Why Bring Your Own Booze?

To me if you say people who drink alcohol are costing the cruise line revenue because they have a drink or two of their own in the privacy of their cabin then what about the non-drinker? How much are they costing the cruise line? That argument really doesn't hold water (or Vodka for that matter), lol.

Colleen

And we might as well chastise the non-gamblers, non-shoppers, non-excursioners, the camera shy, those who don't frequent the specialty restaurants ... why, if only they would do what they are supposed to (spend a lot of money onboard) then RCL would drop cabin prices!

We all know that after all the lawsuits, RCCL changed it's policy and you couldn't bring bottles bought on board back to your cabin. But I have never seen them put a limit on how many times they will swipe a sea pass card. On our Vision cruise in 2008, we sat at the pool on a sea day with our kids. There was a group of 4 guys (looked like 21-25) sitting next to us. The went through 12 buckets of beers and rounds and rounds of shots. They got loud and started using very fowl language. My husband and others around them asked them to tone it done since the area was filled with kids. Security came over a few times, but never were they denied drinks. These are the fools that fall overboard. Not us responsible adults who enjoy a cocktail or two in their cabin or on their balcony. If RC is going to take our privileges of having a bottle in our room, then they need to do the same with sea pass cards.

Wow, I totally agree with you.

Just a quick question, since I see that you have kids almost same age as mine...

Do you bring juice and water with you on the ship for the kids? I was planning on it, but then I read that it's not allowed and now I'm confused...Should I pack it anyway, and hope that it won't be found by security???

We will be checking a flat of bottled water on our upcoming FOS cruise. I will be making some "homemade" luggage tags and giving the flat of water to the porters to deliver to our room. I've done it several times before without a problem.

We will be bringing some juice boxes on board too. I will probably pack these into our luggage. They come in handy on shore excursions.

There's a lot of confusing messages delivered on these boards. Everyone is an "expert" as far as they are concerned. My plan of action, as always, if to go ahead and attempt to do what i want to do and deal with the fallout, if any. What's the worst that can happen, they say "no" and you leave behind a flat of water or a few juice boxes? Big deal.

Across all cruises, operating costs would go down. Some cruise lines might keep prices stand pat and just realize the extra revenue. Others might decrease prices on cabins/drinks/etc. Laws of supply and demand would force the cruise lines who don't initally drop prices to drop them in order to remain competitve with those who dropped them to begin with. So, everyone wins! :cool:

HI GATOR!!!

Down in Miami...in the RCI boardroom...they have the RCI logo with company motto underneath...it reads...

"FULL GREED AHEAD!!!"...LOL!!!:D

We have cruised RCCL, CCL, Princess and HAL. When they start carrying Seagrman's VO then I will not have to bring my own. Plus I also enjoy a cocktail on my balcony before dinner.

Same with rye. Never been on a ship yet that has had it.

At one port, I think it was Cartagena, Spain, they were giving away little airline size bottles of some liquor as we got off the ship. I was just going to the information booth so all I had was my Seapass card on me--no purse. I stuck mine in my pocket and only had to walk through the "gate" security. No problem. However, those that put theirs in totes, purses, etc. had them taken up when they returned to the ship.

Don't tell me it has to do with "safety." If you believe that, I have some waterfront property to sell--in Arizona.

Tucker in Texas

Same with rye. Never been on a ship yet that has had it.

At one port, I think it was Cartagena, Spain, they were giving away little airline size bottles of some liquor as we got off the ship. I was just going to the information booth so all I had was my Seapass card on me--no purse. I stuck mine in my pocket and only had to walk through the "gate" security. No problem. However, those that put theirs in totes, purses, etc. had them taken up when they returned to the ship.

Don't tell me it has to do with "safety." If you believe that, I have some waterfront property to sell--in Arizona.

Tucker in Texas

AHHH, so the key is pockets!!! I actually have done that when I board a plane too. Two times accidently but then I realized it worked so why not? If I have too much stuff for that little quart size bag, I just stick it in my pocket. Now I can have a few drinks too :D. I love cargo pants.

You forgot the :rolleyes: hehehe

And we might as well chastise the non-gamblers, non-shoppers, non-excursioners, the camera shy, those who don't frequent the specialty restaurants ... why, if only they would do what they are supposed to (spend a lot of money onboard) then RCL would drop cabin prices!

Ummmm.... A bottle of top shelf whisky is about $25 (for the small bottle) A 6 pack of diet coke is about $5, that's $30.

At @ about $7 per drink on board, Let's say 4 drinks per day = $28 (plus gratuity/tip == $35) multiply that by 6 days = $210

I'm saving $180

Now, if DH decides to drink too, then double that savings.

Yes

Yes, worth the hassle

What do you like to take. I would love to take Tequila. Do they make a dry mix for margaritas to mix with Tequila?

Just wondering.

AHHH' date=' so the key is pockets!!! I actually have done that when I board a plane too. Two times accidently but then I realized it worked so why not? If I have too much stuff for that little quart size bag, I just stick it in my pocket. Now I can have a few drinks too :D. I love cargo pants.[/quote']

That would be a crap shoot, too, they were patting down people, especially guys with cargo pants (lol)

Tucker in Texas

Tucker in Texas - Were you on the first VOS TA from Barcelona to Galveston in 2007? We got the same bottles in Cartegena, Spain and I still have one of them. They gave me and DH about 10 of them and no one took them up on the ship. Can't remember if I even told them what I had.

Tucker in Texas - Were you on the first VOS TA from Barcelona to Galveston in 2007? We got the same bottles in Cartegena, Spain and I still have one of them. They gave me and DH about 10 of them and no one took them up on the ship. Can't remember if I even told them what I had.

Yes, we were with you. We were recognizable because we had bags on our heads because of the football game (lol).

This was last year on the same TA that they took them up. It was sporatic, some they did, some they didn't. I found they made good cough medicine when I caught whatever that was that was going around in 2007. Too bad you weren't with us last year? I could have taken the bag off my head (lol).

Tucker in Texas

We will be checking a flat of bottled water on our upcoming FOS cruise. I will be making some "homemade" luggage tags and giving the flat of water to the porters to deliver to our room. I've done it several times before without a problem.

We will be bringing some juice boxes on board too. I will probably pack these into our luggage. They come in handy on shore excursions.

There's a lot of confusing messages delivered on these boards. Everyone is an "expert" as far as they are concerned. My plan of action, as always, if to go ahead and attempt to do what i want to do and deal with the fallout, if any. What's the worst that can happen, they say "no" and you leave behind a flat of water or a few juice boxes? Big deal.

You have been around for awhile.........and I have 2 questions. First.....with over 5000 posts......why are you still considered to be a "cool cruiser".....and secondly.........not a question really.......but obviously..you have cruised enough to know that if you get caught with alcohol......they confiscate it.........period! If it is in the original container......they will give it back to you at the end of the cruise. If it has been put into another style of container..........they may keep it and dispose of it as the ship sees fit!

I understand what the consequences are and act accordingly.:)

Rick

My TA usually orders a bottle of wine for a welcome aboard gift from RCCL. Now we ask her to order us several bottles since she can get them at a reduced rate. We are limited to White Wine or Merlot, so we usually order 2 of each.

Between the past guess party and the captain's party, we get plenty of free drinks. We usually save our bargain drinking for the ports.

It looks like the same one, it was after definately, we had got our sea passes at this point and then went passed the shop to get our photo done then onto the ship, there wasnt any more checks. We would not have managed to get all the bottles on board otherwise. It has been mentioned on CC a few times but quietly.:D

We sailed the Navigator out of Barcelona in June and yes, the duty free shops were after security BUT, on our cruise, there was another x-ray machine set up as you entered the ship. They were taking any alcohol that had been purchased in the DF shop. Lot of irate cruisers.

Sue

You can thank the jurks that got to drunk and fell or got pushed overboard, and thier families sued the cruise line. Because of them carried thier boose onto the ship. It was once nice when you could buy the booze on the first day of the cruise from RCCI and drink it in your cabin, but no more because of some stupid people.

You can thank the jurks that got to drunk and fell or got pushed overboard, and thier families sued the cruise line. Because of them carried thier boose onto the ship. It was once nice when you could buy the booze on the first day of the cruise from RCCI and drink it in your cabin, but no more because of some stupid people.

And yet this is not universal to all cruise lines. Frankly, if RCL wanted to make money they could offer a bar setup service using the smaller bottles. Most people who bring on board do so for conveinence not to save money (I said MOST not all).

If I'm on my balcony and want to have a drink why should I have to wait for room service or walk to the bar and back? Give me reasonable options.

Just remember: Just like locks keep honest people out but crooks will find a way to get in, stupid people will still do stupid things. They'll just find a different way to be stupid!

You can't cure stupid, no matter how many rules you make.

Just remember: Just like locks keep honest people out but crooks will find a way to get in, stupid people will still do stupid things. They'll just find a different way to be stupid!

Every cruise I take, I dedicate two bags to bringing booze on board. I usually bring a case of beer, a case of water, five or six bottles of wine, and some scotch. Since our room bill averages about twenty-eight hundred for the week, I sure as heck don't feel bad about bringing my own supplies aboard. Our room stewards have never said anything about it, besides a few jokes.

I heartily agree with those posts that say - "because I want to". It has nothing to do with the money, I just like to enjoy a glass of wine (or 2) on our own balcony. The itinerary has many wine-tasting tours offered in ports, where in past cruises (HAL, NCL) we've been allowed to purchase wine and bring back on board for our own private use in our cabin. We are contemplating a Celebrity cruise next year to South America, and if this no-private-booze-onboard is a strictly enforced policy, we will be sailing with another line instead. Does anyone know FOR SURE that we are not allowed to bring wine on board at ports (other than the 2 allowed at embarkation)? Two bottles will not get us through a 15-day cruise.:mad:

Every cruise I take, I dedicate two bags to bringing booze on board. I usually bring a case of beer, a case of water, five or six bottles of wine, and some scotch. Since our room bill averages about twenty-eight hundred for the week, I sure as heck don't feel bad about bringing my own supplies aboard. Our room stewards have never said anything about it, besides a few jokes.

Are you a drinker?

Archived