Documents when in port

Rmt1948

sorry, know I have seen this before but can’t seem to locate it again. What should you carry off the ship when it port? For example credit card, some money, drivers license, passport or just copies?

Thanks.

Maury

I carry a copy of my passport, a credit card, and as much cash as I think I may need for the time in port. I also tear off information from the ship's daily notes the name and phone number for port "officer" just in case I need it. I don't know if that's what I should do, but it's what I do. One other thing is the cash is split between my husband and I so it's not all in one place.

sorry, know I have seen this before but can’t seem to locate it again. What should you carry off the ship when it port? For example credit card, some money, drivers license, passport or just copies?

Thanks.

Maury

You are going to get dozens of varying answers.

We take our ship's card, a cc, a photo ID, and some cash. We never take passport or copies ashore based on the facts that the lines we often sail on collect and hold passports at embarkation. Clearly there is no need for it. Others will tell you to take it.

There are only two must haves for people 16 and over - a photo ID, and a ship card, anything else is up to you.

In the Caribbean. you need nothing but some sort of money and a DL....and that's not even needed at all ports. You do NOT need your passport at all.You should always have some sort of ID on you..whether at home or out and about!

As indicated in other replies, you should bring

• Ship's ID card [essential for re-boarding]
  • Government issue photo ID [for some ports, you will need a photo ID to get to a place where the ship's ID is scanned - for example to access the tender pier in Newport RI]
  • Contact information for the ship's 'port agent' [often in the ship's daily paper]
  • Contact info or tickets for third party excursions
  • Normal shore stuff [credit card/atm card; cash; cell phone; umbrella; beach gear.....]

There are very few ports where it is normal to carry a passport - but there are times when you need to present a passport to leave the port, and again before re-boarding the ship. In between there was no secure place to store the passport. We needed to do this for a shore excursion at LeHarve visiting the Normandy D Day beaches [got two stamps that day]