Disappointed With Complimentary Drink List

MAGSMFC

We've seen Azamara cruise prices increase since the refit and yet people want prices to increase further to fund a better drinks package - it's always the consumer who pays. If you want what isn't complimentary, perhaps buy an upgrade package, which is incrementally priced, or pay as you go. This is what we do. Each cruise there are plenty of people happy to go with the complimentary drinks, despite the limited choices.

I guess it depends what your regular drinks of choice are. We're very happy with Scotch, Gin & Tonic and wine, so are happy with the included drinks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've seen Azamara cruise prices increase since the refit and yet people want prices to increase further to fund a better drinks package - it's always the consumer who pays. If you want what isn't complimentary, perhaps buy an upgrade package, which is incrementally priced, or pay as you go. This is what we do. Each cruise there are plenty of people happy to go with the complimentary drinks, despite the limited choices.

I think what is being said here is that with the recent price rises the drinks package should be reviewed to match the current price point.

I don't think anyone is asking for top shelf brands just a more comprehensive selection, whiskey drinkers have a selection, gins are fine but only one white rum and no dark rum or brandy? Even for a cheap drink like ouzo you pay extra.

Wine selection for us is fine just a wider selection of included spirits would be apreciated.

Perhaps someone at Azamara should look at the complementary drinks on the more mainstream lines like Norwegian and Thomson, and that may perhaps prompt Azamara to up their game. No Brandy, horrible Scotch, only white rum, rubbish beer, sparkling wine instead of even Prosecco, no Baileys etc. etc. Even the suite "freebies" are not as good as previously.

It really isn't good enough for a cruise line that aspires to be deluxe.

If that isn't enough have a good look at Seabourn, because Azamara prices are creeping towards them.

Remember that the customer always always has a choice, and there is lots of competition out there.

The costs would be nothing in the scale of things to keep us all on board!!

I agree with a lot of this.

I have going on for ages about the inequality of after dinner drinks, (I'm sure everyone is totally fed up with me but, if it helps to get things changed - great!).

If you want a scotch or a G & T you are very well catered for, if you want a brandy, you have to pay.

There are many brandies out there that are really acceptable but, do not cost that much to buy, e.g. Spanish & Greek brandy, so why can they not be included?

Perhaps someone will eventually take notice.

I am however reminded of the quote by John Lydgate that was later adapted by Abraham Lincoln on this one

"You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time."

I am however reminded of the quote by John Lydgate that was later adapted by Abraham Lincoln on this one

"You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time."

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am heartened by responses.

No one wants ultra expensive malts, Famous Grouse or Teachers whisky, Mount Gay rum, Metaxa or Soberano brandy for example, and a nice Cava or Prosecco. No increased costs for Azamara, and an opportunity to clear out some of the odd brands which no one drinks. Surely someone looks at the brand throughput!!

I know a major Scotch Whisky MD who would jump at the chance to supply at sensible prices.

Also agree about mixers, Royal Club is appalling, Schweppes or Fevertree provides a superb G&T.

We have been cruising with Azamara since pre "all inclusive" days, which to be honest we preferred, and the subject as discussed has been raised on board ad infinitum and apres cruise, to which the response is to blame Miami.

Perhaps time for Miami to take action and react to the comments from Azamara supporters, and regular cruisers.

These sorts of genuine comments, would be very expensive to obtain by market research.

When we last cruised on Princess, which also allows pax to bring their own alcohol on board, we carried on a case of wine and a bottle of my husband's special tequila. Since wine was not included in the fare on Princess, about half those bottles were basic stuff that we drank on our balcony along with the apps we'd order from room service each evening. The other 6 bottles were special and a bit pricey, and we entrusted them to the restaurant captain on the first day. We happily paid the $10 corkage fee to enjoy those wines which would have been far out of our budget with the cruise line mark-up. On the last evening, our waiter told us that we'd been the envy of the dining room all week! (ps: there were 6 of us. We didn't drink it all ourselves. Not saying that we couldn't have, just that we didn't ;p)

With respect to the tequila, when DH wanted a margarita, he would go to the bar and ask for a glass of margarita mix on the rocks and mix his own. Yes, that meant he had to go back to the room but it was worth it to him. He contemplated carrying it in a take-away cup but I put my foot down.

That must've been a long time ago. Princess hasn't allowed alcohol to be brought onboard for a very long time - for at least 9-10 years. And, you can only bring one bottle of wine per person. The corkage fee has been $15 per bottle for quite a long time too. Azamara's corkage fee of $10 per bottle is very reasonable.

2011 it was still allowable to bring wine onboard Princess, (more than 1 bottle per person) as we brought aboard quite a bit for our Black Sea cruise on Pacific Princess.... (we cruised Azamara because we love those R class ships!!)

I am heartened by responses.

No one wants ultra expensive malts, Famous Grouse or Teachers whisky, Mount Gay rum, Metaxa or Soberano brandy for example, and a nice Cava or Prosecco. No increased costs for Azamara, and an opportunity to clear out some of the odd brands which no one drinks. Surely someone looks at the brand throughput!!

I know a major Scotch Whisky MD who would jump at the chance to supply at sensible prices.

Also agree about mixers, Royal Club is appalling, Schweppes or Fevertree provides a superb G&T.

We have been cruising with Azamara since pre "all inclusive" days, which to be honest we preferred, and the subject as discussed has been raised on board ad infinitum and apres cruise, to which the response is to blame Miami.

Perhaps time for Miami to take action and react to the comments from Azamara supporters, and regular cruisers.

These sorts of genuine comments, would be very expensive to obtain by market research.

I totally agree, I also preferred the early days, reasonable cruise prices and paying for the drinks you enjoy.

I know that those days are gone forever, more the pity.

Edited by Bloodaxe
Add comments

I totally agree, I also preferred the early days, reasonable cruise prices and paying for the drinks you enjoy.

I know that those days are gone forever, more the pity.

Those days are gone because Azamara was losing money at those "reasonable" fares. If they hadn't raised fares the cruise line would now be "gone forever." Fares went up not because they added drinks. Drinks were added because at the price point required in order to survive, drinks would be expected.

Agree that we are where we are. I have sailed with Azamara when no alcohol was included, when wine was introduced and obviously now with the complimentary products. I have liked all the brand's changes but agree that now might be the time to add a few more drinks to the list. A brandy, sherry, dark rum and a liqueur or two wouldn't affect the bottom line much with RCCL's buying power and would make a lot of guests very happy.

After all on quite a few sailings prices are almost matching those of the true luxury lines where virtually all drinks are included.

2011 it was still allowable to bring wine onboard Princess, (more than 1 bottle per person) as we brought aboard quite a bit for our Black Sea cruise on Pacific Princess.... (we cruised Azamara because we love those R class ships!!)

We also cruised Princess in 2011.

I have to ask about your screen name: Are you a Hoya + Tarheel family? (I'm a Hoya...)

Don't know if this is a reasonable idea as it affects revenue, purchasing and inventory, but could there be a series of 6 month periods in which products suggested by cruisers could be temporarily added to the complimentary list. The suggestions might come from CC (although that is a small group), social media polling or from choices provided on the post cruise survey.

This, perhaps, would allow a variety of temporary choices to be added, choices that reflect the votes of a large number of AZ cruisers.

It would also reflect the willingness of AZ to listen to its customers and generate some excitement in what I would expect to be some interesting "campaigns".

Are you a Hoya + Tarheel family? (I'm a Hoya...)

Yes, Hoya undergrad, have been a Heel since 1998 (never finished my PhD but am happy enough to live in the Tarheel state, and I liked the alliteration of the username:hearteyes:)

Yes, Hoya undergrad, have been a Heel since 1998 (never finished my PhD but am happy enough to live in the Tarheel state, and I liked the alliteration of the username:hearteyes:)

Another Hoya here!

If I were going to be able to drink on this cruise if I had 6 drinks that would be pushing it. I am having Bariatric surgery next month so alcohol will be a no no for a very long while.

Sooooooooo my point is there are a lot of people that don;t drink anything at all or very little. When I sell my ads I tell the client you must advertise to the greater masses. Meaning in this case if they gave you guys the few types of alcohol you are asking for they would be appealing to the greater masses AND make up the money used on people that don;t drink or drink very little

Kathy

Azamara does listen. I was one of many who kept posting on this board about sparkling wine being included and then lo and behold only a few weeks before our very first Azamara cruise it was added and boy were we happy! So keep it up everyone. Azamara's price point is bumping up against Seabourn and Silversea (we have sailed both) especially 2019 sailings so they'd be smart to consider expanding the beverage offerings a bit.

We will be going on a cruise on the Journey later this year and I have been looking at the complimenary drink list and note Baileys is not included and I would have to pay nearly $22 per day to have a drink that I always drink. This is very annoying as Baileys is not expensive and feel aggrieved about it. The other drinks that I also drink is sherry and port and these are also drinks that you have to pay extra for.

Can anyone advise me if it will be cheaper to buy these drinks by the glass.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Bring your own bottle!

My intention was to upgrade to the top drinks package but I have to say that now I'm actually here the drinks are really good . With the exception of Baileys I haven't felt deprived at all and the bar staff are keen to mix any combination I suggest . Will upgrade during the last few days just to use up the OBC

My intention was to upgrade to the top drinks package but I have to say that now I'm actually here the drinks are really good . With the exception of Baileys I haven't felt deprived at all and the bar staff are keen to mix any combination I suggest . Will upgrade during the last few days just to use up the OBC

Glad you are happy. As you have found the bar staff are happy to mix any combination for you.

Believe you may be staying on for the following cruise. If so, see you at the weekend 😄

Hello CruiseCrew123, so glad you're happy with our drinks! Enjoy! :wine-glass::cocktail::tropical-drink::beer-mug::whiskey-glass::champagne-toast:

Glad to hear things are good with you on board. The bar staff are very obliging and are happy to rustle up requests off the included drinks menu which is pretty solid. It would only require a couple of minor tweaks to cover most tastes. Soon to embark again and looking forward again to the Azamara friendship and experience.