Norovirus & hand sanitisers

Hi,

With recent outbreaks of Norovirus on cruise ships visiting Australia making news & being discussed here on the CC forums, I decided to do some extra research into what hand sanitiser products available here in Australia will kill Noro Virus.

From my understanding & my internet research in the past most alcohol based sanitisers don't kill Noro Virus & you need to find a product that contains Benzalkonium Chloride.

I found an Australia company that is actually producing a hand santiser called Hands First with this ingredient & it also has the benefits of not drying your hands like the Alcohol based products.

]I rang & spoke with them & the reason they developed this product was because they are cruisers like us & couldn't find a product that didn't dry out their hands etc.

I have no affiliation with this company at all, just thought I would pass on this info as you can only buy it via their website & at a few Blooms chemists so it's easy to not be aware of.

Plus I like to buy Australian made when I can. :)

Your research is correct, there is also a UK product that does kill noro but it is very expensive.

This Aussie product is very reasonably priced at $3.50 for a 50ml purse size or $6.50 for 200ml bottle & you can refill the travel size from the larger bottle.

They have larger hand dispenser sizes etc for home, but we only want it for cruising so the smaller sizes are perfect for our needs.

Postage was also quite cheap.

Glad the info has been of use.:)

Nothing out weighs correct hand washing regularly. That means not just a flick under the tap.

To help folks know correct hand washing I have taken the liberty to post!

1. Wet hands under running water
  2. Apply soap
  3. Rub hands together for at least 20 seconds being sure to rub up to your wrists, between your fingers and under your finger nails
  4. Rinse your hands under running water
  5. Dry your hands on a clean, single use paper towel
  6. Turn the water off using the paper towel
  7. Dispose of the paper towel without touching the waste receptacle with your hands
  8. Use paper towel to open the door to exit

how-to-wash-hands.jpg

I think their sales are about to increase. I will be looking for this product for sure. Yes, washing hands is always the best, but there are a few times you can't get to do this....especially when in transit. Love the idea of having some in my handbag for these times.

Thanks for sharing the info.

Good post Happy Aussies, it's amazing how many people do not know how to wash their hands correctly.

In europe we often experienced the automatic water on/off foot pressure pad set up, so no need to even touch any taps as they don't exist. That would be a good system to install on the ships considering the Noro issues.

And if done correctly hand washing it is very effective against the nasties.

Unfortunately after washing your hands if you then walk down the stairs holding the hand rails, touch the lift buttons, etc on your way to the dining room you can pick up what you just washed off all over again. :eek:

That's were having a hand sanitiser with the correct active ingredient that is known to kill Noro becomes useful, also useful onshore where there is no nearby bathroom to wash your hands.

We don't use sanitiser at home, but handy to have when travelling.

Agree it is all the nasties you pick up after you wash your hands. I personally think each table in the "eating areas" should have santizer on it!

How often do you see people lining in the buffet and walk straight past the hand sanitizser dispenser............yuck!

I'm not afraid to be loud in this area about the need to enter with clean hands! In the hope that it will "prick" people's actions! ;)

Agree it is all the nasties you pick up after you wash your hands. I personally think each table in the "eating areas" should have santizer on it!

How often do you see people lining in the buffet and walk straight past the hand sanitizser dispenser............yuck!

I'm not afraid to be loud in this area about the need to enter with clean hands! In the hope that it will "prick" people's actions! ;)

I agree, I saw plenty just walking by ignoring the hand sanitiser.

Probably the same people that use their fingers to pick up food & do a taste test using the salad dressing ladle!

If RCCL started using the non drying non alcohol sanitisers then that may encourage more people to use it as well, as some may avoid it due to it's unpleasant side effects, plus they last longer on your skin than the other type so kill the bugs for longer. A win, win!:)

great thread. Thanks

I have never been on a cruise before, but see on these forums the huge amounts of people that discuss hand sanitisers, cleaning door handles, remote controls etc.

Now I am curious, why is it that this is such an issue on cruise ships, but not in hotel rooms, on shopping centre elevators etc?

I am just wondering why this seems to be such a big issue on cruise ships.

Having said all that, although I have travelled expensively and never bothered with cleaning everything wherever I go, I wont be taking any chances, and will be taking some hand sanitiser with me on my first cruise next month

great thread. Thanks

I have never been on a cruise before, but see on these forums the huge amounts of people that discuss hand sanitisers, cleaning door handles, remote controls etc.

Now I am curious, why is it that this is such an issue on cruise ships, but not in hotel rooms, on shopping centre elevators etc?

I am just wondering why this seems to be such a big issue on cruise ships.

Having said all that, although I have travelled expensively and never bothered with cleaning everything wherever I go, I wont be taking any chances, and will be taking some hand sanitiser with me on my first cruise next month

Hi DT,

It's not that Norovirus is anymore prevalent on cruise ships, but that the symptoms can be tracked as the people suffering the effects are all contained in one place for a set period of time.

It is also common in hospitals, nursing homes, prisons, summer camps etc due to it being easily recorded, but when people pick it up at the local shopping centre food court, they don't get tracked & they don't always associate the illness with the food court.

My husband picked up a severe case of it on a land based trip in Morocco/Spain, he was sick for several days, but we can't pinpoint were her contracted it of course, other than the country.:)

The majority of cruise passengers never experience Noro, but it pays to be aware & take reasonable precautions. Enjoy your cruise!

People perceive it to be a bigger issue on cruise ships because it's a lot of people sharing a comparatively confined space and that, plus poor personal hygiene habits, is a perfect breeding ground for gastro bugs to spread quickly. Having your long anticipated cruise ruined by a stomach upset makes it seem much worse than if it happens at home.

But you are quite right, noro isn't some kind of nasty super bug unique to ships, it can appear in the "real world" too like schools, offices, hotels, etc.

The important thing to remember is that taking these simple precautions can not only protect you from picking up the virus, it also helps protect other people from picking it up too. There are some selfish and irresponsible fools out there who cruise knowing they are contagious ("nothing's gonna spoil MY vacation") but often people are unaware they are carriers and the damage is done before they develop symptoms.

I have noticed that the sanitizing dispensers they have on cruise ships , are now starting to appear in Hospitals as well.

Also , the media are starting to report outbreaks more when they happen now , and we currently have 2 Hospitals , that have Wards closed, and no visitors are permitted.

This is excellent information.

Our workplace is one where we have a lot of contact with people - to date we have placed the gel based hand sanitisers at every persons desk to promote regular use. I might replace that product now.

For those who know "health stuff" - would this also help with cutting down the odds of transmitting the flu?

Good post Happy Aussies, it's amazing how many people do not know how to wash their hands correctly.

I don't know what's scarier....that people in this day and age don't know how to wash hands OR that someone has the picturegram of how to wash hands saved to their hard drive....just in case seine asked how to?

:D

Hi,

With recent outbreaks of Norovirus on cruise ships visiting Australia making news & being discussed here on the CC forums, I decided to do some extra research into what hand sanitiser products available here in Australia will kill Noro Virus.

From my understanding & my internet research in the past most alcohol based sanitisers don't kill Noro Virus & you need to find a product that contains Benzalkonium Chloride.

I found an Australia company that is actually producing a hand santiser called Hands First with this ingredient & it also has the benefits of not drying your hands like the Alcohol based products.

]I rang & spoke with them & the reason they developed this product was because they are cruisers like us & couldn't find a product that didn't dry out their hands etc.

I have no affiliation with this company at all, just thought I would pass on this info as you can only buy it via their website & at a few Blooms chemists so it's easy to not be aware of.

Plus I like to buy Australian made when I can. :)

Thanks for this information.

Is there a Blooms chemist near the Overseas Passenger Terminal in Sydney?

Thanks for this information.

Is there a Blooms chemist near the Overseas Passenger Terminal in Sydney?

Hmm, not sure as I don't live in Sydney.

But a Google search reveals a website for Blooms with a list of store locations but none at Circular Quay.

Best bet is to order by email or phone from the manufacturer directly.

There contact details are on their website.

Yes it helps with all kind of bugs present in the environment.

As far as these (Gels) showing up in hospitasl now, with the extensive super bugs present in ALL hospitals and the antibiotic resisitant bugs that are developing we ALL have to be vigilant inside hospital and outside.

Please please use the gels entering hospital doorways and wards tooooooo! ;)

NOTE: There are correct ways to use sanitizer/hand rub also!

How_To_HandRub_Poster11_small.JPG

Archived