I'm curious - when do you get to the port and why?

Noon-ish works for me, too.

Used to try to get on as soon as possible and make myself crazy to do so. You run into the people disembarking, and the lines to get checked in.

Miss all the lines, crowds, etc. by taking my time and not stressing. My cabin is usually ready by the time I board. I drop off the luggage. Head to a bar or wait staff to grab a drink of the day. Wander around....have another drink or two. Miss the crowd to grab a bite.

Then, head to sail away....easy-peezy.....no stress!

I have 25 cruises under my belt. First 23 cruises I’d get to the port around 10-10:30 and be amongst the first on, for many of the reasons listed by others. The last two cruises, I ended up sleeping in at my pre-cruise hotel, and got to the ports around noon. No waiting in line, and I was able to walk right on the ship after checking in at both Miami (Escape December 17) and Barcelona (Epic July 18). I’ll aim for noon in the future. I find Vibe overrated and I like not having to wait around.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I learned far earlier than my 23rd cruise to embark later than most.

I understand the thrill and excitement many feel about being among the first to board and gladly step aside to be one less warm body vying for the same coveted "fresh space" (that only lasts for about an hour).

Are all the dining rooms open for lunch on departure day ? I will be sailing on the Bliss . and would be a great place to get our group to meet up at :cool:

I don't know specifically about the BLISS but usually the smaller of the two MDRs is open for embarking lunch.

That MDR would be the one mid-central in the ship and not the one in the aft.

Yes would be a smart location as the ships Buffet is usually chaos and crowded with guests with luggage waiting

for their cabins to be occupied and squared away.

The Specialty restaurants won't be open until after 5 or so and by reservation.

Do you prefer being among the first to board? One of the last to board? Somewhere in the middle?

Perhaps you vary depending on Embarkation terminal?

This is my second cruise and I have picked the earliest slot available, 9:30-10:00 arrival.

My previous cruise was my first and my travel partner and I flew in the day of, arriving at the terminal around 11:30 and we were onboard by 1PM.

I like to get there early...as early as I can so I can start enjoying the ship! We always fly in at least a day before in this next cruise .. a few days..we want to see Rome...last cruise we spent a few days in Barcelona before boarding. If we are boarding in the USA we fly in a day ahead of time.

Leaving out of NYC, we aim for about 10:30. We live about 5.5 hours away and I want to make sure to leave plenty of cushion in case we run into traffic or have any car problems. By the time we get through security and get checked in, boarding should be starting, so we don't have to wait long. Then we have plenty of time to get lunch, a few drinks, and explore the ship before muster.

I would have thought noon would be a mad house, but I guess by the first rush and backup of people waiting is over. I may give that a shot. I would worry it might be harder to find parking by then, however.

Waiting til the day of the cruise to fly in is risky, especially when you are cruising abroad. On our January cruise in Asia, our plane was so late that we missed our connection in LA. As a result, we could not go out until the next day. And we could not even get to Singapore for two days due to other connection problems. Fortunately, I had planned 4 days in Singapore. Otherwise, we would have missed our cruise. I have known of people who missed Caribbean cruises due to bad weather. People have talked about that on this forum. Just not a good plan.

Waiting til the day of the cruise to fly in is risky, especially when you are cruising abroad. On our January cruise in Asia, our plane was so late that we missed our connection in LA. As a result, we could not go out until the next day. And we could not even get to Singapore for two days due to other connection problems. Fortunately, I had planned 4 days in Singapore. Otherwise, we would have missed our cruise. I have known of people who missed Caribbean cruises due to bad weather. People have talked about that on this forum. Just not a good plan.

Definitely agree with this. Even though we live in Savannah and our cruise is leaving from Miami, we are still flying in over 24 hours before our sail date/time, and also staying over in Miami the day we arrive back in port (Sunday) and not flying home until Monday noon. If anything happens with our flights going to Miami, I can still drive there in less than seven hours if needed. I have just had too many business trips that were messed up by flight delays/cancellations to take any chances.

Plus, we get to start the party early!! :tropical-drink:

When we cruised out of NYC, we stayed at a hotel in NYC the night before. Our friends- who were surprising us taking the same cruise, took a train from RI to NYC the day of. Unexpected train delays in the middle of the train trip left them running into the cruise port to embark with a few minutes left! It is not only airplanes that can cause a big headache!

For my next cruise I signed up for the 9:30-10:00am check in time. I know they never start boarding until 11:30am at the earliest but it just feels like vacation has begun when my taxi pulls up to the ship and I love that vacation is starting feeling!

As early as practical.

Three big reasons:

1) I know if I arrive really early (1000), it's highly unlikely I will be able to board. I'll be stuck in that waiting room. Getting their early lets me stake out a nice quiet spot, near an outlet. Also the people watching is fantastic.

2) Planning to get their early leaves plenty of room for error in your travels. If you plan on getting there at 1000 and you're 4 hrs late, it sucks but you'll drown your woes in the drink package. You plan on getting there at 1300 and you're 4 hours late, you're going to have a bad time

3) I paid damn good money for this cruise and this drink package. You bet I'm going to get my money's worth.

As early as practical.

Three big reasons:

1) I know if I arrive really early (1000), it's highly unlikely I will be able to board. I'll be stuck in that waiting room. Getting their early lets me stake out a nice quiet spot, near an outlet. Also the people watching is fantastic.

2) Planning to get their early leaves plenty of room for error in your travels. If you plan on getting there at 1000 and you're 4 hrs late, it sucks but you'll drown your woes in the drink package. You plan on getting there at 1300 and you're 4 hours late, you're going to have a bad time

3) I paid damn good money for this cruise and this drink package. You bet I'm going to get my money's worth.

LOL #3 The drinkers understands this perfectly. And what's another $12-$15 in City taxes if sailing from some ports.

LOL #3 The drinkers understands this perfectly. And what's another $12-$15 in City taxes if sailing from some ports.

That’s exactly right! Some of us pay that much for a drink in our home cities(if not more). AND, it’s VACATION🎊🎉🎉🌈🤩

Oh yeah. We board in 49 hours. Flew in last night, plane delayed 3 hours. Visit friends for the weekend, drive 2 hours to MIami and presto! Party!

Wow! You would have to generate a bar tab of at least $120 before the ship reaches international waters in order to owe $12-$15 in taxes!

Wow! You would have to generate a bar tab of at least $120 before the ship reaches international waters in order to owe $12-$15 in taxes!

Don't judge it can be done.

6 drinks x 2 in 5 hours before sailing if drinking 15.00 drinks is approx 10.80 or so.

Your on vacation let the party start.

Plus if your drinking super premium brands your paying tax on that plus the 20% gratuity and the difference of the 15.00 limit.

It can add up quickly!

Edited by beerman2

We arrive as early as possible so that we can wait in a line at least an hour for the check-in to start and then we get to sit on uncomfortable chairs in a large waiting room for another hour or so before boarding starts. The best part about early arrival is that after the cruise you can log onto Cruise Critic and complain about the long boarding process.

6 drinks x 2 in 5 hours before sailing if drinking 15.00 drinks is approx 10.80 or so.

Plus if your drinking super premium brands your paying tax on that plus the 20% gratuity and the difference of the 15.00 limit.

It can add up quickly!

Figure it this way: A minute without a drink is a minute you're not taking full advantage of something you paid hundreds for. It's like you're throwing away money!

So really, it's fiscally responsible to drink from the moment you get on board until the moment you depart.

#logic

• 2 weeks later...

I have the drink package ..and was told by out travel agent that drinks while still tied up at departure port.. is not included in my package ... does anyone know if this is true for the Bliss out of NYC ???

^ This. Also to have lunch so those 3-4 beverages don't come back up during muster. :'):'):')

I have the drink package ..and was told by out travel agent that drinks while still tied up at departure port.. is not included in my package ... does anyone know if this is true for the Bliss out of NYC ???

It can add up quickly!

Totally false, at least for the 3 Norwegian cruises that I have been on. Drinks are included while in port. You will be charged tax while in port for each drink (as has been previously mentioned). Your TA sounds confused.