Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

Wow, that's the first time I have seen anyone request this. Bus 55 goes by there (bus 55 toward Hjorthagen) or the long blue bus #4 (towards Radiohuset). I don't know exactly what stop to get off, but it is the large dark red brick stadium that passes by your window, you can't miss it unless you are asleep.

Have fun,

Al

Thanks, Al! We have this obsession about olympic stadiums-- we try to see one if it is there in every city we visit. Are you subtly telling me that I should not go out of my way for this one? --Barbara

Thanks, Al! We have this obsession about olympic stadiums-- we try to see one if it is there in every city we visit. Are you subtly telling me that I should not go out of my way for this one? --Barbara

Well, it's not really a long bus ride. Bus 55 runs all along the waterfront of the Old Town, so you could easily get on, see the stadium, then get on a 55 returning.

The stadium itself, as you can see from Ultima's photos is interesting, but way small by today's standards. If you are interested in Olympic history, then I think this one is worth it. The smaller scale and style is what I find interesting. keep in mind, I highly doubt you will be able to get inside so it will just be an exterior photo op.

Al

We find that our ship will dock or tender at this port which is a bit disappointing as had planned our day in Stockholm and think it is a bit of a way off and appears no easy way tom get there.

Anyone actually berthed here and can give us some idea of what we could do for the day we are in port (NCL Sun in June) please.

Okay, favorite CD stores in Stockholm? My husband and I are big music fans and we're trying to get an idea of CD stores at each stop on our cruise so that we can pick and stop at a couple, total.

(I posted on a music forum we both read and it turns out that one of our longtime friends moved to Helsinki, so that was certainly helpful there... and another poster lived in Gothenburg, but no one from Stockholm! :eek:)

Okay, favorite CD stores in Stockholm? My husband and I are big music fans and we're trying to get an idea of CD stores at each stop on our cruise so that we can pick and stop at a couple, total.

(I posted on a music forum we both read and it turns out that one of our longtime friends moved to Helsinki, so that was certainly helpful there... and another poster lived in Gothenburg, but no one from Stockholm! :eek:)

My favorite store for recorded material in Stockholm is : http://www.petsounds.se/

Great selection, some unusual stuff too. It is on Södermalm, not really in the tourist areas though.

Al

I just found this thread and was hoping someone could tell me about the HOHO boats that supposedly will pick passengers up right behind the cruise ships and take them to the Vasa. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, how to go about getting tickets for the HOHO boat? Can we just pay when we board? And where else do the boats take you other than the Vasa?

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but the thread is really long and I didn't see this specifically answered.

We find that our ship will dock or tender at this port which is a bit disappointing as had planned our day in Stockholm and think it is a bit of a way off and appears no easy way tom get there. Anyone actually berthed here and can give us some idea of what we could do for the day we are in port (NCL Sun in June) please.

If your ship is docked at Nynashamn, that is a bit of a "pain" to reach Stockholm and it is a decent distance away. You should do a search on this Baltics board for "Nynashamn". That connection to Stockholm can be done, but it is just that you waste 2.5-3 hours doing all of the logistics. Some cruise lines are a little "dishonest" in labeling Nynashamn as Stockholm. Check those many, many earlier posts on that port and what works to Stockholm.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

We also have the misfortune of docking at this port on our upcoming Baltic cruise. We're looking into taking the train into Stockholm, rather than paying NCL $50pp for a transfer which offers only a short stay in Stockholm. Can anyone give us some further insight on taking the train in, and also how far away it is from the train station in Stockholm to catching a HoHo boat.

Thanks for your help!

We will be in Stockholm on Sunday 13 June docking at Stadsgardshamnen. Does public transportation operate on Sundays? Do they run on a different schedule because it is Sunday? We are planning to use the HoHo boats and probably the HoHo buses and regular buses to get around. Is there a link to schedules that you could point me to?

Thanks in advance.

<<<Karen>>>

We will be arriving in Stockholm on Monday June 21 and berthing at Frihamen. Our plan was to do the HoHo bus and picking it up at the port.

According to the website, the bus does not start until 10 am:confused: , but the bus does show a special morning and afternoon route. Does this mean that they will be there earlier than 10 am? Our ship arrives at 730 and that is alot of time to waste. We really do not want to take a taxi into town.

Thank you for your assistance!

Debbie

We will be arriving in Stockholm on Monday June 21 and berthing at Frihamen. Our plan was to do the HoHo bus and picking it up at the port.

According to the website, the bus does not start until 10 am:confused: , but the bus does show a special morning and afternoon route. Does this mean that they will be there earlier than 10 am? Our ship arrives at 730 and that is alot of time to waste. We really do not want to take a taxi into town.

Thank you for your assistance!

Debbie

I'm trying to find out the same information for our cruise in August. Does the HOHO bus actually pick up all the way out at Frihamen? Do you have the website so I can pull it up?

Another poster told me that HAL offered a shuttle to downtown for $5 each way 4 years ago when he cruised there. But they were docked at Stadsgardshamen, so that might make a difference.

Oh, thank you so much. That looks great! The schedule right now is through April...based on my previous experiences with cruises and their various ports, I'd bet my kids' college fund that they will have a HOHO bus waiting when our ships dock (certainly not at 10:00am). They'd be stupid not to.

I sure appreciate the info. Based on this, I'm thinking our original plan to get off the ship and do our own HOHO thing is the way to go!

Tami

We will be in Stockholm on Sunday 13 June docking at Stadsgardshamnen. Does public transportation operate on Sundays? Do they run on a different schedule because it is Sunday? We are planning to use the HoHo boats and probably the HoHo buses and regular buses to get around. Is there a link to schedules that you could point me to?

Thanks in advance.

<<<Karen>>>

Hi,

Yes the public transport system does operate on Sunday, the schedule is a little different but not much. I have added a link to the SL web site in English. The time tables are online but not available from the English pages. If you are docking at Stadsgården the nearest bus stop in "Londonviaducten".

http://sl.se/Templates/SubStart.aspx?id=1906

Al

To travel from Frihamnen port to Gama Stan is it only 1 zone of travel?? Can you purchase bus tickets outside the port at a news stand or do you have to use the machine in the port? i am wanting to buy a 16 strip, can you purchase this from the bus driver? Also, generally how often does bus #76 run? We are arriving Tues Sept 2nd so not sure as the online search does not look ahead in time. thanks so much.

To travel from Frihamnen port to Gama Stan is it only 1 zone of travel?? Can you purchase bus tickets outside the port at a news stand or do you have to use the machine in the port? i am wanting to buy a 16 strip, can you purchase this from the bus driver? Also, generally how often does bus #76 run? We are arriving Tues Sept 2nd so not sure as the online search does not look ahead in time. thanks so much.

1 zone Frihamnen to downtown. The driver will stamp 2 spots for each person traveling on the travel strip.

I have not been to the Frihamnen terminal in a long time but I heard that there is a place to buy the SL travel cards inside.

No, you cannot purchase anything from the bus drivers, they carry no cash at all.

I just checked the weekday schedule for bus #76 - as of now it is leaving Frihamnen ever 8 to 10 minutes and gets to the Vasa museum area in about 6 minutes. (just a reminder, bus #76 does not run on Sunday).

Keep in mind, the bus schedules will change a bit for the tourist season in the spring, but it won't vary much.

Al

Thank you for your bus transport advice. One more question. Is the changing of the guard a must see? Can we walk along the waterfront from Vasa Museum to the Palace and how long would it take? A nice scenic walk? We will try to fit both in if it is worth it. Thanks.

Thank you for your bus transport advice. One more question. Is the changing of the guard a must see? Can we walk along the waterfront from Vasa Museum to the Palace and how long would it take? A nice scenic walk? We will try to fit both in if it is worth it. Thanks.

It is possibel to walk from the Vasa Museum to the Palace and it is a nice walk. But it is also a long walk, may be an hour, depending on how fast you walk. I would not recommend to spend that much time just walking. A nice way to go from Djurgården, where the museum is, to Gamla Stan may be the ferry. Or just walk across Djurgården bridge and take bus 76 to the Palace (if it is not a Sunday).

We also have the misfortune of docking at this port on our upcoming Baltic cruise. We're looking into taking the train into Stockholm, rather than paying NCL $50pp for a transfer which offers only a short stay in Stockholm. Can anyone give us some further insight on taking the train in, and also how far away it is from the train station in Stockholm to catching a HoHo boat.

Thanks for your help!

Hello.

The trainjourney takes about 1 hour from Nynäshamn to Stockholm.

You can buy a One day card for 100 Swedish Crowns (About 10 Euro) and that card is also valid at the Underground and buses in Stockholm.

Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone's questions!!

We will be arriving from the US at the main airport and will be staying downtown at the Hotel Riddargatan. What would be the cost (in US dollars) for both my husband and I for the cab ride to downtown and do you know anything about this hotel? I understand that there will be a medical convention in town and it was very very difficult to find a room for Aug. 27th!!