Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

Hello: I live in Canada an will be in Stockholm in July. We are arriving on an Oceania cruise ship, and would like information on ways to get from the ship to the airport. Cost would also be helpful. Thank you. CanadianTom

You can take a taxi for about 500-700 SEK or 50-70 euro from the harbour direct to the airport. But be aware. Go by one of the big and serious taxi companies:

Taxi Stockholm

Taxi 020

Taxi Kurir

Or you can take a fast train from the main train station for 220 SEK per person.

You can also go buy bus from "Cityterminalen" close to the main train station for half the price of the train ticket.

But then you first have to go to the trainstation by taxi or bus.

Where can we purchase a transport card ? Do they sell them online ? We have been to Stockholm before, so this time we're just going back to the Vasa and the Gamla Stan.

If we purchased individual tkts for the buses do they only take coins (kroner )?

Sorry, one more question, what is there to see on Grinda Island ? Another option for us. We'll be there July 2010 on the Disney Magic with our Grandson

(15 yr).

Thank you !

Hello.

You can not buy a busticket at any local bus in Stockholm, you have to buy a ticket before, but it is a lot of ticketmachines at the most bus stops. There you can buy a ticket with creditcard and coins.

Here is the link to SL, Stockholm Public transport:

http://www.sl.se/Templates/SubStart.aspx?id=1906

If you are going to Grinda, you can see some Sheeps and cows. The most people in Stockholm are going there to sunbathing. It is a lovely boattrip about one hour from the city to get there.

You have a small shop there you can buy icecream, candy and it is also a restaurant at the island

http://www.grindawardshus.se

Hello.

You can not buy a busticket at any local bus in Stockholm, you have to buy a ticket before, but it is a lot of ticketmachines at the most bus stops. There you can buy a ticket with creditcard and coins.

Here is the link to SL, Stockholm Public transport:

There was some discussion regarding credit cards and the bus ticket machines in Stockholm. I think our friend North Bound was looking into it but I don't recall if we ever got a definite answer. The issue was the uncertainty of Credit Cards tied to banks outside of Sweden being valid in the machines.

Al

Can you clarify for me how much time would be needed for a visit to the Drottningholm Palace? http://www.stromma.se/en/Skargard/St...Drottningholm/ This site shows duration of one hour for the tour - I'm not sure if this is the round trip travel and whether it includes time to walk around at the Palace. Thank you,

Sharon

Can you clarify for me how much time would be needed for a visit to the Drottningholm Palace? http://www.stromma.se/en/Skargard/St...Drottningholm/ This site shows duration of one hour for the tour - I'm not sure if this is the round trip travel and whether it includes time to walk around at the Palace. Thank you,

Sharon

The boats to Drottningholm leave every hour (both ways). The boat just gets you there, what you do and how long you stay is up to you.

Skål

Al

Edited by Al_Frescoe

Just to clarify what I've read on these pages, our ship (Eclipse) docks at S167 Stadsgarden. I plan to get a bus to the ferry at Sluss(?) and go over to Djurgarden and visit the Vasa and then walk back 'round the harbour' to the ship, stopping at sights on the way. So question is, is it best to get a 1 day travelcard or just pay for the bus and ferry separately? Is there a bus stop by the S167 berth? Does it have a ticket machine? Does the plan sound OK?

Thanks

Simon

I am trying to do something similar to the previous post. My specific question is where is the nearest place to pier 167 to buy the 24 hr transportation pass. Is there a pressbyran at the pier or do we need to walk to Slussen SL center(20min) to get the pass to use on ferry and transportation throughout the day. I am referring to the 24 hr transportation pass for 100SEK. Thank you for your help.

We only have 7 hours in Stockholm and our top priorities are Vasa Museum and Old Town. If we take the HOHO boat, what kind of times are we talking about in transportation from the dock to VASA to Old Town to the dock? What is the frequency of boats from Old Town back to the dock? Thank you in advance for any assistance...

I am trying to do something similar to the previous post. My specific question is where is the nearest place to pier 167 to buy the 24 hr transportation pass. Is there a pressbyran at the pier or do we need to walk to Slussen SL center(20min) to get the pass to use on ferry and transportation throughout the day. I am referring to the 24 hr transportation pass for 100SEK. Thank you for your help.

There is a small service kiosk inside the security gates at pier 167, and the reports I have is that they do indeed sell the SL transport card. Since 9/11 the general public is no longer allowed near the ships (such a shame) so I can't get inside to get the latest info. As I said, there were earlier reports of people buying SL tickets from the kiosk inside the gates.

Good luck,

Al

I would like to extend a huge 'Thank You' to all of the contributors on this thread.

We will be visiting Stockholm on a Thursday in May 2010 arriving at Frihamnen Pier #638. Our main points of interest are Vasa Museum, Gamla Stan and Absolut Ice Bar. From other posts, it would appear the best method of transportation is bus #76 from Frihamnen to Vasa and then the ferry to Gamla Stan. Correct?

What would be the best transport from Gamla Stan to Absolut Ice Bar? or should we go to Absolut Ice Bar first and then Gamla Stan?

I've also read that Blue Bus#1 will take us from Absolut Ice Bar to Frihamnen. Is this correct?

thank you!

Sharon

Edited by reynoldswrap

What would be the best transport from Gamla Stan to Absolut Ice Bar? or should we go to Absolut Ice Bar first and then Gamla Stan?

Well, one option, if you are confident in reading maps and not afraid to get lost, is to rotate the gamla Stan counterclockwise from the ferry ending up in the southwest corner and then locate the subway station at corner Mälartorget - Schönfeldts Gränd and take the subway one stop northwards to the T-central and take the west side exit near the railway station. That would be quite close to the ice bar. I could give more detail instructions if anyone is interested.

I've also read that Blue Bus#1 will take us from Absolut Ice Bar to Frihamnen. Is this correct?

thank you!

Sharon

:) (sighs) Here we go again about the Ice bar. Please, do a search of this forum about the Ice Bar. (Hint: You can't just drop in for a visit during the day during the cruise season).

Good luck,

Al

Ultima Thule - Thank you so much for your response and yes, I am interested in more detailed directions! I have searched this forum and founds bits and pieces of info and have tried to use the transport schedule, but it's difficult without detailed kowledge of the city. Again, thank you!

Ok, for anyone interested in using Stockholm subway (Tunnelbana), especially the route "Gamla Stan" - "T-Centralen".

Map:

http://sl.se/ficktid/karta%2Fvinter/Tub.pdf

- All subway entrances are marked by a white circle with a blue "T".

- There are two lines doing this particular route, the red and the green one. Note that the colors are just names and has nothing to do with the color of the trains themselves (usually blue/silver).

- Note that the subway traffic is left handed so the trains will enter the stations from the "wrong" end.

- "Gamla Stan" in old town is a four track station with two tracks for each line. This station is on the street level. This particular station (as is next station southwards, "Slussen") is built so that the two northwards going tracks have one platform and the two southwards another. (This is to simplify transfer from one line to another)

- "T-Centralen", at Stockholm's commerical center, is a complex and rather crowdy station supporting three subway lines. Its built in two planes (35' and 55' under the street) with two tracks each under Klarabergsgatan with tracks for the blue line further down (100' under the street) and a bit on the side. Here, again to simplify transfer, the lines are mixed so that upper platform will be for the red line southwards and the green line northwards while the lower platform red line northhwards, green line southwards.

- You can use a Stockhol Card or a travel card (100kr for 24 hours). Cash tickets costs a horrible 2 coupons of 20 kr = 40 kr for one trip.

Going from "Gamla Stan" to "T-Centralen":

The best entrance for tourists should be at the corner "Mälartorget - Schönfelds Gränd". For some reason that entrance doesn't show up on the Google maps.

Its a quite discreet thing, just glass doors and steps leading down one floor to a tunnel that leads under Munkbroleden road to the ticket hall. There one gate is manned with a small ticket boot (as far as I know only selling zone tickets, not cards), the other gates are automatic. If you have a travel card you can open those by pulling the card in a slot and pushing the horisontal bar forward.

The "Gamla Stan" station is on the street level so once past the ticket office you should go upwards again. Look for the signs MÖRBY, ROPSTEN, HÄSSELBY, ÅKERSHOV or ALVIK showing the

way to the platform for northwards going trains (thats the platform further to the west/towards the water) and there, take any train regardless if it enters on the left or the right side of platform as both will go to T-Centralen. There are boards counting down the minutes, changing to show the destination and number of cars as soon as the train arrives.

T-Centralen" will be the next station, Depending on if you used the green or the red line you'll end up at the lower or the upper platform. If you happen to end up on the lower platform, don't be confused by the fact there are short escalators going to the upper platform and long escalators going direct to the ticket halls.

There are two ticket halls.

Turning left after exiting the train the escalators will take you to the ticket hall near Sergels Torg (corner ""Drottninggatan-Klarabergsgatan") with a straight entrance to the left to Åhlens department store.

Turning right after exiting the train the escalators will take you to the ticket hall with exits near corner "Vasagatan-Klara Vattugränd" and a underpass leading into the Central railway station.

Going the other way "T-Centralen" to "Gamla Stan":

Its the same procedure but you'll have to select to go either to the upper platform, taking trains NORSBORG or FRUÄNGEN or the lower platform, taking trains HAGSÄTRA, FARSTRA or SKARPNÄCK.

NOTE. About 150 metres north of the Central Station near the Ice Bar there are subway entrances at Vasagatan 9 and across the street at Vasagatan 36. DON'T USE THOSE as they will take you to a third ticket hall that

will go to the blue line only.

This site shows pictures of the stations

http://www.kynerd.com/Tunnelbanan/Gamlastan.html

http://www.kynerd.com/Tunnelbanan/T_Centralen.html

Stockholm Public Transport:

Edited by Ultima Thule

Ultima Thule - Thank you so much for the detailed information on the trains - you are certainly a 'wealth of information' and so very kind to take the time for us. I will post this info reference on another thread - I'm sure it will be extremely beneficial to many of us. Hope you have a great weekend!

We will be traveling on the Disney magic in Late June......Unfortunately the excursions on the ship are all 1/2 day tours and don't really give an option of a 1 day over view of what we want to see plus the expense is high since they charge for kids 3-9.....

We are 2 adults, and 4 kids 2-9, and based on Stockholm card we would only need to apy for the 2 adults and 1 child making it a much better deal. I have reviewed and it seems we should see the following things?

Vasa-I have heard and 1 hour there is plenty with kids

Jundbjorn - Pippi Longstocking place (have no idea how long to stay there)

we were going to skip Skanson because it sounds a bit like something we could find here in the states

Hoping to do City hall (mainly to see blue room for noble banquet) Royal palace....chaning of guard and the treasury exhibit)

Glam stmna

Would love to do the Drottingham area but not sure this would work as far as timing....

I have no idea how to pace my day and what is the best route and such.....is there a guide that would help with this.....

Love to hear your thoughts>

You should try and get to Vasa first. Most people try and get there as arly as possible, before the crowds start to fill the place up. from there youcan do a boat ride to the Palace and the Changing of the Guard, and after that, Gamla Stan is a short walk from the Palace.

Cheers

Len

You should try and get to Vasa first. Most people try and get there as arly as possible, before the crowds start to fill the place up. from there youcan do a boat ride to the Palace and the Changing of the Guard, and after that, Gamla Stan is a short walk from the Palace.

Cheers

Len

Thanks......so the Drottigham palace is a seperate day.....no way it could be fit in......

Marlo

Depends on how much time you have there.

For us, this was our shortest post, but the one we liked the best. Just wish we had a lot more time to explore this fascinating city.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

We are going to be in Stockholm (Celebrity Eclipse) in July 2010. We plan to purchase the Supreme HOHO ticket, but also want to make sure that we see the Olympic Stadium. Does anyone know which stop we would get off at and how we would get to the Stadium from the stop? Thanks

We are going to be in Stockholm (Celebrity Eclipse) in July 2010. We plan to purchase the Supreme HOHO ticket, but also want to make sure that we see the Olympic Stadium. Does anyone know which stop we would get off at and how we would get to the Stadium from the stop? Thanks

Wow, that's the first time I have seen anyone request this. Bus 55 goes by there (bus 55 toward Hjorthagen) or the long blue bus #4 (towards Radiohuset). I don't know exactly what stop to get off, but it is the large dark red brick stadium that passes by your window, you can't miss it unless you are asleep.

Have fun,

Al