Rome! To taxi or train!

Can anyone give me some advise on the best way to get to Rome from the cruise port, we are a family of 6 that includes our elderly gran who is able to walk just not miles, would we be best to go on the train or just get a taxi? We mostly want to visit the colesium and the roman forum! Thanks

Can anyone give me some advise on the best way to get to Rome from the cruise port, we are a family of 6 that includes our elderly gran who is able to walk just not miles, would we be best to go on the train or just get a taxi? We mostly want to visit the colesium and the roman forum! Thanks

Best to ask on the Italy board: http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=595#

Stuart

We used Romecabs, four weeks ago from port to airport, excellent service, we have also used them on a previous cruise from Rome city to the port, again excellent. It is possible to pre pay using PayPal which saves having to carry cash. They have people carrier Mercedes vans for groups of people.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did the train a couple of weeks ago, was surprisingly easy. It is about a 20m walk from the shuttle drop-off point to the station, so possibly your gran could get the taxi for that portion, but easily walkable for the average person.

Only tip that I would have is pre-print a copy of the schedules and train map. Just makes it a little easier on the day.

I was really fit last time we visited Rome and was absolutely exhausted after a days sightseeing!

We booked a RC coach drop off and collect (from ship to centre and return later). For us this was cheap and easy to do, for six of you, even if Celebrity offers something similar, I am sure one of the mentioned taxi companies will offer something at a better price.....

I think what I am trying to say is save your energy (and time) for the sights, look for the easiest option to get there and back!

You don't mention the time of year you are there...July and August are really hot. You could look at an early pick up from the ship, time on your own and then a 'city tour' in your air conditioned return transport mid afternoon. This would give you a flavour of the full city as well as a detailed look at the sites you are most interested in. It also means as your (and especially grans) energy is flagging you are making the most of the day. Worth looking at all options...

The train is cheaper but with 6 of you including the grands make it easy and book your own ride. We use Romecabs and they are great. They have done Rome to the port, the port to FCO for us and last time we had a later flight so they did a private tour of the countryside between the port and the FCO for us before dropping us at the airport and our friends at their hotel.

Driver in Rome is another company, similar to Rome Cabs or Rome in Limo. They offer both transfers and private tours. I've used them multiple times and have always been happy with them. I'll be booking them again for several transfers during a trip to Italy this fall.

For a young(er) person not minding steps and pushing luggage I´d say taking the train is a cheap solution. It is doable, however, anything else but convenient!

We did train, shuttle and private limo... and would not do train again - although we are young and fit.

- The walk to the platforms can be quite far depending on which gate you arrive at the airport. Took us more than 20 minutes.

- Depending on the time of day the train can be packed. Even if you have reserved seats there is no room for your luggage.

- you change trains and platforms - going up and down stairs. No elevators.

The only convenient thing is the mentioned shuttle in Civitavecchia itself. However, there have also been changes. The shuttle does not take you to the ship. It takes you to the port. From there you have to take another shuttle to the ship.

Private transports or taxis with a licence take you all the way to the ship.

Just back from a trip to Rome last week. The Colosseum is a lot of walking and the Forum is even more walking (up and down hills on cobblestones, not to mention a steep incline if you want to go to the top of Palatine Hill, which is the most scenic part of the complex). You also have to walk a few blocks between the two sites.

If you're concerned about mobility for anyone in your party, I would skip the Forum altogether. Maybe I'm unsentimental, but considering that most of what you see now are reconstructions done in the 20th century and the rest is ruins, the Colosseum is the more impressive of the two. They also have an elevator to get you to the upper level (the steps are doable but very steep).

For a young(er) person not minding steps and pushing luggage I´d say taking the train is a cheap solution. It is doable, however, anything else but convenient!

We did train, shuttle and private limo... and would not do train again - although we are young and fit.

- The walk to the platforms can be quite far depending on which gate you arrive at the airport. Took us more than 20 minutes.

- Depending on the time of day the train can be packed. Even if you have reserved seats there is no room for your luggage.

- you change trains and platforms - going up and down stairs. No elevators.

The only convenient thing is the mentioned shuttle in Civitavecchia itself. However, there have also been changes. The shuttle does not take you to the ship. It takes you to the port. From there you have to take another shuttle to the ship.

Private transports or taxis with a licence take you all the way to the ship.

They are not talking about luggage -- only a day in Rome from the ship.

For that purpose, the train isn't a bad option, especially for the normally fit.

With children and grandparents, though, I'd probably look at other options for the day....

With six of you, booking an entire day with Rome Cabs or Rome in Limo is an excellent value. Your driver will pick you up at the ship, have whatever tickets you might want (if any) and take you from point to point around the city. He or she will drop you at an entrance and set a pick-up point at the other end. Even with all of that, you'll be doing plenty of walking but you'll spend it actually seeing the sights not getting from place to place.

They'll help you plan the day to be the most efficient possible based on what you want to see.

They are not talking about luggage -- only a day in Rome from the ship.

For that purpose, the train isn't a bad option, especially for the normally fit.

With children and grandparents, though, I'd probably look at other options for the day....

You are correct... don't know why I thought they were asking for an airport transfer...:confused:

However, my answer would be the same... with children and Grandma I would not take the train.

Just for a tour - on your own or guided - we used civitatours.com and can highly recommend them. Around 20 Euro per per person.

I agree that a private tour for the day would get you the most out of your day. If you decide to simply cab in and explore on your own def pre-book tickets to the colliseum, get to skip an otherwise very long line

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have used Rome in Limo multiple times (at least 6-7 times) from airport to port, hotel to port, port to airport etc. We did use them for a private tour for two after a red eye flight. We visited where pope vacations castel gandolfo, Frascati Italy (had the best crema filled donut hole in my entire life!!) and visited Tivoli Gardens (Villa-d'estes) which were stunning!

Bottom line is we love using RIL...reliable 100% of the time!!

I have no problem taking trains, trams, etc. in most countries. Do not take the train in Italy. In Italy, there are strikes. Every time that I am in Italy, I have experienced a strike. One time I was on a train when they called a strike. The train was between Livorno and Florence. The train came to a stop in the middle of a field. We sat there for hours until the strike ended. I have used RomeInLimo and Rome Cabs several times. They are prompt, clean, and have excellent drivers. Do not use the train!

Rome in Limo also for us. We were 4 people and toured Rome until late morning. Driver event waited for us while visited the Colliseum. He dropped us at our hotel. We redid all the stop ourselves the next day with more time to visit. It was a very good way to get our bearing in the City.