Yet Another (semi-live) Adventure B2B experience (NE/Canada and Bahamas)

APDMOM has been doing an awesome live review of her family's experience onboard Adventure, but I thought I'd add mine, as we begin what will be our first B2B. I'll start with some quick background. What started out as 8, has become 6, as first my brother had a change of plans, and then our daughter could only get one week off from her practicum. So for week one, we are still three generations, with my parents, my wife, myself, and our two adult boys. Week two, our daughter will join us, but my parents will be heading home.

June 26th

We begin our journey early Tuesday morning, with a drive from our homes near Louisville, Kentucky, northeast, to near Cincinnati. As is often the case, it was cheaper to fly from CVG than SDF. A line of summertime storms delayed our noon flight until about 1:40, but with travel to Newark being our only plan for the day, it was a stress-free delay.

Around 4:30, we arrive at the Best Western Robert Treat Hotel. We chose this particular location because of price, good reviews, and proximity to Newark Penn Station. First order of business, after finding our rooms, was to get some food. Checking nearby restaurants on Google maps, led us a couple of blocks to Burger Walla. We all thought the burgers to be quite good, if a bit messy, especially with the sauteed onions. After eating, we spent time exploring the area on foot. By 10 pm, everyone was exhausted and ready to retire.

June 27th

We again begin our day early, going downstairs to a typical hotel breakfast. Not bad, but certainly nothing note worthy. Bellies full, we walked to Penn Station, and found our way to the PATH train. It was a little bit daunting, but I had done my research, and had a pretty good idea of what to expect. All went smoothly, and we arrived in Manhattan at the World Trade Center a short time later, where we made our way to Battery Park to begin our guided tour of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. That afternoon, we stopped along Broadway to have lunch at a genuine New York City delicatessen, followed by a very humbling and emotional tour of the 9/11 Memorial and museum.

Needless to say, all were well worn by the time we returned to Robert Treat. Dinner was room service pizza from the hotel restaurant, Maize. Not bad at all, and reasonably priced.

June 28th

Up not quite as early on our third day, but again into the city. This time via NJ Transit to NY Penn Station, where we hoofed it northward to meet our guide for the day in Times Square. Once more we had a very entertaining and knowledgeable guide, with our day once again ending at WTC. This time was up to the observation deck, for a spectacular view of the city. We were fortunate that the skies had cleared after rain that morning, and another shower in the afternoon. We could see for miles.

Back to the hotel and one final dinner at the hotel. A bit pricey this time, but quite good.

June 29th

Embarkation day. Day One.

On recommendation from folks over at the East Coast Departures forum, we used Dial 7 for transport to the pier. Our driver had been given the wrong address by his dispatcher, but all worked out, and we were picked up only a few minutes later than planned. Check in was very smooth. No roaming agents with iPads at the terminal, as is the norm with Anthem. By 9:50 we were seated in the waiting area.

At about 10:20 boarding began. It's nice to board a nearly empty ship, especially while dragging carry-ons. We made our way up to the Solarium, and hung out there until about noon. I was overruled on lunch, so we headed to the Windjammer, where I was pleasantly surprised to find it still uncrowded, with lots of open tables. Boarding early definitely has its advantages.

After lunch, we headed down to Deck 4, and hung out in the shade of the open port side deck, where we enjoyed the breeze, the view, and the quiet. Around 1 pm, we headed up to Deck 8 to find our rooms. Our son headed out to explore the ship but quickly returned to announce the luggage had arrived. So we unpacked, because it is always nice to get that out of the way.

First call to muster came at 2:00. It was nice to find that A2 was one of the four indoor stations on Deck 5, in the Imperial Lounge. Arriving early paid off again, as it was SRO a few minutes later. After must, I suggested we go locate our table in the MDR. Found our table by a window, and looked out to see that we were moving.

While the boys headed up to the chaos of the pool deck, we returned to the quiet of Deck 4. We made our way forward and enjoyed sail away from the helipad. Passing under the Narrows bridge was just as cool this time as it had been the first time, two years earlier aboard Anthem.

Reading my wife's mind, we returned to our room about 4, where she took a nap, and I began composing this post. (It's now the next morning, and I'm still trying to finish it, while also realizing it has turned out to be much longer than intended. Lol) At 5:29 I realize we're late for dinner. We make it to Deck 5 by 5:37 to find that they had just opened the doors. For once it paid to not be early. All I'll say about the food is that we enjoyed it.

At 8:15 my wife and I went to the Imperial Lounge for "If you know it, sing it", which was a lot of fun. Afterwards it was down a flight to the Lyric Theater for the welcome aboard show. We then roamed the Promenade for a bit before calling it a night.

Our time in NYC

A few snapshots from the Statue of Liberty

18829b2a5855a619c342c915a281b428.jpg Approaching the island.

008c989cb12ff727514923d0dc75dac7.jpg I was 16 the first time I saw the Statue in person, but did not remember this in 1983. I'm sure it was there, right?

7da96fc095ab710a5ea9351506b86aa6.jpg Access to the crown is restricted now, but I definitely remember that spiral staircase.

d7f78e4bbb1834e4bcbf133ef14c79c3.jpg From the top of the fort.

We've used our first sea day to recharge, rising late, with no plans whatsoever but to relax. Caught the ice show after lunch. Had an enjoyable formal night dinner in the MDR. Now heading to see the production of Invitation to Dance.

Got up at 5 am in anticipation of seeing the lighthouse on our way into port, only to find we had been docked for some time already. After sauntering along at less than 10 kts all day yesterday, I noticed after dinner that we'd doubled our speed. My guess would be someone had a medical emergency, but who knows.

Obviously we'll just have to keep taking New England and Canada cruises.

So glad your precruise stay went well at the Robert Treat and that you had good success on PATH and NJ Transit as well as a wonderful time in NYC. Also happy that Dial7 was able to quickly recover from their glitch. Stuff happens, but it always helps to be dealing with a reputable vendor who is equipped to recover from it.

So glad your precruise stay went well at the Robert Treat and that you had good success on PATH and NJ Transit as well as a wonderful time in NYC. Also happy that Dial7 was able to quickly recover from their glitch. Stuff happens, but it always helps to be dealing with a reputable vendor who is equipped to recover from it.
Yes, thank you! Your input went a long way towards setting my mind at ease that we could do it. Taking the trains, walking the streets, made us feel like we were part of something, not just passersby. So much more enriching than a drive-thru bus tour. Can't wait to go back!

Day Three

After waking up to rain, it cleared off to be a gorgeous sunny day in Portland, Maine. As we left the pier, a security guard warned us to hydrate, as it was going to be hot and humid today. We just smiled and thanked him. Where we come from, sunny and 82° is a warm spring day.

No excursion planned for us today. We just grabbed a map from the information center and started walking. Saw some interesting sites around town. If you visit Portland on a Sunday, be aware the Victoria Mansion does not open until 1 pm. We figured this out at about 11 am, while standing out front. Oh well. Maybe next trip.

We capped off our day with a nice dinner and the "action comedy" headliner, who was hilarious.

890fd1e1879499863935dee60508ca98.jpg Passenger cars from the narrow gauge railway. They were sitting out front of the visitors' center at the pier.6ef622e16c6ab2dd8d780d1b96daabff.jpgA shot of the train, with steam engine, captured from our balcony. Got a better shot with the DSLR, but no way to access those at the moment.

So glad your precruise stay went well at the Robert Treat and that you had good success on PATH and NJ Transit as well as a wonderful time in NYC. Also happy that Dial7 was able to quickly recover from their glitch. Stuff happens, but it always helps to be dealing with a reputable vendor who is equipped to recover from it.[/quote

Can u advise how much the car service was to port,only two of us so thinking taxi may be cheaper.

So glad your precruise stay went well at the Robert Treat and that you had good success on PATH and NJ Transit as well as a wonderful time in NYC. Also happy that Dial7 was able to quickly recover from their glitch. Stuff happens, but it always helps to be dealing with a reputable vendor who is equipped to recover from it.[/quote

Can u advise how much the car service was to port,only two of us so thinking taxi may be cheaper.

Price varies by group size and size of vehicle. We were a group of 6 with 12 bags, so that pushed us up to a Sprinter van. If I recall correctly, it was $235 for that combination.

Here's a link to their site: https://dial7.com/

I have looked everywhere and cannot find the answer to this. Does the sea pass card on adventure work like Anthem, meaning do you just hold it in front of the sensor on your door or do you need to insert it? Also, do you insert it into the slot in your room to work the lights?

Thanks

Marg

I have looked everywhere and cannot find the answer to this. Does the sea pass card on adventure work like Anthem, meaning do you just hold it in front of the sensor on your door or do you need to insert it? Also, do you insert it into the slot in your room to work the lights?

Thanks

Marg

No, the SeaPass must still be inserted into the door. No slot in the room for power.