ABC's ExcursionsW

Banana15

I've read a lot about the risk in booking outside the ship...is that a legitimate concern or not really?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hmmm then i guess we are big risk takers since we have been doing our own thing or booking private tours (on 6 continents) for over thirty-five years and more then 100 cruises :). If you are booking private tours with reputable providers...you have little to fear. In fact, we have never heard of anyone missing their ship because of a private tour operator (I supposed it has happened, but do not know of a single case). Going off on your own is a different issue as one needs to use some common sense in planning independent travel days. We have often gone over hundred miles from our port (mostly in Europe) without a care in the world. That being said, common sense does dictate that if you are going that far...you should have a "Plan B" in case something goes horribly wrong. In Europe that would usually mean knowing how to catch-up to the ship at the following port.

But we are talking about the Caribbean....and A,B C islands. We have driven rental cars all over Aruba and Curacao (on port days) with no concerns.. As to private tours, we would have absolutely no concern. Somebody mentioned the "Woodward" which is a wonderful private snorkel tour (Bonaire) operated by the lovely Dee and her husband Ulf. We have taken this tour 3 times (we just booked them for a 4th time for this coming Dec) and love their operation. They run a very professional snorkel excursion and have been taking cruise ship passengers for many years. In fact, if you want to go with Dee...you had best book far in advance because her tours always fill-up.

Hank

Gotta disagree; much more risky taking a cruise ship excursion. Near 100% chance of overpaying. Near 100% chance of being over-crowded. Very high chance of an inferior experience. No chance to customize. Booking an independent tour with a reputable company results in a minuscule risk of missing the ship - on all my time on Cruise Critic I don't recall a single thread about someone on a private tour missing the ship (but have seen a thread where people on a excursion booked via the cruise line missed the ship).

The one thing that is guaranteed is that if the excursion is booked through the ship and it's running late the ship will not leave without you!! Having had that experience (thankfully we booked through the ship) I wouldn't want it to happen again. I would consider something private if it was early in the morning and lasted only a couple of hours so I still had plenty of time before sailing. I tried to book Woodwind for our upcoming cruise, but unfortunately they only had the afternoon available 1-5. We have to be on board by 5:30 so if something happened and we were stuck on the water somewhere we would definitely miss our ship. I know everyone's experiences are different, but after 25 years of cruising we prefer to stick with the ship sponsored excursions and have never been disappointed.

The one thing that is guaranteed is that if the excursion is booked through the ship and it's running late the ship will not leave without you!!

This is completely false. While they are more likely to wait for a delayed excursion booked through the cruise line, it is not always feasible (or even permissible) for the ship to wait.

This is completely false. While they are more likely to wait for a delayed excursion booked through the cruise line, it is not always feasible (or even permissible) for the ship to wait.

Not going to argue with you. Just going by what I have personally experienced as well as what the cruise lines have told us.

Just a little true story. I have posted thousands of posts on the CC port boards, primarily for those wanting to do European ports on their own. About 5 years ago we were on a Med cruise and a couple came up to me at the Meet and Greet, said they recognized my name from CC...and asked if I could help them plan their independent days. They further explained that they had booked ship excursions in each port...and realized that the total cost of the excursions actually exceeded the cost of the entire cruise! So I spent hours of my time giving them very detailed info on each port. Towards the end of the cruise I ran into that same couple and they explained that they had "chickened out" and did take all the cruise line excursions. Those folks had a very low tolerance for risk, so for them, there was no option but to take cruise line excursions (which they told us they did not enjoy). So ever since chatting with that couple I have changed my attitude. Now, when folks ask me for help I am always willing to take the time. But if they tell me they are "worried about missing the ship" I just smile and tell them to book the cruise ship excursions.

We leave in a few days on a 38 day cruise to quite a few countries. And in keeping with our norm...we have not booked a single cruise line excursion. In fact, I think we have only booked 1 ship excursion in our last 1000+ days of cruising...and that was in Murmansk..where the excursion was our only option to be allowed off the ship. And I must confess that the Murmansk excursion sucked!

As to the person who was scared away from the Woodwind because it was an afternoon tour, I think Dee would tell you that in the 14 or so years she has been taking cruise ships passengers, not a single person has missed their ship because of her tours. But we would guess that the couple that was able to get on that tour, because the poster was afraid to book.....would be very thankful to the poster for not booking. So in this case, everyone is happy.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

In early November, 2016, we hired Around Curaçao Tours for a fantastic tour of the island, customized to our interests. Beautiful scenery, Blow Hole , local soup, and a stop for local lunch at a small hotel used by snorkelers. It was a wonderful day. Got lots of seaglass, too.

For a blast of a time in Bonaire, consider the Road Runner Twizy cars. They were fantastic. We toured quite a bit of the island, and then had a relaxing stop at a hotel beach and bar. Shortly after our arrival there, the ship's beach tour arrived!

Self arranged shore excursions is the way to go!!!!

I agree with this! The Woodwind is always sold out!

As to the person who was scared away from the Woodwind because it was an afternoon tour, I think Dee would tell you that in the 14 or so years she has been taking cruise ships passengers, not a single person has missed their ship because of her tours. But we would guess that the couple that was able to get on that tour, because the poster was afraid to book.....would be very thankful to the poster for not booking. So in this case, everyone is happy.

Hank

I managed to make a reservation for Trikes Aruba this morning. I sent in a reservation request for Woodwind, but they haven't replied yet. Does anyone know how long it typically takes to get a response?

We are almost 10 months out...so is there a chance it won't be booked up yet?

Not sure about response time but Dee will get back to you. They have two tours. am and pm so at 10 months out should not be booked up.

I managed to make a reservation for Trikes Aruba this morning. I sent in a reservation request for Woodwind, but they haven't replied yet. Does anyone know how long it typically takes to get a response?

Two Words Trikes Aruba:). We probably had some of the best giggles doing it.

Hi, driveshaft. We are still talking about the Jazz Festival and Caribbean Cruise.

We are on Reflection next February and have booked a tour with Trikes Aruba. It looks like so much fun.

Cruisin' lady aka Jan

Sounds like you're covered in Bonaire and Aruba and your plans sound great!

Curacao is a bit more challenging for a "beachgoer" like the OP.

Beaches are far and VERY EXPENSIVE to get to by cab. Rent a car is an option and people also do beach passes to nearby hotel beaches. We bought a day pass to Baoase Resort which is a quiet upscale place. More luxury beach day, not party scene. Some people do Santa Barbara resort...more of an all-inclusive type beach scene.

It's amazing how different the ABCs are from each other. Check them out on Google earth. Bonaire has the reef, Aruba has the beaches and Curacao.....that's seems to be where they make their money and refine oil....less tourist offerings there.

We are not big fans of Curacao and especially didn't love our overnight stay there on the last 14 night X cruise.

I've read a lot about the risk in booking outside the ship...is that a legitimate concern or not really?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The only risk is that if your return to the ship is delayed due to any unforeseen issue, ie: problem with a tour vehicle, the ship will leave without you. We would take a private excursion in a port like bermuda as the ship docks at the port for a few days. Same now with some Aruba cruises that are overnight.

Good news on the trikes for the Oct 5th Equinox sailing that is in Aruba on Oct 10th. They are adding a 'Sunset Ride'! Details are below along with contact information if anyone is interested. So far there are two couple and we need a third minimum to make it happen...

Email I got from Trikes-Aruba...

However we thinking about open a Sunset Tour that day but we need more than 3 Trikes to do so reason why we are contacting all people on wait list to offer this tour.

Will be pick up time 4:30 tour time 5:00pm to 7:00 pm and drop off time 7:30 pm will cost $150 per Trike (2 persons).

I promised I would help promote the tour so if you're going to book, please mention that I suggested it. I don't get any kind of commission, but I like to show I keep my promises! I'm doing this purely because it's supposed to be one of the best tours on the island and I want to go!!!!

Email: info@trikes-aruba.com

As I said above, we just need one more booking to make it happen. Mention my name if you would as it may make sure they take you over any waiting list.

Thanks for letting me plaster this around. We REALLY want to do this and if I can make it happen, I will!

Just a little true story. I have posted thousands of posts on the CC port boards, primarily for those wanting to do European ports on their own. About 5 years ago we were on a Med cruise and a couple came up to me at the Meet and Greet, said they recognized my name from CC...and asked if I could help them plan their independent days. They further explained that they had booked ship excursions in each port...and realized that the total cost of the excursions actually exceeded the cost of the entire cruise! So I spent hours of my time giving them very detailed info on each port. Towards the end of the cruise I ran into that same couple and they explained that they had "chickened out" and did take all the cruise line excursions. Those folks had a very low tolerance for risk, so for them, there was no option but to take cruise line excursions (which they told us they did not enjoy). So ever since chatting with that couple I have changed my attitude. Now, when folks ask me for help I am always willing to take the time. But if they tell me they are "worried about missing the ship" I just smile and tell them to book the cruise ship excursions.

We leave in a few days on a 38 day cruise to quite a few countries. And in keeping with our norm...we have not booked a single cruise line excursion. In fact, I think we have only booked 1 ship excursion in our last 1000+ days of cruising...and that was in Murmansk..where the excursion was our only option to be allowed off the ship. And I must confess that the Murmansk excursion sucked!

Hank

I mentioned to make sure and get the AM tour. My reason for suggesting this was the heat and getting sunburned! I know they offer UV clothing if needed but I just have something about using items that others use. I am glad I went in the AM with the other excursion because when I saw some of the ones that took the PM tour, some had very red skin.

Ulf actually asked why I didn't want the PM trip snd I explained what I just wrote. He then just put me in the AM waitlist. I made the resevation but later notified him tgat we changed our mind. He thanked me for been upfront about it. I mentioned it in my roll call and another couple was able to take my old reservation. Like you said, everyone was happy in the end.

Ulf responded to my request within 48 hours and was always pretty responsive.

Good news on the trikes for the Oct 5th Equinox sailing that is in Aruba on Oct 10th. They are adding a 'Sunset Ride'! Details are below along with contact information if anyone is interested. So far there are two couple and we need a third minimum to make it happen...

However we thinking about open a Sunset Tour that day but we need more than 3 Trikes to do so reason why we are contacting all people on wait list to offer this tour.

Will be pick up time 4:30 tour time 5:00pm to 7:00 pm and drop off time 7:30 pm will cost $150 per Trike (2 persons).

I promised I would help promote the tour so if you're going to book, please mention that I suggested it. I don't get any kind of commission, but I like to show I keep my promises! I'm doing this purely because it's supposed to be one of the best tours on the island and I want to go!!!!

As I said above, we just need one more booking to make it happen. Mention my name if you would as it may make sure they take you over any waiting list.

Thanks for letting me plaster this around. We REALLY want to do this and if I can make it happen, I will!

Is this JUST for the October date? That would be amazing, but we aren't going until May.

So, I have Aruba and Bonaire booked. I've requested a horseback ride in Grand Cayman, and I'm waiting on a reply to that.....now I just need Curacao.

Any recommendations for a good excursion in Curacao?

We do both private excursions as well as ship tours. And yes, the ship tours are always more expensive but this is the criteria I use when booking a tour either from the ship or a private excursion. I figure the extra money I pay for the ship's tour is an insurance policy ... that's how I justify it.

1) port of call in which we are visiting -- I would have no problem with a private tour in any of the islands on your itinerary

2) whether we have to tender or not -- you may not always be the first one off and you may miss an early tour if you are stuck on the ship waiting for your tender number to be called. Ship's tour pax will get priority

3) how close to the ship's sail away time does the tour end - for me, it would have to be at least two hours before 'all passengers must be back onboard' as I am not much of a risk taker when it comes to this

4) what is the next port of call and is it easy to get transportation there in case the ship does leave without you? I am on the same itinerary but later in the year. I would have less concern about taking a private tour in Aruba or Curacao than I would in Bonaire as if I missed the ship, I wouldn't be able to catch it again until two days later in Key West.

One other thing to note, besides the ship either waiting for a bus load of people that are late getting back from a ship's tour .. or at least getting you to your next port if they cannot wait, if you are injured or get sick on a ship's tour, they will help with the arrangements for your care and possibly refund your excursion.

I know that others will state that it is impossible for a private tour to get back late ... well, that's not true. It can and does happen, but it is rare.

I was on a ship's tour once that got back late as the driver got lost in a construction zone and took a detour, taking us even further off the beaten path. We were very late getting back to the ship and greeted by hundreds of passengers up on the lido deck clapping as we loaded off the tour bus. Now, we were only in Boston and our next port of call was right up the coast so there wasn't a huge risk for us, even if we had been on a private tour. But, we'd still have needed to arrange our transport to the next port and book a room at our own expense for that night.

It all just depends on how risk adverse you are to take a private tour ... and there is little chance you will get stuck and miss the ship. You will also save a lot of money ... and sometimes we take the small risk / sometimes we don't....and usually use the criteria above as a determining factor. I've experienced fabulous and not so good tours on both.

And, if you love the beach, I would highly recommend Klein Bonaire ... you can even do the drift snorkel ... lots of turtles seen when we did that. I haven't been in about 6-7 years but there were NO services over there and very little shade .... but quite possibly the most beautiful beach of all.

In Curacao, we visited the Curacao factory ... loved it!! There was something else included in that tour but cannot remember the name of the place but they had dolphins, flamingos, etc. The Fort is a pretty cool place to hang out for a cold beer or shopping if you like that.

In Aruba, we did the helmet dive at DePalm Island. Some parts are geared towards kids but we choose a palapa near the water and they brought us margaritas, volleyball, had salsa lessons and even had massage tables set up on the beach. It was a special birthday so treated myself to one ... ahhhhhh!! Such a memorable day! When back onboard for dinner, we found out that down on Palm Beach, it just poured all day .. not a drop of rain where we were, though. We just lucked out.

In Key West, if I could make a recommendation, take a tour of the Little Truman White House. It is within walking distance of the port ... we just stumbled upon it when out walking. It is a piece of our history and a very inexpensive but interesting tour.

The key to a DIY day ANYWHERE is research...the more you know about where you visit, the better off you'll be. Go to your library and pick up a guidebook...or buy one, your choice. Read up on your ports. There is seldom a reason to book anything thru the ship. The only exception is if something is really far from port...or requires multiple means of transportation. The Caribbean Islands are VERY easy and safe to do on your own. Always set your WATCH (not your cell phone!) to ship's time (all the clocks will show ship's time), and you won't have any issues.

Thank you for the Woodwind suggestion. I emailed them Friday and they only had afternoon available. Unfortunately it wasn't going to work since the tour ended 30 mns before we need to be back on board and I didn't want to take any chances. Surprisingly this morning I received an email that we are confirmed on the morning tour!! We normally only book excursions through the ship, but since it is in the morning we are going for it! Thanks again for the recommendation!!

Is this JUST for the October date? That would be amazing, but we aren't going until May.

Email and ask. I was only interested in filling my date, but if others want it, then provided there are three or more takers, I'm sure they'll run it for any date it can be run on.

You now have me intrigued. While we aren't going to do this tour on our cruise you say that is one of the best tours on the island. We have been going to Aruba every year for the past 20+ years and I have never even heard of this tour. I am definitely going to check it out when we are there in January!! Thank you for the recommendation!!