Question about Medications

BulldogBob53

Have travelled the world for 40 years and have never been questioned about prescription or OTC meds. We frequently travel for over 6 months at a time, so have a requisite supply in our hand baggage.

I use a weekly pill box, with remainder in the original containers. DW uses a 4-week pill box, with remainder in original containers. Don't carry prescriptions or doctor's note, but DW has a list of her meds on her fruit thing.

Are we in compliance with border regulations - No. However, we have had bags inspected and have never been questioned. Yes, we are at risk, but in reality with our age and travel history we are low risk.

When we travelled for almost 2 months to Australia and New Zealand, we used original bottles instead of 8 weekly reminders. We get most meds thru mail order in 90 day supplies quantity, so we don't break them down for lengthy travel. For a week or 2 sure, but for months away, nope.

JMO, YMMV.

What makes you think having an out of date bottle will make things better?

Better to take the CURRENT bottle, and put extras in the OLD bottle at HOME.

But again, 25+ years of international travel, over 140 countries. And I always carry them in a weekly pill box without any issues.

Because a Customs agent we know said as long as as the bottle shows refills available they know it's an active on going script

When it comes to certain medications, it's a wise idea to have original bottle with the name of the traveler and dosage instructions wherever you go including driving on US roads. My daughter was carrying ADHD medication in a ziplock baggie in her purse not thinking there was anything wrong with that. A cop pulled her over for speeding as asked to search her car. She said sure thinking she had nothing to hide. He found the pills and issued a paper arrest warrant for her to appear in court. She had to show the judge the RX for the medication in order to get it dismissed. ALWAYS carry the RX bottle or written RX with you to be on the safe side. Who knew ADHD medication is sold to college kids wanting to get high/speed from ADHD meds. It made me aware for myself when that happened as I would be handed a narcotic pill for my mom to take while I took her out of the adult care home. Now I just refuse to take them and make sure mom is back home before her med is due. I also would carry a hydrocodone in a little pill container in case my back started hurting. Now I have to take up more space in my purse by putting that one pill in a RX bottle with my dosage info.

I always put my RX bottles in a ziploc at the top of my carry on bag when flying. i also travel with l a little jewelry and one time the TSA person scanned my bag and saw the jewelry in the x-ray. She said she wanted to see it,. okay, She z ipped open my b ag to get the jewelry pouch. First she saw the RX bottles in the ziploc, looked a t me neand said it was good i kept those pills in the pharmacy bottles or I could have risked losing them. Had they been tossed out, I would have had to go home. i cannot be away for two weeks without my meds i know what the website says but I do not want to be the person standing at TSA security arguing with the agent about what the web site says while they are boading my flight.. If you cannot risk having them confiscated, keep your meds in pharmacy bottles.

That never happed again but I never go through an airport with my meds not in pharmacy bottle. It was a good lesson for me.

At the end of my Dh's life when he was still able to travel, i made sure to pack alll of his Rx meds in a z iploc in HIS carryon. I always took care that his pills were in his bag and mine were in my bag. I did not want to risk tapdance explaining why I had his pills in my bag or he had mine in his bag. Think the way 'they' might and a void a hassle.

Why create a possible issue when it is so easy to avoid?

Bottom line....what it says on the prescription pill bottle is meaningless. So is the documentation save a cursory look.

If someone was so inclined they could put any pill in any old prescription bottle. Letters etc. can be done up on a home printer in minutes to look like physicians notes or long from prescriptions.

After years of international travel we have not once been questioned about medications in our carry on. We have been questioned about the odd small corkscrew, nail file, tiny scissors, and yes even had a 50ml of bug spay confiscated.

We do not fit the demographic that customs and immigration is looking for. Far from it. Besides, many have dogs that do the job for them. They have more important tasks than questioning what pills a couple of grey haired oldies have in a bottle-prescription or otherwise. They know some of us carry heart medication, blood pressure pills, ...whatever. They see hundreds of people like us every day. We put all the pills in one bottle.

When we go for 2 months we take 2 1/2 months supply.

Edited by iancal

If someone was so inclined they could put any pill in any old prescription bottle. Letters etc. can be done up on a home printer in minutes to look like physicians notes or long from prescriptions.

Every restricted pill has a unique appearance. A simple internet search can provide the necessary information to verify contents.

Sure prescription labels can be faked. Doubtful though that anyone would go to those lengths for a few pills. Besides, a simple call to the phone number on the label will verify the prescription.

When it comes to certain medications, it's a wise idea to have original bottle with the name of the traveler and dosage instructions wherever you go including driving on US roads.

Who knew ADHD medication is sold to college kids wanting to get high/speed from ADHD meds.

Yes, with certain meds.

Any reasonable parent should know this. It is not new.

Yes, with certain meds.

Any reasonable parent should know this. It is not new.

My daughter is not the parent of an ADHD child. She is the caregiver so she had a few pills on her in the event she needed it for her roommates child. She didn't know the effects on non-ADHD people. My post was simply a warning. I often carry tiny pill containers in my purse that contain pain medication - no RX container or label. I never even considered that this could put me in jail. Or that carrying a pill for my mom that is with me could also put me in jail. Yes it could all be straightened our in court with proof of prescription but why go thru the hassle when you can just as easy be prepared and have it in the properly marked container. :eek:

We use the daily pill boxes and put extras into small separate baggies. Way too many original bottles to take with. Each medication has a unique marking code as to what it is.

It's a good idea to bring a list of your prescriptions and the separate rx attached to your rx receipt.

My daughter is not the parent of an ADHD child. She is the caregiver so she had a few pills on her in the event she needed it for her roommates child. She didn't know the effects on non-ADHD people. My post was simply a warning. I often carry tiny pill containers in my purse that contain pain medication - no RX container or label. I never even considered that this could put me in jail. Or that carrying a pill for my mom that is with me could also put me in jail. Yes it could all be straightened our in court with proof of prescription but why go thru the hassle when you can just as easy be prepared and have it in the properly marked container. :eek:

It depends on the drug.

As a caregiver, it would have been nice for her to know that it is a drug of abuse, and therefore keep it more controlled.

As for pain reliever, it depends. If it is a narcotic, I would not carry it unless it was in a CURRENT prescription bottle.

This would include any of the oxycontin, codeine, or morphine based pain killers.

But non-narcotic or drugs that are not a target for abuse, should be no problem.

We keep our medications in original containers, except for the OTC things like fish oil or vitamins.

We also each have a word document we keep updated on our computers so we can easily print it out and take it with us. It contains a list of all medications, and surgeries.

We had an incident a few years ago when I keep passing out when I stood up, DH called for help and when the paramedics arrived they asked about my medications. He did not know what I was taking, fortunately I was tell them after some IV fluids. We each keep a copy of our list on our frig so it is handy in an emergency.