A cruise liners captains perspective on recent events

11 minutes ago, SeaDog-46 said:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A   CRUISE / LINER  -  it is an oxymoron invented by lazy ignorant media.

You are correct but you're banging your head against a brick wall. Stop it now or you'll give yourself a headache.

You've got as much chance of them changing their ways as you have of getting people to stop calling ships boats.

I even cringe when I hear of people reported as using oars instead of paddles, but I try not to dwell on it for any longer than a nanosecond or two.

And there are those that think Morse code is a system of dots and dashes but is it? It is not.

End of pendant rant. I feel better now.🙂

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DiamondFour said:

He wrote a good article. I am pretty sure he used to be a Captain for Princess at one stage as his name sounds very familiar and I am almost certain he was a Captain on one of the cruise ships I have been on.

You could be right. Google found this:

“In the later years of his career, Commodore Rynd was most closely associated with Cunard but he also introduced many thousands of Australians to cruising at the helm of P&O Cruises and Princess Cruises vessels."

1 hour ago, SeaDog-46 said:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A   CRUISE / LINER  -  it is an oxymoron invented by lazy ignorant media.

Noun 1. cruise liner - a passenger ship used commercially for pleasure cruisescruise liner - a passenger ship used commercially for pleasurecruises

A Liner is a ship that operates on a Regular LIne Voyage   as opposed to a Tramp Steamer that picks up cargo / passengers according to demand     a Cruiser has large guns  there were some Liners that operated cruises at the latter parts of their lives here in Australia Oriana 1 would be an example

Cruise Ship would be the correct description for our modern flat bottom cruise barges

Regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

QM2 is a liner and does cruises, surely that is a cruise liner.

Sorry No  when a liner ceases her regular services and operates cruises she is no longer a Liner  she is a cruise ship  The LINE refers to the regular LINE Voyage ... 

Hope this explains it

Regards

John

Liners I think Orient Line Orsova, Orion , Otranto  and Oriana (1) .... Orient Line 20,000 Tonners 

Oh dear I am showing my  age badly ... must be the woopie pills

Oriana was of course 42,000 Tonnes , a wonderful ship I had the great pleasure of a return trip MEL to SOTN  and then later when my Children were old enough a 12 day Cruise to the Pacific Islands ..yes a wonderful ship

Regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ

https://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-ocean-liner-and-vs-cruise-ship/

QM2 is definitely a ocean liner in build and has previously done the journeys as described. As it now operates as a cruise ship for many of it's journeys, I have no issue with the QM2 being labelled as a Cruise liner.

NO - Mic  QM2 is only one or the other & really we are not talking about that but the ignorant ones who use those 2 words that make it an oxymoron.  Invented by lazy media that we know nothing about the suject.

48 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

QM2 is a unique build and deserves her own title.

She is a liner what cruises.....a one off .....

a true cruise liner ,

the likes of which we will never see ever again .

Or is is she a Cruise ship that at times operates as a trans Atlantic Ferry a three day trip  

Liners set out of the 56 day round line Voyage to Australia from Tilbury or Southampton

Regards

John