Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

Does anyone know where the Star Princess anchors in Stockholm? I have read that if it anchors at Nynashamn, #638, if so, that is almost one hour away from the city center. How would one get to the hop on hop off bus or boat if that is the case? Thank you. Cathy

Does anyone know where the Star Princess anchors in Stockholm? I have read that if it anchors at Nynashamn, #638, if so, that is almost one hour away from the city center. How would one get to the hop on hop off bus or boat if that is the case? Thank you. Cathy

Hi Cathy, I answered you on our board as well. We are docking according to the port At Stadsgarden which is where the HO-Ho Bus and Ho Ho Boat are. On our board I have indicated the site you need to refer to for this information. Barbara

does anyone know where the star princess anchors in stockholm? I have read that if it anchors at nynashamn, #638, if so, that is almost one hour away from the city center. How would one get to the hop on hop off bus or boat if that is the case? Thank you. Cathy

star princess 10/05/14, 10:00 10/05/14, 17:00 stadsgården

star princess 10/05/24, 10:00 10/05/24, 17:00 stadsgården

star princess 10/06/03, 10:00 10/06/03, 17:00 stadsgården

star princess 10/06/13, 10:00 10/06/13, 17:00 stadsgården

star princess 10/06/23, 10:00 10/06/23, 17:00 stadsgården

star princess 10/07/03, 10:00 10/07/03, 17:00 stadsgården

star princess 10/07/13, 10:00 10/07/13, 17:00 frihamnen

star princess 10/07/23, 10:00 10/07/23, 17:00 stadsgården

star princess 10/08/02, 10:00 10/08/02, 17:00 stadsgården

star princess 10/08/12, 10:00 10/08/12, 17:00 stadsgården

star princess 10/08/22, 10:00 10/08/22, 17:00 stadsgården

star princess 10/09/01, 10:00 10/09/01, 17:00 stadsgården

Stadsgården is the one about a mile southeast of Old Town.

Edited by Ultima Thule

Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone's questions!!

We will be arriving from the US at the main airport and will be staying downtown at the Hotel Riddargatan. What would be the cost (in US dollars) for both my husband and I for the cab ride to downtown and do you know anything about this hotel? I understand that there will be a medical convention in town and it was very very difficult to find a room for Aug. 27th!!

At one point, I thought the 24 hour travel card included the Djurgården ferry ride; however, the info has been updated on the SL site. Has the ferry ride been deleted?

Sharon

The problem here might be that the ferry is owned by Waxholmsbolaget rather than Stockholm Local Traffic so the info the latter's web site might be a bit sloppy regarding the ferry.

If I understand Waxholmsbolaget's own site (I found it in Swedish only) correctly then 24h ticket DO include the ferry ride. The key word is "opersonliga periodkort" = impersonal period card, and I understand that the 24h card is just that.

http://www.waxholmsbolaget.se/djurgardsfarjor/taxabestammelser.aspx

Ultima Thule - thank you so much for your research - we are very excited about getting to visit Stockholm again! We are planning to purchase the 24 hour transportation card as recommended and catch bus #76 from Frihamnen to Vasa (Djurgården); then take bus #47 to Central Station for the Absolut Ice Bar. Walk to City Hall and hopefully go through the Tower (I've read the lines can be very long); then walk aground Gamla Stan ending with the ferry ride from Slussen to Djurgården and then return to the ship via bus #76. We understand that we can take bus #76 from Gamla Stan, but thought it might be nice to enjoy the ferry ride.

Does this sound reasonable? thank you again,

Sharon

Ultima Thule - thank you so much for your research - we are very excited about getting to visit Stockholm again! We are planning to purchase the 24 hour transportation card as recommended and catch bus #76 from Frihamnen to Vasa (Djurgården); then take bus #47 to Central Station for the Absolut Ice Bar. Walk to City Hall and hopefully go through the Tower (I've read the lines can be very long); then walk aground Gamla Stan ending with the ferry ride from Slussen to Djurgården and then return to the ship via bus #76. We understand that we can take bus #76 from Gamla Stan, but thought it might be nice to enjoy the ferry ride.

Does this sound reasonable? thank you again,

Sharon

Please think carefully about your plans for the Ice Bar. This has been mentioned countless times here but I will say it once again, you cannot just drop in for a visit to the Ice Bar. The cruise lines book the Ice Bar for their own tours during the tourist season. The Ice Bar is not much bigger than a walk in freezer, so you can imagine the busloads that fill the place. I would hate for you to waste time getting over there only to be disappointed when there is so much else to see in this city, and you have such limited time.

Whatever you do I hope you enjoy.

Al

I live in Stockholm and love all the cruiseships that are comming here all the summer.

Do you need any information about the town or transportation, just ask and I will try to answer....

Thanks we will be arriving in July on the Eurodam at the Frihamnen port I believe. We were wondering how far it is from the port to town and the best way to see Stockholm if we do not use the ship excursions.

Any suggestions welcomed..... Thanks:)

Please think carefully about your plans for the Ice Bar. This has been mentioned countless times here but I will say it once again, you cannot just drop in for a visit to the Ice Bar. The cruise lines book the Ice Bar for their own tours during the tourist season. The Ice Bar is not much bigger than a walk in freezer, so you can imagine the busloads that fill the place. I would hate for you to waste time getting over there only to be disappointed when there is so much else to see in this city, and you have such limited time.

Whatever you do I hope you enjoy.

Al

I think I remember seeing you make this comment before. Could you please clarify: Are you saying that individuals can not make reservations ahead of time, or are you saying that even with a reservation individuals have to wait for the busloads of ship tours? I had thought with a reservation that we would not be "wasting our time." Or are you saying that even with no waiting that the ice bar, in your opinion, is a disappointment?

In addition to seeing highlights of a town, we enjoy an unusual/quirky activity and we thought the ice bar might be fun for the 40 minute experience.

I think I remember seeing you make this comment before. Could you please clarify: Are you saying that individuals can not make reservations ahead of time, or are you saying that even with a reservation individuals have to wait for the busloads of ship tours? I had thought with a reservation that we would not be "wasting our time." Or are you saying that even with no waiting that the ice bar, in your opinion, is a disappointment?

In addition to seeing highlights of a town, we enjoy an unusual/quirky activity and we thought the ice bar might be fun for the 40 minute experience.

Do you have a reservation? If so, I would hope they would honor it. Maybe squeeze you in between buses, maybe there is only one ship in port that day, who knows. I am pretty sure that most of the time the cruise lines have all the times booked during the day. However, from your post it sounded to me like you were just going to drop in to the Ice Bar. And if that is the case I believe you would be "wasting your time".

And, since you asked, I do think the Ice Bar is a disappointment for many reasons that I have stated on numerous occasions. Just my opinion.

I keep telling myself I will never make another comment on the Ice Bar here, but, damn, I can't help it sometimes :rolleyes:. The only reason I said anything this time was because I thought you were just going to drop in and was hoping to save you some trouble.

Enjoy

Al

Do you have a reservation? If so, I would hope they would honor it. Maybe squeeze you in between buses, maybe there is only one ship in port that day, who knows. I am pretty sure that most of the time the cruise lines have all the times booked during the day. However, from your post it sounded to me like you were just going to drop in to the Ice Bar. And if that is the case I believe you would be "wasting your time".

And, since you asked, I do think the Ice Bar is a disappointment for many reasons that I have stated on numerous occasions. Just my opinion.

I keep telling myself I will never make another comment on the Ice Bar here, but, damn, I can't help it sometimes :rolleyes:. The only reason I said anything this time was because I thought you were just going to drop in and was hoping to save you some trouble.

Enjoy

Al

Al,

I, for one, really appreciate your honest opinion on the Ice Bar. I too was looking into doing it, because I thought it would be something unique to do. However, I do not want to have to revolve my entire day in Stockholm around it, as there are far too many other sights I want to see. So I think your comments have helped me make up my mind that I will not be bothering with it, at least not this time.

floridafolks, I don't know if you're going to Copenhagen, but if so, there is an ice bar there as well (affiliated with the Ice Hotel). Cruise lines don't seem to go there as much, and you can make reservations early for that one. It might be a good alternative to the one in Stockholm.

Tami

Enjoy

Al

I certainly do appreciate your honest opinion. That is what CC is all about-getting experienced folks opinions. I do agree, if we do not have a reservation then we certainly are not going with hopes to wait around and get in. Thanks for the input.

I would be interested in hearing from individuals who have gone to the ice bar with a reservation. Did you actually get in at your scheduled time or did you have to wait and be squeezed in between tour groups?

Thanks to the other CC suggestion about an ice bar in another port which might have fewer ship tours.

In fact, there is even a rather new ice bar in Orlando Florida where we live. I find Orlando a rather odd place to have an ice bar, but on a hot day maybe that is not so bad. I sure wouldn't have to travel far for that one!!

Edited by floridafolks

Al,

I, for one, really appreciate your honest opinion on the Ice Bar. I too was looking into doing it, because I thought it would be something unique to do. However, I do not want to have to revolve my entire day in Stockholm around it, as there are far too many other sights I want to see. So I think your comments have helped me make up my mind that I will not be bothering with it, at least not this time.

floridafolks, I don't know if you're going to Copenhagen, but if so, there is an ice bar there as well (affiliated with the Ice Hotel). Cruise lines don't seem to go there as much, and you can make reservations early for that one. It might be a good alternative to the one in Stockholm.

Tami

Ditto for me...so many things to see, so little time!

In fact, there is even a rather new ice bar in Orlando Florida where we live. I find Orlando a rather odd place to have an ice bar, but on a hot day maybe that is not so bad. I sure wouldn't have to travel far for that one!!

Speaking of odd places for an Ice Bar ... the new NCL Epic has an Ice Bar onboard ... :)

Cheers

Al

acjb, could you advise as to how far from transportation (preferably by boat) to Vasa that Stad167 pier (I'm assuming they mean the pier in Stadsgarden) is? I have heard this is where we will be docking when the Constellation visits Stockholm in June.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Edited by RTanner

Thanks we will be arriving in July on the Eurodam at the Frihamnen port I believe. We were wondering how far it is from the port to town and the best way to see Stockholm if we do not use the ship excursions.

Any suggestions welcomed..... Thanks:)

Hello.

If you read this thread from the begining, you will find good advices how to get to the town and things to do.

Good luck and have a great time here.

I can't get the flights into Stockholm and was wondering if I could use another one near by that we can take a train journey to the port.

Thanks so much for you help

Hello.

We don´t have any more nearby airport in Stockholm that have directflights from ex USA.

If you flying to Copenhagen airport in Denmark(bigger than the airport in Stockholm), you can take a directtrain to Stockholm. That trainjourney will take about 5 hours and you will be able to see a lot of the swedish landscape outside the window :-) . The trains departure from Copenhagen airport to Stockholm every second hour. See www.sj.se for more information.

If you going to Stockholm that way the best way is to spend the night before the cruise in Stockholm. It will be to short time to arrive in Copenhagen, then take the train to Stockholm to board the cruiseship in the same day.

If you are going to Stockholm from a town somewhere in Europe, maybee you can fly with Ryanair to a smaller airport called Skavsta just one hour busjourney from Stockholm.

Hello.

We don´t have any more nearby airport in Stockholm that have directflights from ex USA.

Perhaps I misunderstand you? Anyway, there are daily direct flights from Stockholm Arlanda to New York and Chicago.

Al

Edited by Al_Frescoe

Thank you for taking the time to answer questions for all of us travelling to your lovely city.

Our family of 5 adults will be arriving on the Celebrity Constellation Thursday August 26 from 10 am - 5 pm. We would like to arrange for a private tour . . 4 in our group were in Stockholm 12 years ago. Would you be able to suggest a tour company we could contact?

Many thanks,

Rita

We will be docking in Nynashamn and attempting to get to a HOHO ferry once we get to Stockholm, or perhaps just wandering around Gamla Stan. Is Gamla Stan walking distance from Stockholm C or can we take the train directly into Gamla Stan? If we decided to do a HOHO ferry tour, which train stop would we need to use? Thank you for any advice!