Greek Island Shore excursions

Sherlock2018

We are a group of 8 cruising in September to the Greek Islands and would like to take private shore excursions - looking for recommendations for Corfu, Athens, Mykonos and Argostoli (although I think we have decided to just walk through Mykonos and go to a beach on that stop).

It's quite a haul, but we really enjoyed spending time in Fiskardo during our Argostoli stop. It's a really nice sea-side town. The Melissani Cave was neat to see, but very crowded. Because of the crowds, only a few minutes are spent in the cave.

Depending on how much time you have in Mykonos if possible do a morning tour to Delos. It is amazing. The whole island is an archeological site and the lower levels of houses in much of the town are still standing. It was one of the highlights of our Med cruise last year. We had plenty of time in the afternoon to wander around Mykonos itself.

My advice is two fold:

Visit the Greece Ports Of Call Board as recommended by CruiserBruce. Lots of information there on each port you have listed.

Also use Trip Advisor. I have found many private tours though them as well as gotten other ideas as to what to do on our own.

Keith

We used Private Greek Tours http://privategreecetours.com/ while in Athens. They were great! Our ship arrived early (3 hours early!) and they knew about that and were waiting for us at the ship terminal. We had a private, air conditioned car and driver for over 6 hours for 300 euros. There were 4 of us. He took us all over Athens, giving us lots of historical information while driving. We had adequate time at all the spots to look around and take pictures. I think we ended up seeing much more than if we had taken a hop on hop off bus. It was worth it. I highly recommend this company.

In Argostoli, we did not book any kind of tour. Consequently we simply went to one of the local beaches for a swim and then wandered around the town itself. The town, although clean, didn't really have much to see. And while the swim was lovely, the beach was not spectacular like some that one sees in pictures. I think most people at this port need to take some kind of tour to really see something special.