Passports on ports of call

We are on the Viking Sky and have been asked to take our passports with us for at least half of the stops. We were surprised. Supposedly this is at the request of the port. We were never asked to show them.

Hm, I don’t really want to walk around everywhere without passports. Is there even passport control at ports other than SPB?

Sometimes you need official ID for entrance to certain places. However, if I don’t need it I don’t want to carry it; I feel it is safer in a safe onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your ship will tell you each day if you need to take your passport with you. This last year it seems to happen much more often than it used to. I recall they did actually check them at passport control and put them through the computer when we called at Kiev, Germany for example. Other times we were told to take them but nobody checked. So just wait and see is my advice!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Your ship will tell you each day if you need to take your passport with you. This last year it seems to happen much more often than it used to. I recall they did actually check them at passport control and put them through the computer when we called at Kiev, Germany for example. Other times we were told to take them but nobody checked. So just wait and see is my advice!

r

Ok, will make copies anyway to be safe

If you need a passport a copy is likely not acceptable. They can’t be run through a reader if that is required.

Yes I know, that’s why I was asking if they have passport control, and it sounds sometimes like the shop tells you to tad it with you even if it’s not necessary. I’d rather not carry them around, so wondering what the controls on those countries weee if anything.

Yes I know, that’s why I was asking if they have passport control, and it sounds sometimes like the shop tells you to tad it with you even if it’s not necessary. I’d rather not carry them around, so wondering what the controls on those countries weee if anything.

You will only go through passport control upon entering the Schengen zone and again in Russia (immigration).

On a Baltic cruise, assuming you are from the US or Canada, you will usually need to go through passport control only 2 times. Once upon entering the Schengen zone (Copenhagen, Berlin/Warnemunde/Rostock, Amsterdam, or from wherever your cruise begins) and once again in Russia (not part of Schengen zone & visa is required).

You will actually go through passport control upon arrival in the Schengen zone via air - this will occur at the airport - not your ship.

The possible exception to the above is if your cruise begins in the UK (Southampton). In this case, you might need to go through passport control upon entering your first Schengen port.

There will be no passport control in Tallinn, Helsinki or Stockholm as they are all Schengen.

You will simply show your sail pass (or whatever they call it on your ship) when you disembark in these ports.

Last year we departed from Southampton to Baltics. Passports were required in SPB as expected and Warnemunde, Germany.

No passport, no getting off the ship.

Please ensure you have insurance for a lost or stolen Passport. Certainly in the UK cheap travel insurance can remove this cover altogether. Getting a new passport can soon get very expensive.

No passport control except Russia. Certain ports are asking including 1 of the 3 did in Norway. I think that the shots are working more in collaboration with the ports. I believe that dinner places are requiring this in case of problems that might assist in port.

Last year we departed from Southampton to Baltics. Passports were required in SPB as expected and Warnemunde, Germany.

No passport, no getting off the ship.

Please ensure you have insurance for a lost or stolen Passport. Certainly in the UK cheap travel insurance can remove this cover altogether. Getting a new passport can soon get very expensive.

I've never heard about insurance for lost or stolen passports. Is it part of other travel insurance? I have out-of-province medical insurance from work so I only get a non-medical package, but I've never heard of that coverage.

Wow, I just went to look at CAA travel insurance. As part of vacation packages (both including and excluding medical) there is Lost Document protection, which pays up to CAD$50 (CAD$200 for passport). I don't know whether this is a new coverage or not; I have never seen it before.

Edited by gnome12
added additional information

Some people take their passport off every time leave the ship in port and some take photocopies and some do not take anything more than a drivers licence unless told otherwise by the ship. In all our travelling, I never thought much about it until last fall.

After our last Europe cruise, I am more comfortable taking my passport at each port. While in France last fall, our friend fell and ended up in the hospital. The first thing they asked for was the passport so they could photocopy it. Then all the other info, like address etc. Not sure how her injury would have been handled if she did not have her passport with her. Also, as a result of the accident, time back to the ship was close and there was talk about keeping her in the hospital. Imagine being left in a country with no passport.

As we get older some of us get less adventuresome, and that is likely us, but we now take our passport with us off the ship in any foreign country.

Some people take their passport off every time leave the ship in port and some take photocopies and some do not take anything more than a drivers licence unless told otherwise by the ship. In all our travelling, I never thought much about it until last fall.

After our last Europe cruise, I am more comfortable taking my passport at each port. While in France last fall, our friend fell and ended up in the hospital. The first thing they asked for was the passport so they could photocopy it. Then all the other info, like address etc. Not sure how her injury would have been handled if she did not have her passport with her. Also, as a result of the accident, time back to the ship was close and there was talk about keeping her in the hospital. Imagine being left in a country with no passport.

As we get older some of us get less adventuresome, and that is likely us, but we now take our passport with us off the ship in any foreign country.

Very good advice to us all. Thank you![emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G903W using Forums mobile app

The ship will usually tell you when to take your passport ashore some Countries require you to have it but that said we were never asked to produce it with the exception of Russia

Countries that I can recall requiring them is the Netherlands & France

I carry a coloured photo copy in the other ports & passport is on the ship ...I know the copy will not get me home & since traveller's cheques are like the Dodo bird not needed there

Some hotels will require a passport at check in never tried to use the copy there

JMO

Not sure if your CA in your I.D. is for Canada or California

you can check the rules at

US Citizens

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages.html

Canadian Citizens

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

Canadians are required to carry their passport in the Netherlands

Edited by LHT28

If the ship tells you to take it with you, it will never be ‘not necessary’. It simply means that on that occasion nobody checked. There is a difference! It is best to follow the ship’s instructions on this.

Canadians are required to carry their passport in the Netherlands

Is that something new? I don’t remember needing a passport in 2010 and I’m sure I would have left it in the safe. On my barge and cycle in 2014 we didn’t have safes so I would have carried it with me.

Is that something new? I don’t remember needing a passport in 2010 and I’m sure I would have left it in the safe. On my barge and cycle in 2014 we didn’t have safes so I would have carried it with me.

not new as far as I know

We were told to carry our passports with us in 2010

maybe you just never read the rules

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/netherlands

Identification

You must carry valid identification at all times if you are over the age of 14. Law enforcement authorities may fine you if you fail to show them appropriate identification upon request.

The following documents, if valid, are acceptable identification:

• passports
  • Dutch residence permits
  • driver’s licences issued in the Netherlands or elsewhere in the European Union and the European Economic Area

Keep photocopies or digital copies of the following documents in case they are lost or seized:

• the identification page of your passport
  • your birth certificate
  • your Canadian citizenship card
  • your driver’s licence

not new as far as I know

We were told to carry our passports with us in 2010

maybe you just never read the rules

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/netherlands

Identification

You must carry valid identification at all times if you are over the age of 14. Law enforcement authorities may fine you if you fail to show them appropriate identification upon request.

The following documents, if valid, are acceptable identification:

• passports
  • Dutch residence permits
  • driver’s licences issued in the Netherlands or elsewhere in the European Union and the European Economic Area

Keep photocopies or digital copies of the following documents in case they are lost or seized:

• the identification page of your passport
  • your birth certificate
  • your Canadian citizenship card
  • your driver’s licence

I'm glad I never had to find out the consequences! I would assume then that it is true for citizens of other (non-European) countries, since besides a passport the only acceptable ID is a Dutch residence permit or a European driver's licence.

We fall into the category of taking our passports off whenever we leave the ship in these ports. That's just us, but if it makes us feel better, and a bit safer, then why not do it. We feel, if, God forbid, anything happens and we need our passports, we have them.

Funny thing is, we also carry a color copy just in case we might lose the originals, but that is also highly unlikely as my DW guards them closer than our money. :D:D:D:D.

If it makes you feel better to have it, take them. If you feel it would be safer to leave them on the ship,. that works also.

Cheers

Len