CC observation

I have read thousands of threads here on Cruise Critic. One thing that I have noticed on many when giving negative reviews of ships is breakfast.

This observation is from reviews I've read on Carniavl and Royal, I've not visited any others.

The one thing when people complain is that there is no variety, that it's the same thing day after day for breakfast. I've sailed Carnival and RCCL and from what I've seen there is plenty variety. What are people expecting from breakfast? Trapeeze artists and flambe'?

Lets see....................

Buffet dining, main dining room, and limited menu from room service.

Eggs: Scrambled, fried and benedict. Omletes made to order.

Bacon, sausage, ham.

Smoked salmon with all the yummy trimmings.

Waffles, pancakes, pastries usually about 4-5 different kinds.

Fruits in abundance.

Cereals and oatmeal.

Help me out here folks, I know i'm missing some of your favorites.

What else do people want? What else is there for breakfast?

Must be one of those days, I read a ridiculous negative post about the Serenade and it just got my dander up, because there were only four different pastries to choose from every day.

I'm through, let the flames begin.

John

I share your observation. Despite the posts about the lack of variety at breakfast, I have yet to see anyone respond to requests that they suggest what more might be offered in order to satisfy them. At best they seem to complain about the lack of Eggs Benedict at the buffet but ignore the fact that they can get them in the main dining room. I also suspect that if you could examine the breakfasts that the complainers eat when they are back home, there would be far less variety in their selections than is available to them on a cruise ship.:rolleyes:

Grits - I love grits and restaurants here don't serve them, so I look forward to them every morning. You can have your eggs poached - at least in the DR - my favorite way. Oh, and the oatmeal has all kinds of toppings to choose from - nuts, raisins, brown sugar, yum!

Yogurt - several flavors. Croissants, assorted breads to toast, jams, peanut butter . . . .

What do people expect to have for breakfast anyway?

I agree! Any and everything I can imagine for breakfast food is there in some form or other!

And I don't understand why more folks don't utilize the dining room rather than the buffet---much more civilized and nice!

I never understood that either. They serve alot more than whats offered at my house. Breakfast is my favorite time to go to the WJ, because of the wide variety.

The frest fruit is the best because I do not have to wash it and cut it up.

Some people you just can't please.

I share your observation. Despite the posts about the lack of variety at breakfast, I have yet to see anyone respond to requests that they suggest what more might be offered in order to satisfy them. At best they seem to complain about the lack of Eggs Benedict at the buffet but ignore the fact that they can get them in the main dining room. I also suspect that if you could examine the breakfasts that the complainers eat when they are back home, there would be far less variety in their selections than is available to them on a cruise ship.:rolleyes:

I totally agree, if you visited these same people any normal home day they would be having coffee and cereal or some such and basically the same thing every day.

I go crazy on a cruise because of the variety to choose from and so little time

If there is smoked salmon, I'm happy with that on a bagel with cream cheese (prefer a vegetable cream cheese, but I'll settle!)

I don't usually eat breakfast - give me a chai latte and I'm good to go, but there is something about the sea air that really gets my appetite going!:)

Oh man, my mouth is literally watering.

OK, so i'm not crazy about this observation. So next time someone complains about variety during breakfast, i'm breaking out a flame thrower.

Smoked salmon, capers and onions with cream cheese, sitting by myself in the early a.m. at the back window looking out at sea...........ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, nice.

John

Never really noticed complaints about breakfast as a whole, just about the scrambled eggs in the WJ buffet. Just figured those people didn't want to wait in line at the eggs to order. station. My only complaint about breakfast is the milk. It tastes awful.

I am one who dislikes Royal Caribbean's breakfasts. Yes, there is a lot of choice, but they are all rather plain and unimaginative. My wife and I love going out for breakfast or brunch on weekends (on land) and there are so many places near us that have very creative, innovative menu options. I would love to see Royal put a specialty restaurant on some of their ships that features gourmet breakfasts/brunches. I am definitely willing to shell out some extra cash for 2-3 nice breakfasts during my cruise. Also, the poor quality coffee in the main dining room and Windjammer also detracts from the overall breakfast experience and ambiance.

Celebrity's breakfast buffet was much better in terms of having some more creative options aside from the typical fare. They have a dim sum area with selections such as steamed pork buns and dumplings. They have breakfast pizzas and breakfast quesadillas. They have made on the spot waffles that have much more flavor than the waffles on Royal. They also have specials each day such as banana bread french toast or what not, that are often quite good and definitely spice things up. The coffee sadly was even worse though on Celebrity. :mad:

The only issue I ever mentioned was the scrambled eggs in WJ, but we usually eat in the MD, so the WJ doesn't happen that often. I did notice, though I never mentioned it, was the removal of the whipped cream and strawberry compote for my French toast on the WJ, I rather enjoyed that and I miss it when eating there.

We missed the spinach and feta cheese omlettes we had on our Celebrity sailing. Mentioned it to our head witer in the DR who put a special request in for us. We had them in the MDR for breakfast the rest of the cruise. If there is anything you want that is not too out of the ordinary, ask and you will most likely be able to get it. Now that's what I call service! :p

I agree! Any and everything I can imagine for breakfast food is there in some form or other!

And I don't understand why more folks don't utilize the dining room rather than the buffet---much more civilized and nice!

ITA. Why wouldn't people enjoy sitting down and having the servers wait on them? More coffee, more juice, more cream, just sit there madam, I will get it for you.:):) The WJ reminds me of a school cafeteria, since I am a teacher. The worst being is when you have your food and you can't find an empty clean table.

I'm a happy camper as long as they have the fresh fruit. I try not to eat too many eggs, but I get them in the MDR, usually poached. I tend to eat a bigger breakfast when we are in port, that way I'm not starving on a tour.

I fell that people who complain about insignificant things either want attention or they can never be satisfied. If breakfast is not your thing in the Wj, go to the dinning room and just ask for what you want. I have never been denied any "reasonable" request.

Again maybe it is me - but is anyone happy to be able to cruise these days? I sure am.

Maybe we could just let them sign Panera Bread for the special breakfast restaurant onboard and let's get rid of Johnny Rockets! ;)

OK yall you got me to thinking about what other selections we would like to have for breakfast and here is some of our favorites from the Panera Bread site: :D

Baked Egg Soufflés

Available mornings only, while they last!

Turkey Sausage & Potato Turkey sausage, potatoes, chopped bell peppers, aged cheddar & Neufchatel cheeses, garnished with roasted red pepper strips. Spinach & Artichoke Spinach, Romano cheese, red peppers and artichoke hearts, lightly flavored with a hint of garlic & a dash of Tabasco®. Four Cheese Made with white cheddar, Romano, Parmesan and Neufchatel cheeses. Spinach & Bacon Spinach, cheddar cheese and bacon, enlivened with a dash of Tabasco®, a hint of garlic and a squeeze of lemon juice. Scones

Cinnamon Chip Made with flour, butter & brown sugar, studded with cinnamon chips, topped with cinnamon & sugar. Orange Made with flour, butter, brown sugar & orange peel, topped with orange icing. Wild Blueberry Overfilled with plump wild blueberries and cream. Specialty Pastries

Bear Claw Made with an almond filling, drizzled with icing & sliced almonds. Pastry Ring A fluted ring, baked with one fruit filling & our special-recipe cheese filling. French Croissant Our special croissant dough, baked in the traditional crescent shape. Sweet Rolls

Pecan Roll Our sweet dough with cinnamon-sugar filling, topped with caramel & pecans. Cobblestone Our Cinnamon Raisin bread dough mixed with chunks of apples and spices, topped with streusel and white icing. Let's not forget the bagels

Signature Bagels

Cinnamon Swirl & Raisin NEW! Our sourdough bagel sweetened with cinnamon chips, brown sugar & raisins swirled throughout. Asiago Cheese Chunks of Asiago cheese baked right in, with even more Asiago on top. Cinnamon Crunch Cinnamon and vanilla chips flavor the dough, topped with a sweet, crunchy shell of cinnamon & sugar. Dutch Apple & Raisin Chunks of apples, cinnamon, molasses & raisins baked inside, topped with sweet streusel. Blueberry Made with a mix of wild & cultured blueberries. Chocolate Chip Flavored with semisweet chocolate chips. French Toast Made with sweet maple-flavored & cinnamon chips.Freshly Baked Bagels

Everything Topped with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, garlic, toasted onion & kosher salt. Sesame Topped with nutty sesame seeds. Plain Lightly flavored with brown sugar and molasses. Whole Grain Made from whole spelt flour, millet, flaxseed & other wheat flours, sweetened with honey & topped with rolled oats.Flavorful Spreads

Cream Cheese Plain • Reduced-Fat Plain

Flavored Reduced Fat Cream Cheese:

Hazelnut • Honey Walnut • Raspberry

Sun-Dried Tomato • Veggie

Remember you did bring up the subject and now lets hope RCI is reading this post........well I may just drop them a hint!

ITA. Why wouldn't people enjoy sitting down and having the servers wait on them? More coffee, more juice, more cream, just sit there madam, I will get it for you.:):) The WJ reminds me of a school cafeteria, since I am a teacher. The worst being is when you have your food and you can't find an empty clean table.

The problem with the dining room at breakfast is it takes so long. I've never been able to get breakfast in under 45 minutes, even if I tell them I'm in a hurry. I like to get off the ship early either on my own or with an excursion so the dining room isn't an option except for sea days. If I eat in WJ, I can grab some fruit and be done in 20 minutes or less.

I do eat the same breakfast on the ship that I do at home ( raisin bran with skim milk and O.J.) but ( and a bit BUT) I do enjoy the fact that I can have fresh fruit that I did not have to cut up for the rest of the family to enjoy! I am not much for a big variety, but I do love that I don't have to prepare it, think about it, plan it, clean it up ( you get the drift) and I can enjoy it while looking at the ocean. Just bliss!!

I am another that is baffled by the "lack of variety at breakfast" complaint. My goodness, do these people have more options at home??? I am not a bacon eater, but I do eat it once or twice on a cruise because it is always so crispy, just the way I like it. And I am a big fan of the cut up fruit that I did not have to cut up.

At home I eat my little bowl of Cheerios and a banana and coffee every morning, so the WJ is a real treat for me.

OK, so i'm not crazy about this observation. So next time someone complains about variety during breakfast, i'm breaking out a flame thrower.

Smoked salmon, capers and onions with cream cheese, sitting by myself in the early a.m. at the back window looking out at sea...........ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, nice.

John

Yes! That's my favourite cruise breakfast too...I don't have that at home, so it's a great treat for me to have that almost every morning for breakfast.:D

John

What he said! Except I do like having my wife there with me.:p

Another nice thing about breakfast on a ship, I don't have to do the dishes! I have favorite meals in the MDR and some that are not my favorite but if the food is so bad and there are not alot of choices, why do I always gain a few lbs?

Archived