Euros - best thing to do

cellfree

Cruising out of Barcelona and plan to spend a couple days there prior to cruise.

What/where is the best thing to do when converting US dollars to Euros?

Or, how necessary is it to do? Can credit cards be widely used - cabs, restaurants, etc.?

When I went to Italy I used the ATM to withdraw Euros to use as cash. I plan on doing the same in Barcelona.

Check with your bank and make sure of the cost. I think mine was a 1% fee. It was much cheaper then using a service.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

What is best to do is what is most comfortable. No need to travel with lots of cash. Credit cards work most places and ATMs are plentiful. That said, I usually arrive with some euros in my pocket to keep me from having to rush to an ATM when we arrive. The convenience is worth a buck or two on the conversion.

This is my first time traveling to Europe so I'm looking for some tips and tricks as well when it comes to currency and exchange to Euros. (I've heard all about the pick pockets just need some advice on exchanging currency).

Do most restaurants/bars take credit cards?

Where would you say is the best place to exchange currency, where the rate is the lowerst? In the US or in Barcelona?

I will be purchasing the bulk of what i need from my local bank at home, all my excursions are booked and will be paid in Euros once we dock at each port so i don't want to be running around trying to find ATM machines to convert monies.

This is my first time traveling to Europe so I'm looking for some tips and tricks as well when it comes to currency and exchange to Euros. (I've heard all about the pick pockets just need some advice on exchanging currency).

Do most restaurants/bars take credit cards?

Where would you say is the best place to exchange currency, where the rate is the lowerst? In the US or in Barcelona?

The best exchange rate is using your ATM card in Barcelona to obtain euros. Even better if your card is one that does not charge a foreign conversion fee or a charge for using an ATM. However, even if you don't have a card that does that, ATMs are still slightly cheaper (and much more convenient) than other routes.

ahem.... if you don't have a card... I seriously doubt ATM's is the way to go: no card, no money. Let's remember ATM = Automatic Teller Machine, that is, the automatic cashiers, so if you don't have a card to insert into the machine you can't operate. Period.

Anyway, actually, in my experience the best rate has always been in bank branches, especially those of Banc de Sabadell and also Caixabank, Santander and BBVA -which happen to be the biggest banks over here. Yet the option to use ccard for payments is also sound, if (and only if) you make sure you do the payments in Euros, not in US$. Let your bank make the conversion, not the store you're buying in... it'll always be more favourable to you.

Edited by EnricM

I think most folk on this thread are agreed

- use your credit card when possible, and that's most places. I suspect also some taxis, more & more taxis in Europe accept cards but most charge a convenience fee.

- Yes, I've noticed that nowadays some places offer to bill your card provider in the currency of the card rather than local currency - and, as Lawhouse's post, you should decline that offer since your card provider will give you a far better exchange rate.

Incidentally the same applies with cruise lines such as Brits or Canuks on a USD ship, or Brits, Canuks and Americans on euro ships like Costa and MSC.

- you should carry some local cash, for small purchases & for occasions when cards aren't accepted.

Best value will be from an ATM at the destinations, but having some in your pocket when you arrive gives peace-of-mind. With several days in Barcelona and doubtless other euro ports, best to have a decent stack.

Especially if you plan to travel abroad a few times, do consider getting a card that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee.

JB :)

Everyone is different but we do agree on the good ole plastic:D.......I used a Capital One VISA........no foreign

transaction fees on purchases. So that is my card for travel (well, I use it here at home too;)). As for the Euro

question.....that one always varies on the person and what people feel comfortable doing (or not). I know I am

in the minority and yes, it costs me more but my comfort factor is what is important to me.....I get my Euros here

at home before I leave. The local Wells Fargo will exchange currency so I go to them. Yes, it may cost me more,

but I just factor it in....but it is now done.:)....I leave for Barcelona next month:D

If taking a lot of cash, be sure to take appropriate steps to foil pickpockets. Do not carry money (or anything else of value, e.g., passports, credit cards) in exterior pockets -- not back OR front or even zip-up pockets. Best to use a money pocket or pouch that will go inside your clothing for all but a small amount for purchases. Leave anything not needed (extra credit cards, extra cash) onboard your ship or in your safe.

I was pickpocketed in Barcelona -- they are very good. They took my wallet from my zipped crossbody purse that was under my arm! (And I never noticed when it happened...)

If taking a lot of cash, be sure to take appropriate steps to foil pickpockets. Do not carry money (or anything else of value, e.g., passports, credit cards) in exterior pockets -- not back OR front or even zip-up pockets. Best to use a money pocket or pouch that will go inside your clothing for all but a small amount for purchases. Leave anything not needed (extra credit cards, extra cash) onboard your ship or in your safe.

I was pickpocketed in Barcelona -- they are very good. They took my wallet from my zipped crossbody purse that was under my arm! (And I never noticed when it happened...)

They got your crossbody bag?......:eek:.....I will have to re-think what to do in Barcelona then.....(what to carry).........

• 2 weeks later...
ahem.... if you don't have a card... I seriously doubt ATM's is the way to go: no card, no money. Let's remember ATM = Automatic Teller Machine, that is, the automatic cashiers, so if you don't have a card to insert into the machine you can't operate. Period.

Anyway, actually, in my experience the best rate has always been in bank branches, especially those of Banc de Sabadell and also Caixabank, Santander and BBVA -which happen to be the biggest banks over here. Yet the option to use ccard for payments is also sound, if (and only if) you make sure you do the payments in Euros, not in US$. Let your bank make the conversion, not the store you're buying in... it'll always be more favourable to you.

What? None of the posts said anything about NOT having a cr card or an ATM card. Not sure why you posted the first part of your message.

Interesting post. We find its not nearly impossible to travel without having a credit card...and ATM cards are becoming so darn important that we now carry 3 different ATM cards...all drawn on different banks/accounts. Consider: try to rent a car without a major credit card, try to purchase airline tickets without a major credit card, try to buy gas (late at night) without a major credit card. And we would add that many European banks have now stopped doing cash exchange...except for their own customers (some won't even do it for their customers).

We actually had a neighbor ask us if there was any way to buy an airline ticket on Southwest Airlines (a very popular US Airline) without a credit card. After thinking about it the only way was for them to drive nearly 2 hours to the nearest airport office that has that airline and purchase a ticket with cash at their counter. But if they do this, it will "flag" them in the computer system and they can expect "enhanced" attention from the TSA security folks. And once you are on that airline (or most other airlines) and want to buy a drink or snack....you must have a credit card as they do not accept cash! And have you ever tried to book a cruise reservation without a credit card?

Hank

WE got our Euro's from local bank in Texas got a decent rate, used credit cards for almost all restaurants , check credit cards and make sure you have one without foreign transaction fee , also took a money belt. Loved Barcelona found it very cheap to eat and drink compared to most other large cities

For those of you that use your debit card in ATMs in Barcelona to take out cash, which banks are your debit cards from? Those that don't charge fees? I have Wells Fargo and I know they charge fees so I was wondering which debit card would work good out of country?

For those of you that use your debit card in ATMs in Barcelona to take out cash, which banks are your debit cards from? Those that don't charge fees? I have Wells Fargo and I know they charge fees so I was wondering which debit card would work good out of country?

Most debit cards will work out of the country as long as your debit card has a Visa, Plus, Cirrus, Star, etc logo on the card. You should always notify (in advance) your card issuing bank of your trip itinerary (this prevents security issues in their system). As far as fees, DW and I have 4 Debit Cards (between us) of which 3 have zero fees for use out of the country (although Visa International does build a 1% exchange fee into the exchange rate). For those that do business with banks that charge ridiculous fees...we say you get what you deserve :). Consumers rule with their dollars...and when we support bank fees...that is what we get. There are plenty of smaller banks and Credit Unions that have fee-free cards. As to Wells Fargo.....well after their last big time scam (for which they fired over 5300 employees) we are amazed that folks still deal with that organization.

Hank

Okay let's try this again, this time without the judgement (I bank with who I want to bank, please refrain from judging, I just asked a simple question).....Those of you that use debit cards abroad, which debit cards do you guys use that won't charge fees for using ATM's that are outside your network? especially international ATMs? I know any debit card will work but they charge fees, especially international. I would like to maybe open an account with a bank or credit union for when we travel that won't charge fees when taking money from an ATM that is not in your network. Just wondering if there are any banks or credit unions that won't charge fees?

Charles Schwab Bank is the best for international. No atm fees anywhere in the world and they will refund those charged by the ATM up to $30 per month. I opened an account just for international traveling

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I've heard good things about Charles Schwab, my only question is it says you have to open up a brokerage account in order to open a checking account. Do you know if you have to use that brokerage account? or can I just let it be and just use the checking portion of it?