Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

Northbound,

Can you tell me where the Eurodam will dock in Stockholm on July 26. Sorry I can't open you link to the Port of Stockholm. Thanks

Robert

Lucky you, you're docked at 167 Stadsgarden (the pier closest to Gamla Stan). We're stuck way out at Frihamnen in August...drats!

Have a great trip.

Tami

I will be in Stockholm June 13th , from 10am to 5pm. I want to go to the Absolute Bar at the Nordic Hotel. Should I get the HOHO Bus, and does it come to the pier for the cruiseships, and does it go near the hotel, or is it within walking distance from the ship. Thank you

We are traveling on Disney magic and a party of 3 adults and 4 children under 8....I have watched the John lawrence DVD as well as Rick Steves book.....and I have to say it wasn't as through as some of the other cities I covered....

We are thinking of doing HO HO Bus with kids and Stockholm Pass for admission.....it sounds like 1 of my kids will only be charged because 3 are under 6 which is nice.....

I am trying to figure out what order to see things in....if we use the HO HO it may not always be direct route.....but figured if we got stuck we could ask and get on public transport....

Is there 1 ho ho company....if so which one do I use?

Help!

We are traveling on Disney magic and a party of 3 adults and 4 children under 8....I have watched the John lawrence DVD as well as Rick Steves book.....and I have to say it wasn't as through as some of the other cities I covered.... We are thinking of doing HO HO Bus with kids and Stockholm Pass for admission.....it sounds like 1 of my kids will only be charged because 3 are under 6 which is nice..... I am trying to figure out what order to see things in....if we use the HO HO it may not always be direct route.....but figured if we got stuck we could ask and get on public transport.... Is there 1 ho ho company....if so which one do I use Help!

I don't know your kids, but I think they might enjoy the "Changing of the Guard" at the Royal Palace with the large band, troops, etc. Lots of music, color and interest. Below are a couple of visual samples for what goes on. Maybe they would like a boat ride around the main island there? If the weather is nice, eating outside in the main historic old city can be fun.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard involves this large band with their unique helmets:

9-StockholmMil.jpg

The soldiers are marching during the changing of the guard:

1A-StHolm-Guards.jpg

There are many outside dining options in Gamla Stan or “old town” area.

StockhDineOutside.jpg

Ships and buildings seen on water tour around Stockholm's islands:

1A-StH-WatersideBldgShip.jpg

I actually have a pretty good idea of what to see.....just not sure what to see first?

Tell us more details on when your ship arrives, which dock and what your major places/priorities are for this Stockholm visit. Some options, like the Changing of the Guard, are at a fixed time. Others are flexible. Also, with the size of your party, you might be able to get everyone in a larger cab. Sometimes the HOHO bus will get fairly full and/or involve longer waits. Your time in Stockholm is limited and there are so many great options that the time-efficency of a cab for your party size might be worth considering. How flexible is your budget?

Disney Magic....3 adults...4 kids 8, 5, 5 and 2 1/2.......

Disney tells me they are docking in Frihamnen.....

Highlights to hit....

1) vasa Museum

2)City hall - Blue and Gold room (heard you have to be guided....may not work for us with young kids

3) Royal Palace ----probably to look at Crown jewels

4) gamla Stan (walk around

5) Pippi Longsticking author museum (thought it might be a nice break for kids)

I know Ho ho bus stops at all these.....and the idea was to entertain the kids with out bothering other people.....(they like the dd buses and like ear plug commentary- we did this in Barcelona)

We are thinking Stockholm pass for admissions and then Bus for getting around and entertainment for kids....

The shore excursions would be great but they chharge for kids where most of the attractions and transport on own do not.....huge cost difference.

Disney Magic....3 adults...4 kids 8, 5, 5 and 2 1/2.......Disney tells me they are docking in Frihamnen.....

Highlights to hit....

1) vasa Museum

2)City hall - Blue and Gold room (heard you have to be guided....may not work for us with young kids

3) Royal Palace ----probably to look at Crown jewels

4) gamla Stan (walk around

5) Pippi Longsticking author museum (thought it might be a nice break for kids)

I know Ho ho bus stops at all these.....and the idea was to entertain the kids with out bothering other people.....(they like the dd buses and like ear plug commentary- we did this in Barcelona)

We are thinking Stockholm pass for admissions and then Bus for getting around and entertainment for kids....

The shore excursions would be great but they chharge for kids where most of the attractions and transport on own do not.....huge cost difference.

From what you mentioned as priorities, the Pippi Longstocking/Junibacken lies on Djurgården in Stockholm, just behind Nordiska Museet in Galärparken, next door to the Vasa Museum. The Royal Palace and Gamla Stan are right next door to each other and those two "stars" are not that far across a bridge from the City Hall.

I would give consideration to a larger cab, going from the ship to Vasa/Junibacken, then cab to Palace/historic old city. That option might work out a little better for cost/time efficiency, etc. It can all work out. My experience was that some of the key attractions in Stockholm are fairly close together, making some of your logistics easier than it would be in some other large cities.

We will be arriving into Stockhom on June 1 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. There are four of us traveling together. We would like to particularly see the Vasa Museum, the city hall and Gamla Stan (old town?) - possibly the palace, maybe the changing of the guard depending on time. What is the best way within that time frame to see the highlights and get a feel for Stockholm - such as best order to do it in, means of transportation (cabs, bus, etc) and would it be more economical to buy a Stockholm pass (where would we get it) or just pay individually?

thank you for your help.

We are due to dock at Stadsgården 165/167 on Sunday 6th June.

It seems that part of the dock (the most easterly end from the map I consulted) has no passenger terminal facilities (I may be wrong) so my intention was to walk along the quay to the Viking Lines terminal where I hope to be able to buy a one day Stockholm Bus/rail/metro ticket, then take the bus one stop from there to Slussen and transfer to the Train or another bus to Gamla Stan and then onwards as needed for the day.

So my questions :

1 Is it possible to purchase the city public transport ticket at the Viking Terminal?

2 It's Swedens National Day. Does the public transport still run? Are the Museums Open? Would they still have the Changing of the Guard? (I read that their Majesties attend a big celebration in the evening after we have left so wondered if that might impact on normal ceremonials).

Hoping you can help!

to those who asked about an order in how to see things. You definitely should try to get to Vasa as early as possible. it does tend to get very crowded as the day moves on. Wahtever time it opens, you should try and be there then. From there you can head out towards the rest of the city. They Changing of the Guard usually takes place about noon, but from Vasa to Gamla Stan should take abouty 15-20 minutes.

Cheers

Len

Hi we are travelling on the Regatta 2 September 2010, we need accommodation in Stcockholm 31 August and 1 September, there appears to be a large conference in Stockholm around this period and all the large hotels seem to be booked out. Do you know of any accommodation that may be availbale for those 2 nights?

many thanks Tim

We are due to dock at Stadsgården 165/167 on Sunday 6th June.

It seems that part of the dock (the most easterly end from the map I consulted) has no passenger terminal facilities (I may be wrong) so my intention was to walk along the quay to the Viking Lines terminal where I hope to be able to buy a one day Stockholm Bus/rail/metro ticket, then take the bus one stop from there to Slussen and transfer to the Train or another bus to Gamla Stan and then onwards as needed for the day.

So my questions :

1 Is it possible to purchase the city public transport ticket at the Viking Terminal?

2 It's Swedens National Day. Does the public transport still run? Are the Museums Open? Would they still have the Changing of the Guard? (I read that their Majesties attend a big celebration in the evening after we have left so wondered if that might impact on normal ceremonials).

Hoping you can help!

Since 911 the general public can no longer get near the ships so I can't confirm this 100%, but, there is a small kiosk inside the security area at 167 and I believe they sell the 24 hour travel cards (can anyone confirm this for the group?).

Public transport will be running on the holiday/weekend schedule. Museums should be open, and since it is National Day I would think the changing of the guard would pull out all the stops (cavalry,band,pointy hats etc). :)

Enjoy,

Al

acjb,

I see that there will be a Royal Wedding in June and the Royal Palace will be closed. Do you know if the Changing of the Guards will take place daily as scheduled, or suspended until the wedding is over?

When is the wedding date? Our ship is in Stockholm on June 13, and I am wondering if it is before or after the wedding. I am hoping the wedding will be over and the Royal Palace will be open for tours.

Thank you for your response.

The more I read, the more confused I am getting. I think I have worked some of this out but would like some clarification or advice. Thank you to all who are helping us tourist figure out how to get the most out of this beautiful city.

We will be arriving for the day in early August on the Star Princess. After some back and forth, it has been determined that the ship will be docking in Stadsgarten. From what I have read, we should be able to pick up a 24h Transport Card from an information booth at the dock.

Now the question is how do we get 18 people to the Vasa Museum and then back to Gamla Stan and then back to Stadsgarten. I think we start with a bus to Slussen and then maybe a ferry to the Vasa but can't figure out the exact buses or routes. I found info about how, from the Vasa Museum, to "walk to outside the amusementpark "Gröna Lund" and then take the ferry to Slussen in Gamla Stan. It costs 40 Swedish crowns (about 4 euro) and takes 10 minutes and runs every 15 or 20 minutes." Is this also the way we get to the Vasa from Slussen?

With that many people, I would like to avoid cabs and use public transportation. The HOHO boat would have been nice, but as it has been mentioned many times on this board, the boat goes the wrong way to make this itinerary timely and feasible.

I am hoping to be at the Vasa early enough to be able to see the changing of the guards at the Palace as well. What else must we see in Gamla Stan? Any suggestions as to where we should have lunch? I was interested in the Skansen Museum but think we may not be able to do justice to Gamla Stan if we try and squeeze that in as well. The Skansen is near the Vasa Museum, right?

Thanks in advance for the help.

acjb,

I see that there will be a Royal Wedding in June and the Royal Palace will be closed. Do you know if the Changing of the Guards will take place daily as scheduled, or suspended until the wedding is over?

When is the wedding date? Our ship is in Stockholm on June 13, and I am wondering if it is before or after the wedding. I am hoping the wedding will be over and the Royal Palace will be open for tours.

Wedding at 19 June. No changing of guard between 17-20 June.

Palace closed for tours 7-30 June.

http://www.royalcourt.se/royalcourt/royalpalaces/theroyalpalace/thepalace/visitus/openinghours.4.396160511584257f2180001182.html

http://www.forsvarsmakten.se/upload/dokumentfiler/Hogvakten/H%c3%b6gvaktsavl%c3%b6sning%20med%20musik%20w%2017-34.pdf

What else must we see in Gamla Stan? Any suggestions as to where we should have lunch? I was interested in the Skansen Museum but think we may not be able to do justice to Gamla Stan if we try and squeeze that in as well. The Skansen is near the Vasa Museum, right?

Apart from the Place the main sights at Gamla Stan are Storkyrkan, Stortorget, Västerlånggatan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storkyrkan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stortorget

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%A4sterl%C3%A5nggatan

Taking the shortest way (turning right when exiting Vasa and following the small boat harbour to Alkärret road and then up to Djurgårdsvägen road) it is half a mile between Vasa museum doors and Skansen main gate.

Edited by Ultima Thule

Thank you, Ultima Thule, for your quick reply. While I am disappointed that I will not be able to see a few of the "must-see" sights in your city, I know I will have many other beautiful and historical places to admire. Besides, this will give me a reason to return to Stockholm!

Wish the sun shines on the wedding day and brightens the royal couple's lives.

From what I have read, we should be able to pick up a 24h Transport Card from an information booth at the dock.

Now the question is how do we get 18 people to the Vasa Museum and then back to Gamla Stan and then back to Stadsgarten.

Just curious ... do you plan to purchase 18 travel cards? I suppose so because each person needs to have one of their own. I just hope the info booth at 167 is well stocked.

If you walk past the Viking terminal and veer to the left towards the busy road you will see a bus stop called "Londonviadukten". If you stay to the front, in other words don't walk back to the little shelter with the benches and stand near the red and white bus stop sign you can take any bus to Slussen. The buses to Slussen are usually the red, extra long buses. Remember, each passenger will need to have a ticket.

Good luck

Al

In general, if you want to see the main sites is it better to use the HOHO bus or HOHO boat? Also when you talk about the ferries is that the same as the HOHO boats?

We'll be docking at Stadsgarden 167 on July 26.

DateDaySights/Activity

8/12/2010

Thursday

The Ice HotelNeed to make reservation

Gamla Stan

Kungliga Slottet (Royal Palace)

8/13/2010

Friday

Mathias Dahlgren Restaurant @ 7:30PM

VasaMuseet @ 11:30AM for English Tour

8/14/2010

SaturdayDrottingham Palace

Above is a planned itinerary for our upcoming trip to Stockholm...is this enough time or not enough.

Would like to consider archipelago cruise, Milesgarden, Skansen or Rosendal...to much???

Don't know the time we should allocate per sight so anything you can recommend would be greatly appreciated!