What would you do? One Balcony verses TWO Promenades

I am fighting with myself over this....so, I am taking it to my favorite people. :D

What would YOU do?

The ship - Explorer of the Seas

The # of people in the cabin - 4 (2 adults/2 small kids)

The price -

One - D1 - $4,324

TWO Promenade Cabins - $4,024

So it is $300 more for ONE balcony cabin for 4 people verses TWO Promenade cabins (we would just put one adult and one child in each cabin)

So for $300 less we get two bathrooms, 2 TV's, etc - but, we lose the Aft Balcony. :(

What would YOU do?

cm, that's a tough choice. This time it's not the money. I think I'd take the aft balcony though. This way it feels like more room even with one bathroom. Since your girls are young, it won't be too bad.

If you decide on the two Promenades, then I'd ask for a connecting door between the two so it doesn't seem like you are so separated.

That's my $.02.

I am fighting with myself over this....so, I am taking it to my favorite people. :D

What would YOU do?

The ship - Explorer of the Seas

The # of people in the cabin - 4 (2 adults/2 small kids)

The price -

One - D1 - $4,324

TWO Promenade Cabins - $4,024

So it is $300 more for ONE balcony cabin for 4 people verses TWO Promenade cabins (we would just put one adult and one child in each cabin)

So for $300 less we get two bathrooms, 2 TV's, etc - but, we lose the Aft Balcony. :(

What would YOU do?

Michele,

Being a family cruiser, the bathroom math is simple. Take the two Promenade cabins. The two bathrooms will make a huge difference in you experince. Processing 4 bodies through one tiny bathroom is too time consuming. (Been there, done that...never again!)

That's a no brainer for me....Balcony! Our fam of four survived 4 in a D1 and it wasn't that bad, certainly not like camping!

Last cruise, my DH and I had a balcony and the "kids" had a promenade. It was literally night and day!

Your kids are small....and well travelled....they can deal with it! :D:)

CM,

Don't you usually sail in a balcony? If so, I can't imagine being in a tiny room with only a balcony. I realize the price is high, but I think you will be disappointed in the 2 rooms, plus DH will not be with you.

Have you thought about sailing another time when things aren't as expensive? Just a thought. Enjoy.

I choose 2 promenade cabins. We had connecting ones, kids in one us in the other. It was heavenly!!! Did I miss the balcony, sort of. I missed getting the fresh air in the AM, but it didn't ruin my cruise. I actually think having the two room enhanced it. We have connecting balcony cabins for our next RCCL cruise, yes I missed the balcony, but not enough to stuff the 4 of us in one bathroom again!!!!!

That's a tough one. If you had teenagers I'd say take the 2 promenades, no questions. But since small children don't require as much time in the bathroom, maybe one cabin would be ok, especially if you tend to use your balcony a lot.

One question to consider: Does the balcony have a sleeper sofa or pullman beds? If it's pullman beds, will your kids sleep on those? I've heard of families that planned it that way and then the kids didn't want to be "all alone way up there." And if they won't, does it matter to you if you or your dh have to sleep up top?

CM,

Don't you usually sail in a balcony?

Have you thought about sailing another time when things aren't as expensive? Just a thought. Enjoy.

Yes, we always have a balcony. I would LOVE to sail at another time but this time, I have family coming over from the UK and they are coming in June. So now everyone wants to cruise, in June. :eek:

Does the balcony have a sleeper sofa or pullman beds? If it's pullman beds, will your kids sleep on those? I've heard of families that planned it that way and then the kids didn't want to be "all alone way up there." And if they won't, does it matter to you if you or your dh have to sleep up top?

Sleeper sofa and that's another strike against the AFT D1. My kids started claiming that they don't like to sleep in the same sofa bed. In the past, I told them to deal with it. ;) But if I can avoid it, pay less money, then maybe the PR cabins are the way to go.

Michele, did you see if 9376/9381 or 9676/9681 are available? That way you would get two bathrooms plus one balcony.

###

You gave me hope! The D1s are available. But then it was dashed. The connecting L's aren't. :(

The price, it's $100 more than the Aft balcony - which makes it $400 more than 2 PR's.

Thanks though - that combo is ingenious!

I prefer inside cabins for the value. We have done balconies, and for us, they weren't worth it. Having said that, if you live in a square state, and rarely see the ocean, then you might want to spring for the balcony. For us here in Florida, views of the ocean are no big deal.

We've had cases with noisy neighbors on one side, and smokers on the other side, making it difficult to enjoy the balcony.

So we prefer a plain inside cabin. We can always go on deck any time of day or night to see the ocean.

We are going on the Explorer next week and chose a PR across from a E1 - maybe that will fit into your budget and you will get the best of both worlds. Our children are a little older (12 and 14) but this is our first time with a PR. We have had 2 connecting balconys on the last 2 cruises. Oir first cruise on the EOS was in an OV on deck 2 with four of us in one room and we need the extra room and bathroom. Good luck in choosing what best fits your needs!

Liltx! I think we have a winner! :D If I do 1 E2 on Deck 7 and 1 Inside on Deck 7 then the price is the EXACT same as two PR cabins once I put in my balcony discount.

WOOHOOOOO!

Now, which adult gets stuck with the inside. ;) Maybe we'll draw straws...lol.

So I can have my balcony AND two bathrooms, separate beds for the kids, AND still keep the $300. It's the best of both worlds.

THANK YOU!!!!!!

When we sailed on the Liberty of the Seas, we got a pair of connecting Promenade cabins. We all enjoyed them immensely, plus the pair of bathrooms meant that getting ready on a port day wasn't as much of a burden.

On our next cruise, on the Oasis of the Seas, we're keeping with the trend and have a pair of connecting Central Park View cabins. :)

We had the same dilemma on an Explorer cruise we were taking............myself,husband and daughter(who was about 19)....no way would I do 3 people in one cabin..........we took the connecting PR cabins.....

Liltx! I think we have a winner! :D If I do 1 E2 on Deck 7 and 1 Inside on Deck 7 then the price is the EXACT same as two PR cabins once I put in my balcony discount.

WOOHOOOOO!

Good job!

Michele you can always alternate :) - you don't have to drage everything over to the other room cause it's just for sleeping...........

So I can have my balcony AND two bathrooms, separate beds for the kids, AND still keep the $300. It's the best of both worlds.

Saving $$ is ALWAYS a good thing!

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Happy Cruisin! :D

WOOHOOOOO!

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Glad I was able to give you a valid idea! Enjoy the best of both worlds!

We did adjoining cabins on the Explorer, and it was so nice to have the extra bathroom, and with the door in the middle, you could close it when you need to ;). I wouldn't stick 4 of us in one cabin after having that luxury. I hear that the Promenade rooms can get noisy, especially during the parade. Personally, I would go with a lower inside or outside category to get 2 adjoining cabins. This way, everyone's still in one place and you don't have to cross the hall back & forth. We are sailing on the Mariner in Oct. with my brother's family, and unfortunately we werent able to get 2 sets of adjoining cabins, so we will have the kids right next door.

• 3 weeks later...

WOOHOOOOO!

THANK YOU!!!!!!

just saw your post and I was going to make the same suggestion. I was on the same cruise a few weeks ago - orignally I priced 4 people in 1 balcony on deck 6 - then I realized 2 in a balcony room and 2 in an inside room came out to $200 less than one balcony room. my kids are older so I was able to give them the inside room - it worked out perfectly. can't imagine 4 people in the balcony room! have a great time.

Archived