A bit of a whine as a no show......

ridgecreekhokie

my wife and I along with another couple were booked on Summit out of fll 3/29. My bride tripped in the airport the day before dislocating/ breaking her ankle. Instead of a enjoyable little cruise, we spent the day in the emergency room followed by surgery to insert plates and screws the following week. Our payments were forfeited as no shows (although we will be refunded the taxes and port charges).

I was somewhat surprised (hence the whine) that we will not be credited Captain’s Club points (which would have put us to elite plus) since we did not “complete the cruise”. Hell, we completed the payment. It’s only a few lattes and a little extra laundry, but after 30 or so Celebrity cruises I did notice.

Yes, it works pretty much like airline miles. You don’t get them unless you fly. Same with cruise points on Celebrity.

They MIGHT give you some partial credit on a future cruise, for which you would then get the points. If they gave you the points for the missed cruise, you would then get them twice, in a way.

Interesting.

On the flip side, our friends were unable to make a recent cruise, The booking travel agent was still paid the commission even though they were no shows.

TA's are commissioned on 'paid' and not refunded bookings, regardless if the passenger sailed or not.

bon voyage

Interesting.

On the flip side, our friends were unable to make a recent cruise, The booking travel agent was still paid the commission even though they were no shows.

The TA gets paid a commission to manage the booking (bookings, changes, payments, questions, etc) whether or not the passenger takes the trip is not something the TA is responsible for so no reason for them not to be paid.

May I suggest to anyone who reads this to get a Costco Citi card or I think, any Citi card? If you use it to purchase any portion of any travel, flight or cruise you are automaticlly protected with trip insurance. It is quite comprehensive and includes illness by you, your spouse your family member not on the trip and even your pet if you can believe that. It costs nothing extra. It is a perk that just comes with using the card. It goes up to 5000 per person per trip.

my wife and I along with another couple were booked on Summit out of fll 3/29. My bride tripped in the airport the day before dislocating/ breaking her ankle. Instead of a enjoyable little cruise, we spent the day in the emergency room followed by surgery to insert plates and screws the following week. Our payments were forfeited as no shows (although we will be refunded the taxes and port charges).

I was somewhat surprised (hence the whine) that we will not be credited Captain’s Club points (which would have put us to elite plus) since we did not “complete the cruise”. Hell, we completed the payment. It’s only a few lattes and a little extra laundry, but after 30 or so Celebrity cruises I did notice.

So sorry to hear about your wife's accident but nope, you will not be credited. It happened to me. I was rushed to the ER the day before our cruise. I was told I could not travel for 3-4 weeks. I called Celebrity, the Captain's Club and even wrote a nice letter enclosing copies of my hospital papers. But to no avail. They said it would be like "selling points" and you must actually sail and complete the cruise.

First of all, I am so sorry to read that your wife broke her ankle and I hope she is mending well. Please call your credit card company that you used to pay for your cruise. My sister-in-law had to have emergency surgery 3 days before their cruise and they had no travel insurance, but to my brother’s surprise he called the cc company and he was reimbursed all of his money:) I hope this works for you as well.

May I suggest to anyone who reads this to get a Costco Citi card or I think, any Citi card? If you use it to purchase any portion of any travel, flight or cruise you are automaticlly protected with trip insurance. It is quite comprehensive and includes illness by you, your spouse your family member not on the trip and even your pet if you can believe that. It costs nothing extra. It is a perk that just comes with using the card. It goes up to 5000 per person per trip.

Other credit cards works also...check them all:)

The more I think of your and your wife’s situation, I feel so badly for you. We all look so forward to our next cruise...counting down the months, weeks, days...and then hours. Hopefully you’re planning your next cruise while recuperating. I also have a feeling you will be adding travel ins from now on....as we have all gambled with this. It would have been so much worse if your wife had broken her ankle on one of the islands.

When you join Captains club, they clearly state in the terms that you don’t get the points unless you complete the cruise. If you are now a Captains Club member you agreed to those terms.

Wow...I have this card and never knew those details. Thank you for sharing that information, as I use it for my trips. I will definitely use this for my next trip and only buy additional trip insurance for medical etc...

OP, Ibam sorry about your wife's accident and hope she recovers. Yes, Celebrity does go by these rules and you need insurance if you expect to be reimbursed...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would also like to say I am very sorry for your cancelled plans and all your wife's suffering. I do hope she is recovering well. I would also advise you to contact your CC company and see if they will do something for you.

We cancelled a B2B last month and I am still mourning and following the cruise every day, so I really do know how it feels. Best thing to do is plan another cruise soon.:)

Wishing you both the best.

Sounds like a great card. Do you know if there is an age limit to this amazing coverage? I know many cards will not cover you after age 65.

For cards, you also need to check the terms and conditions to see what all is covered. Many will only cover what you put on the card itself, so, for example, if you booked the hotel on Card A but put the flights on Card B, Card A would only pay for the hotel.

So sorry that your wife had an accident.:( How heart breaking. I worry about something happening before each of our cruises. We also take out annual insurance and hopefully will never need to use it.

You said you have 30 Celebrity cruises and you are not already Elite+:confused:? :confused: We only have 17 Celebrity cruises and have been Elite+ for the last few cruises.

Unfortunately, i was told that insurance is only up to $3,000 pp and no pet insurance. but that is what I was told; I am going o look up that information to see it in writing...not doubting you at all, but just want to read it.

Unfortunately, i was told that insurance is only up to $3,000 pp and no pet insurance. but that is what I was told; I am going o look up that information to see it in writing...not doubting you at all, but just want to read it.

I just double checked. You may need the world platinum select. If you do, sign on and check travel benefits.

Here is what it says;,

We may cover the cost for nonrefundable Trip expenses if certain unforeseen events get in the way of your Trip. Some examples include: sickness, injury, death of the Covered Traveler(s) and weather issues. If a Trip is cancelled, interrupted or extended for a covered reason (see What’s Covered), you may be reimbursed up to $5,000 per Covered Traveler per Trip. To be eligible for coverage under this benefit, your Citi card and/ or AAdvantage® miles must be used to purchase at least a portion of the Trip. In the event of partial payment, we will only reimburse the lesser of the actual amount paid for with your Citi card (including AAdvantage® miles) or the maximum coverage per Trip.

WHO’S COVERED Covered Travelers, which means, you, your Family Members, and Traveling Companion(s) traveling on the Trip.

Family Members means your children, spouse, fiancée, Domestic Partner and their children, including adopted children or step-children; legal guardians or wards; siblings or siblings-in-law; son-in-law or daughter-in-law; parents or parents-in-law; grandparents or grandchildren; aunts or uncles; nieces or nephews. Traveling Companion means any individual(s) for whom you have paid to travel on your or your Family Member’s trip using your Citi card and/ or AAdvantage® miles. Domestic Partner means a committed relationship between two unmarried adults, in which the partners, (1) are each other’s sole Domestic Partner, (2) maintain a common residence, (3) share f inancial obligations if both are employed, (4) are not married or joined in a civil union to anyone else or are not the Domestic Partner of anyone else, and (5) are not blood related.

Covered Reasons: Illness or Personal Matters: ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ The Covered Traveler(s) becomes sick or injured, and is advised by a licensed medical practitioner not to travel. The Covered Traveler(s) is advised by a licensed medical practitioner not to travel after the purchase date of the Trip due to a medical advisory issued by a health or government agency, that directly affects the Covered Traveler’s Trip Destination. The Covered Traveler’s Family Member, not traveling on the Trip, has an injury or illness that is either life threatening or requires care from the Covered Traveler(s) and is verified by a licensed medical practitioner. The Covered Traveler’s Pet has an injury or serious illness that is either life threatening or requires care and is verified by a licensed veterinarian. Pet(s) means any domesticated or tamed animal that is kept as a companion and cared for affectionately. The Covered Traveler(s) dies. The Covered Traveler’s Family Member, not traveling on the Trip, dies. The Covered Traveler(s) is laid off or fired from their job.

There is more, but this is the good stuff. Not bad for free.

I believe the OP was disappointed that he and his wife wouldn’t receive Captain’s club points for the cruise (since they had paid for it). He did not say he expected a refund from Celebrity. He did not mention travel insurance, but we shouldn’t assume he had none.

OP, I hope your wife has a swift recovery.

Edited by Silkroad

So sorry that your wife had an accident.:( How heart breaking. I worry about something happening before each of our cruises. We also take out annual insurance and hopefully will never need to use it.

You said you have 30 Celebrity cruises and you are not already Elite+:confused:? :confused: We only have 17 Celebrity cruises and have been Elite+ for the last few cruises.

Don't forget it is the length of cruises and the type of stateroom that gives you the Captains Club points to rise through the tiers. A few Suites will get you way up the ladder.