Odyssey Questions, Musings, and Trip Reports

JaneBP

I just had dinner with someone who was on the inaugural cruise and she was talking about how Pam Conover was out there working her------off. Just what is dhream's point, and how many cruises has he done with Seabourn?

I just had dinner with someone who was on the inaugural cruise and she was talking about how Pam Conover was out there working her------off. Just what is dhream's point, and how many cruises has he done with Seabourn?

dhream has obviously never been on board and observed Pamela working.

If he had he would know better.

All I can say I have been on board twice whilest Pamela was on board with her husband (once during Christmas) and I have never seen a person so dedicated to her job, guests and staff. Whilest on board I cannot recal a moment when she took time for herself. She was always seeking opinions from and talking with guests and everybody else on board.

Nothing seems too much for her and she always keeps smiling eventhough at times she must meet people like (well you know who;)).

I think she is fantastic and very close to all who work and sail with Seabourn.

I think his comments are rude and uncalled for:mad:

I sincerely hope he will withdraw his comments.

Like you, I am all for opinions when they relate to something tangible and have some grounding. They might as well also show some tact.

In this case, however, and given the lack of response to pointed questions posed in the past couple of days, I would conclude that we have a gratuitous and tiresome attention seeker roaming about the blog.

I rest my case.

David, as I recall the duo (who were excellent) performed mostly in the Club though they were part of the rock show on deck. What I liked most about them is that they didn't use that electronic back up music which drowns out conversations.

We just finished our 10th great cruise on Seabourn, this last two weeks on the Odyssey. The truth is though that the experience for those on the Odyssey these last two weeks was very different than folks are used to on the triplets.

Depending on who you are and what you like this is good or bad or mixed (my straw poll among experenced Seabourners on these past weeks surprizingly actually leans toward their doing the next bookings on the triplets). We personally favor the new ship -- once it is done and things are working smoothly. I assure you the ship is neither done nor working as smoothly as we you would normally expect. And as of August 16th, do not assume your triplets yardstick applies.

The ship is visually beautiful, the design emphasis is on the visual but not always the functional. The engines are not yet balanced and the result is soot so thick and deep the outdoor portion of the spa had to be closed for three days. Leaky pipes closed the spa pool for four days and a rivulet of water flowed through the Colonade dining area two days. Lots of fixing, caulking and calibrating going on -- lots of Minetti engineers working.

Also lots of children of all ages. 8 months and up. I mean lots (37). On stools in the evening at the club bar. In strollers. Everywhere. In one case a crew member did cabin infant babysittting while the parents went on a shore event. Ask those in the adjoining cabins how you think that went. (!)

The ship was clearly understaffed -- a dangerous move for this brand to cut a corner here (there a limit to how much staff can do when spread so thin, comparatively speaking), and much of the staff was really undertrained (for many it was their first time on a cruise ship). I did not talk with a single person (prior Seabourners) who did not feel staffing was an issue. The question is will the big boat staffing plan match the triplets or or will the triplets match the Odyssey in the future, given these tough economic times where 70% discounts are requred to fill a ship, and 18 ships in the corporate construction queue are sucking capital faster than a nuclear bilge pump. This is a lot bigger passenger issue than the reduced quality caviar (by the way, if we're down to dyed American fish eggs maybe its better to just pass on this).

Mickey Aronson and his wife joined for the last 4 days. I do not think most passengers knew who he was and the Captain did not acknowledge him at the past cruiser party, etc. I was personally glad it was the last four days because things got better a little bit every day, and I hope by the time of your cruise, whenever that may be, things are humming nicely.

Themed4me,

I was on the maiden voyage and interestingly, very few of the problems you describe were evident with the exception of the soot which caused them to remove the cushions from the sofas and chairs on the deck outside Seabourn Square on deck 7. However, of all the problems you cite the one that bothers me the most is 37 children. Obviously, this is summer and Odyssey is doing a lot of 7 day cruises to attract a younger demographic. Along with younger passengers, unfortunately, come children on school vacation. Perhaps because the ship is bigger with more for kids to do parents feel more inclined to bring the rug rats along. If this continues however, I will feel less inclined to sail Odyssey in the summer.

Themed4me is confirming what I have heard from another couple who have just come back from this cruise. They were very upset to say the least about the understaffing and lack of skills concerning the staff. Staffing was such a big issue for them and they almost left the ship because of this.

Every comment you made, was mentioned by them as well.

They also mentioned that it was a problem to book into the restaurants apart from the main restaurant and they were only able to book 48 hours in advance during a small time slot. OOPS

We are sailing on her in 2 month time. I hope they will have improved the various issues you mentioned

Themed4me,

I was on the maiden voyage and interestingly, very few of the problems you describe were evident with the exception of the soot which caused them to remove the cushions from the sofas and chairs on the deck outside Seabourn Square on deck 7. However, of all the problems you cite the one that bothers me the most is 37 children. Obviously, this is summer and Odyssey is doing a lot of 7 day cruises to attract a younger demographic. Along with younger passengers, unfortunately, come children on school vacation. Perhaps because the ship is bigger with more for kids to do parents feel more inclined to bring the rug rats along. If this continues however, I will feel less inclined to sail Odyssey in the summer.

Hi Henry

An acqaintance of mine, with whom I have travelled on Seabourn previously, got off the Odyssey a few weeks ago. His comments were -

Many children on board jumping and shrieking in pool.

His wife could not arrange bridge games as card room had been set up with electronic games for kids.

People going for tea in the lounge in wet swimming attire.

Some passengers dress in the evening was torn jeans (fashionable ?), T shirts and flip flops.

He enjoyed his cruise but felt the new mix of passengers the Odyssey was attracting would make him return to the smaller ships.

We are on the Spirit for 3 weeks from Aug 29 and as has been said before we can only hope it has maintained the old standards.

David

Just read themed4me and other reports, and thought at first it was a joke! How sad. I suppose it is difficult for Seabourn to refuse or restrict numbers of children? However, they certainly should not be allowed into the Club bar.

Has anybody read the similar reports on Regent Mariner in Alaska? It looks like those of us who do not want to travel with children will have to restrict our cruising to the school term times.

Tulip 1, the issue with the dinner reservations is related to the staffing problem. There is physical capacity, just not server capacity.

You have to make dinner reserations in advance of getting the day's itinerary or seeing the menus for any of the alternative restaurants -- or risk having to eat in the main restaurant. Seats in all three of the alternative restaurants were hotly contested as the main restauant was not appealing to many guests, for a number of reasons, including the claustrophobic layout.

The kitchen is doing a wonderful job with food quality, the breakdown is with the servers and the remedial actions of moving them around where they feel they are needed most across venues (continuity then breaks down). Have you ever waited an hour and a half for the main course after the second because you were "forgotten" on the triplets? Has your hot food repeatedly ever arrived cold? I had not experienced any of this before, but the wheels definitely came off the bus more than once in the Colonade and the main restaurant. The Patio Grill and Restaurant 2 seemed more under control.

Good luck with reservations. You cannot make them until after 7:30 pm. People interrupt their early dinner seating or whatever else they are doing to stand in line to compete for these precious reservations at Seabourn Square (which, by the way, we found to be is a comprehensive source of misinformation on just about any topic). Examples from different days: Q: How much should we expect the regular taxi to be (secured on our own) from the dock to the city center. A: At least $70, best case. The acutal answer: $8. Q: Where is our luggage that we sent from home using the service (it is not in our room)? A: We'll look into it after we are underway tonight (!) Q: Is this your first time working for Seabourn in this important information role? A: It is my first cruise.

I am not kidding. Definitely not very Seabourn. I do not mean to be negative, there are many great things about the ship and the cruise, but also many areas that need to be worked to avoid serious erosion of the brand.

Half the passengers felt kike they were on the wrong boat and wished they were on Carnival or Disney, and the other half felt they were on the wrong boat because that half were there. It does not make for a very sympatico feeling aboard.

PS I actually like kids, just not en masse, nor older ones smoking hookah water pipes in the sky bar. Thank goodness the evening entertainment in the grand salon was a magican -- the kids loved him. Again, I am not kidding.

Bob

I am so sorry your voyage was not Seabourn ~~I love children too, just not on ships. I have feared this happening ~~I have read Sea Dream was overrun with small children during holidays ~~finally guests starting calling Corp. Headqts. to inquire as to the number of children aboard before they would book.

Hopefully the Staff/waiters problem will be worked out ~~and soon!

Martita B.

I personally am shocked by this latest Odyssey report. I am amazed that the matre'd would allow jeans and flip flops in the restaurant, and children would be allowed to occupy the Club bar stools. This is NOT Seabourn as I know it. Hopefully comment cards were filled out. We just made final payment for our 14 day cruise in a few months. I hope we don't regret not booking the Legend crossing instead.

Host Dan

I personally am shocked by this latest Odyssey report. I am amazed that the matre'd would allow jeans and flip flops in the restaurant, and children would be allowed to occupy the Club bar stools. This is NOT Seabourn as I know it. Hopefully comment cards were filled out. We just made final payment for our 14 day cruise in a few months. I hope we don't regret not booking the Legend crossing instead.

Host Dan

I too am shocked by the report. Dan, with your contacts, can you find out from onboard what is happening and how soon the staffing and quality control issues can be sorted. Obviously nothing can be done about about the number of children onboard in school holidays!

I too am shocked by the report. Dan, with your contacts, can you find out from onboard what is happening and how soon the staffing and quality control issues can be sorted. Obviously nothing can be done about about the number of children onboard in school holidays!

I'll see what I can do and report back. Does anyone know who the Captain is onboard right now?

Host Dan

Dan

Wouldn't the Odyssey Captain be Buer and the Hotel Manager, Gunther?

I am very disappointed in hearing the lack of the dress code in the dining room! My understanding is the Maitre'D CAN control the dress in the restaurant. A real shame......

MB

Some passengers dress in the evening was torn jeans (fashionable ?), T shirts and flip flops.

This does not say they were seated in the restaurant...and let's hope they weren't! :eek:

Paul ;)

who,yes, understands dress codes "for the evening", too... :)

Just read themed4me and other reports, and thought at first it was a joke! How sad. I suppose it is difficult for Seabourn to refuse or restrict numbers of children? However, they certainly should not be allowed into the Club bar.

Has anybody read the similar reports on Regent Mariner in Alaska? It looks like those of us who do not want to travel with children will have to restrict our cruising to the school term times.

These reports are very disturbing. I was about to make a reservation for a cruise next summer on Odyssey, running away from the kids situation on Regent. Now I don't know what to do. Unfortunately, at this time we can only travel in the summer.

This does not say they were seated in the restaurant...and let's hope they weren't! :eek:

Paul ;)

who,yes, understands dress codes "for the evening", too... :)

Correct. The comment was about the dress of certain people in he evening and not which restaurant they were in.

Archived