Crown Princess - Does it really vibrate and roll so much?

lovevacadays

Is the buzz about rolling and movement on the Crown just an occassional thing or is there more to it? I've been on many cruises and now on some rougher seas days you are going to get motion so wondering if that is what everyone is talking about or is there really alot of "rolling" going on?

Is the buzz about rolling and movement on the Crown just an occassional thing or is there more to it? I've been on many cruises and now on some rougher seas days you are going to get motion so wondering if that is what everyone is talking about or is there really alot of "rolling" going on?

Sailed the Crown 3 times and one time out of NY we had 15-20 foot seas on the heels of a TS. The first 2 days it was rough but the Crown handled the seas very well with and without stabilizers. :)

I've been on the Crown twice (Baltic and British Isles cruises) and never felt any more motion or vibration than I did on other Grand-class ships. On our July British Isles cruise, we had a couple of Force 7 and Force 8 storms yet the ship handled it very well.

No matter what ship you're on, if the seas are rough, there'll be movement. And, one person's "rough" is another person's "smooth" so take any "buzz" about rolling and movement with a big grain of salt.

Last year, while on the Sapphire Princess, we had a very large Cruise Critic group and planned a brunch, which 187 people signed up for. Almost everyone was there and had a great time; I learned afterwards that a few people missed it because it was so "rough," they were huddled in their cabins, sick as dogs. We just went, "Huh?" and had absolutely no memory of any rough seas that day.

We've been on the Crown twice and it was very smooth, even last year when we couldn't tender into Princess Cays because of high waves, the ship was very stable. Not rocky at all.

Janette

Sometimes the 'buzz' is created by some that aren't expecting to feel any movement at all while onboard. Many times new cruisers who didn't realize that the ship is actually going to be moving. lol

Any ship, when in rough seas, is going to have some type of movement, doesn't matter what ship it is.

I wouldn't worry at all about this 'buzz' your reading about! ;)

Only once on the Crown I woke up in the middle of the night feeling a little sick. More than likely that was due to the previous day's rum consumption instead of ship movement :D

I agree with everyone above. All ships move to some extent, but there's nothing on the Crown of any concern.

I was concerned before going on Crown about "movement". One day it was too windy to go into Gran Turk but I only felt some small sensations of movement. The entire trip was smooth.

I have a friend that is scared to take a cruise due to a history of motion sickness. Each cruise I take a video of a water glass with the ice not moving and not listing then pan to the water as we cruise along.

Some trips can have bad weather but Crown is lovely.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have been on twelve cruises and never had any motion sickness problems (and know to expect movement on a ship since I'm not in a hotel as pointed out by Shogun) but am traveling with a first timer who was a little concerned because of some reviews. Just wanted to put her mind at ease cuz I want her to have a fantastic voyage.

We had a wonderful cruise on Crown during her first year of service. We did encounter a terrible storm during the cruise. I remember the rear elevators would not close because of the wind tunnel created by the opening and closing of exterior doors.

I think this ship is probably the tallest we've ever been on. DH thought it looked top heavy. We do think the NCL ships that are the same age appear to be long and narrow and not as high so they tend to handle rough seas without as much rocking.

On the other hand, this is a gorgeous ship and I would sail on her again in a heartbeat. Loved that cruise--except when we couldn't stop at Bermuda on our way back to New York. Those Bermuda harbormasters are very picky about letting ships enter even when the seas are not that rough. I guess they don't need the business as much as other islands. I've heard of other ships not visiting Bermuda because they were denied access by the Port.

Went on the Crown last Fall....the only time we felt anything was one night late and I was dancing in Nightwalkers lounge. The sea was pretty rough so I can only speculate that it was because of the high seas. Other than that...I didn't feel much motion and I am VERY pron to motion sickness.

Hi There,

No its a ship, so it movers a bit , makes strange noices etc.

if it did not it would be a hotel,

yours Shogun

I don't understand why people are always so concerned about movement on a ship at sea, If you cant stand some motion book a vacation at a land based resort.

anytime you have NO CONTROL of your balance,, you will always feel seasick.

slow roll, fast roll or big rolls. Your brains think of them all the same as one. Once you get sailors feet after a couple of days,, you'll be fine. just eat apples and if you get a really bad sickness, only use baby gravol. The adult gravol will knock you out and ruin your trip. Baby Gravol as a key Ingredient that other drugs do not have including regular gravol.

Good luck!

as to the high seas.

if your out in a storm, fast underwater currents like the Venezuelan Current, or just a plain windy day out in sea, its normal for any ship to roll with it. size of a ship does help but they all roll.

...if your out in a storm, fast underwater currents like the Venezuelan Current, or just a plain windy day out in sea, its normal for any ship to roll with it. size of a ship does help but they all roll.

Bit like the ship in this clip?

We were on a 12 day British Isles cruise on the Crown in July. I have never had an issue with motion sickness in the past. During the entire 12 day cruise, there was just one time -- for about 30 minutes -- when DH and I felt queasy. Unfortunately, it was during our first dinner at the Crown Grill. It was after we had sailed away from Cobh (headed for Dublin). It wasn't terrible, just enough to diminish our enjoyment of our dinner a little. Later in the cruise we ate at the Crown Grill again -- this time when the ship was docked in Belfast.

Fear of motion would not affect my decision to sail on the Crown again. For the right itinerary and right price, I would not hesitate.

Rude posters comment: don't understand why people are always so concerned about movement on a ship at sea, If you cant stand some motion book a vacation at a land based resort.

My comment back: Don't understand why people have to be so rude! If you looked at my later post I just wanted to address any "buzz" about unusual motion on this ship. Of course, there will be motion on a ship - everyone knows that. Just asking a question regarding people who had posted that they felt more motion on this Ship than others and wanting to put my first time cruiser friend's mind at ease.

I guess some have nothing better to do than search the boards for people they can be sarcastic to, correct their grammer, correct their spelling etc.

I am so thankful for people like CA Pam and Colo who allow people to ask questions without giving sarcastic answers. I always appreciate a nice, normal answer and insight to a question and hope I give the same in return to those who have questions and concerns about their cruise.

I was on the Crown last fall. I don't have issues with seasickness. The ship is lovely and I didn't really notice a lot of movement except for one thing. I had an aft cabin on Riviera and there was some jerking when the sea was rough. It would even wake me up at night. It didn't make me sick, but it was noticeable. Otherwise, everything was just fine.

Sailed the Crown 3 times and one time out of NY we had 15-20 foot seas on the heels of a TS. The first 2 days it was rough but the Crown handled the seas very well with and without stabilizers. :)

You’ve peaked my interest here. Are you saying there were times when the stabilizers were not deployed in relatively high seas?

Or was it a case of the ship moving at a slow speed where the stabilizers are less effective?

Thanks.

You’ve peaked my interest here. Are you saying there were times when the stabilizers were not deployed in relatively high seas?

Or was it a case of the ship moving at a slow speed where the stabilizers are less effective?

Thanks.

Your interest probably has peaked by now, but it was probably piqued when you posted.

After 2 or 3 cruises, most people become experts on ship operations - or they speak with a steward who knows less than nothing about the mechanical operations of a ship. In any case, they usually determine - with zero reliable information - how things really work. Usually they are wrong.

Most modern cruise ships today (at least the 29 I have worked on) keep their stabilizers out most of the time. Even in dead calm waters, a light wind can be an issue. Even with no wind, currents can cause problems. Many modern cruise ships have a rather high center of gravity (quite often caused by the numerous swimming pools on upper decks). Once the ship rolls a bit, the kinetic energy of all that moving water in the pools can be quite difficult to control. It is always reassuring to have the "fins" out to prevent that happening. Captains generally don't like using stabilizers, as the drag they produce slows the ship (by 0.5 to 1.0 knots) and consumes additional fuel. Many of the old timers think that stabilizers are like training wheels on a bicycle.

So if the ship rolls just slightly, the front desk receives many telephone calls from passengers who are convinced that: 1. The stabilizers are broken, or 2. The Captain has not put them out.

Archived