Odyssey Questions, Musings, and Trip Reports

JaneBP

One could only book 48 hours in advance and as they were popular, particularly the Colonnade and the Patio Grill, it meant one had to book at 7.30 or whatever time one wanted 48 hours in advance. Also bookings had to be made at Seabourn Square.

Bookings for restaurants can also be made by calling guest services (dial 9) instead of going to the square.

As for Restaurant 2 it is my least favorite dining venue on the Odyssey. I find the decor a bit claustrophobic and over the top with red velvet banquettes and low ceilings with black cutout moldings. Also the seating is not user friendly. They either have tables for two or the banquettes which seat six. This means if you are not lucky enough to procure a table for two you may be seated with others at the larger ones. Others, of course, may differ in their opinions. As for the food, if you are a fan of these no option small plates you will be happy. If not, and I count myself among them, it will be less to your liking as that is all they serve at 2. The themed dinners (bistro nights etc.) are now served in the Colonnade. One of the main reasons I liked 2 on the triplets is the ability to dine outdoors in nice weather. On the Odyssey you do this at the Colonnade or Patio Grill. It's not a big deal and 2 is certainly worth one evening of your cruise but personally, once was enough!!!

Henry, was there much of a difference on your Odyssey sailing from one on the triplets given the size of the ship. By that I realize there were many benefits of the larger size in terms of additional entertainment and amenities that can be provided.

But what about the flip side of the coin. Was it more challenging for the waitstaff and the barstaff to learn passenger names and preferences. About the interaction with the passengers. Was this different. And maybe this was covered already but I have not read the entire thread. Were invitations extended to passengers to eat at hosted tables in the evening as they are on the triplets.

I guess what I am trying to get a feel for is did you still have that warm country club feeling with the passenger base being slightly more than double from the triplets.

We do look forward to trying this ship and I enjoyed reading the comments that you and others have provided already.

Keith

Some answers....The Restaurant and Patio Grill open at 7 P.M., Colonnade and Restaurant 2 open 7:30 P.M. We never ate at Restaurant 2, it is also our least favorite, do not care for the menus. Colonnade and Patio Grill were very popular, you must make reservations. We did miss out a couple of times. Singles were invited to hosted tables every night. Spoke to several who said how important this was to them. Couples are still invited to hosted tables, again, this is impt. to some people. I did use the laundry room. There are 2 of them, opposite each other. Maytag equipment. Top loader washing machines, so you can open them in case you forgot something. 2 washers and two dryers in each room. Very quiet, I never had to wait for a machine. The feel of the ship is similar to the sisters, the staff knows you name immediately (I don't know how they do it). But you must realize that Odyssey is a much larger ship with many venues to choose from so one will not always be going to the same places they di on the triplets. We never went to the club, preferred the Observation lounge, and we never went to Sky Bar, because there are many other options.:):):)J.A.

Where do you suggest that the CC'ers plan to meet and greet on the Odyssey? Is the SkyBar at the sail-away still the best bet? Seabourn Square? (Can one get a drink at the Square or is it just coffee and goodies?)

Jane, Sky Bar is still the place to be for the sail away. I just meant that there will be other options to spend time at according to your preferences. I do not know if they serve alcohol at S.Square. I don't drink (cheap date for seabourn), so can't answer that. Good question though. J.A.:):):)

Keith,

As you state there is an obvious difference between the triplets and the Odyssey due to size. However, in my experience on the maiden voyage there was no less interaction between staff and passengers than on the triplets. Everyone knew our names almost instantly. The same relationship so unique to Seabourn (one of one of unquestionable dedication and performance mixed with friendliness and endless banter) was there, and to be honest, I was greatly relieved. As for interaction among the passengers it is admittedly harder to get to know 450 people than 200 but by the end of the cruise I think I can honestly say I met everyone I wanted to meet. Somehow Seabourn manages to maintain the "warm country club feeling" you describe.

I cannot overemphasize the importance that Seabourn Square plays in this equation. It is truly unique because it brings passengers to one venue to execute a variety of functions thereby causing them to meet and mingle (not to mention indulge in lattes, pastries and gelati.) If I had to choose one favorite public space this would be it.

As has been posted dinner invitations are still extended (coveted by some, less so by others.) No one need fear dining alone. I think SB has gone out of its way to keep the institutions we all love while expanding their horizons with new and innovative offerings.

Keith, I think you, being both a SB and Crystal fan, will really enjoy the Odyssey because it blends a lot of what both lines are famous for ---- great food and service, more options for entertainment and more space. Plus as I said before the design of the ship alone will take your breath away.

Can't tell you about the pools or the jacuzzis but there are two launderettes with two washing machines and dryers and two ironing boards and irons in each. Didn't use the machines but they looked pretty much the same as the ones on the sisters but the ironing boards and irons are much better positioned which makes ironing a lot easier and there is much more room in the laundry rooms in general.

In Cruise ship lingo thats an improvement in the ironing board to passenger ratio from 1:208 to 1:112 - very impressive;)

Henry, thank so very much for sharing your thoughts on the Odyssey. I am glad to hear about the interactions between passengers and between passengers and the crew and that the size ship worked out very well. Given that this was a maiden voyage it is great to read all of the positive comments about the ship and the voyage.

Keith

Jane BP,

Yes, there is a marina on the Odyssey. We were supposed to have a marina day in Mylos but the captain apparently was not satisfied that the marina was not yet 100% perfect so it was cancelled.

Keith,

I think that given this was a maiden voyage SB did a spectacular job. There is still some work to do but minor things most people wouldn't even notice.

Not sure why I have all the questions, but I hate waiting until December. I am wondering if the crew have different uniforms than the Triplets. I was thinking about that looking at some of G-A's photos of a Deck BBQ. I think that at breakfast and lunch in the Veranda, they should be able to wear shorts when it's hot. Bet the Collonade is too posh for that.

Thanks for all the answers.

Coming soon.

ahttp://us.mc802.mail.yahoo.com/mc/welcome?.partner=sbc&.gx=0&.rand=36i2p197uipkd#_pg=showMessage;_ylc=X3oDMTBubmxpZHRvBF9TAzM5ODMwMzAyNwRhYwNkZWxNc2dz&mid=1_87603_AG%2FJjkQAAVpASl24agDiVHW9tNc&fid=Inbox&sort=date&order=down&startMid=0&filterBy=&hash=f0462d02ee6d20b14c95715861625609&.jsrand=1500187

Might be easier to check the Luxury Cruise Bible website.

Coming soon.

ahttp://us.mc802.mail.yahoo.com/mc/welcome?.partner=sbc&.gx=0&.rand=36i2p197uipkd#_pg=showMessage;_ylc=X3oDMTBubmxpZHRvBF9TAzM5ODMwMzAyNwRhYwNkZWxNc2dz&mid=1_87603_AG%2FJjkQAAVpASl24agDiVHW9tNc&fid=Inbox&sort=date&order=down&startMid=0&filterBy=&hash=f0462d02ee6d20b14c95715861625609&.jsrand=1500187

Might be easier to check the Luxury Cruise Bible website.

I'm sure that I have seen this writing on a tour in Egypt.:p

It's been asked but I'll ask again, are the outside pools heated?

I notice above that 'J.A.' stated the "Patio Grill was done by reservations", I thought that this was just a burger and hot dog venue - am I wrong?

Also, last question, what is the Odyssey house champagne?

THANKS!

Don't know if the outside pools are heated. Never stuck a toe in one.

The Patio Grill is by reservation for dinner only and it is one place you don't want to miss. Tables are set with linen, crystal and silver. You select your first course from the buffet, and/or you can have pizzas right out of the oven. Then your main course is a choice of delectable meats and fish including huge Niger shrimp which resemble lobster tails. All this plus you are outdoors watching the sea and sunset.

House champagne was Nicolas Feuillate.

I am originally from NY City and if Athens wants to clean up it could learn from there! What a blight on the Greek tourism industry...

Oh this is interesting as I have not always had a good experience of NYC cab drivers as so many of them do not speak English and have on more than one occasion taken me the longest route. Maybe I was unlucky. I haven't heard of problems like this in Greece previously but good to warn people. Thanks.

Archived