Evening Dress

Does RCCL still require the formal, semi-formal and casual evening dress requirements? I thought I had read some where they have changed to only two, formal and casual. I just called the C & A desk and they said formal, semi-formal and casual. When we were on the Explorer Of the Seas March 2009 all three were recommended.

If you're on a longer cruise (10 nights or so) they will have a "smart casual" evening. I could discern little difference between "smart casual" and casual....there were a few men in jackets and ties, but most were still in golf-type shirts. The women look more "smart" than "casual" almost every night....heels, nice tops, nice slacks, capris, or skirt/dresses...Hey..we like to be noticed!

I think it also has to do with where you are cruising. They keep it to formal and casual in the Caribbean and Mexico, usually, but dress it up more for other locations. I know on our long cruises coming up we have quite a few smart casual nights. I agree with cb, though, it's more an issue with men than women. We tend to dress nicely because it's a "night out". I know that I am now taking several jersey/lycra knit dresses. They can be used for casual or smart casual. (Sales at Ross.....got two for $18 a piece!!).

When we were on Grandeur 10 night last November....they SNUCK 2, yes 2 smart casual nights into the itinerary. For some silly reason I wasn't really expecting them and we were riding down the elevator to dining room with a woman in dark hose and heels and her husband in a sport coat.

I said, "Oh, it's a smart casual night, isn't it?"

She said, "YES, didn't you read your compass?"

"No...only about when the trivia challenge was. You look very nice though"

And she snapped, "You don't!"

We exited around then, and fortunately they were not members of our friendly and fun table mates. So, they do still sneak them in on Caribbean cruises. We do follow the dress code, but not to the precise extent that we used to. :D:)

When we were on Grandeur 10 night last November....they SNUCK 2, yes 2 smart casual nights into the itinerary. For some silly reason I wasn't really expecting them and we were riding down the elevator to dining room with a woman in dark hose and heels and her husband in a sport coat.

We exited around then, and fortunately they were not members of our friendly and fun table mates. So, they do still sneak them in on Caribbean cruises. We do follow the dress code, but not to the precise extent that we used to. :D:)

OMG, Patti, how ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!!!!!!

You should have looked back at her and said, "you look nice, but you don't act it."

Wear what you want, too. :D

It was so funny Peggy...I had on white capris, sandals, tropical print collared shirt. Bill was wearing a polo shirt and Dockers. We weren't underdressed for dinner.....It wasn't "smart casual" but it wasn't inappropriate either. We just sort of looked at each other and shrugged and smiled. :D:):D

She must have been a member of "The Clothes Police". You should have asked to see her badge!;)

It was so funny Peggy...I had on white capris, sandals, tropical print collared shirt. Bill was wearing a polo shirt and Dockers. We weren't underdressed for dinner.....It wasn't "smart casual" but it wasn't inappropriate either. We just sort of looked at each other and shrugged and smiled. :D:):D

It really would have been enjoyable to be seated at her table to aggravate her throughout the meal. People like that deserve it. ;)

Oh, I would have LAUGHED IN HER FACE. :D

What I said very quietly as we went our own way into the dining room was "Thank goodness they're not sitting at our table" along with another choice and not so kind comment. :D:)

With the new packing restrictions, we sort of ignore "smart casual". Even if I had noted it on the suggested dress for the evening, it is unlikely that we would have altered what we chose to wear. It was a little strannge to have someone comment directly to us about it...but no big deal. Of course, that's why it sticks out. The vast majority of people are so friendly. :D

pbhunt, The lady you ran into was nothing but plain rude. I just amazes me how some people act. I don't know if she was on the fall repo cruise or not, but I wanted to quote two things from the Compass of that cruise ---- " Attire: Smart Casual - Dresses or slacks and bouses for women; sport shirts and trousers for men." "Attire: Casual - Dresses or slacks for women; sports shirts and trousers for men."

Do you see any difference? Neither did I. It was repeated that way throughout the entire cruise. I dressed pretty much the same way every night except for the formals.

I guess in that lady's mind if she wasn't right, no one was.

Archived