Belkin Mini 5W 3-Outlet swivel travel charger

DJW8385

I came across this product as I was shopping (on Amazon)for my upcoming cruise in August. Before I purchase this, I wanted to get some feedback on this. Had anyone purchased this travel charger before? I see this product being ideal since there's really one outlet in the rooms on the cruise ship and this will add additional outlets. Also, it has two USB ports built in. There's also a 10w version of this travel charger is available as well.

It has a surge protector. Not allowed on the ship due to being a fire hazard. I have purchased this one, which does NOT have surge protection - GE 25337 Power Station Tap, 2 USB and 2 AC Outlets 2.1A Horizontal, White

Unfortunately, it doesn't swivel, but a short, basic extension cord would solve the problem of it possibly not fitting into the space for the outlet.

I actually bought this one after reading a review on here from somebody who used this on the ship I'm sailing. Didn't even notice the surge feature. That poster didn't have any problem using it. I'm liking it quite a bit around the hous though. It's great for the USB feature and we used it on a land trip and it was great.

It has a surge protector. Not allowed on the ship due to being a fire hazard. I have purchased this one, which does NOT have surge protection - GE 25337 Power Station Tap, 2 USB and 2 AC Outlets 2.1A Horizontal, White

Unfortunately, it doesn't swivel, but a short, basic extension cord would solve the problem of it possibly not fitting into the space for the outlet.

Thanks for this, it looks like a safe replacement for the Belkin.

Is this new? I have used mine on my past 5 cruises. It's never been questioned. I never travel without it.

I have something similar, in the Staples brand: http://www.staples.com/Staples-USB-3-Outlet-Travel-Surge-Protector-Black/product_199005

I like it a lot and travel with it frequently, though I don't know that I've ever used it on a ship......I am just not in the cabin enough to need to plug in multiple things at once.

The fire hazard hiding in a land based surge protection device is that ships use a 'floating' ground system wherein land based systems do not use a 'floating' ground. Chances are that you will not start a fire using a non floating ground surge protection device in your cabin but there is a reason that the Coast Guard is and should be strict about what you plug in aboard a ship. Do a search on floating ground AC circuits for details. Rather than endanger yourself and others aboard a ship use a charger like the one mentioned in the second post that does not employ surge protection.

Is this new? I have used mine on my past 5 cruises. It's never been questioned. I never travel without it.

The Belkin unit is frequently passed by security because they don't look like power strips with surge protectors, but Carnival is the one line that clears the air and clearly states what the problem is with power strips, and that is surge protection.

By all means, the Belkin is a great choice for travel on land (hotels, etc.), but they are not safe onboard any ship. Surge protectors can be used often onboard ships with no problems but they can also fail without warning without there being a problem with the power supply. Some may fail with no problem, some may catch fire.

Well, fudge!! I wish I had known this before I purchased the 10 watt one for the cruise I am leaving on in a couple of days. I bought it because I had read posts in the past by others who have used this particular one on cruises.

I guess it's back to the regular, old fashioned adaptor that has 3 outlets. But I sure will miss the use of the USB outlets in the Belkin!! That's one reason why I wanted it for cruising.

Well, fudge!! I wish I had known this before I purchased the 10 watt one for the cruise I am leaving on in a couple of days. I bought it because I had read posts in the past by others who have used this particular one on cruises.

I guess it's back to the regular, old fashioned adaptor that has 3 outlets. But I sure will miss the use of the USB outlets in the Belkin!! That's one reason why I wanted it for cruising.

For about the same price as the Belkin, you can get the Zilu 5 port USB charger, which has more ports and does not have a surge protector. Be advised that other Zilu USB chargers DO have surge protection, it is only the 5 port unit that doesn't. The Zilu product is also a 40w charger, while the Belkin is 5w, so your devices will charge faster.

Edited by chengkp75

For about the same price as the Belkin, you can get the Zilu 5 port USB charger, which has more ports and does not have a surge protector. Be advised that other Zilu USB chargers DO have surge protection, it is only the 5 port unit that doesn't. The Zilu product is also a 40w charger, while the Belkin is 5w, so your devices will charge faster.

I picked up the Zilu 5 port USB charger based off your info in another post a couple weeks ago. Found it for $20 on Amazon. Just got back from a week a 7 night cruise and it worked perfectly. Thanks for all the helpful info you provide on here.

I travel a lot for work and foresee this charger getting quite a bit of use as hotels usually don't have enough power outlets.

The problem I encountered on the one cruise I used the Belkin on was that when I had multiple "toys" plugged into this, everything had to be piled right together on the desk. This left me no room to sit at the desk doing the Photoshopping of that day's photos or whatever needing doing. This is why I went back to the trusty configuration of the power strip. Rather than simply tossing the Belkin in the trash, I use it at home as an extra outlet for things that I don't use that frequently.

Edited by Treven

I used this one on my last cruise and it was wonderful. It has a light at the top left that is blue, and makes a great night light. When you plug an item in to charge (usb) it turns to red, then green, and blue when it is charged. Unfortunately, I can't use it on my next cruise because the outlets are sideways. And I can't use it on the Carnival Pride because of the placement of the outlets. I always take a euro adapter so I can use the two prong euro outlets, and I managed to order this item from Amazon to make use of one:

P1000148_zpskfqfwkir.jpg

Is there any easy way to tell if a USB charger has surge protection or not? Amazon UK doesn't seem to sell Zilu USB chargers, and I'm not sure what to look for on others. I assume that when the blurb speaks of "overvoltage protection" that's the same as a surge protector?

I actually bought this one after reading a review on here from somebody who used this on the ship I'm sailing. Didn't even notice the surge feature. That poster didn't have any problem using it. I'm liking it quite a bit around the hous though. It's great for the USB feature and we used it on a land trip and it was great.

Same here. I bought one after reading great reviews and we took it on our cruise last October. No issues getting it on either.

Others have mentioned it has the surge protector, but we used it and left it out and the steward never questioned it. Guess I will need to look at something else. Don't want to be unsafe!

Edited by TerReuv

Is there any easy way to tell if a USB charger has surge protection or not? Amazon UK doesn't seem to sell Zilu USB chargers, and I'm not sure what to look for on others. I assume that when the blurb speaks of "overvoltage protection" that's the same as a surge protector?

Yes, overvoltage protection is surge protection. The ones I have recommended in various posts (if I get ambitious one weekend I'll collect them all together), i have researched either to the manufacturer's website or actually e-mailed the manufacturer with the question, if their website wasn't clear. Unfortunately, most consumer websites like Amazon don't give full details. I have recommended the "PowerCube" unit (though I've seen reviews where they fall apart if plugs are not carefully pulled out, and the "Uber" multi-outlet block. I don't know if they sell either in the UK. The Uber one is a large block, so you would need a short corded power strip like the Monster one to move the Uber block from the outlet to the desktop. It has 3 outlets and 2 USB.

I've brought my belkin on 10 cruises without issue.

And as I've posted on another thread about this Belkin USB hub:

Let me add a clarifying note to those who have used a Belkin or similar device in the past "without a problem". If you read the USCG Safety Notice, the fire's root cause was not a problem with the surge protector that eventually failed and caught fire, but it was due to another device or piece of electrical equipment on the ship (and noted as even being on a different circuit) that "went to ground" (the insulation failed) that reverse powered the MOV's in the surge protector that caught fire. Unintentional grounds aboard ship are fairly common due to the presence of outdoor lighting fixtures exposed to storms and seas, which sometimes fill with sea water and ground out. This is another reason that shipboard grounding is designed as it is, so that the engineers can quickly identify any grounded circuit and repair it before it can cause a problem.

So, the long and short of it is, your Belkin may in fact be completely normal in operation, right up until the moment that something else on the ship causes it to go into "thermal runaway".

This is the real hidden danger of surge protectors onboard ship.

Yes, but for many things it does not work, because it is a USB only charger. Many people need additional plugs.

...a short corded power strip like the Monster one to move the Uber block from the outlet to the desktop. It has 3 outlets and 2 USB.

Wow, I have this and stopped using it on ships thinking (for that price) it must have surge protection! Now I see on Amazon, it doesn't. Hurrah!

I so wish people would just read what you write ChengKP, instead of going into defense mode and firing off all the times they did not start a fire, when it's not those times that matter, but the NEXT one that might start one! Maybe while the person is asleep or has left something charging while off to dinner and show.

Here's that US Coast Guard paper you have cited in the past, for people who need to see it in red-white&blue as well as black and white!

http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf