Price Drop with No Inventory?

I attempted to price check my room today only to find out the category is now sold out. Can you still take advantage of a drop even if is there is no longer any inventory?

If there is no inventory, there is no price, then there cannot be a price drop.

Found the same thing today for our Allure cruise in October. Central park balconies haven't even been an option for a couple of months now but suddenly popped back up today. Clicked on it because the price seemed lower than what we booked at but it said there were none available. Was thinking about calling RC to ask this very question.

When I select my cruise and then Suite category, it shows a price to the right even if there is no inventory. If I see that number go down, can I not ask them to check? Or is that just not possible?

When I select my cruise and then Suite category, it shows a price to the right even if there is no inventory. If I see that number go down, can I not ask them to check? Or is that just not possible?

I am seeing this on my Alaska cruise. They have a price for Junior Suites, but when I click on it, it changes to a Junior Suite Guarantee. I am not giving up my cabin to go for guarantee. Is that what yours is doing too?

I am seeing this on my Alaska cruise. They have a price for Junior Suites, but when I click on it, it changes to a Junior Suite Guarantee. I am not giving up my cabin to go for guarantee. Is that what yours is doing too?

We are on the Explorer to Alaska. We are in a GS next June. We I plug in the ship and date, then select suites, it lists the prices of all the suites. Then, when I select GS from the list, it tells me GS are sold out.

No, you have to go further and select a stateroom that is the same exact category as you have. Those numbers that show on the first screen many times are bogus. Just checked one of mine today, and the first screen said $1299 for a suite, but when I drilled down further, the least expensive suite was $1439.

No, you have to go further and select a stateroom that is the same exact category as you have. Those numbers that show on the first screen many times are bogus. Just checked one of mine today, and the first screen said $1299 for a suite, but when I drilled down further, the least expensive suite was $1439.

Thanks Bob, maybe if I'm lucky an owners Suite will drop into my price point and I can just upgrade. :)

I guess if they have none to sell, they can drop the price to anything they want. Kind of like the guy who went into a butcher shop and asked how much the ground round was. The butcher told him $2.25. What? The butcher shop down the street's price is $1.99. So, buy it down the street. I would, but they're out of it. Well, said the butcher, when I'm out of it it's $1.50.

Actually there have been a couple of reports of people getting a price drop on a sold out category. One was a Royal Suite (of which there is only one). I'm not sure if Royal's system has changed since these happened but here's how it occurred.

The price drop was not for an actual drop in the price of the base fare but for a drop due to a new promotion.

Once a category sold out the last price that the cabin sold for stayed in the system. Subsequently a promotion was added that offered an increased discount or additional on board credit. This promotion would be added to the last selling price of that category thusly allowing someone to get a price drop or adjustment to their cruise fare even though the category was sold out.

From whatI understand there are two prices for a cabin. One is the price paid and the other is the current projected price. So when a category is sold out the projected price changes. If a cabin is released in a sold out category it does not come back to the price paid but the projected price.

So you can get a price on sold out categories or one of a kind cabins by calling.

Of all the "dynamic pricing" shell games that occur, this one ^^^^^ has to be the most infuriating. :mad:

I agree, and I don't think this "error" is unintentional.

It may depend on how far off the two prices are. A couple of times in the last month Anthem had solo rates on the first screen of something like $350 when the real price was around $2K - I assume that was just a straight up web site error.

• 11 months later...
Is there a way to check the non-refundable price for a sold out category? Or would I have to call every time there's a "new" "sale"?

No way to do that on the website.