Text/IPad Question

packedandready

Not tech savvy so please don’t laugh. I have an iPhone and iPad (does not have calling capabilities). I receive texts on both devices. Even if my phone is in airplane mode and turned off I still receive texts. How does that happen? I won’t be using my phone on the cruise so I’m confused.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Texts using iMessage are sent over wi-fi, which is how you get them. The person you are texting has an Apple product. I can text my wife and daughter who have apple products, but not my son who uses and Android phone. BTW you can also do a audio Face time between two apple products while you are on wifi and not pay for a phone call.

Yes, and will have WiFi on ship. I won’t mind getting the texts, just can’t understand how it’s happening. I know they’re both iOS but don’t know how they “connect “.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Your iPhone has voice (cellular), "text" (SMS) and data connectivity (both via your cellular provider and via your home or another wifi network). Your iPad (without cellular capability, I.e., no SIM or built-in voice/text electronics) has only data connectivity (wi fi).

The iMessage (text) function on Apple devices uses data connections (via wifi data or cellular data but not true SMS text) to send/receive "texts" from other Apple devices. (The text bubbles are blue). For communication with non-Apple devices, regular SMS text function, supplied by your cellular service provider, is used (the text bubbles are green).

With no cellular and SMS text capability, your iPad will still receive data based iMessage texts as long as you have wifi connected (and it will use some of your data allotment).

But, for the iPhone, you need to be very careful that your settings for cellular data are what you want them to be (abroad, usually turn off cellular phone and data roaming) and rely on trustworthy wifi only (note that free wifi in a port is often being hacked by someone).

BTW, with a newer generation iPhone, you can do calling, iMessage texting and internet all on wifi. But, remember you want that data on wifi and not on cellular.

Find an Apple Store near you and sign up for free classes that will address this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are receiving texts you are connected to WiFi. For ANYTHING to come through from an outside source you need:

1. Cellular service

2. WiFi

3. Bluetooth

So if texts are coming in you are connected to one of those systems. And if the originating person isn’t within 30 feet of you, it’s one of the first two (Bluetooth is very short range)

So if you put in airplane mode and connect to WiFi on the ship, you will receive texts as you normally do

Thanks for the explanations. I will have my phone turned off and in the safe but if I could get texts on the ipad that would be ok. My concern is/was HOW it was happening. We only use the att gophone package and someone mentioned a small amount of data was used with each text and didn't know how that would work.

Thanks for the explanations. I will have my phone turned off and in the safe but if I could get texts on the ipad that would be ok. My concern is/was HOW it was happening. We only use the att gophone package and someone mentioned a small amount of data was used with each text and didn't know how that would work.

When you put your phone (iPad works the same) in airplane mode it will turn cellular service, WiFi, and Bluetooth off. Often people will then go back in and turn WiFi and Bluetooth back on. But as long as your phone/tablet are in airplane mode you will not use cellular service or data so there won’t be any extra costs. The only way your tablet will receive a text in airplane mode is if it’s connected to WiFi.

You apparently have "Allow Calls on Other Devices" turned on. This allows calls to your phone to go to your iPad when the iPad is on and logged into your iCloud account.

To turn this off, go to Settings on your phone and choose Cellular, then Calls on Other Devices, and move the slider to Off. Calls will stop going to your iPad entirely.