manila

This probably will require at least one more at sea day.

Simon

As the post with FDR's "rules" is missing, I just want to remind future posters that the new itinerary should have at least 50% or more new ports to qualify as "new".

As such, the above itinerary would not qualify, as most of these ports are already served by O.

Simon, perhaps you may wish to revise your itinerary?

Archived