Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

Hi

We're arriving early into stockholm on the day of embarktion. We were wondering if there is anywhere to store luggage in the city center rather than having to go back and forth to the dock?

Thanks

Edited by tryan70

We will be docking in Nynashamn and attempting to get to a HOHO ferry once we get to Stockholm, or perhaps just wandering around Gamla Stan. Is Gamla Stan walking distance from Stockholm C or can we take the train directly into Gamla Stan? If we decided to do a HOHO ferry tour, which train stop would we need to use? Thank you for any advice!

My condolences for having to tender in Nynashamn.

Gamla Stan is walking distance from the Central Station. The commuter trains do not stop at Gamla Stan.

I will offer an alternative to getting off at the Central Station, which is quite busy and can be confusing due to the number of exits/entrances.

Coming from Nynashamn there are only two stops for those wanting to visit Stockholm, they are Stockholm Södra and Stockholm C. If you want to make things a bit simpler, I suggest getting off at Stockholm Södra.

When you get off the train at Södra look to the center of the platfrom and follow the sign to "Swedenborgsgatan". Take the escalator up and continue through the little mini-mall until you exit the station. Cross the street and to your left you will see a bus stop. You can take bus 55 or bus 43 right to the Djurgården ferry, the HOHO boats also stop there, as do the HOHO buses. You are also right across the street from the Old Town. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the bus stop in front of the ferry (perhaps North-Bound knows), but it is the stop right after Slussen.

Using this alternative, you not only beat the crowds and confusion of the central station but you get to see a tiny slice of Södermalm. It's the island that I live on and not on the usual tourist maps.

Good luck and have a great time in Stockholm.

Al

Gamla Stan is walking distance from the Central Station. The commuter trains do not stop at Gamla Stan.

I will offer an alternative to getting off at the Central Station, which is quite busy and can be confusing due to the number of exits/entrances.

Coming from Nynashamn there are only two stops for those wanting to visit Stockholm, they are Stockholm Södra and Stockholm C. If you want to make things a bit simpler, I suggest getting off at Stockholm Södra.

When you get off the train at Södra look to the center of the platfrom and follow the sign to "Swedenborgsgatan". Take the escalator up and continue through the little mini-mall until you exit the station. Cross the street and to your left you will see a bus stop. You can take bus 55 or bus 43 right to the Djurgården ferry, the HOHO boats also stop there, as do the HOHO buses. You are also right across the street from the Old Town. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the bus stop in front of the ferry (perhaps North-Bound knows), but it is the stop right after Slussen.

Using this alternative, you not only beat the crowds and confusion of the central station but you get to see a tiny slice of Södermalm. It's the island that I live on and not on the usual tourist maps.

Al

Our ship is also docking in Nynashamn, and your advice looks very appealing. However, we're arriving on a Sunday...will that make any difference re frequency of bus service. Also, is it possible to pay the bus drivers with cash, or do we need to buy tickets in advance.

Thanks very much!

Our ship is also docking in Nynashamn, and your advice looks very appealing. However, we're arriving on a Sunday...will that make any difference re frequency of bus service. Also, is it possible to pay the bus drivers with cash, or do we need to buy tickets in advance.

Thanks very much!

The Sunday bus service from that station is a little different (less frequent), but not too much.

No, you cannot pay bus drivers with cash. You must have a ticket. Since you are riding a train from Nynashamn, I'll assume you bought a ticket. I would suggest getting the one day travel card in Nynashamn. This covers all public transport in Stockholm, including the ferry to the Vasa museum, Skansen etc. (Djurgården).

Al

Our ship is docking in Frihamnen from 7:30am to 4:30 pm on a Monday. We want to see the Vasa museun, Royal Palace and Armory, City Hall (maybe), and walk around Gamla Stan. Can we walk from ship to all of these sites and what order is recommended? Should we get the card?

Thanks for all the help!

Our ship is docking in Frihamnen from 7:30am to 4:30 pm on a Monday. We want to see the Vasa museun, Royal Palace and Armory, City Hall (maybe), and walk around Gamla Stan. Can we walk from ship to all of these sites and what order is recommended? Should we get the card?

Frihamnen is in an industrial and port area with little of interest nearby. So walking is not recommended. Instead there is a bus number 76 from Frihamnen that goes past the area where the Vasa museum is located and then continues to Gamla Stan where the Royal Palace is.

To take this bus you need a ticket, it is not possible to pay the driver. There was a little tourist shop and information on the quay where passengers got off the ship last summer, and they did sell bus tickets. I recommend a stop there before you start walking towards the bus stop.

Here is a link to a map which shows Frihamnen port and the route for bus 76 together with the main sights in Stockholm. The map may help you decide which order you would like visit the different places.

http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&ll=59.34667,18.103495&spn=0.024549,0.057163&t=h&z=14

If you decide to go to the City Hall be aware that it is only possible to enter if you are on a guided tour. Here is a link to check times when tours in English are available:

http://international.stockholm.se/Tourism-and-history/The-Famous-City-Hall/Guided-tours-of-the-City-Hall/

I don’t know if you ask about the Stockholm card that includes museums or the transport card. The card that includes museums costs SEK 395 and is only worth the money if you will visit several museums. The transport card costs SEK 100 and is valid for unlimited travel on public transport for 24 hours, and it does include the ferry between Gamla Stan and Djurgården.

Al

Al, a very interesting idea about Södra Station, I never thought about that myself but it does make sense. So I have added both the Central Station and Södra Station on my cruise map. Here is a link:

http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&ll=59.34667,18.103495&spn=0.024549,0.057163&t=h&z=14

For anyone unfortunate to dock in Nynäshamn I recommend you skip the HOHO boat and go with the regular ferry insted. The ferry is included in the transport card you should buy in Nynäshamn. Your time in Stockholm will be very limited and the HOHO boat can take some time since you will have to wait for the next boat whenever you get off.

Good morning Al,

Our family will be arriving in Stockholm on Celebrity Constellation this August.

We are 5 adults and would like to arrange a private tour.

Would you be able to recommend some tour companies that we may contact to arrange?

Many thanks for your assistance.

Rita

Good morning Al,

Our family will be arriving in Stockholm on Celebrity Constellation this August.

We are 5 adults and would like to arrange a private tour.

Would you be able to recommend some tour companies that we may contact to arrange?

Many thanks for your assistance.

Rita

Hi there,

http://www.worldtravelguide.net/city/120/tours/Europe/Stockholm.html

There are some tours listed at that site.

and I also found this:

http://www.toursbylocals.com/TBL/WebObjects/ToursByLocals.woa/1/wa/mapclick?type=guide&region=7&area=241&wosid=DWntuDBNtzcZwjIDyadvIM

They have 3 private guides listed.

Good luck,

Al

We will be arriving on May 20 the NCL Sun to Nynashamm. We are trying to get to Stockholm and be able to see Gamla Stan and VAsa museum. We have directions for the train. Do you have any other suggestions or "must sees". What is the quickest way to Stockholm from Nynasham--train???

north-bound,

Thanks for your help. I did not realize you would need a guided tour for the City Hall. Will have to rethink that.

Using bus 76 from ship, what is the stop to get off for the Vasa Museum? Then do we get back on bus 76 to go to the Palace and Gamla Stan or do we ride a ferry?

Do you recommend the Noble Peace Museum or Skansen?

Thanks for all your help!

north-bound,

Thanks for your help. I did not realize you would need a guided tour for the City Hall. Will have to rethink that.

Using bus 76 from ship, what is the stop to get off for the Vasa Museum? Then do we get back on bus 76 to go to the Palace and Gamla Stan or do we ride a ferry?

Do you recommend the Noble Peace Museum or Skansen?

Thanks for all your help!

The name of the stop is Djurgårdsbron. Ask the driver to tell you when to get off. From there it is a short walk across a bridge and on to the museum.

Personally I love Skansen if the weather is nice. But it is a huge place so it is a good idea to check their site and think a bit about what you want to do there. Here is a link: http://www.skansen.se/pages/?ID=221

I have to confess I have never visited the Nobel Museum so I can not say anything about it.

How can I find our where our ship will be docking on August 22nd?

Thank you.

Did you mean on August 26? On that date Connie is booked at Stadsgården. But remember that changes do happen, even at last minute. So check again just before you leave for the cruise. Here is a link to Ports of Stockholm:

http://194.52.202.66:81/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=portitfw/FartygsLista_eng.html?hamn=Stohab&trafik=2&status=2&Show=Show

Did you mean on August 26? On that date Connie is booked at Stadsgården. But remember that changes do happen, even at last minute. So check again just before you leave for the cruise. Here is a link to Ports of Stockholm:

http://194.52.202.66:81/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=portitfw/FartygsLista_eng.html?hamn=Stohab&trafik=2&status=2&Show=Show

Yes, indeed, I did mean the 26th. I'm so looking forward to starting this wonderful cruise on the 22nd that I keep overlooking we won't be in all ports on the same day! :)

That's it Ultima, thanks.

For most English speakers I'll wager it's easier to say "the stop after Slussen". :)

Kippis

Al

Very helpful information, Al. I've printed it and it will be going on our trip with us! Thank you!

Could someone please tell me where to find La Mano and what public transportation I could use to get to it. Is there a metro within walking distance, or is the bus a better option? If the bus is the way, what bus number and what is the name of the stop? We are docking at Stadsgarden 167 and going to Gamla Stan so would like to see it going or coming back. I know it is on Sodermalm but can't find the exact location.

Also when would one use the Katarina elevator near Slussen?

Thanks so much

acjb ~ question about the Royal Palace you might be able to answer. We've been to Stockholm on land trips before - a fabulous city! (Our son-in-law is from Hallstavik and he's spoiled us with wonderful visits to Sweden.) We'll be in Stockholm for on July 7th on the Constellation during a Baltic cruise.

We've seen the Changing of the Guard (on Princess Victoria's birthday in 2008!) but have never been inside the Palace. I've gotten information on their web site about times and prices but wonder if they ever run-out of tickets? I can't find any where to order tickets in advance (as Buckingham Palace). I have E-mailed a question but have not received an answer yet.

We'd like to see at least the Royal Apartment and Gustav III´s Museum of Antiquities - I understand there's a combination ticket.

Any information you can give us would be greatly appreciated. And I must say - you are a fabulous person to offer such detailed help! I've lived in NYC all my life and don't think I'd be able to give the same detailed help regarding my city! I've never traveled here!!! Thanks much!

We've seen the Changing of the Guard (on Princess Victoria's birthday in 2008!) but have never been inside the Palace. I've gotten information on their web site about times and prices but wonder if they ever run-out of tickets? I can't find any where to order tickets in advance (as Buckingham Palace).

I visited the Palace two years ago. I had expected to have to follow some strict arrangements but found to my delight that it was very much a "walk around as you please" thing even if guided tours started off at regular intervals.

Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone's questions!!

We will be arriving from the US at the main airport and will be staying downtown at the Hotel Riddargatan. What would be the cost (in US dollars) for both my husband and I for the cab ride to downtown and do you know anything about this hotel? I understand that there will be a medical convention in town and it was very very difficult to find a room for Aug. 27th!!

Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone's questions!!

We will be arriving from the US at the main airport and will be staying downtown at the Hotel Riddargatan. What would be the cost (in US dollars) for both my husband and I for the cab ride to downtown and do you know anything about this hotel? I understand that there will be a medical convention in town and it was very very difficult to find a room for Aug. 27th!!

Good news is you don't need a taxi to get to downtown - you already are downtown. The Vasa museum (if you want to go there) is in one direction from the hotel, and Gamla Stan in another direction.

Here is a link to a map where you can see the location of some main attractions. If you try a seach for "Hotell Riddargatan" you will see where the hotel is. http://maps.google.se/maps/ms?client=firefox-a&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=100446628536787947860.000448dadb8bebb56f079&ll=59.334153,18.090019&spn=0.050343,0.099907&t=h&z=13