Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Hi Colin,:) normally the malls here in the states are open till about 9pm.

So....Sharon is saying they close earlier.....around 7pm.....that is

considered dinner time for many folks.

Thanks Lois, I just didn't know if it was early sitting or late sitting :D

Thanks Sharon. What do you mean by 'dinner time'. 7pm approx?

Ta!

Colin

Early seating, LOL! I said dinner time because it varies. Malls usually close between 5-7 PM on holidays if they are opened. They will be posting the holiday hours online by November.

I'm trying to book a hotel on or very near the beach for Feb. 1-3, before our cruise. We'll have a car, and I don't need a grocery or wine store. I know about the "big names" in Lauderdale, but can't really afford them. Any recommendations a bit further afield, like Delray, Deerfield, or Boca? We'll be visiting relativess in those places. Hoping to stay under $200/night.

Thanks.

OK, to add onto my own question - I just found the Noble House Pelican Grand Beach Resort. It looks fabulous - does anyone know anything about it? Is it as nice as it looks?

Thanks!

The Pelican Grand is a very nice boutique hotel on the beach. It's not a close walk to anything but with a car that doesn't matter. The beach there is very narrow, especially since Hurricane Sandy, but they are working on it.

Also check out Delray Beach Marriott and the new Residence Inn Marrriott in Pompano, close to Deerfield.

Edited by royalcruz

T

Also check out Delray Beach Marriott and the new Residence Inn Marrriott in Pompano, close to Deerfield.

Actually the Marriott Residence Inn has been in Pompano for some time. This summer the Marriott is opening the first "4 star" hotel in Pompano Beach (I live right down the block 7 months of the year :D) - google Marriott Hotel.

Actually the Marriott Residence Inn has been in Pompano for some time. This summer the Marriott is opening the first "4 star" hotel in Pompano Beach (I live right down the block 7 months of the year :D) - google Marriott Hotel.

Oh, sorry, I didn't notice it until the last couple of years. My friend's parents stayed there last year and really enjoyed it. My friend lives a few blocks south on A1A and thought the hotel was new.

Edited by royalcruz

Is it easy to get a taxi from most FLL hotels to the port? We are leaving on 1/20/2013 for a 2/1 cruise and will take a taxi from the airport to the hotel but wondered if we need to make prior arrangements for transportation from the hotel to the port? Our hotel Il Lugano Suites does not offer transportation.

Is it easy to get a taxi from most FLL hotels to the port? We are leaving on 1/20/2013 for a 2/1 cruise and will take a taxi from the airport to the hotel but wondered if we need to make prior arrangements for transportation from the hotel to the port? Our hotel Il Lugano Suites does not offer transportation.

Very easy......cabs are plentiful all over the place......you could have

the front desk get you one when you are ready to go....

And to be honest, I don't even care about looking for hotels that offer

transportation......a cab is just the quicker way to go;)

Very easy......cabs are plentiful all over the place......you could have

the front desk get you one when you are ready to go....

And to be honest, I don't even care about looking for hotels that offer

transportation......a cab is just the quicker way to go;)

Thanks so much. My thoughts exactly. That's what we did in Miami this past Feb. and it worked out just great. A hotel with transportation is never on the top of my list as I'm usually looking for some place unique to stay.

Like Lois said, taxis are no problem. While you are there, some good restaurants to walk to are Lucca, Greek Islands Taverna, and La Dolce Vita. Julian's is good for breakfast. Cafe Martarano is also very popular for dinner but too noisy for my taste.

The Pelican Grand is a very nice boutique hotel on the beach. It's not a close walk to anything but with a car that doesn't matter. The beach there is very narrow, especially since Hurricane Sandy, but they are working on it.

Thanks! I booked it provisionally since I could get it for just under $200, but it's a cancellable fee, so I'll keep looking. :)

I find this interesting since we booked this back in May for a night in January 2014 (1/17/13). When DH called them, they quoted him a price of an expensive limosine ($45) to get us to port. We plan to get a taxi.

-Rose

I find this interesting since we booked this back in May for a night in January 2014 (1/17/13). When DH called them, they quoted him a price of an expensive limosine ($45) to get us to port. We plan to get a taxi.

-Rose

A taxi will cost about $30 plus tip, from airport to Il Lugano, and a little less to port.

Edited by royalcruz

We are going on a B2B with the Allure leaving Mar 16, 2014. This will be the first time with Royal and the first time down to FLL. We are veterans in and around MCO but never been down to FLL.

We will be arriving the day before into MIA and will likely rent a car fo ra day and need a decent hotel that is near the good mall (Galleria, is it?) and maybe a good upper end restaurant for that Sat night when we arrive.

We will have two kids (7 and 11) so a good pool is high on the list. What are people suggesting these days?

• Embassy Suites?
  • Marriot Courtyard?
  • ???

Thanks for the input.

Also, need info or ideas for car service (like a limo??) from Port to FLL. We will likely take a cab there from the hotel the day of, but upon our return to Port would taking a cab back to FLL be OK? Do I need to reserve that?

Edited by Gumbey

A taxi will cost about $30 plus tip, from airport to Il Lugano, and a little less to port.

Yes, I have figured that out from all your wonderful info you have been posting. Believe me, I have actually read most of the posts (starting back in May) and have gotten a lot of wonderful info to consider from you. I have sent for info thru the Sunny website - map & vacation playbook.

We will be cruising on HAL until the 17th - take a taxi to Il Lugano from the port, spend the night - washing some things since they have the laundry facility in the room. Then leave for the Oasis on the 18th. Unless we find someone to share the limo with (& if they still offer it!) we will take a taxi back to the port. I will look up the taxi number that you have repeatly given on this thread. Thanks so much for all your help and info. I will continue to read this thread until our cruises in January :).

-Rose

We are going on a B2B with the Allure leaving Mar 16, 2014. This will be the first time with Royal and the first time down to FLL. We are veterans in and around MCO but never been down to FLL.

We will be arriving the day before into MIA and will likely rent a car fo ra day and need a decent hotel that is near the good mall (Galleria, is it?) and maybe a good upper end restaurant for that Sat night when we arrive.

We will have two kids (7 and 11) so a good pool is high on the list. What are people suggesting these days?

• Embassy Suites?
  • Marriot Courtyard?
  • ???

Thanks for the input.

Also, need info or ideas for car service (like a limo??) from Port to FLL. We will likely take a cab there from the hotel the day of, but upon our return to Port would taking a cab back to FLL be OK? Do I need to reserve that?

The only hotel by Galleria Mall is Doubletree Gallery One. They have a decent pool, and they offer suites perfect for families. The upper end restaurants on that block are Truluck, Capital One, Texas de Brazil, and Seasons 52 (this one is more mid-priced). They are all chains but very nice. About 1/3 mile west is Canyon, southwestern fine dining, and less than a mile away on US1 is Casa de Angelo. If the weather is nice, Coconuts (waterfront) is casual but excellent, about 2 miles away in the beach area (has valet). It's very easy to get a taxi at the hotel and at the port.

Hello! Thanks for all the wonderful info! Wondering if there is a restaurant or bar on water in FLL where one can watch the cruise ships sail off? Thanks!

There aren't any restaurants or bars by the port. You can watch the ships sail in the distance from Quarterdeck in Dania Beach, or from these in Fort Lauderdale: Lulu's Bait Shack, Oasis, Bubba Gumps, H2O, Level at Marriott Harbor Beach, or others along the beachfront.

Yes, I have figured that out from all your wonderful info you have been posting. Believe me, I have actually read most of the posts (starting back in May) and have gotten a lot of wonderful info to consider from you. I have sent for info thru the Sunny website - map & vacation playbook.

We will be cruising on HAL until the 17th - take a taxi to Il Lugano from the port, spend the night - washing some things since they have the laundry facility in the room. Then leave for the Oasis on the 18th. Unless we find someone to share the limo with (& if they still offer it!) we will take a taxi back to the port. I will look up the taxi number that you have repeatly given on this thread. Thanks so much for all your help and info. I will continue to read this thread until our cruises in January :).

-Rose

Rose, that sounds like a fabulously long vacation...have a great one! The Il Lugano rooms are really cool. My friend stayed there and it was like a studio home away from home. If you get a high floor on the east side of the building you will be able to see the ocean.

The only hotel by Galleria Mall is Doubletree Gallery One. They have a decent pool, and they offer suites perfect for families. The upper end restaurants on that block are Truluck, Capital One, Texas de Brazil, and Seasons 52 (this one is more mid-priced). They are all chains but very nice. About 1/3 mile west is Canyon, southwestern fine dining, and less than a mile away on US1 is Casa de Angelo. If the weather is nice, Coconuts (waterfront) is casual but excellent, about 2 miles away in the beach area (has valet). It's very easy to get a taxi at the hotel and at the port.

Thanks for the info!

//////////////

I have been quiet for the past couple of months. I have a blog about all things Ft Lauderdale that I made a promise to myself would be updated daily. Instead, I have been kind of busy with my other life outside of the States, and have neglected it. I'm back and making sure that any new updates get posted there timely. Questions...fire away.

Bequia

////////////

I've read pages of threads and still don't know of a good hotel with free parking, so I'm asking now.

We will be flying in 3 days before our cruise and renting a car to explore the area. We don't need a room on the beach or even on 17th st. because we will have a car and can drive to where we want to go:)

Can you recommend a clean, nice hotel that has free parking? I'd rather spend my money on something else:)

Thanks,,,,,,,,Mary

We are staying at Alhambra Beach Resort. We're sailing on the Allure on 8/18. We're flying in Friday afternoon and our cruise leaves on Sunday morning. Our party consists of me (46), DH(43), DD(11) and parents (70).

I hadn't planned on renting a car. We figured we would just take a taxi from the airport to the hotel and do the same going to the port. I assumed we could just hang out at the nearby beach or at the hotel pool. However, now I'm second guessing myself.

None of us have ever been to Ft. Lauderdale. Is there something we should see while in town that would appeal to everyone? Also, will there be enough reasonably priced food options within walking distance? Would we be better off renting a car?