Canceled Flight, Missed Cruise, Jones Act?

JACJAM

Where do you get insurance for $90? For that price it might be worth it but not for the prices I have seen.

There is a great site for travel insurance. It's http://www.insuremytrip.com. We always put in the amount of whole trip that we couldn't afford to lose. And most of the policies include trip interuption insurance. I've never had to use this type of insurance (thank goodness), but just knowing I've purchased it, and what it covers has given me peace of mind. You never, ever know.

Where do you get insurance for $90? For that price it might be worth it but not for the prices I have seen.

You price the entire trip and depending on what plan you get...and your

age, its always been reasonable in price.

I had friends who found themselves in the same situation a few years back. They booked cruise and air (flying in the same day) with Carnival, but missed the northbound Alaska cruise because of a flight delay. They had no insurance, and were unable to board the ship or recoop any of their cost.

If folks were allowed to board in Ketchikan, could they have been on a B2B with the southbound sailing included? I'm not sure if that would satisfy the requirements of the Jones Act, but I doubt that Celebrity would pay the fines for breaking this law.

I had friends who found themselves in the same situation a few years back. They booked cruise and air (flying in the same day) with Carnival, but missed the northbound Alaska cruise because of a flight delay. They had no insurance, and were unable to board the ship or recoop any of their cost.

If folks were allowed to board in Ketchikan, could they have been on a B2B with the southbound sailing included? I'm not sure if that would satisfy the requirements of the Jones Act, but I doubt that Celebrity would pay the fines for breaking this law.

its not just the fine. The penalty for a knowing violation can be baring the ship from any US port for a period of time. No cruise line will risk it. Its also never been done. but if the cruise lines start violating the rule its not the $300 pp they might have to deal with. NCL was fined a million dollars for missing Kirbuti from Hawaii on its foreign flagged ships and the reasons were all medical or mechanical.

hi all, this site is a minefield of fascinating but somewhat alarming information! I am flying from Barbados to San Juan on the morning of my cruise. let's say, hypothetically, that my flight is delayed and I miss the departure of the cruise. If my understanding of american geopolitics is correct, PR is an american port? The first port of call, the next day, is St Croix - under the Jones Act could I join the cruise there? The 2nd day is St Kitts, so if I have understood the OP, I could not board the cruise after St Croix?

hi all, this site is a minefield of fascinating but somewhat alarming information! I am flying from Barbados to San Juan on the morning of my cruise. let's say, hypothetically, that my flight is delayed and I miss the departure of the cruise. If my understanding of american geopolitics is correct, PR is an american port? The first port of call, the next day, is St Croix - under the Jones Act could I join the cruise there? The 2nd day is St Kitts, so if I have understood the OP, I could not board the cruise after St Croix?

The Jones Act is a U.S. law, so boarding in any non U.S. port is not an issue so far the the Jones Act goes. It only comes into play when boarding at a U.S. port.

The Jones Act is a U.S. law, so boarding in any non U.S. port is not an issue so far the the Jones Act goes. It only comes into play when boarding at a U.S. port.

So are San Juan and St Croix considered US ports?

So are San Juan and St Croix considered US ports?

Yes. St. Croix/St. Thomas/St. John are in the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory. If you miss your ship in FL and the next port is Key West, you also can't board the ship there.

Hi,

When reading threads about painful and damaging experiences such as the one the OP lived thru, I'm reminded about a very clever ad by

Fram, the filter folks...

'' It's your choice, you can pay me $4.95 now '' ( picture shows a small

Fram oil filter ) or pay me $ 3,5xx.xx later '' ( other picture shows a new engine block being dropped in place ).....We all know the message transmitted here, being;; choosing to skim on an oil filter will cost you a lot more later....

I feel for the OP.....Destiny is often cruel...:eek:

Cheers

;)

So, just to make sure I have this completely clear: if my flight was delayed and I fail to board when the cruise departs from San Juan, an american port, can I, or can't I, fly to St Croix and board there? Or would I have to/could I, fly to St Kitts and pick it up there? The cruise leaves from and returns to San Juan. Confusing!

Well, that was a total bummer. I completely understand your work situation driving your flight schedule. If you have one of those hectic jobs where time off is a luxury, it's hard to get away.

Since you have asked for help, ;) I thought that perhaps you may want to contact the ombudsman at Conde Nast Traveller magazine. It wouldn't hurt to ask. Good luck to you.

And just so you don't feel alone, my own mom missed a cruise once because she mixed up the dates. So it happens. After she got over her initial saddness, she rebooked for a later date and made the best of it. What else can you do? I'll ask her if she received any discounts from Princess. I can't remember, it was about 6 years ago.

So, just to make sure I have this completely clear: if my flight was delayed and I fail to board when the cruise departs from San Juan, an american port, can I, or can't I, fly to St Croix and board there? Or would I have to/could I, fly to St Kitts and pick it up there? The cruise leaves from and returns to San Juan. Confusing!

We have been on repositioning cruises that leave Bayonne, stop at the Bahamas and wind up in San Juan. So I don't think San Juan is treated the same as an American port. If it was treated as an American port, then the PVSA would require a stop at Aruba or Curacao on this repo. Don't ask the details, it gets hairy.

BTW, the PVSA governs passenger movement, the Jones act covers CARGO.

I would still guess you could board at St. Kitts, a foreign country, for the run to San Juan. That is OK.

Here are some links to some old threads about someone who missed embarkation in Seattle and joined the cruise in Juneau (but there was a stop in Victoria before returning to Seattle). She had trip insurance. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=809473&highlight=alaskabound

Interestingly enough, even though she had insurance, the claim was denied. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=843888&highlight=

While searching for these threads, I found a few others that indicated issues with getting the insurers to pay. There are lots of loopholes in the fine print of the policies.

Mortgage Chick Were you ranting or serious about Air Canada and bankruptcy?We live in California and are flying on the day of our cruise.Celebrity used to offer transfers from Seattle to Vancouver and I stupidly didn't check if they still did before booking our flights.So then I booked connecting flights from Seattle to Vancouver on Air Canada.Originally booked a car rental only to discover labor day happens in Canada too and were advised we'd miss our ship if we drove.We do have trip insurance and it cost us a bunch to add the flight.And now with the Jones Act posts I am getting concerned.We are doing a BTB Alaskan cruise starting Sept.4.HELP! Any advice appreciated.

There are lots of loopholes in the fine print of the policies.

There sure are. Even plans offered by the same company can vary significantly. Don't ever just sign up for trip insurance and assume you are covered for every imaginable situation. Read a lot before you buy. Once you think you have found the perfect plan, call the insurer and get the details. Read over the coverage and ask questions until you fully understand what you are buying.

Looking at your signature, you are very experienced cruiser. So I am curious on what grounds are you protesting your charge? You did not arrive in time to board the ship.

It's a terrible thing that this happened but from the cruise lines point of view:

they provided the cabin, you did not use it

They also provide cruise air and travel insurance that you did not use.

They could have sold your cabin to someone who might have bought the cruise air (a good profit) the insurance and had onboard expenses. In a way they are also a damaged party in this terrible incident.

Please let us know how this works out for you.

I, too, am very sorry for these passengers, but surely a bit of foresight could have prevented this happening. Firstly, they say that because of work, they couldn't fly a day early. OK, I accept that, but they have now lost a lot more than missing a day in work. Secondly, they say that booking the air journey through the cruise company would have been more expensive. Sure it would, but not as expensive as losing everything, Thirdly, the OP who says he "never buys insurance because it is too expensive" is just plain crazy. Surely you can buy an annual policy like we do here in the UK, which is inexpensive.

Rule 1. We always book air through the cruise company.

Rule 2. We have an annual travel insurance policy which means we are always covered.

Rule 3. If we are not flying, we always travel the day before sailing.

Just plain common sense.

I, too, am very sorry for these passengers, but surely a bit of foresight could have prevented this happening. Firstly, they say that because of work, they couldn't fly a day early. OK, I accept that, but they have now lost a lot more than missing a day in work. Secondly, they say that booking the air journey through the cruise company would have been more expensive. Sure it would, but not as expensive as losing everything, Thirdly, the OP who says he "never buys insurance because it is too expensive" is just plain crazy. Surely you can buy an annual policy like we do here in the UK, which is inexpensive.

Rule 2. We have an annual travel insurance policy which means we are always covered.

Just plain common sense.

I have never booked air through the cruise line. However, in the case of an Alaska cruise that begins in Canada, purchasing cruise air may be the only way one could join a missed ship in Ketchikan - because some people DO board the ship there. (A group did so on our June 2007 Alaska cruise.) However, when you purchase cruise air, you almost always arrive the same day the ship departs - unless you pay a "custom air" fee to arrive a day early. As we know, flying to the port city the day the cruise departs greatly increases the odds that you might "miss the boat"! I prefer to control when I fly, so I buy my own airfare and plan to arrive at least one day early.

Twice I have planned cruises with my sister, and twice she has cancelled on me at the last minute due to medical emergencies involving her husband. She was within the 100% penalty period for the first cruise and was fully reimbursed by the insurance company. She cancelled the second cruise 3 weeks before, so she wasn't penalized by the cruise line but I had to pay a hefty single supplement. I was reimbursed for my extra cost and my sister was reimbursed for her flights. I'm not inviting my sister on any more cruises, and my brother-in-law prefers it that way! :)

What I meant was that, if the air is booked through the cruise line, we always use that flight, but we always travel to the airport the day before. Maybe it's not so easy in the USA but we are only three hours from LHR here.

Very sad...Delta strikes again! There was a time when an airline would do everything it could to get you another flight on it or another line--not how it is now!

Too late for OP but everyone must consider getting to port early to avoid heartache like this...we build it into the trip--time & cost...

We are using Delta to Rome--but going two days ahead--hope that is enough! For Europe we plan two days ahead, for Fla usually one day ahead but this past season did 2 days early due to bad weather issues in January--turned out to be great weather down there but we felt less stress...& enjoyed Ft Lauderdale & the water taxi trip.. When we cruise from San Diego we will go three days ahead--to sightsee, adjust time & be sure we are ready to cruise!

A good point was also made about lost missing luggae--we went a day ahead to Seattle--ALL luggage lost--had it not been located & deliv to use in the middle of the night, we would have been shopping for clothes the day of dep. or our Anniv in our cabin!--not easy..

Sorry again to original poster & hope all others heed the sad lesson..

Just plain common sense.

It seems like even with insurance the OP may not have been covered for this situation.

I'm very sorry to hear about your missed cruise (and the Jones Act wasn't something I was aware of until many years into my cruising). However I can't recommend insurance enough and I started purchasing it once my family members became elderly. I've used it twice, to the tune of $14000 due to immediate family medical emergencies. The last time was in Mar 09, 4 days prior to my flight (and a 50 plus day vacation) when my spouse was medivaced into what turned into a 2 month hospital experience and it wasn't a pre-existing condition. The lesson is "you never know" and although I don't buy extended warranties I do buy cruise insurance.

Surely you can buy an annual policy like we do here in the UK, which is inexpensive.

Just plain common sense.

I understand that in the UK, you can buy annual insurance at a reasonable costs that covers all travel. As far as I know, this is not available in the U.S. or at least it is not marketed as such.

Does anyone know of a company that offers annual travel insurance that covers travel that is not named in the policy?

I understand that in the UK, you can buy annual insurance at a reasonable costs that covers all travel. As far as I know, this is not available in the U.S. or at least it is not marketed as such.

Does anyone know of a company that offers annual travel insurance that covers travel that is not named in the policy?

I do know of someone who lives in the US who purchases a policy that covers him for his year of travels. I believe it is through Travlex, but would have to check to be sure.

Just plain common sense.

Booking air through the cruiseline is not a guarantee that you will make the ship. This is a common misconception that people have. They will make every attempt to get you there but as stated in their contracts, cruise air is a courtesy for the traveler.

Archived