Only 3 courses?

Just received a large poster type advert from RC for the Brilliance in Dubai. I quote:

What's included: All onboard meals, with a great choice of dining options every day from 3 course fine dining to pizza parlours and buffet style cafes.

DH said it must be a typo and went off to find a proper brochure - same thing printed there.

We did notice on our last 2 cruises that the menu seemed to be set out slightly differently, giving the appearance of a choice of only 3 courses but we just went ahead and ordered our usual (well, not at home usual;)) app., soup, salad, main and dessert and so did all our tablemates. First-time cruisers though, might not think that is an option.

Another saving during difficult times?

Sue

I have been on 2 cruises with the RC now and the 1st one we didn't do the MDR at all. This year we did the MDR twice in the 5 nights and I didnt realise it was more than a 3 course meal neither did my table mates. Now that I know I might in Nov give it a whirl to have salad and a app as well as main course depending on how full I may be from lunch. :p

You can have one of everything if you want - they really don't care. Yes, I remember when they used to break it down into appetizer, soup, salad, main course, dessert - but that doesn't mean you are restricted, they've just lumped the appetizers/soups/salads into "starters."

You know, this is interesting now that you point it out. While you CAN order anything and as much as you want, the way the "new" menu is laid out, you tend to only order three things instinctively. I put new in quotes because it has been this way for many years now, but I remember when there literally were 5 courses listed. By listing it that way, one would tend to order 1 item from each, but this way, from my experiences, I have seen people order 4 courses most times. So, I do wonder if this was implemented back when as a cost saving measure.

In any event, of course the answer is you can order 10 courses if you want.

I remember the 5 courses, too--and I miss that! Unless the entire table orders the same way, it really throws off the service.

And, the selections are nowhere NEAR as varied as they used to be...too bad, because it was a wonderful menu---now, it's just so-so.

The menus haven't changed that much despite what some would claim. You can still order an appetizer, a soup, a salad, an entree and dessert and have a five course meal. The fact that they group the appetizers, soup and salad in one listing, the entrees and desserts separately doesn't change the number of items you can order and that is not even including ordering more than one of any or all of those items. When they grouped the items in five separate categories, many did not order one of each category so the argument that doiing so somehow messes up the dining order is flawed at best. In addition to the different items offered each evening, you should also be aware that there are certain basic items that are always available in addition to the featured offerings.:)

You know, this is interesting now that you point it out. While you CAN order anything and as much as you want, the way the "new" menu is laid out, you tend to only order three things instinctively. I put new in quotes because it has been this way for many years now, but I remember when there literally were 5 courses listed. By listing it that way, one would tend to order 1 item from each, but this way, from my experiences, I have seen people order 4 courses most times. So, I do wonder if this was implemented back when as a cost saving measure.

In any event, of course the answer is you can order 10 courses if you want.

I don't understand. If you go out to a restaurant, they have appetizers, soups, salads, entrees, deserts, etc listed. This does not mean that these are courses you have to order, one from column a, one from column b, etc. These are offerings on the menu and you can order what you please.

The ship menu is no different. I find it hard to believe that people are so naive that they don't know that they can order what they want off of the menu. It doesn't matter how many groups, or courses, they are divided in. And service has nothing to do with it. The waiters are trained to bring orders along in good time. I have never had to wait on an entree because someone ordered an extra appetizer.

If the menu is that complicated, eat in the Windjammer.

The menu is not complicated at all and I am sure no one who has responded to this thread thought it was:rolleyes:.

The whole point of my post was that RCI are now advertising their "3 course fine dining"

Sue

Perhaps it's a cultural thing taking into consideration this particular sailing. For the most part here in the UK, restaurant menus are laid out in just 3 main sections, Starters, Main Course & Dessert. There are sometimes options to add salad or substitute a salad for a starter.

I don't remember visiting a restaurant here in the UK where you would expect a 5 course meal unless specifically advertised. But as everyone has said, doesn't stop you ordering more I'm sure. I personally cannot eat a 5 course meal, unless 1 is a sorbet between courses and the last is coffee and mints!

I don't understand. If you go out to a restaurant, they have appetizers, soups, salads, entrees, deserts, etc listed. This does not mean that these are courses you have to order, one from column a, one from column b, etc. These are offerings on the menu and you can order what you please.

The ship menu is no different. I find it hard to believe that people are so naive that they don't know that they can order what they want off of the menu. It doesn't matter how many groups, or courses, they are divided in. And service has nothing to do with it. The waiters are trained to bring orders along in good time. I have never had to wait on an entree because someone ordered an extra appetizer.

That's far from the side thing. At a normal restaurant on shore you pay for each dish you want, of course you can order as many dishes as you want then! Since the meal is included in the cruisefare, they could have a three courses limit even if they don't!

You can order what you want but I think many new cruisers would assume they have 3 choices. Each night, our waiter would suggest an appetizer and entree, and later a dessert. The "Vitality Menu" lists 3 suggestions.

I do think it is cost saving.

My first night on our last cruise, I ordered Prime rib and the Indian selection (basically a 1/2 cup ramekin of vegetables) and my waiter said, "so ma'am, you want TWO entrees?? That is TWO entrees..." holding up 2 fingers. This was after they told us no Shirley Temples or orange soda for the soda card so I was off to a slow start in the MDR.

Of course it's cost saving. It's been this way for awhile now. YES, they still offer "A SALAD" but it used to be you had an assortment of salads to choose from just as you have an assortment of appetizers, entrees and desserts. Now salads occupy one line on the menu.....could you order a different one than the one listed..probably but they sure aren't pushing it.

When we want the salad we just order it, but it's obvious by watching that most tables don't, and that, of course, saves Royal $$...

Archived