LGA or JFK for October Repo Cruise?

M4dC0w

Just trying to decide which NY airport to arrive at. LGA or JFK?

we are arriving a few days early, and looking for the airport that would be better and closer to places of interest as this will be out first time in NY and want to check out the sites.

I hear that LGA has some construction happing at the time also.

Also looking at my flights going home, found a flight that leaves at 11:30 at MIA on dismemberment day. I know the commute time is longer than FLL and since this flight is basically a local flight (customs in Canada), and we are both Nexus members (security fast tracked) I don't see that being an issue making it if we do the self walk off and cabbing it.

any opinions would be appreciated.

we are arriving a few days early, and looking for the airport that would be better and closer to places of interest as this will be out first time in NY and want to check out the sites.

Also looking at my flights going home, found a flight that leaves at 11:30 at MIA on dismemberment day. I know the commute time is longer than FLL and since this flight is basically a local flight (customs in Canada), and we are both Nexus members (security fast tracked) I don't see that being an issue making it if we do the self walk off and cabbing it.

I fly in and out of JFK and LGA pretty regularly.

Have not had much of an issue with the ongoing construction at LGA.

I book for convenience and price.

Uber or a car service work well in NY to/from the pier.

https://www.dial7.com/

Returning I would do the first group self walkoff with bags and get a private transfer to MIA.

It's 22 miles but traffic can be an issue.

I think you may be pushing an 11:30 flight home from Miami.

https://www.fortlauderdaletransfers.com/

I would also look into EWR as a cheaper alternative if staying a few days before. Easy access to NYC sites too.

Your 11:30 MIA flight is doable but I will personally take a later flight as cushion for unexpected delays

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, if you are going to stay in Manhattan check out flights to Newark. There is a train service right from the airport.

Take the Airtrain to the the "Newark Liberty Airport Train Station". Then transfer to a NJ TRANSIT train to Penn Station NEWARK (not New York). Trains run 7 days a week, 21 hours/day (no service between 2:00-5:00 AM) at least every 15 minutes. Do not get a ticket for an AMTRAK train because that is MUCH more expensive.

https://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-airtrain.html

Thank you all for the responses

from what I found so far the prices from all 3 airports are +/- $5 pp, so that is not an issue.

I am looking for more convenience on where to stay during a few day visit, and somewhere not too far from the Brooklyn cruise terminal.

I live very close to LGA, but we still fly out of JFK. Mostly this is because we're big JetBlue fans and JB has its own terminal at JFK, so 90% of their flights are out of there vs LGA. In any case, I still try to avoid LGA. The construction can be a pain depending on what they're working on, but I just hate the airport because the security lines for most terminals (except for Delta's) are horrible and, at least the last few times I flew out of there, there's no separate line for TSA Pre-Check. But LGA is closer to the city, so a cab ride to midtown would be $20 - $30 cheaper.

Thank you all for the responses

from what I found so far the prices from all 3 airports are +/- $5 pp, so that is not an issue.

I am looking for more convenience on where to stay during a few day visit, and somewhere not too far from the Brooklyn cruise terminal.

Brooklyn cruise terminal is in an industrial area, no hotels to speak of. Best off staying in Manhattan. Midtown is closer to most attractions but heavier traffic to cruise port. Plenty of hotels in lower Manhattan which is quick cab ride through Battery Tunnel to terminal. With luck only 15 minutes.

I would absolutely avoid EWR or staying in New Jersey if you are planning on using public transportation. The New Jersey transit trains have experienced masssive delays this summer and will continue through the fall and probably winter. One to two hour delays are very frequent and all commuters are advised to "seek alternate forms of transportation " on a weekly basis. Newark Penn station to NYC Penn station is a nightmare.

The Marriott Brooklyn Bridge is a very nice hotel and is less than 3 miles from the pier.

While this hotel is certainly convenient to the Brooklyn port, I think that a Manhattan hotel may be more able to get a person to "sites". There is not a great deal around the port area that would attract a person, unless you really love great coal fired NY pizza at Grimaldi's. A friend just came back from New York after staying a few weeks in a very nice airbnb unit. Just a thought.

Also looking at my flights going home, found a flight that leaves at 11:30 at MIA on dismemberment day. I know the commute time is longer than FLL and since this flight is basically a local flight (customs in Canada), and we are both Nexus members (security fast tracked)

Thank goodness I've never been dismembered yet upon disembarkation.

I definitely agree with staying in midtown Manhatten. It is very nice as a tourist to be relatively close to some sights and to feel like you are in NYC!!!

When you are ready to go to the terminal, you can set up ahead of time with Carmel Car service. They are popular in the area. I use them all the time for work travel.

I like the Marriott Marquis TS since it is dead in the center of Tinmes Square, Courtyard Marriott TS (a cheaper alternative but just off Times square), and the downtown Marriott Financial Center.(my company uses Marriott) However, I wouldn't recommend the financial center area for your first trip to the city.

Also, you may enjoy a Hop on Hop Off bus ticket that will give you a tour of the city and then you can use the bus for free for the next 24 hours(check the website as I have not done this in a while). These tours give you a great overview of the city so you understand where things are.

Good Luck!

ok, thanks again for your suggestions.

We decided to fly into LGA, and decided on a few days in NYC, do we will have a total of 3 days in the city.

Looking at a hotel in the Midtown or Lower Manhattan area now, but that can be booked later.

Any other suggestions?

Just FYI, I nearly missed my plane because the taxi driver could not get into LGA airport. Thank goodness, I only had hand luggage because I had to walk a fair distance to the terminal. I would have missed a family member's funeral. We've been flying out of JFK since then.

Sent from my iPad using Forums